PDA

View Full Version : dakshina

Eastern Mind
12 October 2008, 05:31 PM
I recently learned quite by accident more about the custom of dakshina giving. Here in our temple (Edmonton, Canada) musicians from Toronto come to the annual festival each year to play thavil and nadeshwaram. This has been going on for several years and only this year did I realise that the temple trustees pay only their airfare. The rest of the money they receive is from dakshina from devotees. There are no hard and fast rules; it is just an expectation, understood by all the core people at least but not by western adoptives like me. I had just assumed that the temple would have paid a salary. I felt sort of bad only learning of the custom through observation. (seeing envelopes of cash being given to the musicians, and then inquiring of a friend) I felt sort of like a cheap bastard, as I too certainly benefit from the live music. (If I likened it to going to a concert 10 nights in a row, it would be worth at least 100 dollars to me, probably more. )
Then, just this month, on pilgrimage to the Siva temple (Iraivan) under construction in Hawaii, I noticed the same thing going on, except this time it was for the silpis (carvers). The Sri lankan couple we were hosting/travelling with gave the silpis substantial dakshina.
Before all this, I did know that dakshina to the temple priest is customary for archanas etc. The amount has always been a bit confusing, but I make sure I give enough to feel comfortable. So here are my follow up questions for ther temple goers out there.
Who gets dakshina normally? Priests? dancers, musicians, any temple workers, the temple elephant mahout? Others?
Does the custom vary by sect or by geography?
How does one determine the amount?

Thanks for any help. i just don't want to look like a bigger idiot on the customs than I already am.

atanu
12 October 2008, 08:38 PM
Namaste Eastern Mind,

Your sensititivity and rationality is evident in all your posts. Regards.

There is a verse in Rig Veda on Dakshina, which is highly extolled. Now a days giving to poor is considered a foolish and bad thing. Sages who do not work to earn are looked down upon. Artists have been robbed of their livelihood. But at least those who have read the 'Dakshina' verse of Rig Veda will not be fooled.

Actually, Dakshina should be for those who have surrendered to God and who do not earn for their own livelihood. But it may be difficult to assess this all the time. The main principal, IMO, is same, do everything as service to God and then it will automatically be OK. You do not have to worry.

I used to worry about amounts and where all to give. Now a days, I give at one place -- to a dependable administration in ashrama or temple. The key point, I feel (about everything) is not to worry.

Om

atanu
13 October 2008, 04:41 AM
Rig Veda Book 10 HYMN CVII. Daksina.

1. THESE men's great bounty hath been manifested, and the whole world of life set free from darkness.
Great light hath come, vouchsafed us by the Fathers: apparent is the spacious path of Guerdon.

2 High up in heaven abide the Guerdon-givers: they who give steeds dwell with the Sun for ever.

They who give gold are blest with life eternal. they who give robes prolong their lives, O Soma.

3 Not from the niggards-for they give not fireely-comes Meed at sacrifice, Gods' satisfaction:

Yea, many men with hands stretched out with Guerdon present their gifts because they dread dishonour.

4 These who observe mankind regard oblation as streamy Vayu and light-finding Arka.

They satisfy and give their gifts in synod, and pour in streams the seven-mothered Guerdon.

5 He who brings Guerdon comes as first invited: chief of the hamlet comes the Guerdon-bearer.

Him I account the ruler of the people who was the first to introduce the Guerdon.

6 They call him Rsi, Brahman, Sama-chanter, reciter of the laud, leader of worship.

The brightly-shining God's three forms he knoweth who first bestowed the sacrificial Guerdon.

7 Guerdon bestows the horse, bestows the bullock, Guerdon bestows, moreover, gold that Rsisters.

Guerdon gives food which is our life and spirit. He who is wise takes Guerdon for his armour.

8 The liberal die not, never are they ruined: the liberal suffer neither harm nor trouble.

The light of heaven, the universe about us,-all this doth sacrificial Guerdon give them.

9 First have the liberal gained a fragrant dwelling, and got themselves a bride in fair apparel.

The liberal have obtained their draught of liquor, and conquered those who, unprovoked, assailed them.

10 They deck the fleet steed for the bounteous giver: the maid adorns herself and waits to meet him.

His home is like a lake with lotus blossoms, like the Gods' palaces adorned and splendid.

11 Steeds good at draught convey the liberal giver, and lightly rolling moves the car of Guerdon.

Assist, ye Gods, the liberal man in battles: the liberal giver conquers foes in combat.

atanu
13 October 2008, 04:54 AM
r.s.i: divya a_n:girasa or daks.in.a_ pra_ja_patya_; devata_: daks.in.a_ or daks.in.a_da-ta_ yajama_na;

10.107.01 The great (splendour) of Maghavan has become manifest (for the rites) of these (worshippers); all life has been extricated from darkness, the vast light bestowed by the progenitors has arrived, a spacious path for the daks.in.a_ has been displayed. (Maghavan: the sun, at whose rising and at midday the daks.in.a_ is to be given, not at sunset; cf. RV. 5.77.2].

10.107.02 The donors of the daks.in.a_ have mounted high in heaven, those who are givers of horses dwell with the sun; the givers of gold obtain immortality, the givers of raiment, O Soma, prolong their life. [Raiment: the givers of clothing] (abide with you) Soma; (they all) prolong their life].

10.107.03 The divine nourishing Daks.in.a_, which is part of the sacrifice to the gods, is not for those who go wrong, for they do not gratify (the gods with worship), but many men through fear of incurring sin liberally extending the daks.in.a_ gratify the gods.

10.107.04 They see (the offering of) the oblation to Va_yu, of the hundred streams, to the all-conscious sun, to the men-beholding (deities); they who please (the gods) and offer (oblations at the festival, let flow the daks.in.a_, the mother of seven. [Mother of seven: i.e., which has the seven sam.stha_s as in children, the agnis.t.oma etc., or that which has seven mothers as regulators (nirma_tarah), the Hota_ and other priests].

10.107.05 Summoned (by the priests) first advances the daks.in.a_ bearing (sacrificer); the head of the village bearing the daks.in.a_ goes in the front. I regard him as a king among men who first introduced the daks.in.a_.

10.107.06 They call him the r.s.i, the Bra_hman.a, the leader of the sacrifice, the chanter of the hymn, the reciter of the prayer, he knows the three forms of light who first worshipped with the daks.in.a_/ [The leader of the sacrifice: the last three epithets denote the Adhvaryu, the Udga_ta_, and the Hota_; three forms of light: i.e., Agni, Va_yu and A_ditya].

10.107.07 Daks.in.a_ gives horses, daks.in.a_ gives cows, daks.in.a_ gives gold and also silver, Daks.in.a_ bestows food. Our spirit discriminating (all things) puts on daks.in.a_ for armour.

10.107.08 The givers of enjoyment do not die, they do not go to destruction, they suffer no injury, the givers of enjoyment suffer no pain. Daks.in.a_ gives them all this world and the entire heaven.

10.107.09 The givers of enjoyment first won the cow the source (of food), the givers of enjoyment have won a bride who was beautifully attired, the givers of enjoyment have won deep potations of wine, the givers of enjoyment have conquered those who without being challenged advance to meet them.

10.107.10 For the giver of enjoyment they deck out a fleet horse, to the giver of enjoyment is presented a maiden beautifully adorned, to the giver of enjoyment belongs this dwelling, adorned like a lake full of lotus flowers, delightful as a dwelling of the gods.

10.107.11 Horses capable of bearing heavy burdens bear the giver of enjoyment, a well-constructed chariot rolls along (for the giver) of the daks.in.a_; O gods, protect the giver of enjoyment in combats; may the giver of enjoyment be the victor over his foes in battles

Eastern Mind
13 October 2008, 02:50 PM
Atanu: Thank you . After the first post, I was going to ask for the passage, but before I could get around to it, you posted it. Shows an intuitive connection. As always the meaning I struggle with but the central point was well heard. So much for translations. Now I am mostly pondering upon where I can get a horse. (Actually in this day of economic randomness, gold seems quite fitting.) One thing is for sure. I am now more aware of the custom, and shall be more willing to ask elders for advice on when and who. Aum Namashivaya

atanu
14 October 2008, 04:03 AM
Atanu: Thank you . After the first post, I was going to ask for the passage, but before I could get around to it, you posted it. Shows an intuitive connection. As always the meaning I struggle with but the central point was well heard. So much for translations. Now I am mostly pondering upon where I can get a horse. (Actually in this day of economic randomness, gold seems quite fitting.) One thing is for sure. I am now more aware of the custom, and shall be more willing to ask elders for advice on when and who. Aum Namashivaya

Namaste Eastern Mind,

Many have pointed out how Vedas impart knowledge at three levels. In this case, when immortality is the result, the Asva (horse) signifies the mind, gold the atman, and clothes the body.

Each kind of Daksina has different result.

Regards,

Om