PDA

View Full Version : Humanism vs Culture

Infinite Regress
30 September 2008, 09:32 AM
Hello Friends,

My first post at HDF.

I'd like to know why people feel cultures must be preserved. Shouldn't our time be spent in the betterment of humanity, economic development, technological advancement?:Cool:

I don't mean to offend anyone, but I really am wondering why 'culture' is important at all. For instance, there are many Muslims who feel the west shouldn't interfere in their (Muslim) internal matters, even if that involves barbaric practices like stoning, child marriage. They justify it by saying it's all part of culture.

To me, this seems very unfair. There are common values, humanistic values, that people all over the world can and must share. These include human rights, freedom, democracy, secularism etc. If culture contradicts any of these, then don't you feel it's better to abandon culture and choose humanism?:)

I am not sure if I am making myself clear. Oftentimes, I've noticed that 'culture' is used as an excuse to promote barbarism amongst people. Almost every barbaric practice is justified in the name of culture. So I am wondering why we must preserve culture? Would it not be better if we can promote liberal and humanistic values, and forget about culture altogether?
:)
Namaste

reflections
30 September 2008, 11:00 AM
Hello Friends,

My first post at HDF.

Hello, Namaste, Welcome to HDF :)

I'd like to know why people feel cultures must be preserved.
Cultures represent belief, art, way of life, Philosophy inherent to a society. We believe: eating, sleeping, procreating and getting frightened is shared by all the species. It is our intelligence and the cultures we have developed, separates us from animals.

Shouldn't our time be spent in the betterment of humanity, economic development, technological advancement?:Cool:
Obviously, we should spend time in economic and technological advancement. So if a devout Hindu spends morning time in meditation and praying, how does it adversely affect advancements? My religion teaches me to do my 'Swadharma', (my duty), it tells me my duty is something inherent in my self. It says anyone's job, if done perfectly and without expectation of rewards leads him or her to spiritual advancement. How my culture or religion is obstructing me to get advanced, Please enlighten.

I don't mean to offend anyone, but I really am wondering why 'culture' is important at all. For instance, there are many Muslims who feel the west shouldn't interfere in their (Muslim) internal matters, even if that involves barbaric practices like stoning, child marriage. They justify it by saying it's all part of culture.
No offense taken. You might be talking about some other faith. I am in no position to answer on behalf of Muslims, better take the issue to Muslim forums? Regarding Hinduism: We have clear distinguish between 2 scriptures: Shruti and Smriti. Shruti scripture contains the essesnce of spirituality and are timeless. And Smriti scripture details righteous conducts in sociology, laws, politics etc. However, we think these scriptures are bound to Desh(place), Kal(time) and sanjog(Circumstances). We do believe, these scriptures need to revive as we go ahead. The thing applicable before 500 years may not be applicable today.

To me, this seems very unfair. There are common values, humanistic values, that people all over the world can and must share. These include human rights, freedom, democracy, secularism etc. If culture contradicts any of these, then don't you feel it's better to abandon culture and choose humanism?:)
Actually, Humanism is intrinsic part of Sanathan dharma. Rather, Humanism means restircting Sanathan Dharma. Sanathana dharma recognises that even plants and animals are equal to us on spiritual plane. Our scriptures say:

Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam
Earth is a family. (Human rights)

This is the sum of duty: do not do to others what would cause pain if done to you. Mahabharata 5:1517 (Human rights)

Ekam sat Viprah Bahudha Vadanti
Wise say the same truth in a different way. (Secularism)

I do accept, people belonging to my religion, my culture have wronged these values. But, that is bound to happen. You may give the highest ideals but people will fall short.

I am not sure if I am making myself clear. Oftentimes, I've noticed that 'culture' is used as an excuse to promote barbarism amongst people. Almost every barbaric practice is justified in the name of culture. So I am wondering why we must preserve culture? Would it not be better if we can promote liberal and humanistic values, and forget about culture altogether?
:)
NamasteYes, We do need to introspect and revive. But, I don't feel any necessity to throw all the good parts of culture all together.

Jack_ripper
26 October 2008, 02:04 AM
Culture, my friend is like rules and norms prevailing in a society. We can have humanity also, but for a big society like hinduism, don't we need some or the other principles. That's the necessity of culture, in my opinion.