PDA

View Full Version : death of a Guru

Sagefrakrobatik
21 August 2008, 12:51 PM
Man converted to Christianity from Hinduism. What do you guys make of this story?

http://http://www.southasianconnection.com/articles/24/1/Death-of-a-Guru---The-Story-of-Rabi-Maharaj/Page1.html

saidevo
21 August 2008, 09:06 PM
These stories have all the same stereotype, time-worn, sick formula: devout Hindus giving/encouraged to give cock and bull stories to justify their conversion. I did not read the entire story, stopped at this spot, where I can find the 'fallacy' of the Christian arguments:

In that moment of frozen terror, out of the past came my mother's voice, repeating words I had long forgotten: "Rabi, if ever you're in real danger and nothing else seems to work, there's another god you can pray to. His name is Jesus."

Rabi says earlier that his mother was devoted to her husband and understood his Self-Realization efforts, so her asking her son to seek 'another god' is unconvincing!

During my third year in high school I experienced an increasingly deep inner conflict. My growing awareness of God as the Creator, separate and distinct from the universe He had made, contradicted the Hindu concept that god was everything, that the Creator and the Creation were one and the same. If there was only One Reality, then Brahman was evil as well as good, death as well as life, hatred as well as love. That made everything meaningless, life an absurdity. It was not easy to maintain both one's sanity and the view that good and evil, love and hate, life and death were One Reality.

With the one-life-one-heaven-one-hell concept, Christianity is ignorant of the subtler sheaths of a human soul where it lives after the physical body falls. Good and evil are only filmy karmic manifestations that seek to hide the Self, which at the core is one with Brahman. An individual who has even a slight intellectual understanding of this truth will not complain about the good and evil in the world and say that Brahman can't be both good and evil, so he must be separate as the Creator. Here is an appropriate quote for the converted Christians:

"Some are born ignorant, some achieve ignorance and some have ignorance thrust upon 'em." (Modification of Shakespeare's words in Twelfth Night).