View Full Version : OSHO

satay
03 June 2006, 12:22 AM
This thread is dedicated to my favourite teacher of all time...OSHO

satay
03 June 2006, 12:34 AM
We are all different songs of the same singer,
different gestures of the same dancer.

Each being is a song of God: unique, individual, incomparable, unrepeatable, but still coming from the same source. Each song has its own flavor, its own beauty, its own music, its own melody, but the singer is the same. We are all different songs of the same singer, different gestures of the same dancer.

To start feeling it is meditation. These conflicts disappear, jealousies disappear, and violence is unthinkable because there is nobody other than our own reflections all over the wolrd. If we belong to the same source, just like all the waves of the ocean, then what is the point of conflict, competition, feeling superior or inferior, and all that nonsense? Nobody is superior and nobody is inferior: everybody is simply just himself or herself.

Each being is a flux, a constant change, a river flowing. Heraclitus says that you can not step in the same river twice. And I say to you , you can not step in the same river even once, because the river is constantly flowing. And the river represents life.

source: Everyday

satay
04 June 2006, 01:25 AM
To forgive one’s parents is one of the most difficult things,
because they have given birth to you – how can you forgive them?

Unless you start loving yourself, unless you come to a state in which you are thrilled by your being – how can you thank your parents? It is impossible. You will be angry – they have given birth to you, and they didn’t even ask you first. They have created this horrible person. Why should you suffer because they decided to give birth to a child? You were not a party to it. Why have you been dragged into this world? Hence the rage.

If you come to a point where you love yourself, where you feel really ecstatic that you are, where your gratefulness knows no limitation, then suddenly you feel great love arising for your parents. They have been the doors for you to enter into existence. Without them this ecstasy would not have been possible – they have made it possible.

If you can celebrate your being – then suddenly you can feel gratitude for your parents, for their compassion, their love. You can not only feel grateful, you also forgive them.

Source: Everyday

I think OSHO finally figured out why hinduism places parents above GOD! It is said that seva to your parents is the same as seva to GOD.

OM

Singhi Kaya
05 June 2006, 04:52 AM
Namaste Satay,

What is the philosophy of OSHO? Did he propound any concrete philosophy or rather wrote books on variouse topics of spirituality?

I have no knowledge of his works, but remember him to be a person in news for controvery around sex and other stuff in his ashrams - can u shed more light on these things - it will help to clear some misunderstandings in my mind and likes. Thanks

Singhi Kaya
05 June 2006, 04:57 AM
If you come to a point where you love yourself, where you feel really ecstatic that you are, where your gratefulness knows no limitation, then suddenly you feel great love arising for your parents.

I try to feel everyday that I'm not ~ it is easier to forgive anybody that way, not just parents.

I'm getting more buddhist these days:o ... but buddhism is just one step short of the absoute monism and shaktibad ... so it's OK I guess:rolleyes:. Sorry a bit out of the way.

Arjuna
05 June 2006, 05:04 AM
Namaste,

What is the philosophy of OSHO? Did he propound any concrete philosophy or rather wrote books on variouse topics of spirituality?

There is nothing like a "philosophy of Osho", but to put in a word his teaching may be called "Awareness&Freedom". Essentially it is very similar to Tantric doctrine or Advaita of Nisargadatta and Ramesh Bhalshekhar.

Osho never wrote any books. He gave speechs and that was recorded and typed in a form of books we know.

I have no knowledge of his works, but remember him to be a person in news for controvery around sex and other stuff in his ashrams - can u shed more light on these things - it will help to clear some misunderstandings in my mind and likes. Thanks

Many people hated Osho, for his was not afraid to speak sincerely and loved Truth.

satay
05 June 2006, 09:25 AM
Namaste Satay,

What is the philosophy of OSHO?

He has none! if you read a bunch of his books you will find out for yourself what I mean.

Did he propound any concrete philosophy or rather wrote books on variouse topics of spirituality?

I think Arjuna is correct. He didn't write any books he gave lectures.

I have no knowledge of his works,

Well then my friend you have been missing something in this life...

but remember him to be a person in news for controvery around sex and other stuff in his ashrams - can u shed more light on these things - it will help to clear some misunderstandings in my mind and likes. Thanks

he was hated by a lot of people: christians banned his books, vatican hated him, US hated him, Indians hated him.

From what little I know of his teachings it appears that he didn't believe in any religion at all and believed that all religions have caused much trouble in the world and a man is good without belonging to any religion. He was not an atheist though I find that he is more of an advaitin.

I do not agree to everything he has to say but his lectures that I have read are out of this world. If you get your hands on any of his books especially in india...grab it and start reading...but beware he might turn you into an atheist or you might start hating him if you don't read with an open mind. You have to have strong faith in the hindu dharma if it is shakeable then shake he will do easily!

Singhi Kaya
05 June 2006, 09:33 AM
Kool ... I'm already an atheist as I don't believe in personal gods
We have a stall set outside the office with OSHO's books ~ coincidence? lol

satay
04 September 2006, 03:11 AM
Go on discarding; not this, not this (neti neti),
and ultimately when nothing remains to be discarded -
then the explosion happens.
Do not cling to anything, to any thought.

Go on and on until the nothingness.

A cup ot tea - OSHO

satay
04 September 2006, 03:13 AM
Man asks questions and then answers them himself.
Nothing is answered in this way.
But man is capable of deceiving himself -
and the whole of philosophy
is nothing but such a deception.
Man asks: What is mind?
And then answers himself: Not matter?
And then asks: What is matter?
And then answers: Not mind?
And this stupid game goes on.

A cup of tea - OSHO

satay
04 September 2006, 03:22 AM
Now a man knows more about man than ever
and yet no problem is solved.
It seems that something is bascially wrong
with our so called knowledge itself.

This whole knowledge is derived from analysis,
and analysis is incapable of penetrating
the depths of conciousness.

The analytical method is all right for matter and for things
becuase there is no inside to them,
but conciousness is insideness,
and t ouse the analytical method with conciousness
is to treat it as an object,
while it is not an object at all.

And it can not be made an object;
its very nature is subjectivity.
its being is subjectivity,
so it must not be approached from outside
because then whatsoever is known about it is not about it.
conciousness must be approached from inside-
and then the method is meditation and not analysis.

Meditation is synthetic:
it is connected with the whole and not with the parts,
it is subjective and not objective,
it is irrational and super-rational and not rational,
it is religious or mystic and not scientific.

Authentic knowledge of counciousness
comes only through meditation and all else is
just superficial acquaintance
and basically erroneous
because the very source of it is fallacious and poisonous.

A Cup of Tea - OSHO

satay
06 September 2006, 02:02 AM
Eternity is not the continuity of time forever. That is the meaning in the dictionaries; forever and ever. But forever is part of time - prolonged time, indefinitely prolonged but it is still time.
Eternity is jumping ou of time; it is nontemporal, it is no-time.

satay
06 September 2006, 02:09 AM
Truth is achieved only through awareness. It is not a mind process at all. You are not to think the truth; rather, you have to stop all thinking to know truth; you have to forget about truth to know truth.

You have to unburden youself of all the theories, hypothesizes, philosophies and idelogies that you have learned. The process of achieving the truth is a process of unlearning, it is a process of unconditioning. Slowly, one has to get out the mind, to slip out of the mind, and one has to become a pool of conciousness, a pure awareness. Just a sheer watchfulness: Do nothing, just watch, watch all that is happening in the outside world and in the inside world.

When one can just watch without any judgment intefering, without any old ideas coming in, then truth is revealed. And the miracle is that it does not come from somewhere else to you, it does not descend from above; it is found within you - it is your intrinsic nature.

orlando
22 September 2006, 12:38 PM
Post deleted.

satay
25 September 2006, 09:31 PM
Admin Note:
This thread is dedicated to OSHO. Any posts out of the context of this thread will be deleted.
Thanks.

satay
24 January 2007, 12:04 AM
"Always remember one thing: that as you are, as everybody is,
you are already mad. Humanity is mad; this earth is a madhouse.
So you can only go sane, you cannot go mad.

If you are afraid of becoming sane that is one thing, but don't be afraid of going mad, because what else can happen? The worst has happened already!
We are living in the worst kind of hell. So if you fall you may fall into heaven. You can not fall anywhere else.

But people are afraid, because whatever they have been living, they think that is the normal thing. Nobody is normal. ...

"

Everyday

saidevo
24 January 2007, 10:58 PM
I haven't yet got around to know much about Osho, but here is a quote from him I received in my mail. It's truly marvelous!

The present is the golden gate.
Here-now is the golden gate.
..And you can be in the present only if you are not ambitious - no
accomplishment, no desire to achieve power, money, prestige, even
enlightenment, because all ambition leads you into the future.

Osho

http://www.deeshan.com

MysticalGypsi
29 January 2007, 07:44 PM
So whenever fear comes to you, don't suppress it, don't repress it, don't avoid it, don't get occupied in something so that you can forget about it.
No! When fear comes, watch it.
Be face to face with it.
Encounter it.
Look deep into it.
Gaze into the valley of fear.
Of course you will perspire, and you will tremble, and it will be like a death, and you will have to live it many times. But by and by, the more your eyes become clear, the more your awareness becomes alert, the more your focus is there on the fear, the fear will disappear Like a mist. And once fear disappears, sometimes, even for only a moment, suddenly you are deathless.
There is no death.
Death is the greatest illusion there is, the greatest myth -- a lie...

OshO
Ancient Music in the Pines
Chapter #5
Chapter title: The Ultimate Secrets of Swordsmanship

satay
18 May 2007, 03:12 PM
"
It happened ... There were three monasteries deep in the mountains. All three belonged to different Christian sects.

One day it happened by coincidence that the three abbots of the monasteries had gone for a morning walk and they all met on the crossroads. They talked about matters concerning their monasteries and other problems.

Finally one of them said, "I have to tell you that as far as scholarship is concerned, my monastery is far higher than your monasteries."

The second one said, "That is true. As far as scholarship is concerned, your people are great scholars. But don't forget, as far as discipline is concerned, my monastery is far higher than yours. And also remember, scholarship is not going to help. It can make you knowledgeable, but it cannot make you wise. You have to walk the path of discipline; then only can you become a wise man."

The third was silent up to now. He laughed, and he said, "You both are right. But as far as humbleness is concerned, we are the tops!"

Humbleness ... and the desire is to be the tops.

You can be humble, you can force yourself to be humble, you can repress your ego -- but that humbleness will not be true humbleness. It will be just inverted ego. It will be low-key ego.

Once a man touched my feet. I told him, "There is no need ...."

He said, "It is not your concern. I am just the dust underneath your feet."

To provoke that man, I said, "That's right!"

Immediately he became angry. He said, "You tell me that I am just the dust under your feet?"

I said, "I have not said anything. You were saying it, I simply agreed."

Humbleness, or any other quality which makes you religious, if practiced from the outside makes you an actor. If it arises from the inside, out of your own experience of the intelligence of existence, then it has a different flavor, a different fragrance -- the fragrance of the freshly-opened rose.

Then you are neither egoist nor humble, because humbleness and ego, both are two sides of the same phenomenon. You simply are. This being, simply to be, makes you enlightened, gives you new insight into matters.

It happened in America, when they were celebrating some birth anniversary of Abraham Lincoln. They searched all over America for a man who would look like Abraham Lincoln -- and they found him. A man looked almost the same, so they chose that man, they trained him.

Abraham Lincoln used to stutter a little, so that man had to be trained to stutter. Abraham Lincoln was a little lame in one foot, so he started walking like a lame person. One year's continuous training ... and the next year they were going to celebrate the birthday the whole year, all over America.

In one year of continuously practicing and practicing and practicing, and then the second year going from one city to another city, from one part to another part, and playing the role of Abraham Lincoln, the man became so much obsessed with the idea that when he came home he came as a lame man, stuttering.

First the family thought that he was joking. The festival was over. They told him, "Now you don't have to do all this."

He said, "What do you mean? I AM Abraham Lincoln." Those two years had got into his head.

They thought he would calm down, but he did not. Those two years had been too heavy and hot. He was calm and cool, and absolutely certain that he was Abraham Lincoln.

They took him to the psychiatrist. The psychiatrist tried in every possible way, but with no success at all. He was feeling very much harassed and tortured by everybody in his town, by his friends, by his family. And now the psychiatrists, psychoanalysts -- they started harassing him.

Finally the psychoanalyst he was visiting put him on the lie detector. If he was lying, the detector would show it. Because of so much harassment the man thought, "It is not worth it!" So when he was standing on the lie detector and the psychoanalyst asked him, "Are you Abraham Lincoln?", he said, "No" -- and the lie detector said, "He is lying, he IS Abraham Lincoln!"

Acting can go so deep in your unconscious layers of the mind that it is beyond your consciousness. You have only a small thin layer of consciousness; compared to it, your unconscious is nine times bigger. If something enters into your unconscious, you will start behaving like Jesus, you will start behaving like Mohammed. But it will be just acting and nothing else, and acting is not a transformation of your being.

I am against imposing any discipline on yourself from the outside -- according to others. I am in favor, in absolute favor, categorically, that your life should arise from your own inner springs. From your own awakening the morality, the discipline will follow, just like a shadow follows you.

The world is living in tremendous misery because of your so-called moralists, puritans, who have been imposing things from the outside. Those things enter into the unconscious, and the man starts behaving in a certain manner -- but he is a robot.

Unless your potential that you have brought with you, which you have been carrying from eternity -- unless that potential, that seed sprouts and starts gathering more and more foliage, and brings blossoms to your being, then morality is a small matter.

You don't have to listen to Moses and his Ten Commandments; you will find your own commandments. Unless you are in direct contact with the divineness of existence, all that you are doing is creating a persona, a personality ... fake, fraud, hypocrisy.

I have heard that when God created the world, he went around with the Ten Commandments. He asked the Babylonians, "Would you like to have one commandment?"

They said, "What is it?" Naturally, first you should inquire what the commandment is.

God said, "You should not commit adultery."

The Babylonians said, "Forget all about it. What shall we do then? In this meaningless life, adultery is the only game. Just get lost!"

God was very angry, but what to do? If they won't take ... He went to the Egyptians, he went to other races, but everybody asked, "First tell us what the commandment is." And they all refused. They said, "We don't want anybody else to tell us what to do. We want to find from our own innermost spring what is right and what is wrong."

And then finally he came across Moses, who had been struggling in the desert of Saudi Arabia for forty years continuously to find the Holy Land, Israel. Almost two-thirds of the original group that he had taken from Egypt had died on the way.

By the time he reached Israel he was old, utterly tired, and there had grown a generation gap, because his old friends with whom he had come had almost all died; a new generation had come up. In fact, a third generation was growing up, and they didn't have any respect for Moses. They didn't know the fellow: Who is this man who goes on commanding, "Do this, don't do that"?

But it was not his fault. It was God who had met Moses, and not knowing the Jews exactly, he asked him, "Would you like to have one commandment?" -- very hesitantly, because he had been refused everywhere else.

But Moses asked a totally different question. He did not ask, "What is the commandment?", he said, "How much does it cost?" Just like a Jew ...

God said, "It is free."

Then Moses said, "I will take ten. If it is free, why take only one?"

But any commandments taken from anybody -- even from God -- are not going to give you a revolution in your being. They will only create an actor, a pretender, a hypocrite, a repressed person, inhibited, feeling guilty on every account. Whatever he does goes against the commandments.

But ten commandments are nothing compared to Gautam Buddha, who has thirty-three thousand principles for every Buddhist monk to follow. You cannot even remember them. Thirty-three thousand ...? Every detailed gesture of your life is completely controlled from outside.

I hate the very idea of being controlled from outside. I love the flowering of your being. And I am absolutely certain -- because whenever your potential blossoms, there is no question of choice, of what is right and what is wrong. You choose the right without choosing. It is choiceless, the only alternative.

For a man of clarity, for a man of absolute perceptiveness, for a man full of light beyond the mind, life becomes a choiceless phenomenon. You simply do the right thing. It is not that you think that it is right, "That's why I am doing it."

With me, the definition of right and wrong, good and bad, sin and virtue, absolutely changes. Whatever the enlightened person does is right. Whatever the enlightened person does not do, is wrong.

So I don't teach you any discipline, any morality. I simply teach you to be awake, and in your awareness you cannot do anything wrong. You cannot harm anybody, you cannot violate anybody's freedom, you cannot interfere into anybody's territory. A great respect for life, reverence for life, arises in you, and it has nothing to do with your religion, it has nothing to do with your belief systems.

A man of awareness does not belong to any organized religion. Organized religion is against religiousness. Every organized religion kills the truth!

"
source:
Osho - christianity: the deadliest poison and zen: the antidote to all poisons
Chapter 1 - the opium of the people

MysticalGypsi
10 July 2007, 09:09 AM
As I see it, almost everybody is in the wrong place. The person who would have been a tremendously happy doctor is a painter and the person who would have been a tremendously happy painter is a doctor. Nobody seems to be in his right place; that's why this whole society is in such a mess. The person is directed by others; he is not directed by his own intuition.

Meditation helps you to grow your own intuitive faculty. It becomes very clear what is going to fulfill you, what is going to help you flower. And whatsoever it is -- and it is going to be different for each individual... That is the meaning of the word "individual": everybody is unique. And to seek and search your uniqueness is a great thrill, a great adventure.

In life also we are burdened with the unessential, in religion too, in every dimension. The religious person goes on doing certain rituals which are taught by others to him. He never finds his own religiousness, a quality which can not be imposed on you, a quality which can only be helped to grow in you.

It is not like a plastic flower that can be given to you from the outside, by the priest. It is a real rose flower, and for that you have to be very alert, very aware.

The Christian goes to the church every Sunday. It is a formality; it does not make him religious, but it gives him a false sense of religiousness. The Hindu goes on chanting the Gita. It does not make him religious at all; on the contrary it prevents, because by reciting the Gita he becomes very knowledgeable. He becomes a parrot or a computer. He can recite the whole Gita, but he understands nothing because he has not experienced anything. He knows words; he has not encountered the meaning of those words.

People go on being imitative. For example, Mahavira lived naked; that was his individuality. Nobody else is supposed or expected to live naked, unless one finds it an inner, intuitive vision, unless one finds that that is the only way he can be true to his self. Then it is another matter. But the Jaina muni, the Jaina monk, practices nudity -- just an imitation, a carbon copy. And remember. imitation is always ugly because it creates a false person; it never gives you authenticity.

Mahavira was naked not because anybody had told him to be naked. He felt the immense urge to be just like a child and he followed his urge, and he suffered for his urge. He was chased from one village to another, mad dogs were put after him, he was stoned, because people thought he was destroying their morality, that he was a dangerous man.

In an orthodox country like the India of twenty-five centuries ago, a man walking naked would have been certainly a nuisance to people, to their conventional way of living, to their traditional style of thinking. Krishna has not lived naked, Rama has not lived naked, no Hindu avatara has lived naked. This man is destroying the whole tradition, culture, religion. Of course he has to be punished. But Mahavira was immensely blissful.
The Jaina muni does not seem to be blissful at all because he is simply an imitation. He is really torturing himself, forcing himself to be naked, because in his mind now the greed has arisen: unless he looks like Mahavira he is not going to attain the ultimate liberation.

Now nakedness has become an essential thing, which it is not. Nakedness is not an essential thing. Buddha attained without being naked, Jesus attained without being naked, you can attain. And I am not saying that Mahavira did not attain by being naked. He attained, but these are individual things.

Buddhist monks go on following the Buddha. They sit the same way, they talk the same way, they behave the same way. That is not going to help at all. That is not going to make you religious. That is not going to make you another Buddha. You are being simply stupid. And the more stupid you are the better you can imitate, because imitation needs no intelligence. In fact, only a mediocre mind can be imitative.

The more intelligent you are, the more you want to be simply yourself, whatsoever it is. Now the whole thing goes non-essential. For Buddha it was essential to sit that way; that was his intuitive feeling. When Buddha dropped the ideas imposed on him by others, his followers left him. He had five followers -- before he became very famous he had only five followers; that is before he became enlightened.

Those five followers were very devoted to him for the simple reason that he was going just like any other Hindu ascetic, only with great stubbornness, doing all kinds of austerities, following all kinds of rules and regulations given in the scriptures. He was so particular about everything that these five followers thought that he was the greatest Master.

Then one day he understood the whole stupidity of it: he is not following his own intelligence, he is simply following others who may be right, may not be right. One thing is certain: that they were a different kind of people and he is not of that kind. He was suffering, but he was thinking that it is necessary to suffer this; this pain is necessary to grow. The day he realized it he dropped all ascetic practices; he relaxed.

That was the first time he ate in the night and he ate food offered by an untouchable woman. All five followers immediately left him, thinking that he had gone astray. First, eating in the night is not right; secondly, the food offered by an untouchable, a poor woman, is not acceptable to a holy man. He is no more holy. And that very night Buddha became enlightened.

Those five fools missed his enlightenment. That very night he became enlightened. And he became enlightened for the simple reason that for the first time he relaxed into his being and simply followed his essential core.

All religions are destroyed by the non-essential. Your whole life is destroyed by the non-essential. But nobody else can decide for you what is essential and what is non-essential. Remember that I cannot say exactly, "This is essential and this is non-essential."
Each individual has to discover it. Each individual has to be a light unto himself or herself.

All that I can suggest is: be silent so that you can hear the still small voice of your heart. And it is always speaking, but you are so noisy you go on missing its message.

Kaos
10 July 2007, 11:56 AM
Excellent post, Mysticalgypsy.

Being still, sitting in meditation, allows us to realize that there is no solid ground to grasp/hold on to.

Namaste,
Kaos

satay
18 December 2007, 09:39 AM
Namaskar,
For those interested in akasha and Zen...

http://rajmittal.com/blog/2006/08/osho-books-on-zen-enjoy.html