PDA

View Full Version : Sifali/Siphli Ilm

Srikantha
13 August 2008, 08:39 AM
Is anyone aware of any written sources about this practice? I've heard quite a bit about it and would like to read more, from the perspective of its origins and developments, key regions of its practice and the details of the rites involved within its practices.

So far the only sources I've come across are in Urdu, unreadable for me.

Sagefrakrobatik
14 August 2008, 09:34 PM
Question: In our society, a person who is supposed to be under the influence of magic is taken to so called ‘amil's who recite certain words and then discover whether the person is really a victim of black magic or not. Please note that I am not talking about hysteria patients. I am also not talking about witch doctors when I use the word ‘amil's. These ‘amil's are pious people who have spent their lives in finding the effects of various Qur’anic verses. My questions are:
1. How do we come to know that a person is a victim of black magic?
2. Should we consult ‘amil's?
3. Do verses have mystical effects? A common example is the recitation of ‘Ayah-i-Karimah to ask Allah to rescue one out of a bad patch in life?
Answers: As far as magic is concerned, one cannot deny its existence. The Qur’an specifically mentions it as an evil discipline (sifli `ilm) practiced by the devils from both among the men and the jinn-folk:

Is this what you were refering to?

Srikantha
15 August 2008, 01:33 AM
Yeah, but it does not actually originate from Islam, but rather Islam adopted it within its tenants.

Sifli refers to little and ilm refers to knowledge; suggesting that it is an esoteric practice, and little is known about it. In fact similar practices allegedly subjugated the Prophet Muhammad when he was busy spreading Islam over the Arabian Peninsula. His followers had to consult another occultist to get this removed from him. This proceeded the revelations of the last four Surahs of the Quran [the 4 Quls].

I have only seen Islamic recensions of Siphli and would like to learn more about its development so I can track down original sources.

Sagefrakrobatik
15 August 2008, 10:23 PM
This is what some Muslims posted on another board

It means those who follow the first 3 generations of Muslims.

http://http://www.qss.org/articles/salafi/text.html

sm78
17 August 2008, 09:01 AM
This is what some Muslims posted on another board

It means those who follow the first 3 generations of Muslims.

http://http://www.qss.org/articles/salafi/text.html

Sifli/Siphli <> Salafi.

Salafism is the most orthodox rendering of sunni islam which was reinvigorated by Muhammad ibn Abd-al-Wahhab (hence also called Wahhabism). Salafism and Wahhabism supports terrorism and is the theology to which Osama Bin Laden & likes of him adheres to. Indeed, its based on the practice of the first 3 generations of Muslims including Muhammad. And indeed, what Muhammad and many subsequent generations practiced and still do in the name of religion, has been terrorism in various forms.

The word Sifli is seems refer to "Magic". Magic is the word we associate with pre-abrahamic pagan religions of the west, sifli could be one of these which was specific to Arabia and might have survived as a deviant cult who outwardly accepted Islams dominance in worldly matters.

Srikantha, I think is looking for insights into this practices. I don't think any of the deviant cults within Islam are well represented in the internet (or anywhere), but Srikantha can try catch hold of sufi practioners since it seems to be the only well known form of mysticism widely accepted by Islamists ??

paarsurrey
08 November 2008, 09:29 AM
Is anyone aware of any written sources about this practice? I've heard quite a bit about it and would like to read more, from the perspective of its origins and developments, key regions of its practice and the details of the rites involved within its practices.

So far the only sources I've come across are in Urdu, unreadable for me.

Hi

The first and foremost source of Islam is Quran. There is no mention of any Sifali/Siphli Ilm in Quran.

Knowledge is bright or enlightens one's soul , mind and heart; that is why GodAllah has been told to be Noor or Light of the heavens and earth. While acknowleding it sometimes people engage in practices which they know don't consist of the true knowledge as described above.

Such people as against the above induldge in practices which are dark and instead of uplifting a man; make one down-graded, this is perhaps what is termed as sifli.

Islam/Quran has got nothing to do with it certainly.

Thanks