PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have a dead deer?

Ishvara
10 August 2008, 09:36 AM
Namaste!

I am new to the HDF so hello to all. My problem is in reference to the quote from the Gita as follows. “The place where he sits should be firm, neither too high nor too low, and situated in a clean spot. He should first cover it with sacred grass, then with a deer skin; then lay a cloth over these.”

I have come to understand that the neutralizing energy of deeskin and Kusha grass in conducive towards meditation. Also that the earth acts like an earth wire drawing down the divine energy flowing through you thus inhibiting your meditation. Therfore I would like to get a Deerskin and a Kusha grass mat to prevent this.

I live in the UK does anydody know where to get Kusha grass or Deerskin. Now I may be able to get the grass but finding the skin of a Deer that has NOT been killed and that has died naturally so that it doesn't conflict with the principle of Ahimsa is difficult. What do you all use for meditation, does anybody here have or Deerskin, or maybe even a tigerskin for tantra? Perhaps you know a good website or person to contact.

Anybody have a dead Deer lying about?

yajvan
10 August 2008, 01:14 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste!

What do you all use for meditation, does anybody here have or Deerskin, or maybe even a tigerskin for tantra? Perhaps you know a good website or person to contact. Anybody have a dead Deer lying about?

Namaste Ishvara,
Let me offer a few points. If you are beginning to meditate the first thing I would pursue is to insure you have your proper technique and are about to move to nivṛtti - that is ceasing from duality, closing the eyes and transcending inwards. This inward (nivṛtti) and outward (pravṛtti) natural movement is what will bring you to your goal.

Now, sitting comfortably (& erect) that is the notion the Lord offers in his comment with the grass and deer skin etc. Is it okay to have these things?, sure. Will it stop you from your goal if you do not? Absolutely not. These items are not pre-requisites. For the householder ( gṛhastha ) you needn't worry about these things.

I see many who are starting-off accumulate mālā-s ( beads) , prayer rugs, bindu or talik ( mark on the forehead) etc. but leave out the most important ingredient - regular practice.

Now if you are really concerned about loss of energy (śakti) a new wool rug to sit on ( and no one else then uses it). This can be 2ft. x 3ft. ( 0.6meter x .9meter); Or use new silk to sit on. You can get these items on line, with various patterns if you like.

pranams
satyaṅa pramāditavyaṁ
dharmaṅa pramāditavyaṁ
Kusalaṅa pramāditavyaṁ
Never swerve away from Truth
never swerve away from duty
never neglect your welfare; swerve
not from any act for the protection of yourself
Taittiriya Uanishad 1.11.1