PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Samadhi?

rmystic
12 July 2008, 12:41 PM
Namaste

From what I have read, Samadhi is the state where the mind unites with its object of focus and then duality disappears. I've also read that in Samadhi there is also the sensation of bliss.

A few nights ago I was doing a session of Pranava Yoga (meditating on the syllable Aum) and during the session there was a non-dual experience that lasted for about two seconds. Aum as a syllable or having to do with language totally disappeared; it was not a word but an actual consciousness itself that was vast and everywhere. There was not a sense of myself; there was only Aum, so vast, and silent.

Being that there was not a sensation of bliss during this, is it possible that what I experienced was a pre-Samadhi experience?

Znanna
12 July 2008, 03:24 PM
Namaste,

What purpose does it serve to label this experience - rather, perhaps, labeling reduces understanding rather than increase wisdom?

Simply the practice of meditation will answer/address all, IMO.

ZN

rmystic
12 July 2008, 05:06 PM
Znanna

Namaste,
You are right, labeling could reduce wisdom. That reminds me of what is found in the Daodejing about that very thing.

My purpose though about labeling the experience is to know what exactly it was so that I never call something what it may not be.

yajvan
12 July 2008, 08:45 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Znanna

Namaste,
You are right, labeling could reduce wisdom. That reminds me of what is found in the Daodejing about that very thing.

My purpose though about labeling the experience is to know what exactly it was so that I never call something what it may not be.

Namaste rmystic,

We cannot not tell you from out here what your experience was. There are many posts that will help you on the matter here on HDF. Yet if you are new to this experience let me offer a a few ideas:

remain simple during your practice
expect nothing. This awareness you mention is very delicate. By questioning or expecting it during practice , you influence the experience - and move the mind and engage it. Engaging the mind, keeps it from just settling down.
the same awareness you may be using to question or expect is the SAME awareness you may be experiencing in that subtle simple state. Hence the notion of remaining simple and let things unfold. This awareness is Infinitely Intelligent it will know what to do if you provide the run way.
This Samadhi comes from not doing, not engaging - allowing the mind/awareness just to settle down. What remains is pure awareness.pranams