PDA

View Full Version : CHILD MARRIAGE

PRABHU P
02 December 2008, 09:55 AM
Now a days even school going children are falling in love and having affairs. Thanks to films and TV. This leads to a lot of problems in the society. Love failures, Divorce, Suicides, AIDS etc. have become a common thing now a days.

The solution I suggest is child marraige. 'Sneha' should come in to place before 'Kama' enters.

Even if the child becomes a widow or widower in the child hood itself, which can't be avoided even in adult hood, is not a problem now a days because the remarriage is very much prevalent in the present system.

So vote for child marriage.

PRABHU P

sunyatisunya
19 April 2009, 01:35 PM
When I was about seven I was married on my front lawn to the next door neighbor girl.

All I can say is... I'm glad it was make-believe!

Hiwaunis
21 April 2009, 09:23 PM
Now a days even school going children are falling in love and having affairs. Thanks to films and TV. This leads to a lot of problems in the society. Love failures, Divorce, Suicides, AIDS etc. have become a common thing now a days.

The solution I suggest is child marraige. 'Sneha' should come in to place before 'Kama' enters.

Even if the child becomes a widow or widower in the child hood itself, which can't be avoided even in adult hood, is not a problem now a days because the remarriage is very much prevalent in the present system.

PRABHU P

This is a ridiculous notion. At what age do you propose to sell your daughter? Or is it that you plan on buying someone else's daughter or son? Children should allowed to be children and not thrown into adulthood. Being married is no walk in the park. It is hard enough for adults together. This is not even worth a response.

Filmresearch
30 April 2009, 09:46 AM

PRABHU P
Prabhu P

I find your take on child marriage very interesting. I have just come back from a research trip in India and whilst I was out there I read a statistic that said 80% of marriages happen when the female is under fifteen and I know child marriage is a hotly debated subject.

Do you have experience of this yourself? Would you be willing to speak to me further. I am researching a long form documentary on Indian women.

Many thanks

Jemma

satay
30 April 2009, 10:39 AM
namaskar,

I have just come back from a trip in India as well. Would you be willing to share the source that showed this statistic?

I am not sure how and where people publish these types of wrong statistics for researchers. If one just talks to the local Indians one would find out that the statistic is clearly a lie.

I have just come back from a research trip in India and whilst I was out there I read a statistic that said 80% of marriages happen when the female is under fifteen and I know child marriage is a hotly debated subject.

Jemma

Ganeshprasad
30 April 2009, 11:58 AM
Pranam

I have just come back from a research trip in India and whilst I was out there I read a statistic that said 80% of marriages happen when the female is under fifteen and I know child marriage is a hotly debated subject.Jemma

what a blatant lie, for a start it is against the law.

i also go to India almost every year and i have not come across any marriage that was under the age suggested, this is not to say it does not happen in some remote villages but 80% is totally wrong.

Jai Shree Krishna

satay
30 April 2009, 02:19 PM
namaskar,
For the 17 years of my life in India, I never heard of any such marriage. I don't know where the 'researchers' get these stats from.

This is why I asked for the 'source' of these stats. It is these kinds of blatant lies that leave no appreciation or credibility for these types of research topics and researchers.

I think a good topic of research might be in the backyard since Britain has the worst underage sex rates. That's a good topic to research.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1574814/Britain-has-worst-underage-sex-rates.html

Pranam

what a blatant lie, for a start it is against the law.

i also go to India almost every year and i have not come across any marriage that was under the age suggested, this is not to say it does not happen in some remote villages but 80% is totally wrong.

Jai Shree Krishna

ohmshivaya
01 May 2009, 07:39 AM
Prabhu P

I find your take on child marriage very interesting. I have just come back from a research trip in India and whilst I was out there I read a statistic that said 80% of marriages happen when the female is under fifteen and I know child marriage is a hotly debated subject.

Do you have experience of this yourself? Would you be willing to speak to me further. I am researching a long form documentary on Indian women.

Many thanks

Jemma

Before anyone even responds to mails and requests such as one above, I want to clarify certain things for the benefit of other readers who might fall victim to such idiocy posts and requests in chat forums and other informal forums. This is just for educational purpose.

First of all, if any poster was indeed a serious 'researcher' wanting to, lets say, write an academic book on some social issue, he or she would have an association/affiliation with a legitimate university or research institute in that country where the research is being done, and use background information and data from authentic (official) and scientific sources. NOT go into chat forums, or any such forums, for collecting background information for an allegedly serious or scholarly work.

Second, the researcher, if collecting primary data, would present formal letter of introduction about the nature of the project - giving details on their university/institution, department, (and if a student) the name of guiding professor, nature of project, and funded by whom, etc. to potential participants in the study...

..unless the above poster is a high school student who has been given a writing/video assignment to be turned in by next Monday, which means the student frantically goes to the google and uses whatever the google throws back at him as a source, or goes to first person most easily available to him, such as the next door neighbor, and asks him for some opinion on the subject which he can then use in the paper/video.

No serious scholar or researcher will go on chat forums or forum of any nature and elicit few personal opinions from the members, and try to pass it off as serious research work - although this is known to happen in the western academia. One famous western social scientist (now nearly in his eighties) working on Africa, is known to have made his name as an expert on africa, by very often using his driver (the guy who drove him around), or some conveniently available person, as the main source of information, and passing it off as "Overwhelming number of Africans believe/think/say....blah blah blah.." In fact, it is pretty much what CNN or BBC does when reporting on non-western societies...pass off the most extreme and isolated opinions as the 'trend' or 'fact' to an ignorant, or indifferent, American/British public.

Years ago, when I was teaching undergrads (seniors) sociology, and they had to write papers on some social issues of their own choice, one chap presented me a paper about Indian arranged marriages. His entire source of background inforation for the paper, it seems, was his one Indian neighbour, another 'jackass' student like himself, who was more than happy to dish out some sensation information on Indian marriages in exchange for free lunch, which the 'sociology' student apparently offered to buy as payment. The paper made the most amusing reading, and after having a hearty chuckle on both the content and writing, I threw the paper back towards him and told him it had been most entertaining, and now he had 24 hours to go down to the library, get down to
serious work, write another paper, and turn it in; or he could take an F.

The above post, and the poster, just reminded me of those teaching days.

Prabhu P

I have just come back from a research trip in India and whilst I was out there I read a statistic...

Jemma

I seriously doubt this....not that you returned from India, but 'research"(?) and 'statistics'(?)

Prabhu P

I know child marriage is a hotly debated subject....

Jemma

Not really.

There have already been numerous studies on that and plenty of official data available. It is NOT hotly debated....there are other more pressing issues that occupy Indian social scientists, policy makers, and government than this. Its only the western media that seems singularly obsessed with these topics for western consumption.

By the way, you say you just returned from India, and you are targetting an informal forum to gather your information and participants? You couldn't talk to social scientists in India for your background information?

Also interesting - You target the one poster in the forum who makes off the cuff, seemingly 'favourable,' remarks about child marriages, and you GO for him with such eagerness. Just an observation. :coffee:

satay
01 May 2009, 09:07 AM
pranam ohmshivaya,

Aan excellent post.

In fact, it is pretty much what CNN or BBC does when reporting on non-western societies...pass off the most extreme and isolated opinions as the 'trend' or 'fact' to an ignorant, or indifferent, American/British public.

This has been my observation as well. For example, the other day at the gym, I happened to turn on the tv and found BBC reporters in some slum in India and interviewing one of the elderly there about what he thought about the current parties and if he was going to vote and how his vote would change anything for him. I thought to myself, "is this really the news you went to India for? you couldn't stop one of the BMW's or Mercedes or Lexus' or even someone walking on the street and ask them that question?" What a nonsense. I shook my head and turned the channel...

Years ago, when I was teaching undergrads (seniors) sociology, and they had to write papers on some social issues of their own choice, one chap presented me a paper about Indian arranged marriages. His entire source of background inforation for the paper, it seems, was his one Indian neighbour, another 'jackass' student like himself, who was more than happy to dish out some sensation information on Indian marriages in exchange for free lunch, which the 'sociology' student apparently offered to buy as payment. The paper made the most amusing reading, and after having a hearty chuckle on both the content and writing, I threw the paper back towards him and told him it had been most entertaining, and now he had 24 hours to go down to the library, get down to
serious work, write another paper, and turn it in; or he could take an F.

I think I met 'this' guy in university too! But when I start offering him some facts instead he didn't want me to help him with his paper any longer. :)

Not really.

There have already been numerous studies on that and plenty of official data available. It is NOT hotly debated....there are other more pressing issues that occupy Indian social scientists, policy makers, and government than this. Its only the western media that seems singularly obsessed with these topics for western consumption.

Absolutely. Actually, I just came back from India after being away for 10 years and didn't meet a single person there that was even remotely interested in debating 'child marriages'. It is a non issue for the average Indian who 'child' is happily playing video games or watching wrestling matches!