PDA

View Full Version : I am a Vaishnava

Jack_ripper
26 October 2008, 02:10 AM
Hello everyone, I ll like to introduce about my self. I am a vaisnava and my hometown is in Tamil Nadu and i am settled in Delhi. I don't know much as to what i should be doing at this age. Can anyone guide as to what are my duties at this age ,please? I am a little way lost in my religion so please help.

srikanthdk71
05 November 2008, 06:15 AM
Hello everyone, I ll like to introduce about my self. I am a vaisnava and my hometown is in Tamil Nadu and i am settled in Delhi. I don't know much as to what i should be doing at this age. Can anyone guide as to what are my duties at this age ,please? I am a little way lost in my religion so please help.

Hi, hope you know me. I think i have seen you on Audarya forum. Anyway, its left to you to choose to be spiritual or a Vaishnava. To be spiritual needs no tags and needs just broad thinking and the will to appreciate all schools of taughts and choosing the best which suits your mentality. After all everything leads to the same truth.

Now assuming that you choose to live a life of a Shaivaite or a Vaishnavaite, you need to believe things and able to quantify with your beliefs blindly. A shaivaite will not believe a vaishnavite eventhough he is telling the truth because he is affiliated not to do so. The same holds good vice-versa. But I am sure you will learn more even in these schools of taughts unless you learn to extract the truth and essence from all forms of literature.

All the best.

paarsurrey
05 November 2008, 06:50 AM
Hi

I don't know any Sansikrit or Hindi; so I don't know what is a Vaishnava? Kindly tell me so that I can understand and follow the discussion.

Thanks

devotee
05 November 2008, 08:15 AM
Hi, hope you know me. I think i have seen you on Audarya forum. Anyway, its left to you to choose to be spiritual or a Vaishnava. To be spiritual needs no tags and needs just broad thinking and the will to appreciate all schools of taughts and choosing the best which suits your mentality. After all everything leads to the same truth.

Namaste Srikanth,

Can you elaborate how do you come to this conclusion that being a Vaisnava is equivalent to being non-spiritual ? And how just having broad
thinking makes you spiritual ? If you appreciate all school of thoughts, you are spiritual otherwise not, right ? If everything leads to the same Truth, how a Vaisnva reaches some other destination to be branded as non-spiritual ??

OM

devotee
05 November 2008, 08:33 AM
Hi

I don't know any Sansikrit or Hindi; so I don't know what is a Vaishnava? Kindly tell me so that I can understand and follow the discussion.

Namaste paarsurrey,

A Vaishnava is a devotee of Lord Vishnu. Vaishnavites consider Lord Vishnu the supreme personality of Godhead. They are normally strict vegetarians.

Hindus believe that Lord Brahma is the creator, Lord Vishnu, the nourisher & Lord Shiva the destroyer. However, these are just different personalities of the same Supreme all powerful God.

OM

yajvan
06 November 2008, 10:06 AM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste Jack,
If I found myself asking these questions I would do a couple of things:

Go to the local mandir ( from mandira or house, dwelling i.e. temple) and talk with the the pundit's there. Be open with them on your intent.
Associate with other Vaishnavas locally that know the customs.
Continue your posts and questions here on HDF
Read Vaishnava literature. Come to know the 4 types of schools i.e. four sampradayas
Practice this approach (faith) both in knowledge and action.pranams

Atman
07 November 2008, 08:47 AM
Vaishnavas also do not have illicit sex or masturbate- they are meant to gradually reach the stage of Urdhaverata.

Dharmaboy_Vishal
24 June 2009, 12:46 AM
Namaste,

Not to attack anyone, but I don't believe that one cant make assumptions about what all Vaishnavas do (sexually, dietary, etc.), although there are customs and traditions (which come from the cultural areas which certain devotees grew up within), it is about finding your own path in life. Not about following dogmatic rules. However, i agree with Yajvan-ji in his post about getting in contact with other Vaishnavas in your area that way, you will be exposed to the customs and traditions that they follow and can find what helps you to grow spiritually!

Om Namo Narayana

Arjun The Vaishnava
01 November 2010, 09:37 PM
Namaste,

Not to attack anyone, but I don't believe that one cant make assumptions about what all Vaishnavas do (sexually, dietary, etc.), although there are customs and traditions (which come from the cultural areas which certain devotees grew up within), it is about finding your own path in life. Not about following dogmatic rules. However, i agree with Yajvan-ji in his post about getting in contact with other Vaishnavas in your area that way, you will be exposed to the customs and traditions that they follow and can find what helps you to grow spiritually!

Om Namo Narayana

Well said, my friend! I could not agree more!

anadi
05 November 2010, 02:45 AM
Now assuming that you choose to live a life of a Shaivaite or a Vaishnavaite, you need to believe things and able to quantify with your beliefs blindly. A shaivaite will not believe a vaishnavite eventhough he is telling the truth because he is affiliated not to do so. The same holds good vice-versa.

Historically “families of belief” develop. Sometimes they come together and sometimes they separate. Krishna, Narayan, Vishnu, Vasudeva Siva... all these personalities were originally the gods of different cults, tribes or peoples, which through similarity or analogy were identified with one another, their myths intertwined and their ethics merged.
It is so interesting that so much of the shastra is about identifying one with the other, and then Rupa Goswami comes along and announces--

siddhāntatas tv abhede'pi

śrīśa-kṛṣṇa-svarūpayoḥ
rasenotkṛṣyate kṛṣṇa-
rūpa eṣa rasa-sthitiḥ

This is one of the most important mahavakyas (great messages) in Rupa Goswami's philosophy. It is basically saying that shastra is useless for higher faith. Everyone is quoting shastra about this one and that one being better, "because it says so." krishnas tu bhagavan svayaM (but Krişna is the original Supreme Lord) is a statement on this order. You can believe it or not believe it. What can be done if someone does not? You say, "to each his own."

But Rupa Goswami says that we are going to "judge" God's various forms on the basis of their effects. He says that if God is sat-chit-ananda, by axiomatic definition, then we must judge Him especially on the basis of His ananda - ecstatic joy. Where is there the most ecstacy?

This is a huge first step to raganuga bhakti – the meditational bhakti, about Vrindavan-Krişna, taught by Sri Krişna Caitanya. Because if you are still discussing life after life time God's powers, you will never really experience His ecstatic love (premA-ananda).

(inspiration from Jagad-ananda's writings)

charlebs
05 November 2010, 08:47 AM
I´m also vaishnava, I recognize krishna with God, with all pervading wisdom, beauty and majesty
I also believe krishna and shiva are very dear to each other, and that one is able to transform us and one is able to sustain us
they are both ever merciful to their people and both affect this reality that is created for us into their core