PDA

View Full Version : ISKCON or Gaudiya Math

ScottMalaysia
04 October 2008, 11:52 AM
I have been going to an ISKCON temple, and attending Bhagavad-Gita classes run by ISKCON devotess. I have decided that I want to be a Gaudiya Vaishnava, and that this is the spiritual path that I want to follow.

However, tonight I visited a Gaudiya Math Temple. While it wasn't as big or as opulent as the ISKCON temple, and while their kirtan wasn't as long, I liked it. Apparently Narayana Maharaja is coming to Malaysia in 3 months time or so, and I would like to meet him.

From those on this forum who are either Gaudiya Vaishnavas or know quite a lot about it, what would your advice be? Join ISKCON, who requires 16 rounds a day for initiation, which I don't know if I could do, or go with Gaudiya Math, who are less rigid and set in stone on initiation requirements?

Hare Krishna!

reflections
07 October 2008, 09:13 AM
Hi Scott,
Namaste!
This is the decision which you have to take for yourself. Pray Krishna, ask for his guidance and then think, which path will bring you closer to him? If you believe in one of it, no matter how strict it is, you should follow that one.

I like ISKCON temples. I like some of their principles as well. But, just a small note: sometimes, they have this attitude like 'I am correct, others are wrong'. Just keep in mind that Saivism, Shaktism all are correct and valid paths of Hinduism. We even think that other religions are also valid paths to one truth.

I don't want to criticize them, there are much things to be appreciated.

Jai Sri Krishna