PDA

View Full Version : A suggestion

Sudarshan
23 March 2006, 12:10 AM
Isn't this board better renamed as Samhitas and Brahmanas? I just fail to understand "Vedas and Brahmanas".

Vedas comrpise all of Samhitas. Brahmanas, Aranyakas and Upanishads.

I think it might have been even better to group Samhitas,Brahmanas and Aranyakas into one group, and Upanishads into another.

sarabhanga
23 March 2006, 12:32 AM
Namaste Sudarshan,

You are technically correct about the term Samhita (in reference to the primary verses of the Vedas); but the Aranyakas and Upanishads form a perfect continuum, and the earliest Upanishads are almost indistinguishable from Aranyakas.

The 108 Upanishads (and Badarayana's Sutras) are the immediate source for Vedanta, however, and they could well be separated from the original Vedas (in the broadest sense, including the Aranyakas).

In which case, there should equally be a separate forum for the 18 Puranas, and likewise the Mahabharata (with a subsection for Gita), and the Ramayana.

satay
23 March 2006, 05:16 AM
namaste sudharsan,
Sorry, yes, you suggested that to me earlier too and I forgot all about it. Sorry about that.
So what's the verdict? How do we want this? Can you and sarabhanga decide and let me know.

Thanks,
satay

Sudarshan
23 March 2006, 06:09 AM
You could have it very broad or very detailed.

I think you have Ramayana, Mahabartha and also add an "Others" to complete the list.

Namo Narayana
23 March 2006, 09:33 AM
Keep the forum broad. I think ramayana mahabaratha can appear in different heading. keeping it broad makes easier to read relatively similar posts without jumping between sub forums.

sarabhanga
23 March 2006, 03:18 PM
1. Samhita & Brahmana; 2. Aranyaka & Upanishad; 3. Mahabharata & Gita; 4. Ramayana; 5. Shloka & Mantra. (?)

Namo Narayana
28 March 2006, 09:02 AM
right now itihasas is quite broad based for ramayana and mahabharata. for novice hindus samhitas and all that may be not immediately understood. we should also keep that in mind . like in hindunet you can have a sticky that says what should be posted in this forum. where you can detail every single entity you want to describe. this will solve all the confusion. as always we can in future reformat the forums depending on the response.

Sagefrakrobatik
31 August 2008, 07:52 PM
I know this is an old thread but i just wanted to also add the fact that some consider the Srimad bagavatam to be the fith veda. While we are in the topic are all scriptures interconnetected? and if so how?