PDA

View Full Version : Are you a Vegetarian?

Ali
01 December 2008, 11:08 AM
My good Friend is a Hindu and he eats different kinds of meats except red meat (Cow) Is it okay to eat meat if you're a Hindu?

I know few Hindu's (We work together) and they call themselves pure vegetarian. I asked them, if you say you're pure vegetarian then why do you wear leather gloves durning winter, wear leather jackets and leather shoes? I know that when drinking milk from the cow, is like drinking the milk from your Mother. Cow is considered a Mother, so how can you wear the skin of your Mother?

reflections
01 December 2008, 11:25 AM
Namaste Ali,
Hindus need not be vegetarian. However for spiritual aspirants, vegetarianism is highly commendable. Something like 'Fardh and Wajib' :). You will see Yogis, priests in temples will be definitley vegetarian.
Vegetarianism has its roots in Ahimsa meaning Non-violence, which has got its oldest reference in yajur Veda, Chhandogya Upanishad and Patanjali Yog sutra.

Historically, strict vegetarianism in diet started with Jainism. It got accepted in Hinduism. Never the less, many Hindus have been vegetarians from generations since 3 millenias so it is a Hindu practice. And most Hindus will avoid eating meet on religious days.

Hinduism very well accepts law of nature, 'Jeevo Jeevasya Jeevanam' (One life makes life for the other.) So, we can not avoid killing in absolute terms, however, we need to minimize it as best as we can.

There are some Hindus who don't mind eating beef. I think Javanese Hindus.

I personally don't wear leather things. You will find many Hindus who don't. Basiacally, in Hinduism we are given with principles and not exact dos and don'ts. So the prinicipal is 'ahimsa'. How to implement it and upto what extent depends on individual's conscience.

Regards.

Eastern Mind
01 December 2008, 08:22 PM
I kind of don't wear leather, if its convenient. Right now I'm working in a warehouse where by company demands I need to have steel toed boots, and as far as I know there is nothing on the market to replace the leather one, which is often the essence of the problem here in the west..wallets, belts, and the like are kind of hard to find not made of leather. I think the times will change though as with the availability of vegetarian food.

Regarding vegetarianism, recently once again I have come to appreciate the fact (for me at least) that Hinduism is primarily an experential religion. A colleague, after listening to some discussion on a healthy diet, decided last week, to do his personal experiment..become a vegetarian for a week, and see how he felt (which was exactly what I did some 37 years ago).. well this week, he came back with at least a temporal continuation of his experiment. The discussion I'm having with him is quite interesting..BTW he's not a Hindu, but a sort of non-practising Xian.

c.smith
13 December 2008, 08:08 PM
What about the whole "vegan" thing? Yes, I do believe that cows are holy by nature, but in the west they are treated so poorly, often bread just for milk and/or meat. Would it be considered proper to drink the milk of a cow that has been brought up just for our palatal pleasure with total disregard for the cow itself? Where does true ahimsa stop?

These are the questions that pepper my mind as I contemplate the switch from vegetarianism to vegan. Please add your comments and share insights.

Om Namah Sivaya

Pretnath
30 December 2008, 06:46 AM
Namaste,

I have to say something.

There is a quote that Hinduism adopted vegiterianism from Jainism - Thats not true. Even Adi Aryans were strict vegiterians.

Some so called Historians had said that Aryans were factious characters, but after their existence was accepted by neutral historians, those so called writers dubbed Aryans as firce blood sucker, nonvegiterian, drunkyard etc etc.

We do not found a single shalok in Vedas, Upnishad or any other accepted Hindu text that flesh eating is ok, but those writers even say that eating beef is allowed in Hindu Text.

In fect Budhdhism and Jainism adopted veg. from Upnishads all their text have the teaching of Upnishads and Darshans in this regards, but in their own words.

I wonder when no sanskrit scholer has accepted the theory of nonvegiterism in hindu text is accepted so easily. If somebody is nonvegiterian, it is their personal choice, Hinduism should not be defamed for this.:o

If somebody wants any discussian in this regard they should prove it with the support of sanskrit scholars or should learn sanskrit themselves to prove the point.

devisarada
19 January 2009, 04:46 PM
What about the whole "vegan" thing? Yes, I do believe that cows are holy by nature, but in the west they are treated so poorly, often bread just for milk and/or meat. Would it be considered proper to drink the milk of a cow that has been brought up just for our palatal pleasure with total disregard for the cow itself? Where does true ahimsa stop?

These are the questions that pepper my mind as I contemplate the switch from vegetarianism to vegan. Please add your comments and share insights.

Om Namah Sivaya

Gandhi felt the way you do, for a time. He wrote in his book, "My Experiment with Truth" that for a time he chose to live without dairy products because of the inhumane treatment of cows. He came to the conclusion that a vegetarian must have dairy products in order to maintain a reasonable level of health. he then began eating dairy products again.

Eastern Mind
14 June 2009, 07:37 PM
Not sure where you are getting information. I'm a staunch Saivite, and a staunch vegetarian. vegetarianism is throughout Saivism and Saiva scripture. But if your ethnocentricity is what it is, then so be it.

Aum Namasivaya

OmSriShivaShakti
16 June 2009, 10:21 PM
My previous comment got deleted for some reason. But anyway, its not really ethnocentrism, its just trying to get back to the ancient roots of Hinduism which lie in practices such as meat offerings, spirit worship, animal worship, etc. and if you interpret that as ethnocentrism, that is fine with me but I just wanted to clarify my veiwpoint here. Thanks.

Om Namah Shivaya. Om Subramanya Namah. Bharati Mata Jai.

dhruva023
16 June 2009, 11:43 PM
My previous comment got deleted for some reason. But anyway, its not really ethnocentrism, its just trying to get back to the ancient roots of Hinduism which lie in practices such as meat offerings, spirit worship, animal worship, etc. and if you interpret that as ethnocentrism, that is fine with me but I just wanted to clarify my veiwpoint here. Thanks.

Backup your claim with some thing. Dont just say it.

Eastern Mind
17 June 2009, 05:56 AM

How ancient? Before writings? In the Tirukkural (an old Tamil ethical scripture written about 200 BC, there is a whole chapter titled 'Abstaining from eating meat") Perhaps what you are referring to is caveman days and then its just conjecture.

On the topic of ethnocentrism, one does not have to travel very far (i.e. - to the next village where the natives will claim it is the best village in all of India, in fact the whole world, to see it, but perhaps still not understand it.) Whether you like it or not ethnocentrism runs throughout debate such as this. For example I am totally unfamiliar with Kali worship.

Aum Namasivaya

Please lets not get into whether the sound in Namasivaya is sh, s, or ch 'correctly'.

OmSriShivaShakti
17 June 2009, 09:54 AM
Here is a video for your consideration, please watch the entire thing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm0yH9DpyzU

Eastern Mind
17 June 2009, 01:42 PM
This discussion has gone on and on here and there for a long time. If someone chooses to put corpses and cadavers into their bodies, that's fine by me. Here are a few of the reasons I choose not to.
1) I feel healthier, and stats generally back that up, especially here in the west where veggie means whole grain, organic, etc.
2) Cattle and animal raising is not good for the environment. the deforestation of Brazil for grazing is one example. The amount of methane gas put into the environment is another.
3) I practise ahimsa.
4) I grew up on a farm and butchering stunk and was visually disgusting to me. So were the animal's cries of pain.
5) I feel more religious somehow.
6) My digestive system doesn't have to work as hard.

If you want more reasons search for yourself on line. There are more. But I reiterate, that if you choose not to be vegetarian, that is your right. Its a free planet. God gave us free will too.

Aum Namasivaya

coolbodhi
17 June 2009, 02:04 PM
Why would hindus be listening to zakir, a muslim leader?

Here is a video for your consideration, please watch the entire thing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm0yH9DpyzU

Ahimsa is one of the niyamas that a hindu practices so why would a practicing hindu be eating dead meat?

Eastern Mind
17 June 2009, 04:39 PM
Actually I find the vegetarian non vegetarian argument/discussion kind of weirdly funny. Maybe I have a sick sense of humour. It's kind of like the George Bush jokes bashing him. On the one hand, I am supposed to have compassion for all ... including George yet the humour is there in his unintentional mispernunciations etc, and he seemed somehow worthy of being laughed at.

I find some of the non veg argument in the same light - preposterous, and yet at the same time have compassion for their naivete.

Since we're into videos now I guess, here is another for you on the flip side of the argument. Please do be warned that it contains scenes of animal cruelty and may be hard for committed ahimsa people (like myself) to watch. Satay, feel free to remove it if you wish. But my intent is help people with what I term the great meat disconnect. I mean that when most people eat meat they somehow forget what it actually is.

Proceed with caution.

http://www.meat.org/

Ganeshprasad
17 June 2009, 04:40 PM
Pranam

Why would hindus be listening to zakir, a muslim leader?

Indeed, unless ofcourse one is his follower.

Ahimsa is one of the niyamas that a hindu practices so why would a practicing hindu be eating dead meat?

According to Lord Krishna, a person in mode of ignorance would

And that action performed in ignorance and delusion without consideration of future bondage or consequences, which inflicts injury and is impractical, is said to be action in the mode of ignorance. 18.25BG

Jai Shree Krishna

Eastern Mind
01 July 2009, 08:20 AM
More science on the topic:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8127215.stm

Aum Namasivaya

Ekanta
01 July 2009, 12:26 PM
Yes Im a veg since I realized the two aspects of karma/ guna relating to food...

It’s not only ahimsa aspect. Food affects the mind, and meat is not exactly sattvic. By eating meat you verily take over the subtle animal tendencies.

Example:
“Of the curd [yogurt] that is being churned that which is the subtlest part rises upwards and that becomes butter. So also, of the food that is eaten that which is the subtlest part rises upwards and that becomes the mind. Of the water that is drunk that which is the subtlest part rises upwards and that becomes Prana.…Hence, mind is made up of food, Prana is made up of water.” (Chandogya Upanishad 6.6.1-3,4)

Spiritualseeker
01 July 2009, 07:53 PM
Namaste,

http://www.meat.org/ that vid was terrible.

But even if i do become vegetarian this also means i would have to throw away any cloths that were made from animal and to look for shoes not made from animal. Otherwise id be a walking hypocrite (im probably already am)

Eastern Mind
01 July 2009, 08:09 PM
Don't say I didn't post a warning about the video. I know of no cloth that is made from an animal product. (Sorry ... just remembered... wool ... but I'm not sure as the animals aren't killed, just shaved) Leather is not a cloth. Sandals , many are synthetic, and by shopping around in most western countries, you can buy vegan or vegetarian clothing. Lots of info on the net. I wear a denim belt, but must admit for work I have shoes with some leather. The job I worked at last year had rules for steel toed boots.

Best wishes in your continued exploration or the path.

Aum Namasivaya

Nondogmatic Nondualist
08 July 2009, 01:26 PM

Om Namah Sivaya
One thing that must be realised is that the cow is very important for the health and even survival of rural people in third world countries. The cow eats grass and, almost miraculously, turns it into milk, a source of sustenance with vital protein and vitamins. The cow can also be used to till the fields, and the cow provides dung, which can be used as fertilizer and burned to repel mosquitoes. Thus, in those countries, dairy products are readily available and to refrain from them would be particularly difficult for those who cannot afford or have access to vegan alternatives. That said, there are a number of cuisines in third world countries that are good for vegans, including Ethiopian food (Ethiopians eat meat less often than Westerners, and the non-meat dishes are practically all vegan).

Personally, I am a lacto-vegetarian (one who has dairy but not eggs), though I will admit that I very occasionally eat baked goods that may or may not contain eggs (if I know for a fact that something contains eggs, I will not eat it, but if not I will sometimes give the benefit of the doubt so as not to make a scene). I can understand why some people would choose to become vegan but, personally I would say that reform of the dairy industry is more feasible.

But even if i do become vegetarian this also means i would have to throw away any cloths that were made from animal and to look for shoes not made from animal. Otherwise id be a walking hypocrite (im probably already am)

Look, I don't think you have to adopt an "all or nothing" attitude towards vegetarianism. The point is that you are reducing the amount of harm you inflict upon animals; even eating meat less often is a step in the right direction. There is the danger that, if you try to go all-out and refrain from all animal products, it might prove too difficult and lead you to become frustrated with your new lifestyle. I do own some leather shoes, but I also try to keep them in the best possible condition so that I do not have to buy any replacements; I will wear them until they fall apart.

I would recommend trying to introduce vegetarian meals into your weekly meal routine. This way you can get used to eating vegetarian and be sure that you know how to cook vegetarian food or find vegetarian restaurants. Gradually, you can phase out the meat until you are no longer eating any at all. If you do want to go completely vegetarian right away, that's fine too (I did), but just make sure that you know how to feed yourself and maintain good health (I didn't at first because I was only 8 years old, but now I find eating vegetarian quite easy).

Eastern Mind
08 July 2009, 02:57 PM
Personally, I am a lacto-vegetarian (one who has dairy but not eggs), though I will admit that I very occasionally eat baked goods that may or may not contain eggs (if I know for a fact that something contains eggs, I will not eat it, but if not I will sometimes give the benefit of the doubt so as not to make a scene).

Wow. This is EXACTLY my stance. Now that we don't have carnivorous relatives to visit, the cake thing has practically disappeared.

Aum Namasivaya

TatTvamAsi
08 July 2009, 08:20 PM
Yes, I am a strict vegetarian as is my entire family.

We do eat dairy products (no eggs) and bakery items like cakes, biscuits, etc.

What I find rather, um, queer, is non-vegetarians eat all sorts of meats. Why not dogs? I know Koreans eat dogs but what about westerners? Why the sudden compassion? ;)

I have had people give me the strangest reasons as to why they won't eat dogs!

1.) "They're too cute!"
2.) "I own a dog!"
3.) "My dog is my best friend!"

So I guess I just have to find an ugly dog that I don't own and is not a friend to eat! :D

Ah, hypocrisy! :rolleyes:

kd gupta
21 October 2009, 04:56 AM
Somebody told me that the diff. bet. non-veg. and veg. is same as the diff. bet. urine and water , I dont know ,how far is it correct ?

renuka
01 November 2009, 05:32 AM
i am a pure vegetarian, not because of my Hindu beliefs but on the grounds of compassion as i understand the fear, pain and anxiety animals go through when they get their throats slit.
imagine someone slitting your throat right now?
i also do not use leather and silk as production of regular silk involves boiling the life pupa of the silk worm hence it is not Ahimsa.
many might argue that slik is used to adorn statues in temples but do not forget it is man who gives God these garments.
actually what can we really give God? we have no raw materials of our own.we can only give Him our pure thoughts, words and deeds.
to me i do not feel the Cow is the only sacred animal every living entity
is sacred as God is enshrined in every living entity, so how can I kill any?
Ahimsa is one of the main school of thought in Sanathana Dharma.
ahimsa means non violenece in thought, words and deeds and vegetarianism is one of the aspects of Ahimsa.
even in vegetarianism loss of life is also inevitable as plants also die when we eat them eg harvesting of rice/wheat, eating tubers, green leafy vegetables etc.
Plants have a lesser developed system in terms of pain but more of a tactile sensation but a fully developed Central Nervous System is found in animals and they feel pain just like us.
anyway vegetarianism cannot be advocated to everyone as you do not expect an eskimo/or a tribal to live solely on vegetables as for them the surrounding and environment may not be condusive.
on my own i feel vegetarianism need not necessary bring you closer to God but it does bring you closer to animals.
its a nice feeling when you look at an animal and feel the joy you share with it knowing that " I Love You and I do not eat You".
its more a personal satisfaction rather than a spiritual feeling.