PDA

View Full Version : Five daily duties of a Shri Vaishnava

orlando
09 June 2006, 10:39 AM
Namaste all.
I did read that a Shri Vaishnava has to do five kind of prayer daily.Now please read what I found at http://www.srivaishnavam.com/index.html
23.What are the daily duties of srivaishnavas?
Sri Vaishnavas must do the duties without fail as ordered by the Saastra according to their varna-aasrama. Sri Vaishnavas must do their karma with Satvika-tyaga as obeying the order of Shreeman Narayana and only for the pleasure of Shreeman Narayana. He must not do any kaamya, nishidha and abhichaara karmas. He has to do the nitya karmas and naimitika karmas without fail. The daily duties of Shree Vaishnavas are classified into five headings namely
1. Abigamanam
2. Upaadaanam
3. Ijyaa
4. Swaadyaayam
5. Yogam
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please could you give me information about these prayers and daily duties of a Sri vaishnava?

Regards,
Orlando.

Sudarshan
09 June 2006, 11:13 AM
1. Abigamanam

Is the early morning prayer as soon as you wake up. You can actually do some nama-japa or recite some shlokas here.

2. Upaadaanam

Upadaanam is preparation for Ijya, collection of puja materials and at the same time reciting some verses etc.

3. Ijyaa

This is the main prayer and is an elaborate one, and is called the Pancharatra Aradana. It is quite complex, and you need to learn it from a guru. This is done in the morning.( might take an hour if you go through the full prayer). Orthodox people take food only after Ijya, and during Ijya food is offered to God also.

4. Swaadyaayam

This is in the afternoon, and you can spend time in reciting Ramayana, Bhagavad Gita, reading and learning scripture, Sribhasya etc. No fixed specifications for this. Most people who follow this may recite Ramayana and Vishnu Sahasranamam.

5. Yogam

This is a variation of the classical Yoga ( with six limbs not eight), and based on the Yama, Niyama, Asana, Pranayama, Pratyahara and Dhyana. It is explained in Vishnu Purana. I dont think there are any people actually doing Yoga now, and I dont think it is taught in the tradition.

ramkish42
09 June 2006, 02:21 PM
Orthodox people take food only after Ijya, and during Ijya food is offered to God also

Just a suggestion, the term also to be excluded or better to affix it as Food also is offered to god.

Apart from this 5 duties, Vaishnavs are said to spent their time
Talking about Theif, Talking about Gambling, Talking about Women, i.e. Talking about Butter Their - Shri Krishna, Talking about how gambling destroyed the life of Dharma (Yudishtra) and how lord helps his devotees during days of misfortune, Talking about sad happenings to Droupati in Kaurava Saba and how Shri Krishna Salvaged her

Sankha charkra Gadapane dwaaraka nilamyachute
Govinda pundarikaaksha rakshataam charanaagatam

Jai shree krishna