PDA

View Full Version : Teachers caning students

Infinite Regress
04 December 2008, 11:23 PM
Why do we allow this to go on? Many people justify this, saying children need to be disciplined, isn't this sick? Beating up a ten-year-old is hardly the way to change young minds. But not only teachers, but parents and sometimes even students justify this:( which makes no sense!

My understanding is, this is the result of Christian influence, because I believe Hindus didn't subscribe to such methods? That being the case, why are Hindus (who are often against missionary activities) okay with this? Isn't this contradictory?

On the one hand, they claim to oppose missionaries for polluting their culture, but they also follow the Christian methods in the same breath.:o

amra
05 December 2008, 05:26 AM
without threat of the danda society will descend into chaos, it does not have to be used but its threat should be there for the good of society.

Eastern Mind
05 December 2008, 06:44 AM
Violence begets violence, and when it starts in the home at an early impressionable age, it leads to bullying on playgrounds, spousal abuse, and the continued cycle..but the starting point is in the home. Races don't finish if they don't start.

The other problem is that despite the myth of 'spare the rod, spoil the child' remaining, research, large samples, over long periods of time now, has shown that IT SIMPLY DOESN'T WORK. Physical punishment as a behaviour modification is ineffective at best, and has the opposite of the intended effect at worst.

I taught for some 27 years, and strapped 3 students, always with the support of my principals, one each in my first 3 years of teaching. After the third one, when the student in question returned to class, and continued with his antics only 20 minutes after the beating, I went home and had a soul search to draw the above conclusions. I started writing the child in question personal letters each day or three times a week. I found his interests, his humour, his general attitude and perspectives on life, and got him 'on my side' such that his behaviour got modified over time. Now the little ____________ is some computer geek millionaire.

This is a generalisation, and not validated by any research I know of, but it was certainly my experience that the worst behaved students came from homes where fathers would say "Strap him. My father strapping me sure didn't do me no harm."

Aum Namasivaya