PDA

View Full Version : Why the focus on India?

indianx
16 June 2006, 06:01 PM
I see an entire category has been dedicated to the discussion of India, while this can be attributed to the predominant presence of Hindus in India, I think it would be fair to have a section focused on International issues and discussions, since we have a significant number of members operating from countries other than India.

On a completely unrelated note, it would be wise to change the name of the section 'Western religions' for none of those religions originated in the areas accepted as the West and it only serves to further Christian propaganda (and I say Christian because of this being constantly repeated in Christian Forums) about Hindus holding a 'grudge' against the West.

Znanna
16 June 2006, 07:12 PM
Interesting first post. Why seek to criticize as entering a new group?

ZN

satay
16 June 2006, 09:47 PM
I see an entire category has been dedicated to the discussion of India, while this can be attributed to the predominant presence of Hindus in India, I think it would be fair to have a section focused on International issues and discussions, since we have a significant number of members operating from countries other than India.

On a completely unrelated note, it would be wise to change the name of the section 'Western religions' for none of those religions originated in the areas accepted as the West and it only serves to further Christian propaganda (and I say Christian because of this being constantly repeated in Christian Forums) about Hindus holding a 'grudge' against the West.

My young brother IndianX!!
How have you been?? Nice to see you here.

Nice first post. :) Not only one section but this entire site is dedicated to our mother "Bharat".

Hindus are not just in India you are right, Hindus are not even just "Indians"...but "all" hindus no matter what their place of birth or color of skin have a common mother and that mother is "Bharat" India so we dedicate this site to her!

TruthSeeker
17 June 2006, 02:23 PM

Dont underestimate the word Bharatvarsh used in Puranas and Itihasas. Our sages were not so short sighted to say that moksha is possible only in BharatVarsh. BharatVarsh is the human body capable of giving you Self knowledge. The various rivers on it it are the various pricnipal Yoga nAdis. Ganga is the principal suSumna nAdi. The confluences of Ganga with other rivers, and such holy places are various Chakras. Why does a person attain mukti when he dies in Kasi, which seems literally absurd? Because Kasi is Avimukta or Ajna Chakra.

The discussion of Bharat Varsha( stUla and linga SharIra) is the entire domain of philosophy, irrespective of the nationality! Our objective in life is to know the Bharat Varsha and move out through the Mount Menu(Sattvic Maya) and beyond.:)

Have great pride in your BharatVarsha that is the vehicle to moxa!

indianx
02 July 2006, 06:38 PM
Still, it's geographically incorrect (based on modern standards) to label these religions as 'Western', wouldn't naming the section as 'Abrahmic religions' be a better alternative (it would be the correct definition)?

I have no problems with a category for discussions of India, but it would be nice to make the forum 'global-friendly'. Since Satay's vision is one of 'positive representation of the Dharma', while we need to place the proper emphasis on the discussion of Hinduism itself, we can also facilitate the process of introducing the Dharma, explaining the Dharma to those who are new, from places other than India, etc.

These posts are not intended to criticize, but Satay and I have seen firsthand how people can take one post by a Hindu regarding spreading the Dharma and say "Hinduism is intolerant" as a result. Of course, it is correct to say 'our actions shouldn't be influenced by the thoughts and opinions of others', but while we follow that adage, we need to make sure that people who are new don't feel excluded.

satay
02 July 2006, 07:07 PM
Still, it's geographically incorrect (based on modern standards) to label these religions as 'Western', wouldn't naming the section as 'Abrahmic religions' be a better alternative (it would be the correct definition)?

I have no problems with a category for discussions of India, but it would be nice to make the forum 'global-friendly'. Since Satay's vision is one of 'positive representation of the Dharma', while we need to place the proper emphasis on the discussion of Hinduism itself, we can also facilitate the process of introducing the Dharma, explaining the Dharma to those who are new, from places other than India, etc.

These posts are not intended to criticize, but Satay and I have seen firsthand how people can take one post by a Hindu regarding spreading the Dharma and say "Hinduism is intolerant" as a result. Of course, it is correct to say 'our actions shouldn't be influenced by the thoughts and opinions of others', but while we follow that adage, we need to make sure that people who are new don't feel excluded.

Yes, I agree naming it 'abrahmic religions' is a better alternative. stay tuned for the name change...unless anyone else has an objection or a better alternative?

Sudarshan
06 July 2006, 01:52 PM
Abrahamic looks better. Mleccha religions looks even better - err, I was just thinking aloud, dont take it seriously.:D

indianx
06 July 2006, 04:30 PM
Darn, I spelled Abrahamic incorrectly, thanks for pointing that out.

Vajradhara
27 July 2006, 11:47 PM
Namaste all,

on a side note, i do like to poke a bit of fun at my Muslim friends by reminding them that, from my point of view, Islam is a "western religion" :)

they often find little humor in that.

metta,

~v