PDA

View Full Version : Sikhism- a seperate religion?

Singh Khalsa
27 October 2008, 07:58 AM
Vaheguroo Ji Ka Khalsa Vaheguroo Ji Ki Fateh

Bhai Gurdas Vara is a scripture of the Sikhs given authority by the 5th Guru, Guru Arjan Dev Ji Maharaj himself. It is known as the "key to Guru Granth Sahib Ji", as it helps us to understand the philosophy of Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

Many people believe that Guru Nanak Dev Ji did not start a new religion, this is incorrect, Bhai Gurdas Vara confirm this:

ਮਾਰਿਆ ਸਿਕਾ ਜਗਤਿ ਵਿਚਿ ਨਾਨਕ ਨਿਰਮਲ ਪੰਥੁ ਚਲਾਇਆ ।
maariaa sikaa jagati vichi naanak niramal pandu chalaaiaa|
In the world, he (Guru Nanak Dev Ji) established the authority (of his doctrines) and started a religion, devoid of any impurity.

Similarly, Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaj was also asked about his path:

First there were Hindus and Muslims, take note, there are three now. (GurPartapSurya)

On his way towards Deccan, Guru Gobind Singh reached Pushkar .The discussion that took place there is recorded this way in Surya Prakash.
Brahmins, Merchants and others came with Pandit Chaitin. Having made salutation they sat down in the assembly and asked, “What is their Caste? How we recognize them. Your companions wear unshorn hair, what we can say is their Caste? There are many new garbs, but none of them is Hindu or Moslem.” Having heard that Guru replied, “Khalsa is the third Panth in the world. It is distinct from Hindus and Moslems. They are servants of the Eternal, Immortal.” When Guru Gobind Singh met the Emperor Bahadur Shah, this discussion transpired. Bahadur Shah said, “There are two religions, Hindus and Moslems, What appeals to you? On what you have faith, Hinduism or Islam?” To that Guru Gobind Singh replied, "Hindu, Moslems whatever way they follow we wish them both well. The Moslems preach fasting; prayer call and five prayers are supreme for them. Hindus perform Sandhya, adoration and rites of stone Gods, and such others are acceptable to Hindus. We consider both the same way abandoning all others; we have established the Khalsa as the third (religion). Without distinction we abandon all else and seek the shelter of the Eternal, the Purusha." (Gur Pratap Surya)
Gur Bilas and Panth Parkash: To the two religions was added the Third. Taking the support of Almighty, Guru Gobind Singh created the Khalsa Panth, above the Hindus and Moslems. "Forgetting all ways adopt the Khalsa Panth,” said the Tenth Guru, the Light Incarnate. (Gur Bilas) Again distinct from the Hindus and Moslems, He said, "Establish I this Panth, powerful indeed." (Panth Parkash)

I hope that this post has removed any illusion

TatTvamAsi
27 October 2008, 10:33 PM
Hindus perform Sandhya, adoration and rites of stone Gods, and such others are acceptable to Hindus. We consider both the same way abandoning all others; we have established the Khalsa as the third (religion). Without distinction we abandon all else and seek the shelter of the Eternal, the Purusha." (Gur Pratap Surya)
Gur Bilas and Panth Parkash: To the two religions was added the Third. Taking the support of Almighty, Guru Gobind Singh created the Khalsa Panth, above the Hindus and Moslems. "Forgetting all ways adopt the Khalsa Panth,” said the Tenth Guru, the Light Incarnate. (Gur Bilas) Again distinct from the Hindus and Moslems, He said, "Establish I this Panth, powerful indeed." (Panth Parkash)

Anyone who says that Hindus 'worship stone gods' is not a learned person, let alone a 'guru'. Secondly, where is the "above Hindus and muslims..." when the immortal is the only one? There is no above, below, left, or right. If the Sikh gurus recognized that, then they were following Hinduism. If they didn't and became exclusivist, as you point out, they became muslims. It is quite sad that you and sikhs in general are struggling to establish your identity; everyone thinks either you're a Hindu or a muslim. This is why you and other sikhs incessantly harp about distancing yourselves from Hinduism. Fact is, too bad! Your religion has simply adopted bits and pieces of Hindu philosophy along with some muslim tradition prevalent in India at that time.

The Sankhya philosophy (darshana), is obviously accepted by the sikhs as you mentioned in your quote above: the Purusha. That is inextricably linked to Hindu thought. There is no running from it.

I sure hope it removes the illusion it has for you!

JAI HIND!

Znanna
28 October 2008, 08:36 PM
Forgive me, but I'm totally ignorant on Sikhism eschatology.

Would it be possible to succinctly compare/contrast with other doctrines for those as uninformed as myself?

Namaste,
ZN

Sudarshan
29 October 2008, 11:40 AM
I think the periodic reference to Hindus worshipping 'stone gods' is made deliberately by those preaching against it.

Most religions lack the subtle symbolism that vedic seers have used throughout their revelations. People denigrate the vedic religion inspite of our rich sublime philosophy in the upanishads and the Gita. Some people think samhita and brAhmaNas are promarily ritualistic, but they are also high philosophical ideas expressed in a symbolic notation. purANAs and itihAsas often appear to contain numerous fancy tales but even these are quite mystical in content. We have perhaps the most sublime of all the philsophy in the world..and whatever else in any other religion is contained within the broad scope of sanAtana dharma.

The vedic religion is not a one shoe fits all religion. It is meant for many different people of different levels and temperaments. There are outward rituals that are meant for external purification and inward comtemplation for inner purification. Most religions have a bunch of cock and bull stories yet they spare no thought when associating us with idolatory.

Even the village peasant untrained in Hindu religion who cleans the cowdung everyday knows much more philosophy than the so called scholars of some of these aristocratic religions. No wonder they dont have a clue as to the purpose of worshipping God through these symbolic means, The so called bishops or mullahs or sikh leaders cant understand what the most illiterate Hindu understands by idol worship. What a pity.

Even some of the famous saints in our country have been ignorant on this issue. They simply failed to understand that the idol is never treated as God but only as a symbolic reference to an entity that has no representation in nature.

PrimeDirectives
20 February 2009, 03:05 PM
Was Guru Nanak a Hindu?

A Hindu is any person who practices good Karma, Bhakti, or Jnana for achieving Moksha. Nanakdasa's goal was Moksha (Morgan, P. 41 Religion of the Hindus). Many Sikh texts mention Moksha.

What did Nanakdas say?:
Once when a Muslim had asked Guru Nanak his religion, Nanak replied that he worships only One God. The Muslim then said that Nanak must be a Muslim because Nanak worships one God. Nanak then replied, "Veda's also talk of one Ishvar. Why should I then not call myself a Hindu?"

"I am sent to the Mohammedians to reconcile your jarring faiths ; and I implore you to read the Hindu scriptures, as well as your own ;..." (Malcolm, P. 161 Sketch of the Sikhs).

"Some sing the praise of His power -- He is all powerful, omnipotent. Some sing of His benefaction and munificence -- He is the supreme giver. Some sing of the glory of His attributes, His beauty -- He is the most beautiful. Some call Him truth, some call Him Shiva, some call Him the beautiful."

Lets see what some Sikh scholars say:
Sikh scholar Sardar Gulab Singh in lecture at the Guru Ka Bagh in Amritsar declares that, "Sikh faith is the true Sanatan Dharma. The four Vedas are also the four religious books of the Sikhs (Oberoi, P. 102 The Construction of Religious Boundaries).

Hardyal Singh M.A., a famous Punjabi revolutionary during the time of the British Raj, said that "If you were to remove every page that contained the name of Bithal or Ram from the Granth, you will be left with nothing more than a few pages and the book case." The Guru Granth Sahib clearly states that Bithal is the Lord.

As Gurbachan Singh, an important Sikh spiritual figure once proclaimed: "The responsibilities assigned from time to time to prophets like Noah, Rama, Krishna, Moses, Christ, Muhammad, Kabir, Nanak, and Dayal have now been put on shoulders by my predecessor Baba Avtar Singh." Lets see what some Sikh scriptures read:
As the Sri Guru Granth Sahib reads, "Dharma, Artha, Kaam and Moksha follow God's devotee like shadow" (SGGS 1320).

The Gurbilas Patsahi written in the nineteenth century by Sikh Koer Singh recommends that his readers pay the same attention to the Puranic scriptures as they would the Adi Granth, and that Guru Gobind Singh is the 24th Avatar of Vishnu (Oberoi, P. 99-103 The Construction of Religious Boundaries).

What do Sikhs themselves say?:
Many Sikhs identify themselves with Hinduism. They are the Sanatan Sikhs.

Sanatan Sikh sects are 1) Ravidasi 2) Kabirpanthi 3) Nihang 4) Udasi 5) Ramanandi

Further the Sanatan Singh Sabha was a very important organization during the British Imperialist era.

Most Sikhs carry Hindu names - names invented by Hindus (e.g., Jaspreet, Harbhajan). The name of 'Singh' is adopted from the Rajputs.

The royal families of Faridkot, Nabha, and Patiala are all of Sikh nobility. They all engaged Brahmin priests and Hindu temples were built for family use. Maharajah Pupinder Singh offered bali (sacrifice) of a waterbuffalo to the temple of Kali in Patiala which he built. Every year the Maharajah of Patiala donates a nose ring and gold bracelet to the River Sarsa which is directed by the Brahmin priests and in accordance to Hindu traditions.

For a lot more information go here:
http://hinduwiki.com/index.php?title=Sikhism_and_Hinduism#Following_Hindu_traditions
http://hinduwiki.com/index.php?title=Sanatan_Sikhs

PrimeDirectives
20 February 2009, 03:12 PM
Probably about 35% at least are Sanatan Sikhs.

darshansingh
18 July 2010, 01:16 AM
My first post. I thank and congratulate the forum creators, who obviously are hindus, but are willing learners of sikhism.

My points on the question.
There are two kinds of hindus on the basis of their attitude towards sikhs.
1. The loving ones - Who say that sikhism is so similar to their hindu belief system that to call it different won't make sense. Hence, they even allow sikhs to enter sanctum sanctorum of temples where only hindus are allowed. (I was allowed in meenakshi temple, madurai)
( Note: there is no ONE hindu belief system, and sikh belief system is similar to belief system of many hindus - who believe in monotheistic nirgun god and so on)

2. There's another category - who say why do sikhs say its new religion (hence philosophy) when most of the philosophy was already there. And they give example of advaita philosophy, guru parampara and so on. They take it as an ego issue - Hindu already knew all that is in Guru Granth Sahib. Sure. But sikhs are not making the claim of novelty.

Some in category 2 have sinister motive, to assimilate the sikhs ( i.e. cut hair, worship idols and so on).

I really have hard time understanding why would any hindu ( of category 2b) want that. Sikhs were never threat to hindus. In fact, over their brief history have always defended hindus ( and themselves) and Islamic threat. And sikhs are always indebted to many hindu families who brought up their eldest son as sikh. And there are tens of hindu saints who are very respectful for sikhs - raidas, namdev, ramanand.

Yes, sikh philosophy has a lot in common with some hindu philosophies.

I could say this as an example -
If Hindus = Set of integers and Sikhs = Prime numbers
Hindus would you are just an integer so you are one of us. Sikhs say but we have some other properties also which not all other integers have. We rather be called prime numbers than integers. (case in point being: Hinduism is large collection of philosophical systems; and sikhism is a specific refined system)

I hope I made sense. I have vast respect for hinduism - I will write that in some other post.

Believer
19 July 2010, 02:04 PM
darshansinghji,

Welcome to this forum and we are all honored and enriched by your presence among us and by your very first post.

You have made some very valid points in your post. However a religion does not thrive or disappear because of the wishful thinking of the fringe element of another group of people. May Sikhism live for ever!

As you pointed out, most of the contents of Guru Granthsahib are contained in the pre-existing vast array of hindu literature. But that by no means, makes the existence/need of Sikhism irrelevant. It is tradition started to meet the spiritual needs/identity of a segment of the society and it will thrive based on their need/adherence to it. I am not being disrespectful by mentioning that Prof. Kushwant Singh once remarked that Sikhism is an aapat-kaleen religion, which sprouted, because at the time the country itself was in peril and the existing religious practices were corrupt, and that it will ultimately merge into Hinduism. It does not benefit anyone if it ultimately merges into Hinduism or maintains its separate identity. That depends entirely on its adherents. In the mean time, we two have one heart even though our spiritual journeys may diverge a little. You are always welcome into our temples, as am I always welcomed into the Gurudwaras. And, please do come back to enlighten us some more.

Regards.

Kumar_Das
20 July 2010, 02:40 AM
My first post. I thank and congratulate the forum creators, who obviously are hindus, but are willing learners of sikhism.

My points on the question.
There are two kinds of hindus on the basis of their attitude towards sikhs.
1. The loving ones - Who say that sikhism is so similar to their hindu belief system that to call it different won't make sense. Hence, they even allow sikhs to enter sanctum sanctorum of temples where only hindus are allowed. (I was allowed in meenakshi temple, madurai)
( Note: there is no ONE hindu belief system, and sikh belief system is similar to belief system of many hindus - who believe in monotheistic nirgun god and so on)

2. There's another category - who say why do sikhs say its new religion (hence philosophy) when most of the philosophy was already there. And they give example of advaita philosophy, guru parampara and so on. They take it as an ego issue - Hindu already knew all that is in Guru Granth Sahib. Sure. But sikhs are not making the claim of novelty.

Some in category 2 have sinister motive, to assimilate the sikhs ( i.e. cut hair, worship idols and so on).

I really have hard time understanding why would any hindu ( of category 2b) want that. Sikhs were never threat to hindus. In fact, over their brief history have always defended hindus ( and themselves) and Islamic threat. And sikhs are always indebted to many hindu families who brought up their eldest son as sikh. And there are tens of hindu saints who are very respectful for sikhs - raidas, namdev, ramanand.

Yes, sikh philosophy has a lot in common with some hindu philosophies.

I could say this as an example -
If Hindus = Set of integers and Sikhs = Prime numbers
Hindus would you are just an integer so you are one of us. Sikhs say but we have some other properties also which not all other integers have. We rather be called prime numbers than integers. (case in point being: Hinduism is large collection of philosophical systems; and sikhism is a specific refined system)

I hope I made sense. I have vast respect for hinduism - I will write that in some other post.

Well of course there are three main things that makes Sikhs and Hindus essentially "siblings in faith"

1) where there is no mandir for a Hindu to worship, he can go to a gurdwara / where there is no gurdwara for a Sikh to worship, he can go to mandir. So much so that in a Hindu temple that wont admit non-Hindus, the only non-Hindus allowed are Sikhs - like you said.

Infact both do visit each others places of worship deliberately even when they have options otherwise to celebrate each other's festivities. Both do engage in each other's kirtan even. And both share the same method of preparation of temple food offerings / prashad, so both can only recieve prashad that are made by each other.

So this itself is a huge factor.

2) Indian Hindus/Sikhs share the same historical, cultural, national and racial heritage. And like you said Hindu families sent their eldest sons to the Khalsa - which to me most importantly binds the bond. Two groups, very similar who suffered together and fought against a common oppressor together.

3) the religions themselves are very closely related i.e the scriptures. Sure some Sikhs today would be adamant about denying this irrefutable/undeniable fact. But the Granth Sahib draws heavily from both Sufism(which in the Indian subcontinent and elsewhere itself claims to be inspired by Hinduism) and Hinduism mainly the North Indian Vaishnavism.

However there are several points here to considers as well;

~ In the past in Punjab, there were Sikhs who called themselves "Hindu Sikhs" and Hindus who called themselves as "Sikh Hindus". The British, with their "divide-and-conquer" agenda sought to divide Sikhs into an entirely distinct group. Also because Sikhs (I'm not being condescending but merely stating the facts here) provided better military labour.

To the contrast however, the upper caste Hindus i.e Brahmins and Rajputs were much more rebellious. So the Sikhs, mainly the Jatts (Jat Regiment) were their favourite. That is not to say that Jatt Sikhs were not at all patriotic because there were some Jatt freedom fighters like Bhagat Singh.(Bhagat Singh was a Hindu Jatt some say otherwise - whatever)

Although initially the Sikhs having provided a stiff resistance against the British, eventually seemed to have been brainwashed by them into having animosity towards us Hindus that Sikhs are being taken advantage of by us i.e told by the British they are not recognized for what they are due, their contributions for us.

They(Sikhs) were bribed by the British special treatment over us Hindus, if they were to be more loyal to them.

And there you have Sikhs starting to distance themselves. The older generations influenced by the Brits insisting that Sikhs kept a seperate identity and prevent from being amalgamated into Hindu fold.

With the independence of India drawing in, the rise of Khalistan/aka muhammadan Sikhsm suddenly being against idolatry even though it was a common practice to worship Hindu devatas in image form in some gurdwaras.

Nihangs worship Shakti Devi before using weapons just like Rajputs. Khalsa draws heavily from Hindu Shastar Vidya of Rajputs.

Sikh - 1:38 "that means the Goddess is happy"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wPQKmhlFUA

Another important Sikhism isnt really "monotheism". Monotheism isnt just the belief in "One God". But who this "One God" is.

Sikhs state that "Waheguru" is Nirankar. But goes into pantheism.

And calls "Waheguru" as "seated upon a throne" and a parent "father/mother" and "Guru" how can that be?

And how can Waheguru be "karta purakh"? How can formless God be "personified"/purakh? and that too "creatively"/karta?

This is heresy to muslims and also not acceptable to Hindu Monotheism. Because "creativity" would simply be an expression of God's potency not God Himself.

In Vaishnava Monotheism, all this creativity is Vishnu's sport/lila. God neither "needs" to do all this, nor "wants" to do all this. He simply does it.

It does not effect His own nature but merely is His own expression - it is not a reflection of Him nor can we conceive any actual "reason" because it is all beyond our comprehension.

This is signified by Shri Krishna playing the flute.

http://arunachalnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/krishna_0.jpg

And we have no choice but to engage in this, whether we admit He is the One or not.

Signified by everyone being enchanted and mesmerized

http://www.thetruthsoflife.com/spiritual-wallpapers/hinduism/krishna_flute_1740-1024x768.jpg

Sikh idea of God goes against both Vedanta Brahman and quranic allah.

But is Sufi definition of allah, which is not really monotheism but "feeling" God in an esoteric way.

Nevertheless I shall still treat Sikhs with indifference as though they are akin to me like fellow Hindus.

Believer
20 July 2010, 12:23 PM
The Indian analytical mind is one of our great blessings and a curse too. With our scientific background, we tend to pick apart everything into little pieces, sometimes without any substantiation to back up the claims, and create a disharmonious atmosphere.

Is it really necessary?
Can we control our urge to go for an intellectual vomit?
I sure hope so!

darshansingh
22 July 2010, 10:27 AM
I will take Believer's advice in not doing intellectual vomit. To understand more about Nanak's definition of God; and understand why its not self-contradictory, you should read Prof Sahib Singh (who incidently was born a Hindu)

Just wanted to give alternative view of Sikh's relationship with British.

1. Percentage of Freedom Fighters executed by British -
Sikhs represented 1-2% of general population, but represented 70-80% of freedom fighters executed between 1857-1947

2. Similar percentage for people jailed in KalaPani

3. When British decided to teach indians a lesson, they chose Jallianwala Bagh and killed 1000s of sikhs

4. Nehru chose Lahore to announce his declaration of 1931 in the middle of sikh heartland.

Now, to call sikhs "loyal" to British seems out of place

Believer
22 July 2010, 01:04 PM
All your points are well taken.
We should not let the fringe elements from both sides "fabricate" history and create ill will.
More than that, let us move forward as one people and take the nation to the international stature that it deserves.

dogra
25 August 2010, 03:46 PM
Sikhism is a separate religion like Bhuddism and Janism, India recognises and repects all faiths.
Many Hindu people have great regard for the Gurus, and their scacrifices and humanity.
Hinduism is also a religion of humanity, as two of prime directives:
1) Karma Yoga- selfless service to humanity
2) Lord Krihsna, states he reides in all people, so all people must be accepted as equals.

Kumar_Das
25 September 2010, 07:15 PM
Hinduism is beneath Islam and Sikhism. Truth stands clear from Error. The idolators and polytheists only have Hell-Fire. Allah is the Almighty. Muhammad is the Messenger of God. Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Sikhism - religion of One God. Hindus are stupid and lowly.

Harjas Kaur
26 September 2010, 06:57 PM
Your post belongs in the Islamic section of the forum as ISLAM and Abrahamic religion is unrelated to Sikhism in any way. The only association is that modernly during times of British Raj much political mischief was done to distance Sikhs from their Sanatana Dharmi heritage.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/150/387101027_6a9f1ab3f0.jpg
Fresco depicting a scene from Markandey Puraan where Durga crushes Mahikasur (a demon),
at the Guru Ram Rai Udasin Akhara at Dehradun, Uttranchal, India. Chitrakari's photo stream (http://www.flickr.com/photos/88119811@N00/387101027/)

ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਨਾਦੰ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਵੇਦੰ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਰਹਿਆ ਸਮਾਈ ॥
guramukh naadhan guramukh vaedhan guramukh rehiaa samaaee ||
The Guru's Word is the Sound-current of the Naad; the Guru's Word is the Wisdom of the Vedas; the Guru's Word is all-pervading.

ਗੁਰੁ ਈਸਰੁ ਗੁਰੁ ਗੋਰਖੁ ਬਰਮਾ ਗੁਰੁ ਪਾਰਬਤੀ ਮਾਈ ॥
gur eesar gur gorakh baramaa gur paarabathee maaee ||
The Guru is Shiva, the Guru is Vishnu and Brahma; the Guru is Paarvati and Lakhshmi.

ਜੇ ਹਉ ਜਾਣਾ ਆਖਾ ਨਾਹੀ ਕਹਣਾ ਕਥਨੁ ਨ ਜਾਈ ॥
jae ho jaanaa aakhaa naahee kehanaa kathhan n jaaee ||
Even knowing God, I cannot describe Him; He cannot be described in words.
~Shri Guru Granth Sahib Ji ang 2
-------------------------------

ਜੋਤ ਜਗਮਗੈ ਜਗਤਿ ਮੈ ਚੰਡ ਚਮੁੰਡ ਪ੍ਰਚੰਡ ॥
Jot jagmagad jagad(i) mai Channd ChaMunnd praChanndd||
Thy light is shining in the world, O Powerful Chand-Chamunda!

ਭੁਜ ਦੰਡਨ ਦੰਡਨਿ ਅਸੁਰ ਮੰਡਨ ਭੁਇ ਨਵ ਖੰਡ ॥੩॥
Bhuj danndan danndan(i) asur mandan bhue nav khand||3||
Thou art the Punisher of the demons with Thy strong arms and art the Creator of the nine regions.

ਸ੍ਵੈਯਾ ॥
Swaiyaa||
SWAYYA

ਤਾਰਨ ਲੋਕ ਉਧਾਰਨ ਭੂਮਹਿ ਦੈਤ ਸੰਘਾਰਨ ਚੰਡ ਤੁਹੀ ਹੈ ॥
Taaran lok udhaaran bhoomah(i) dait sanghaaran Channd tuhoo hai||
Thou art the same Chandika, who ferries across the people; Thou art the redeemer of the earth and destroyer of the demons.

ਕਾਰਨ ਈਸ ਕਲਾ ਕਮਲਾ ਹਰਿ ਅਦ੍ਰਸੁਤਾ ਜਹ ਦੇਖੇ ਉਹੀ ਹੈ ॥
Kaaran oos kalaa kamlaa har(i) adrasutaa jah dekhe uhoo hai||
Thou art the cause of the Shakti of Shiva, Lakshmi of Vishnu and Parvati, the daughter of Himavan, wherever we see, Thou art there.
~Shri Dasam Granth Sahib Ji p. 176

It was the same Islamic invaders the Sikhs were laying down their lives fighting against and being martyred by. So I don't understand your point. Do you have a point? Sanatana Dharma encompasses many religions plural, and Sikhism is part of Bharat Bhoomi and heritage remains within the Dharma. It is not nor has ever been Islamic, but was created during Mughal invasions to protect the Dharma. You are confused person.

Kumar_Das writes:

"Yet they all force us to recognize them as superior and spit at our faces calling us as "lowly kaffirs" and what not yet we keep silent and humble at all times. Times are tough for the Hindu. Only God can help us from these demons."

Are you incapable of doing basic research to distinguish between religions of Islam and Sikhism? Word kaffir does not appear anywhere in Sikhism you fool. Who do you think you are, calling Sikhs as demons? Sikhs do not believe in the Quran or Mohammed or any prophet. Not any such Islamic teaching exists in Sikh Gurubani. Because of the Sikhs India is NOT Islamic. Because Sikhs stopped the Islamic invasions. Please get educated sometime soon. Your ignorance and your accusations are wearying.

Harjas Kaur
26 September 2010, 07:22 PM
"I think the periodic reference to Hindus worshipping 'stone gods' is made deliberately by those preaching against it."

http://www.mynews.in/News/dailyimage/news/kabir-das-l.jpg
Vaishnav Bhakta Sant Kabir Ji

Your objection about "stone gods" is reference to Bhagat Kabir bani. He was born a Muslim. But he was an initiated Vaishnav bhakta of brahmin Sant Guru Ramanand. His teachings have nothing to do with Islamic monotheism and his objection to murthi pooj has to do with Vaishnav sects refusal to worship the demi-Gods. Sant Kabir Ji was a famous Ram-Naami who japped Name of Lord Rama as boat of mukti for the Kaliyug. Please get educated people, you are only repeating the ignorant assertions which the British made to divide Sikh and Hindu brother communities.

Harjas Kaur
26 September 2010, 07:28 PM
Satguru Arjun Dev Ji writes:

ਸ੍ਰੀ ਰਾਮਚੰਦ ਜਿਸੁ ਰੂਪੁ ਨ ਰੇਖਿਆ ॥
sree raamachandh jis roop n raekhiaa ||
You are the Great Raam Chand, who has no form or feature.

ਬਨਵਾਲੀ ਚਕ੍ਰਪਾਣਿ ਦਰਸਿ ਅਨੂਪਿਆ ॥
banavaalee chakrapaan dharas anoopiaa ||
Adorned with flowers, holding the chakra in Your hand, Your form is incomparably beautiful.

ਸਹਸ ਨੇਤ੍ਰ ਮੂਰਤਿ ਹੈ ਸਹਸਾ ਇਕੁ ਦਾਤਾ ਸਭ ਹੈ ਮੰਗਾ ॥੪॥
sehas naethr moorath hai sehasaa eik dhaathaa sabh hai mangaa ||4||
You have thousands of eyes, and thousands of forms. You alone are the Giver, and all are beggars of You. ||4||

ਭਗਤਿ ਵਛਲੁ ਅਨਾਥਹ ਨਾਥੇ ॥
bhagath vashhal anaathheh naathhae ||
You are the Lover of Your devotees, the Master of the masterless.

ਗੋਪੀ ਨਾਥੁ ਸਗਲ ਹੈ ਸਾਥੇ ॥
gopee naathh sagal hai saathhae ||
The Lord and Master of the milk-maids, You are the companion of all.

ਬਾਸੁਦੇਵ ਨਿਰੰਜਨ ਦਾਤੇ ਬਰਨਿ ਨ ਸਾਕਉ ਗੁਣ ਅੰਗਾ ॥੫॥
baasudhaev niranjan dhaathae baran n saako gun angaa ||5||
O Lord, Immacuate Great Giver, I cannot describe even an iota of Your Glorious Virtues. ||5||

ਮੁਕੰਦ ਮਨੋਹਰ ਲਖਮੀ ਨਾਰਾਇਣ ॥
mukandh manohar lakhamee naaraaein ||
Liberator, Enticing Lord, Lord of Lakshmi, Supreme Lord God.

ਦ੍ਰੋਪਤੀ ਲਜਾ ਨਿਵਾਰਿ ਉਧਾਰਣ ॥
dhropathee lajaa nivaar oudhhaaran ||
Savior of Dropadi's honor.

ਕਮਲਾਕੰਤ ਕਰਹਿ ਕੰਤੂਹਲ ਅਨਦ ਬਿਨੋਦੀ ਨਿਹਸੰਗਾ ॥੬॥
kamalaakanth karehi kanthoohal anadh binodhee nihasangaa ||6||
Lord of Maya, miracle-worker, absorbed in delightful play, unattached. ||6||

ਅਮੋਘ ਦਰਸਨ ਆਜੂਨੀ ਸੰਭਉ ॥
amogh dharasan aajoonee sanbho ||
The Blessed Vision of His Darshan is fruitful and rewarding; He is not born, He is self-existent.

ਅਕਾਲ ਮੂਰਤਿ ਜਿਸੁ ਕਦੇ ਨਾਹੀ ਖਉ ॥
akaal moorath jis kadhae naahee kho ||
His form is undying; it is never destroyed.

ਅਬਿਨਾਸੀ ਅਬਿਗਤ ਅਗੋਚਰ ਸਭੁ ਕਿਛੁ ਤੁਝ ਹੀ ਹੈ ਲਗਾ ॥੭॥
abinaasee abigath agochar sabh kishh thujh hee hai lagaa ||7||
O imperishable, eternal, unfathomable Lord, everything is attached to You.

ਸ੍ਰੀਰੰਗ ਬੈਕੁੰਠ ਕੇ ਵਾਸੀ ॥
sreerang baikunth kae vaasee ||
The Lover of greatness, who dwells in heaven.
~Shri Guru Granth Sahib Ji p. 1082

kv_rangan
19 January 2011, 07:29 AM
Here are some more ,

ਆਪੇ ਸਿਵ ਵਰਤਾਈਅਨੁ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਆਪੇ ਸੀਤਲੁ ਠਾਰੁ ਗੜਾ ॥੧੩॥
आपे सिव वरताईअनु अंतरि आपे सीतलु ठारु गड़ा ॥१३॥
Āpe siv varṯā▫ī▫an anṯar āpe sīṯal ṯẖār gaṛā. ||13||
You are Shiva; You are cool and icy calm. ||13||

ਤਿਸ ਹੀ ਸੁਖੁ ਤਿਸ ਹੀ ਠਕੁਰਾਈ ਤਿਸਹਿ ਨ ਆਵੈ ਜਮੁ ਨੇੜਾ ॥੧੪॥
तिस ही सुखु तिस ही ठकुराई तिसहि न आवै जमु नेड़ा ॥१४॥
Ŧis hī sukẖ ṯis hī ṯẖakurā▫ī ṯisėh na āvai jam neṛā. ||14||
He is peaceful, and he is the master of all; the Messenger of Death does not even approach him. ||14||

ਕੀਮਤਿ ਕਾਗਦ ਕਹੀ ਨ ਜਾਈ ॥
कीमति कागद कही न जाई ॥
Kīmaṯ kāgaḏ kahī na jā▫ī.
His value cannot be described on paper.
ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਬੇਅੰਤ ਗੁਸਾਈ ॥
कहु नानक बेअंत गुसाई ॥
Kaho Nānak be▫anṯ gusā▫ī.
Says Nanak, Lord Gosayee is infinite.

ਆਦਿ ਮਧਿ ਅੰਤਿ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਸੋਈ ਹਾਥਿ ਤਿਸੈ ਕੈ ਨੇਬੇੜਾ ॥੧੫॥
आदि मधि अंति प्रभु सोई हाथि तिसै कै नेबेड़ा ॥१५॥
Āḏ maḏẖ anṯ parabẖ so▫ī hāth ṯisai kai nebeṛā. ||15||
In the beginning, in the middle and in the end, God exists. judgment is in His Hands alone. ||15||

ਤਿਸਹਿ ਸਰੀਕੁ ਨਾਹੀ ਰੇ ਕੋਈ ॥
तिसहि सरीकु नाही रे कोई ॥
Ŧisėh sarīk nāhī re ko▫ī.
No one is equal to Him.

ਕਿਸ ਹੀ ਬੁਤੈ ਜਬਾਬੁ ਨ ਹੋਈ ॥
किस ही बुतै जबाबु न होई ॥
Kis hī buṯai jabāb na ho▫ī.
No one can stand up against Him by any means.

ਨਾਨਕ ਕਾ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਆਪੇ ਆਪੇ ਕਰਿ ਕਰਿ ਵੇਖੈ ਚੋਜ ਖੜਾ ॥੧੬॥੧॥੧੦॥
नानक का प्रभु आपे आपे करि करि वेखै चोज खड़ा ॥१६॥१॥१०॥
Nānak kā parabẖ āpe āpe kar kar vekẖai cẖoj kẖaṛā. ||16||1||10||
Nanak's God is Himself all-in-all. He creates and stages and watches His wondrous plays. ||16||1||10||

ਮਾਰੂ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ॥
मारू महला ५ ॥
Mārū mėhlā 5.
Maaroo, Fifth Mehl:

ਅਚੁਤ ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਪਰਮੇਸੁਰ ਅੰਤਰਜਾਮੀ ॥
अचुत पारब्रहम परमेसुर अंतरजामी ॥
Acẖuṯ pārbarahm parmesur anṯarjāmī.
Achyuth is imperishable, Parabrahman, Parameshwar and Antaryaami.

ਮਧੁਸੂਦਨ ਦਾਮੋਦਰ ਸੁਆਮੀ ॥
मधुसूदन दामोदर सुआमी ॥
Maḏẖusūḏan ḏāmoḏar su▫āmī.
He is Madhusudhan, our Supreme Lord and Master Damodhar.

ਰਿਖੀਕੇਸ ਗੋਵਰਧਨ ਧਾਰੀ ਮੁਰਲੀ ਮਨੋਹਰ ਹਰਿ ਰੰਗਾ ॥੧॥
रिखीकेस गोवरधन धारी मुरली मनोहर हरि रंगा ॥१॥
Rikẖīkes govarḏẖan ḏẖārī murlī manohar har rangā. ||1||
Hrishikesh, The Supreme Rishi, the uplifter of Govardhan, the joyful Lord Monohar Hari playing His enticing flute. ||1||

ਮੋਹਨ ਮਾਧਵ ਕ੍ਰਿਸ੍ਨ ਮੁਰਾਰੇ ॥
मोहन माधव क्रिस्न मुरारे ॥
Mohan māḏẖav krisan murāre.
Mohan, the Enticer of Hearts , Madhav, Krishna, abd Murari, the Enemy of ego.

ਜਗਦੀਸੁਰ ਹਰਿ ਜੀਉ ਅਸੁਰ ਸੰਘਾਰੇ ॥
जगदीसुर हरि जीउ असुर संघारे ॥
Jagḏīsur har jī▫o asur sangẖāre.
Jagdish the Lord of the Universe, Hari, the Dear Lord, the Destroyer of demons.

ਜਗਜੀਵਨ ਅਬਿਨਾਸੀ ਠਾਕੁਰ ਘਟ ਘਟ ਵਾਸੀ ਹੈ ਸੰਗਾ ॥੨॥
जगजीवन अबिनासी ठाकुर घट घट वासी है संगा ॥२॥
Jagjīvan abẖināsī ṯẖākur gẖat gẖat vāsī hai sangā. ||2||
The Life of the World, our eternal and ever-stable Lord and Master dwells within each and every heart, and is always with us. ||2||

ਧਰਣੀਧਰ ਈਸ ਨਰਸਿੰਘ ਨਾਰਾਇਣ ॥
धरणीधर ईस नरसिंघ नाराइण ॥
Ḏẖarṇīḏẖar īs narsingẖ nārā▫iṇ.
Dharnidhar, the Supporter of the Earth, Narsingh, the man-lion and Narayan, the Supreme Lord God.

ਦਾੜਾ ਅਗ੍ਰੇ ਪ੍ਰਿਥਮਿ ਧਰਾਇਣ ॥
दाड़ा अग्रे प्रिथमि धराइण ॥
Ḏāṛā agre paritham ḏẖarā▫iṇ.
The Protector who tears apart demons with His teeth, the Upholder of the earth.

ਬਾਵਨ ਰੂਪੁ ਕੀਆ ਤੁਧੁ ਕਰਤੇ ਸਭ ਹੀ ਸੇਤੀ ਹੈ ਚੰਗਾ ॥੩॥
बावन रूपु कीआ तुधु करते सभ ही सेती है चंगा ॥३॥
Bāvan rūp kī▫ā ṯuḏẖ karṯe sabẖ hī seṯī hai cẖanga. ||3||
O Creator, You assumed the form of the pygmy to humble the demons; You are the Lord God of all. ||3||

स्री रामचंद जिसु रूपु न रेखिआ ॥
Sarī rāmcẖanḏ jis rūp na rekẖ▫i▫ā.

बनवाली चक्रपाणि दरसि अनूपिआ ॥
Banvālī cẖakarpāṇ ḏaras anūpi▫ā.
Adorned with flowers, holding the chakra in Your hand, Your form is incomparably beautiful.

सहस नेत्र मूरति है सहसा इकु दाता सभ है मंगा ॥४॥
Sahas neṯar mūraṯ hai sahsā ik ḏāṯā sabẖ hai mangā. ||4||
You have thousands of eyes, and thousands of forms. You alone are the Giver, and all are beggars of You. ||4||

ਭਗਤਿ ਵਛਲੁ ਅਨਾਥਹ ਨਾਥੇ ॥
भगति वछलु अनाथह नाथे ॥
Bẖagaṯ vacẖẖal anāthah nāthe.
You are Bhktavtsal (Bhagtvachhal), the Lover of Your devotees, the Master of the masterless.

ਗੋਪੀ ਨਾਥੁ ਸਗਲ ਹੈ ਸਾਥੇ ॥
गोपी नाथु सगल है साथे ॥
Gopī nāth sagal hai sāthe.
Gopinaath, The Lord and Master of the milk-maids, You are the companion of all.

बासुदेव निरंजन दाते बरनि न साकउ गुण अंगा ॥५॥
Bāsuḏev niranjan ḏāṯe baran na sāka▫o guṇ angā. ||5||
O Basudev, Immaculate Great Giver, I cannot describe even an iota of Your Glorious Virtues. ||5||

मुकंद मनोहर लखमी नाराइण ॥
Mukanḏ manohar lakẖmī nārā▫iṇ.
Mukund, Liberator, Manohar, Enticing Lord and Lakshmi Narain, Lord of Lakshmi, Supreme Lord God.

द्रोपती लजा निवारि उधारण ॥
Ḏaropaṯī lajā nivār uḏẖāraṇ.

कमलाकंत करहि कंतूहल अनद बिनोदी निहसंगा ॥६॥
Kamlākanṯ karahi kanṯūhal anaḏ binoḏī nihsangā. ||6||
Kamalakant, Lord of Lakshmi, miracle-worker, absorbed in delightful play, unattached. ||6||

ਅਮੋਘ ਦਰਸਨ ਆਜੂਨੀ ਸੰਭਉ ॥
अमोघ दरसन आजूनी स्मभउ ॥
Amogẖ ḏarsan ājūnī sambẖa▫o.
The Blessed Vision of His Darshan is fruitful and rewarding; He is not born, He is self-existent.

अकाल मूरति जिसु कदे नाही खउ ॥
Akāl mūraṯ jis kaḏe nāhī kẖa▫o.

अबिनासी अबिगत अगोचर सभु किछु तुझ ही है लगा ॥७॥
Abẖināsī abigaṯ agocẖar sabẖ kicẖẖ ṯujẖ hī hai lagā. ||7||
O Avinashi, imperishable, Abigat, eternal, Agochar, unfathomable Lord, everything is attached to You. ||7||

ਸ੍ਰੀਰੰਗ ਬੈਕੁੰਠ ਕੇ ਵਾਸੀ ॥
स्रीरंग बैकुंठ के वासी ॥
Sarīrang baikunṯẖ ke vāsī.
Shriranga, The Lover of greatness, who dwells in Vaikunta.

ਮਛੁ ਕਛੁ ਕੂਰਮੁ ਆਗਿਆ ਅਉਤਰਾਸੀ ॥
मछु कछु कूरमु आगिआ अउतरासी ॥
Macẖẖ kacẖẖ kūram āgi▫ā a▫uṯrāsī.
By the Pleasure of His Will, He took incarnation as the great fish and the tortoise.

ਕੇਸਵ ਚਲਤ ਕਰਹਿ ਨਿਰਾਲੇ ਕੀਤਾ ਲੋੜਹਿ ਸੋ ਹੋਇਗਾ ॥੮॥
केसव चलत करहि निराले कीता लोड़हि सो होइगा ॥८॥
Kesav cẖalaṯ karahi nirāle kīṯā loṛėh so ho▫igā. ||8||
Keshav, the Lord of beauteous hair, the Worker of miraculous deeds, whatever He wishes, comes to pass. ||8||

ਨਿਰਾਹਾਰੀ ਨਿਰਵੈਰੁ ਸਮਾਇਆ ॥
निराहारी निरवैरु समाइआ ॥
Nirāhārī nirvair samā▫i▫ā.
He is beyond need of any sustenance, free of hate and all-pervading.

ਧਾਰਿ ਖੇਲੁ ਚਤੁਰਭੁਜੁ ਕਹਾਇਆ ॥
धारि खेलु चतुरभुजु कहाइआ ॥
Ḏẖār kẖel cẖaṯurbẖuj kahā▫i▫ā.
He has staged His play; He is called the four-armed Lord (Chaturbhuja).

ਸਾਵਲ ਸੁੰਦਰ ਰੂਪ ਬਣਾਵਹਿ ਬੇਣੁ ਸੁਨਤ ਸਭ ਮੋਹੈਗਾ ॥੯॥
सावल सुंदर रूप बणावहि बेणु सुनत सभ मोहैगा ॥९॥
Sāval sunḏar rūp baṇāvėh beṇ sunaṯ sabẖ mohaigā. ||9||
He is the beautiful blue-skinned Krishna; hearing His flute, all are fascinated and enticed. ||9||

ਬਨਮਾਲਾ ਬਿਭੂਖਨ ਕਮਲ ਨੈਨ ॥
बनमाला बिभूखन कमल नैन ॥
Banmālā bibẖūkẖan kamal nain.
He is adorned with garlands of flowers, with lotus eyes (Kamal Nayan).

ਸੁੰਦਰ ਕੁੰਡਲ ਮੁਕਟ ਬੈਨ ॥
सुंदर कुंडल मुकट बैन ॥
Sunḏar kundal mukat bain.
His ear-rings, crown and flute are so beautiful.

ਸੰਖ ਚਕ੍ਰ ਗਦਾ ਹੈ ਧਾਰੀ ਮਹਾ ਸਾਰਥੀ ਸਤਸੰਗਾ ॥੧੦॥
संख चक्र गदा है धारी महा सारथी सतसंगा ॥१०॥
Sankẖ cẖakar gaḏā hai ḏẖārī mahā sārthī saṯsangā. ||10||
He carries the conch, the chakra and the war club; He is the Great Charioteer, who stays with His Saints. ||10||

ਪੀਤ ਪੀਤੰਬਰ ਤ੍ਰਿਭਵਣ ਧਣੀ ॥
पीत पीत्मबर त्रिभवण धणी ॥
Pīṯ pīṯambar ṯaribẖavaṇ ḏẖaṇī.
The Lord of yellow robes, the Master of the three worlds.

जगंनाथु गोपालु मुखि भणी ॥
Jagannāth gopāl mukẖ bẖaṇī.
Jagannath, the Lord of the Universe, Gopal, the protector of cows; with my mouth, I chant His Name.

ਸਾਰਿੰਗਧਰ ਭਗਵਾਨ ਬੀਠੁਲਾ ਮੈ ਗਣਤ ਨ ਆਵੈ ਸਰਬੰਗਾ ॥੧੧॥
सारिंगधर भगवान बीठुला मै गणत न आवै सरबंगा ॥११॥
Sāringḏẖar bẖagvān bīṯẖulā mai gaṇaṯ na āvai sarbangā. ||11||
Saringdhar, the bearer of Saranga bow, the Beloved Lord God; I cannot count all His limbs. ||11||

ਨਿਹਕੰਟਕੁ ਨਿਹਕੇਵਲੁ ਕਹੀਐ ॥
निहकंटकु निहकेवलु कहीऐ ॥
Nihkantak nihkeval kahī▫ai.
He is said to be free of anguish, and absolutely immaculate.

ਧਨੰਜੈ ਜਲਿ ਥਲਿ ਹੈ ਮਹੀਐ ॥
धनंजै जलि थलि है महीऐ ॥
Ḏẖananjai jal thal hai mahī▫ai.
Dhananjai, the Victor of Wealth, pervading the water, the land and the sky.

kv_rangan
19 January 2011, 07:36 AM
Here are some more ,

ਆਪੇ ਸਿਵ ਵਰਤਾਈਅਨੁ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਆਪੇ ਸੀਤਲੁ ਠਾਰੁ ਗੜਾ ॥੧੩॥
आपे सिव वरताईअनु अंतरि आपे सीतलु ठारु गड़ा ॥१३॥
Āpe siv varṯā▫ī▫an anṯar āpe sīṯal ṯẖār gaṛā. ||13||
You are Shiva; You are cool and icy calm. ||13||

ਤਿਸ ਹੀ ਸੁਖੁ ਤਿਸ ਹੀ ਠਕੁਰਾਈ ਤਿਸਹਿ ਨ ਆਵੈ ਜਮੁ ਨੇੜਾ ॥੧੪॥
तिस ही सुखु तिस ही ठकुराई तिसहि न आवै जमु नेड़ा ॥१४॥
Ŧis hī sukẖ ṯis hī ṯẖakurā▫ī ṯisėh na āvai jam neṛā. ||14||
He is peaceful, and he is the master of all; the Messenger of Death does not even approach him. ||14||

ਕੀਮਤਿ ਕਾਗਦ ਕਹੀ ਨ ਜਾਈ ॥
कीमति कागद कही न जाई ॥
Kīmaṯ kāgaḏ kahī na jā▫ī.
His value cannot be described on paper.
ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਬੇਅੰਤ ਗੁਸਾਈ ॥
कहु नानक बेअंत गुसाई ॥
Kaho Nānak be▫anṯ gusā▫ī.
Says Nanak, Lord Gosayee is infinite.

ਆਦਿ ਮਧਿ ਅੰਤਿ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਸੋਈ ਹਾਥਿ ਤਿਸੈ ਕੈ ਨੇਬੇੜਾ ॥੧੫॥
आदि मधि अंति प्रभु सोई हाथि तिसै कै नेबेड़ा ॥१५॥
Āḏ maḏẖ anṯ parabẖ so▫ī hāth ṯisai kai nebeṛā. ||15||
In the beginning, in the middle and in the end, God exists. judgment is in His Hands alone. ||15||

ਤਿਸਹਿ ਸਰੀਕੁ ਨਾਹੀ ਰੇ ਕੋਈ ॥
तिसहि सरीकु नाही रे कोई ॥
Ŧisėh sarīk nāhī re ko▫ī.
No one is equal to Him.

ਕਿਸ ਹੀ ਬੁਤੈ ਜਬਾਬੁ ਨ ਹੋਈ ॥
किस ही बुतै जबाबु न होई ॥
Kis hī buṯai jabāb na ho▫ī.
No one can stand up against Him by any means.

ਨਾਨਕ ਕਾ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਆਪੇ ਆਪੇ ਕਰਿ ਕਰਿ ਵੇਖੈ ਚੋਜ ਖੜਾ ॥੧੬॥੧॥੧੦॥
नानक का प्रभु आपे आपे करि करि वेखै चोज खड़ा ॥१६॥१॥१०॥
Nānak kā parabẖ āpe āpe kar kar vekẖai cẖoj kẖaṛā. ||16||1||10||
Nanak's God is Himself all-in-all. He creates and stages and watches His wondrous plays. ||16||1||10||

ਮਾਰੂ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ॥
मारू महला ५ ॥
Mārū mėhlā 5.
Maaroo, Fifth Mehl:

ਅਚੁਤ ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਪਰਮੇਸੁਰ ਅੰਤਰਜਾਮੀ ॥
अचुत पारब्रहम परमेसुर अंतरजामी ॥
Acẖuṯ pārbarahm parmesur anṯarjāmī.
Achyuth is imperishable, Parabrahman, Parameshwar and Antaryaami.

ਮਧੁਸੂਦਨ ਦਾਮੋਦਰ ਸੁਆਮੀ ॥
मधुसूदन दामोदर सुआमी ॥
Maḏẖusūḏan ḏāmoḏar su▫āmī.
He is Madhusudhan, our Supreme Lord and Master Damodhar.

ਰਿਖੀਕੇਸ ਗੋਵਰਧਨ ਧਾਰੀ ਮੁਰਲੀ ਮਨੋਹਰ ਹਰਿ ਰੰਗਾ ॥੧॥
रिखीकेस गोवरधन धारी मुरली मनोहर हरि रंगा ॥१॥
Rikẖīkes govarḏẖan ḏẖārī murlī manohar har rangā. ||1||
Hrishikesh, The Supreme Rishi, the uplifter of Govardhan, the joyful Lord Monohar Hari playing His enticing flute. ||1||

ਮੋਹਨ ਮਾਧਵ ਕ੍ਰਿਸ੍ਨ ਮੁਰਾਰੇ ॥
मोहन माधव क्रिस्न मुरारे ॥
Mohan māḏẖav krisan murāre.
Mohan, the Enticer of Hearts , Madhav, Krishna, abd Murari, the Enemy of ego.

ਜਗਦੀਸੁਰ ਹਰਿ ਜੀਉ ਅਸੁਰ ਸੰਘਾਰੇ ॥
जगदीसुर हरि जीउ असुर संघारे ॥
Jagḏīsur har jī▫o asur sangẖāre.
Jagdish the Lord of the Universe, Hari, the Dear Lord, the Destroyer of demons.

ਜਗਜੀਵਨ ਅਬਿਨਾਸੀ ਠਾਕੁਰ ਘਟ ਘਟ ਵਾਸੀ ਹੈ ਸੰਗਾ ॥੨॥
जगजीवन अबिनासी ठाकुर घट घट वासी है संगा ॥२॥
Jagjīvan abẖināsī ṯẖākur gẖat gẖat vāsī hai sangā. ||2||
The Life of the World, our eternal and ever-stable Lord and Master dwells within each and every heart, and is always with us. ||2||

ਧਰਣੀਧਰ ਈਸ ਨਰਸਿੰਘ ਨਾਰਾਇਣ ॥
धरणीधर ईस नरसिंघ नाराइण ॥
Ḏẖarṇīḏẖar īs narsingẖ nārā▫iṇ.
Dharnidhar, the Supporter of the Earth, Narsingh, the man-lion and Narayan, the Supreme Lord God.

ਦਾੜਾ ਅਗ੍ਰੇ ਪ੍ਰਿਥਮਿ ਧਰਾਇਣ ॥
दाड़ा अग्रे प्रिथमि धराइण ॥
Ḏāṛā agre paritham ḏẖarā▫iṇ.
The Protector who tears apart demons with His teeth, the Upholder of the earth.

ਬਾਵਨ ਰੂਪੁ ਕੀਆ ਤੁਧੁ ਕਰਤੇ ਸਭ ਹੀ ਸੇਤੀ ਹੈ ਚੰਗਾ ॥੩॥
बावन रूपु कीआ तुधु करते सभ ही सेती है चंगा ॥३॥
Bāvan rūp kī▫ā ṯuḏẖ karṯe sabẖ hī seṯī hai cẖanga. ||3||
O Creator, You assumed the form of the pygmy to humble the demons; You are the Lord God of all. ||3||

स्री रामचंद जिसु रूपु न रेखिआ ॥
Sarī rāmcẖanḏ jis rūp na rekẖ▫i▫ā.

बनवाली चक्रपाणि दरसि अनूपिआ ॥
Banvālī cẖakarpāṇ ḏaras anūpi▫ā.

सहस नेत्र मूरति है सहसा इकु दाता सभ है मंगा ॥४॥
Sahas neṯar mūraṯ hai sahsā ik ḏāṯā sabẖ hai mangā. ||4||

ਭਗਤਿ ਵਛਲੁ ਅਨਾਥਹ ਨਾਥੇ ॥
भगति वछलु अनाथह नाथे ॥
Bẖagaṯ vacẖẖal anāthah nāthe.
You are Bhktavtsal (Bhagtvachhal), the Lover of Your devotees, the Master of the masterless.

ਗੋਪੀ ਨਾਥੁ ਸਗਲ ਹੈ ਸਾਥੇ ॥
गोपी नाथु सगल है साथे ॥
Gopī nāth sagal hai sāthe.
Gopinaath, The Lord and Master of the milk-maids, You are the companion of all.

बासुदेव निरंजन दाते बरनि न साकउ गुण अंगा ॥५॥
Bāsuḏev niranjan ḏāṯe baran na sāka▫o guṇ angā. ||5||
O Basudev, Immaculate Great Giver, I cannot describe even an iota of Your Glorious Virtues. ||5||

मुकंद मनोहर लखमी नाराइण ॥
Mukanḏ manohar lakẖmī nārā▫iṇ.
Mukund, Liberator, Manohar, Enticing Lord and Lakshmi Narain, Lord of Lakshmi, Supreme Lord God.

द्रोपती लजा निवारि उधारण ॥
Ḏaropaṯī lajā nivār uḏẖāraṇ.

कमलाकंत करहि कंतूहल अनद बिनोदी निहसंगा ॥६॥
Kamlākanṯ karahi kanṯūhal anaḏ binoḏī nihsangā. ||6||
Kamalakant, Lord of Lakshmi, miracle-worker, absorbed in delightful play, unattached. ||6||

ਅਮੋਘ ਦਰਸਨ ਆਜੂਨੀ ਸੰਭਉ ॥
अमोघ दरसन आजूनी स्मभउ ॥
Amogẖ ḏarsan ājūnī sambẖa▫o.

अकाल मूरति जिसु कदे नाही खउ ॥
Akāl mūraṯ jis kaḏe nāhī kẖa▫o.

अबिनासी अबिगत अगोचर सभु किछु तुझ ही है लगा ॥७॥
Abẖināsī abigaṯ agocẖar sabẖ kicẖẖ ṯujẖ hī hai lagā. ||7||
O Avinashi, imperishable, Abigat, eternal, Agochar, unfathomable Lord, everything is attached to You. ||7||

ਸ੍ਰੀਰੰਗ ਬੈਕੁੰਠ ਕੇ ਵਾਸੀ ॥
स्रीरंग बैकुंठ के वासी ॥
Sarīrang baikunṯẖ ke vāsī.
Shriranga, The Lover of greatness, who dwells in Vaikunta.

ਮਛੁ ਕਛੁ ਕੂਰਮੁ ਆਗਿਆ ਅਉਤਰਾਸੀ ॥
मछु कछु कूरमु आगिआ अउतरासी ॥
Macẖẖ kacẖẖ kūram āgi▫ā a▫uṯrāsī.
By the Pleasure of His Will, He took incarnation as the great fish and the tortoise.

ਕੇਸਵ ਚਲਤ ਕਰਹਿ ਨਿਰਾਲੇ ਕੀਤਾ ਲੋੜਹਿ ਸੋ ਹੋਇਗਾ ॥੮॥
केसव चलत करहि निराले कीता लोड़हि सो होइगा ॥८॥
Kesav cẖalaṯ karahi nirāle kīṯā loṛėh so ho▫igā. ||8||
Keshav, the Lord of beauteous hair, the Worker of miraculous deeds, whatever He wishes, comes to pass. ||8||

ਨਿਰਾਹਾਰੀ ਨਿਰਵੈਰੁ ਸਮਾਇਆ ॥
निराहारी निरवैरु समाइआ ॥
Nirāhārī nirvair samā▫i▫ā.
He is beyond need of any sustenance, free of hate and all-pervading.

ਧਾਰਿ ਖੇਲੁ ਚਤੁਰਭੁਜੁ ਕਹਾਇਆ ॥
धारि खेलु चतुरभुजु कहाइआ ॥
Ḏẖār kẖel cẖaṯurbẖuj kahā▫i▫ā.
He has staged His play; He is called the four-armed Lord (Chaturbhuja).

ਸਾਵਲ ਸੁੰਦਰ ਰੂਪ ਬਣਾਵਹਿ ਬੇਣੁ ਸੁਨਤ ਸਭ ਮੋਹੈਗਾ ॥੯॥
सावल सुंदर रूप बणावहि बेणु सुनत सभ मोहैगा ॥९॥
Sāval sunḏar rūp baṇāvėh beṇ sunaṯ sabẖ mohaigā. ||9||
He is the beautiful blue-skinned Krishna; hearing His flute, all are fascinated and enticed. ||9||

ਬਨਮਾਲਾ ਬਿਭੂਖਨ ਕਮਲ ਨੈਨ ॥
बनमाला बिभूखन कमल नैन ॥
Banmālā bibẖūkẖan kamal nain.
He is adorned with garlands of flowers, with lotus eyes (Kamal Nayan).

ਸੁੰਦਰ ਕੁੰਡਲ ਮੁਕਟ ਬੈਨ ॥
सुंदर कुंडल मुकट बैन ॥
Sunḏar kundal mukat bain.
His ear-rings, crown and flute are so beautiful.

ਸੰਖ ਚਕ੍ਰ ਗਦਾ ਹੈ ਧਾਰੀ ਮਹਾ ਸਾਰਥੀ ਸਤਸੰਗਾ ॥੧੦॥
संख चक्र गदा है धारी महा सारथी सतसंगा ॥१०॥
Sankẖ cẖakar gaḏā hai ḏẖārī mahā sārthī saṯsangā. ||10||
He carries the conch, the chakra and the war club; He is the Great Charioteer, who stays with His Saints. ||10||

ਪੀਤ ਪੀਤੰਬਰ ਤ੍ਰਿਭਵਣ ਧਣੀ ॥
पीत पीत्मबर त्रिभवण धणी ॥
Pīṯ pīṯambar ṯaribẖavaṇ ḏẖaṇī.
The Lord of yellow robes, the Master of the three worlds.

जगंनाथु गोपालु मुखि भणी ॥
Jagannāth gopāl mukẖ bẖaṇī.
Jagannath, the Lord of the Universe, Gopal, the protector of cows; with my mouth, I chant His Name.

ਸਾਰਿੰਗਧਰ ਭਗਵਾਨ ਬੀਠੁਲਾ ਮੈ ਗਣਤ ਨ ਆਵੈ ਸਰਬੰਗਾ ॥੧੧॥
सारिंगधर भगवान बीठुला मै गणत न आवै सरबंगा ॥११॥
Sāringḏẖar bẖagvān bīṯẖulā mai gaṇaṯ na āvai sarbangā. ||11||
Saringdhar, the bearer of Saranga bow, the Beloved Lord God; I cannot count all His limbs. ||11||

ਨਿਹਕੰਟਕੁ ਨਿਹਕੇਵਲੁ ਕਹੀਐ ॥
निहकंटकु निहकेवलु कहीऐ ॥
Nihkantak nihkeval kahī▫ai.
He is said to be free of anguish, and absolutely immaculate.

ਧਨੰਜੈ ਜਲਿ ਥਲਿ ਹੈ ਮਹੀਐ ॥
धनंजै जलि थलि है महीऐ ॥
Ḏẖananjai jal thal hai mahī▫ai.
Dhananjai, the Victor of Wealth, pervading the water, the land and the sky.

kv_rangan
19 January 2011, 07:49 AM
Of course the Sikhs were very combative against the British but till World War I they were loyal to british and many members of the Royal Army were the Khlasa Sikhs. Their contribution to the Freedom struggle had been the greatest given the high proportion of Sikhs among the martyrs. However, most of these fell during the Jallianwala Bagh shooting in Amritsar (1919), started as a peaceful gathering of people who had no intention of giving up their lives (the responsible officer was removed from his post, for the useless and unprovoked massacre totally deviated from British policy).

The proportion of Sikhs who chose to wage their lives for Freedom was quite small; the one community which was heavily “overrepresented” among the freedom fighters executed or otherwise punished by the British was the much-maligned Brahmin caste [According to Meenakshi Jain (“The Plight of Brahmins”, Indian Express, 18-9-1990, included in H.P. Lohia, ed.: Political Vandalism, p.56), Brahmins constituted 70% of the freedom fighters executed by the British; any list of pre-Independence Congress office-bearers confirms that among non-violent freedom fighters too, Brahmins, from B.G. Tilak and G.K. Gokhale to C. Rajagopalachari, were enormously over-represented. The Brahmin initiative in Hindu nationalism (Savarkar, Hedgewar) is also part of this phenomenon.]

It is a well-attested historical fact that the Sikh community as such was firmly loyalist (see Kushwant Singh's Sikh identity and the British) , even after the emotional estrangement from the British which followed the Jallianwala Bagh massacre.

Rationalist
15 February 2011, 06:03 PM
Yes, I think Sikhism is a separate religion. Just set aside the semantics and let them be. Who are we to decide the status of another ideology? If we do so, we are no better than the demon spawn running our world in this Kali Yuga.

mohanty
15 February 2011, 10:53 PM
Philosophical differences aside, Sikhism (like Buddhism and Jainism) is an Indic way of life. This separates it, at least by way of labelling, from the ones whom are labelled Hindu.

Having said that, there is an unmistakable streak of common thought that runs through all Indic systems of thought. Sikhism is no exception.

Politically, this sort of differentiation is only detrimental to India. We already have a legal code that differentiates between people from different religious communities. Tjis tendency catching on can not be good news. The Khalistan movement is one example of separatism that came up in recent times. Pakistan was a successful secessionist movement.

The logic runs like this: India is for Hindus. Sikhs, therefore are a religious minority. They can't trust Hindus for their well-being. They need a separate land of their own. This paranoid streak is not Indic at all. It is a product of the separatist mentality that invaders brought to India and it can only hurt Bharata.

jasdir
16 February 2011, 07:06 AM

Bhai Gurdas Vara is a scripture of the Sikhs given authority by the 5th Guru, Guru Arjan Dev Ji Maharaj himself. It is known as the "key to Guru Granth Sahib Ji", as it helps us to understand the philosophy of Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

Many people believe that Guru Nanak Dev Ji did not start a new religion, this is incorrect, Bhai Gurdas Vara confirm this:

ਮਾਰਿਆ ਸਿਕਾ ਜਗਤਿ ਵਿਚਿ ਨਾਨਕ ਨਿਰਮਲ ਪੰਥੁ ਚਲਾਇਆ ।
maariaa sikaa jagati vichi naanak niramal pandu chalaaiaa|
In the world, he (Guru Nanak Dev Ji) established the authority (of his doctrines) and started a religion, devoid of any impurity.

Similarly, Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaj was also asked about his path:

First there were Hindus and Muslims, take note, there are three now. (GurPartapSurya)

On his way towards Deccan, Guru Gobind Singh reached Pushkar .The discussion that took place there is recorded this way in Surya Prakash.
Brahmins, Merchants and others came with Pandit Chaitin. Having made salutation they sat down in the assembly and asked, “What is their Caste? How we recognize them. Your companions wear unshorn hair, what we can say is their Caste? There are many new garbs, but none of them is Hindu or Moslem.” Having heard that Guru replied, “Khalsa is the third Panth in the world. It is distinct from Hindus and Moslems. They are servants of the Eternal, Immortal.” When Guru Gobind Singh met the Emperor Bahadur Shah, this discussion transpired. Bahadur Shah said, “There are two religions, Hindus and Moslems, What appeals to you? On what you have faith, Hinduism or Islam?” To that Guru Gobind Singh replied, "Hindu, Moslems whatever way they follow we wish them both well. The Moslems preach fasting; prayer call and five prayers are supreme for them. Hindus perform Sandhya, adoration and rites of stone Gods, and such others are acceptable to Hindus. We consider both the same way abandoning all others; we have established the Khalsa as the third (religion). Without distinction we abandon all else and seek the shelter of the Eternal, the Purusha." (Gur Pratap Surya)

"Panth" is not ment by "Religion"
"Panth" is ment by "Teachings for Religion"

And

"Religion" means Reunion with the begaining, or from where we started the journey of life, or the nick name is "God".

Yes, Nanak started the new "Panth" means he started the true spiritual teachings, But not a different "Religion" or "Caste".

:) _/\_Jasdir.

mohanty
16 February 2011, 08:12 AM
"Panth" is not ment by "Religion"
"Panth" is ment by "Teachings for Religion"

And

"Religion" means Reunion with the begaining, or from where we started the journey of life, or the nick name is "God".

Yes, Nanak started the new "Panth" means he started the true spiritual teachings, But not a different "Religion" or "Caste".

:) _/\_Jasdir.

Well said Jasdir!

Kumar_Das
16 February 2011, 11:38 AM
Hindus are not bent on amalgamating Sikhs into the Hindu umbrella. Hindus just naturally include all other Dharmic religions into Hinduism because for what is worth atleast they all share the same base and only some minor differences. Hindus see Jainism, Buddhism and Sikhism as types of Hinduism within the diverse Hindu religion.

- Jainism is a native Indian, peaceful, non-theistic yet in all other ways imaginable spiritually Hindu religion.

- Buddhism, especially the popular "Eastern" Buddhism of today is simply a form of Hinduism tailored for the Orientals.

- Sikhism is a pantheistic-monistic-monotheistic reformed school of Hinduism that has a strong mystical touch. Sikhism differs from mainstream Hinduism in the sense that it has Sufi style poetic influence and a modern character, a character that was shaped by the struggles its adherents underwent in the region of its establishment in fighting to defend the innocent.

In the state of Punjab where Sikhs are concentrated. Hindus and Sikhs live together as though they are brothers of one family. You won't even know that a male is a Sikh, if they don't wear a turban and are shaved. Because you will find a Sikh praying at a Hindu temple, attending Sikh/Hindu festivals and hanging out at his Hindu friend's or neighbour's house like as though he is a member of the family. A Sikh or a Hindu will look upon his Hindu or Sikh friend's sister as his own sister. And his friend's parents will entrust him their daughter to be protected of as though a real brother would.

Things Muslims will never understand... :rolleyes:

dogra
23 February 2011, 03:17 PM
Yes, I think Sikhism is a separate religion. Just set aside the semantics and let them be. Who are we to decide the status of another ideology

Exactly.
India has accepted different religions and none over thousands of years.

India is a secular state, though with problems, but it is on the right path, hence can accept differences in ideologies, and get along as fellow human beings

PARAM
24 February 2011, 08:58 AM
May be a Religion but not separate Dharma
Hinduism is the only Dharma

Guru Gobind Singh ji Himself said in His autobiography - Vichitra Natak,
His devotional songs - Chandi DI Var, and
Letters to Islamic Fundamentalism - Zafarnama.

Anti Hindus are always out to make differences between various sects of Hinduism to weak Dharma. We should avoid Adharmic teachings.