PDA

View Full Version : Some doubts

reflections
16 September 2008, 09:34 AM
Am I still a Hindu? I don't know, I have several doubts.

- I believe in Karma. But, I feel laws of Karmas are very subtle, and I can't be judgemental saying that I am better than the person who is suffering. It is possible that it can be the last birth of that person and all the bad karmas of that person get extinguished. I mean either I should help the one who is going through suffering or keep quiet without being judgemental.

- I believe in Varnas but I feel there is no guarantee that a person born in high varnas will be high all the life and there is no restriction that person born of low varna will be low varna all their life. So, I don't support present casteism.

- Plus, I feel God/brahman is not monopoly of any religion. Other people might have percieved the same reality in a different ways. Our perceptions can be as different as black and white still the underlying reality remains the same. And, I really like some Sufi mystics or Budhhist masters.

- I support conversion due to spiritual means. I am aware that some Christian conversions going in India are based on incentives. But, if someone wants to convert purely out of spiritual reasons to any other religion from Hinduism, I will support him or her. At the same time I think we should try to represent Hinduism to those seeking a religion in their life, obviously no force or no incentive or no fear should be involved.

- I respect sawmi Dayanand, Sawmi Vivekananda and Swami Prabhupada and many saints but I feel all of them are like gems in big ocean. I am unable to identify 100% with anyone. I feel they are souce of inspiration but I can't agree 100% to them.

Am I still a Hindu?

Indra
16 September 2008, 09:55 AM
From what ive learned a hindu doesnt have to agree 100% with everything. A hindu can have different opinions and still be a hindu. I think you are a hindu.

yajvan
17 September 2008, 01:01 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Am I still a Hindu?

Namaste reflections,

You are a human when you have doubts. You are a seeker when you look to resolve these doubts. Doubts come and go... Having your faith as your foundation is key.

pranams

jaya_narayana
17 September 2008, 09:12 PM
Am I still a Hindu? I don't know, I have several doubts.

- I believe in Karma. But, I feel laws of Karmas are very subtle, and I can't be judgemental saying that I am better than the person who is suffering. It is possible that it can be the last birth of that person and all the bad karmas of that person get extinguished. I mean either I should help the one who is going through suffering or keep quiet without being judgemental.

this sounds like a good understanding of karma to me. we never know what people's karma is. we should try to help those who are suffering and not just say "oh it's their karma" think of the karma we incur by not helping those in need.

- I believe in Varnas but I feel there is no guarantee that a person born in high varnas will be high all the life and there is no restriction that person born of low varna will be low varna all their life. So, I don't support present casteism.

to my limited understanding, varna is not birth based but based upon one's own tendencies. some people have brahmanical inclinations while others suddra. it's not birth that determins true varna.

of course i'm sure people will disagree. i don't post this to argue just showing there is a myriad of beliefs under the sanatana umbrella.

-
Plus, I feel God/brahman is not monopoly of any religion. Other people might have percieved the same reality in a different ways. Our perceptions can be as different as black and white still the underlying reality remains the same. And, I really like some Sufi mystics or Budhhist masters.

everyone has different mood and inclination. some people relate to god through buddhist sunyata, still other krishna etc. i personally believe that sanatana dharma offers the most precise step by step instruction but to each his own.

-
I support conversion due to spiritual means. I am aware that some Christian conversions going in India are based on incentives. But, if someone wants to convert purely out of spiritual reasons to any other religion from Hinduism, I will support him or her. At the same time I think we should try to represent Hinduism to those seeking a religion in their life, obviously no force or no incentive or no fear should be involved.

i'm a convert so i can't argue here. :)

- I respect sawmi Dayanand, Sawmi Vivekananda and Swami Prabhupada and many saints but I feel all of them are like gems in big ocean. I am unable to identify 100% with anyone. I feel they are souce of inspiration but I can't agree 100% to them.

i still don't see a problem with this unless you are looking for a guru.

Am I still a Hindu?

if you accept authority of the vedas in your life then i say yes.

reflections
17 September 2008, 10:29 PM
jaya_narayana, Indra and Yajvan:
Thank you for your replies :)

Yes, I believe in authority of Vedas. I believe essence of Veda is eternal and will guide coming generations, however 'Kriyakand' part of it undergoes modification based on time and place.

Spiritualseeker
30 July 2009, 06:27 AM
- Plus, I feel God/brahman is not monopoly of any religion. Other people might have percieved the same reality in a different ways. Our perceptions can be as different as black and white still the underlying reality remains the same. And, I really like some Sufi mystics or Budhhist masters.

Namaste,

From what I understand Hindus view that there are many truths leading to the Divine. So there is no problem. I agree with you Lord Siva is not sectarian. I dont think he cares if we are christians, jews, buddhist or hindus aslong as we are compassionate and try to evolve our souls. That is the beauty of the tolerant religion of Sanatana Dharma. Though I do feel that practicing as a Hindu can perhaps speed up your goal of divine union with God (or recognition that you were never separate from God).

Om Namah Sivaya

-Juan

rkpande
31 July 2009, 04:29 AM
Swami Vivekananda after return to india gave a beautiful lecture at Lahore on "The common Bases of Hinduism" (You may find it in 3rd vol- The Complete Works Of Swami Vivekananda). Breifly stating, he says
a Hindu of whatever sect he belongs to, believes the Vedas to be eternal teachings of the secrets of religion. They may have their own interpretations.

a hinu believes in God, the creating,the preserving power of the whole universe, and unto whom it periodically returns and to come out at other periods and manifest this universe. We may differ as to our conception of God.

a hindu unlike all other races of the world, does not believe that this world was created only so many thousands of years back. nature being eternal without beginnig and without end.

all hindus believe tha man is not only a gross material body ; not only that within that there is a finer body, the mind, but there is something yet greater- the Atman. It has no beginnig and no end. it inhabits body after body until there is no more interest for it to continue.

I have tried to put it as is written.