PDA

View Full Version : Evangelical Encounter

Sagefrakrobatik
14 July 2008, 07:00 PM
I was going to make a new post but to save space i'll just tell my story here. Yesterday i was on the bus talking to this guy who was a Jehova Witness. The guy was cool he wasnt trying to force his religion on me he told me what it was like being a JW and why he was one. We also talked about other things to as well such as movies like Charlie Wilsons war etc.

When I got of the bus a women got of to. She was a short black lady perhaps in her 60s. I looked at her and she said "Jesus loves you" "Jesus is the only way" I was dead tired because i had been up for almost 24 hrs straight but i decided to approach her head on.

"What about Muslims" I ask candidly. she started telling me the creation story and how God created human beings like Adam and Eve so that he can be glorified and how Jesus is the second Adam.

The way she was talking kind of freaked me out. For example i would as her were she worked and she said "I work for Jesus" I'm like no Jesus doesnt pay your bills where do you work. "I'll my hours are spent working for Jesus as a Christian" Finally i think she said Bath and Body Works. She acted as if she thought she was personally sent by God to preach to me. "I'm planting the seed in you."

Anytime i would ask a question she would tell me "See your using logic," "Whats wrong with logic" she began shaking her head. "No NO NO," "Do you believe Logic is from the Devil?" I asked her. She emphatically notted her head yes.

I didnt want to get into it too much. Its great that she loves Jesus and its great that she wants to tell the world but I find it ridiculous that everyone who doesnt except Jesus as their savior is going to hell. "There is only one ticket," "I like to call him Daddy." If the basic idea is that you repentent and turn towards God, which many relligions believe what does it matter which mythology caused you to do that. As long as you repent. "No you have to accept Jesus"

So she told me about her own conversion experience and how she was stubborn like me and how someone at a church changed her life and as soon as she excepted Jesus her life Changed instantly. I told her about people who converted to Islam after reading the Quran they had wepted because it was their way of repenting. Finally she told me a story about a Muslim man who used to sell oils. To make a long story short, he was sick called on Jesus and was "healed." Earlier she told me deep down inside Muslims are angry and confused people. I belted out "How can you say that about a billion people?"

Its great that this women has a relationship with Christ and that she wants other people to have one to. But to say that billions of people are going to hell because their not Christians, you need a little more evidence. There was so many ways i couldve approached this issue;

What about the science in the Quran?
What about the huge differences between the Hebrew Tanak and the Old Testment?
What about the similarities between Krishna and Jesus?
What about the "Miracles" in Hinduism such as the drinking idols"?
What about non christian's religious experiences?
What about the religious experiences of Bahualluh and Guru Nanak where those experiences from Satan?
ETC.

I'm a nominal Catholic, yes it could be true that Jesus is the only way that is a possibility. but I find it extremely hard to believe that a person can go to hell despite all their intentions and good works simply for praying to the wrong deity. Ok maybe some form of punishment but eternal damnation is much more than a simple slap on the wrist. I find it hard to love a God who can be so cruel over something so futile. This is not simply an insult to logic, as the women suggested, this is a violation of my conscience. I already except Jesus as my God being a catholic, but i cant accept the idea that all will perish who dont take Jesus Christ to be their personal lord and savior.

The best part will have to wait until tommorow

Znanna
14 July 2008, 08:41 PM
Namaste,

How do you feel, what is your response/interactions with this experience?

How has it affected you?

Sorry if that's nosy, just asking ...

ZN

ETA - I guess what I'm asking, is, what is your conclusion from your experience?

Sagefrakrobatik
26 July 2008, 06:00 PM
Well i felt both tired and frustrated. Tired because ive been up for almost 2 days straight and frustrated because i hear this all the time and while I still consider myself somewhat of a Christian i cant except the idea that all Christians go to heaven and everyone else burns in hell and that it is not God's fault it is there fault for not accepting Christ death on the cross.

Anyway here is something that happen to me the next day;

As you might've recalled from my last post, the women told me that all muslims are upset, angry and confused inside because they lack Jesus. Well i just got done with something at my school and I see this women outside trying to get people to sign some petition and she stops me i start to fill it out (it has something to do with voting) and she sees i have a book on Islam. She told me she converted to Islam and that she has been happy ever since. She told me she found out about it when she was at an AA meeting and a Muslim man befriended her and took her to his home. Well i guess he wasnt that religious but had a lot of books that she started reading from. Suppposedly thats when she became a Muslim she told me anecdotes here and there that she thought were evidence of God answering her.

It wasnt what she told me but how animated she seemed when she told me these stories. She said "her mind was the Quran" and she used to write things down and put them in the Quran now she just listens to God. She speaks of God as being her boyfriend, it reminded me of the Gopis love for Krishna.

Anyway she told me she believes in all religions there all from God she told me. She said that she read the Quran the Bible and books on Buddhism.

Dont you just love Irony!

On one day i meet a lady who says that Jesus is the only way the very next day I meet a woman who says all paths lead to God.

There both black if that means anything

jaggin
29 July 2008, 08:18 AM
You haven't heard the straight news in either case. JW's are Christians with their brains knocked out (mind control is a sign of a sect) and Black Muslims are not the same as Muslims.

It appears you like to find out about other religions and that can be propitious but it is also easy to be ever learning but not finding the truth. The Truth (john 14:6) is Jesus and the way to be guided by Him is to receive Him as Lord and Savior. This is an advantage that Christianity has over all other religions. That is not to say that a person can't be guided by God in other religions but only that it is more difficult because they do not have the sure promise of it that Chistians have.

Sagefrakrobatik
09 August 2008, 09:53 PM
I dont know why people keep misunderstanding my post. It was NOT the Jehova Witness who was trying to persuade me but the Christian women who came off the bus with me even though im a Christian.

jaggin
08 September 2008, 07:58 AM
I dont know why people keep misunderstanding my post. It was NOT the Jehova Witness who was trying to persuade me but the Christian women who came off the bus with me even though im a Christian.

Many people believe things that can't be justified by a good understanding of the Bible. For instance the Athanasian Creed which says that God is in three persons is not Biblically supportable but is believed across many denominations. I haven't done a study on who goes to Hell but as far as I can tell it isn't someone who believes in God.

Sudarshan
11 September 2008, 06:05 AM
You haven't heard the straight news in either case. JW's are Christians with their brains knocked out (mind control is a sign of a sect) and Black Muslims are not the same as Muslims.

It appears you like to find out about other religions and that can be propitious but it is also easy to be ever learning but not finding the truth. The Truth (john 14:6) is Jesus and the way to be guided by Him is to receive Him as Lord and Savior. This is an advantage that Christianity has over all other religions. That is not to say that a person can't be guided by God in other religions but only that it is more difficult because they do not have the sure promise of it that Chistians have.

Hello jaggin,

I can understand your confidence.:)

But how are you so sure that non christians dont have the sure promise that christians have. How did you know this and do you have some private channel with God? I hope you can give a suitable reply but note that what is written in the bible is not proof for everybody, so quoting scripture is of no use.

There is no proof that a Jesus even lived. You had better depend on his teachings rather on the person hinself because the Jesus story of crucifixion- reserruction is a myth. It is an allegorical tale. God does not need to 'undergo pain' and 'sacrifice his son to save' anybody - all that is peasant logic and will convince only peasants.

rcscwc
08 April 2009, 05:53 AM
... she started telling me the creation story and how God created human beings like Adam and Eve so that he can be glorified and how Jesus is the second Adam.

This god seems to be hankering after glorification. Not much of a God.

Anytime i would ask a question she would tell me "See your using logic," "Whats wrong with logic" she began shaking her head. "No NO NO," "Do you believe Logic is from the Devil?" I asked her. She emphatically notted her head yes.

Yet to see a christian who can cogently put forward his claims.