PDA

View Full Version : My Indian name

c.smith
21 June 2006, 08:07 PM
Namaste-

I just consulted with an Indian astrologer to discuss which name would be best for me given my desire to acquire an Indian name. I've looked on a few sites to find the meaning of each name (first/middle/last) and am especially happy with the result.

My question is - since my Indian first name (Tarakeshwar) seems to not be very common, would one use his middle name that is easier to pronounce for social purposes or is it best just to use my first name? Is there a shorter version that I could use?

Also, if anyone has any more information on its meaning (I'm told that it means "Of Siva"), please feel free to comment.

ramkish42
22 June 2006, 08:31 AM
My question is - since my Indian first name (Tarakeshwar) seems to not be very common, would one use his middle name that is easier to pronounce for social purposes or is it best just to use my first name? Is there a shorter version that I could use?

People can call you Taarak

satay
22 June 2006, 09:41 AM
People can call you Taarak

Taarak sounds like a muslim name...nothing wrong with that but the name given to c.smith is
Tara+keshwar.

I don't think there is any need to change this name ....it is easy enough to say, non hindus just need to practice it a bit that's all.

c.smith, yes, most indians have middle names one of the common ones is 'kumar' so your name could be Tarakeshwar Kumar + last name and people can call you kumar but I love the name trakeshwar. or if you already have a middle name then use that for social purposes but I am of the opinion that with practice others can learn your first name too. In the end, it's up to you.

ramkish42
22 June 2006, 02:33 PM
Taarak sounds like a muslim name..

Does it? :headscratch:

nothing wrong with that but the name given to c.smith is
Tara+keshwar.

I understood it as Taaraka + Eshwara, Lord of constellations where in your understanding goes with Lord having constellation on his hair.

Both seems correct, probably Shri Sarabhanga can throw more light on this

sarabhanga
22 June 2006, 08:47 PM
Namaste,

Tārakeshvara means "Star-Lord" ~ and it particularly refers to Soma (the Moon). :)

And Tāraka [ तारक ] is certainly an auspicious name!

c.smith
17 August 2006, 01:38 PM
Thanks for all the info.

I know that this sounds so elementary, but I still need its correct pronunciation. I take it that it can be pronounced phonetically with the exception of the w (should it be pronounced as a "v"?). But, where is the emphasis put - on the "tara", "kesh" or "war". Perhaps it is "tarak" instead. Again, sorry for needing such simple help, but I don't want to go around pronouncing my own name incorrectly.

satay
17 August 2006, 04:33 PM
namaste c.smith,
if tarakeshwar were my name...I would pronounce is like this...

thraaa keshwar

sarabhanga
17 August 2006, 07:35 PM
Namaste,

Tārakeshvara = taarakeshvara (which should sound like “tarkeshwr”).

The first vowel is long, and the second vowel is short. :cool1:

satay
18 August 2006, 03:00 AM
Namaste,

Tārakeshvara = taarakeshvara (which should sound like “tarkeshwr”).

The first vowel is long, and the second vowel is short. :cool1:

I was thinking of half th sound mixed with 'rh' sound.