PDA

View Full Version : Sadāśiva - different?

yajvan
17 December 2008, 03:06 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

Namaste

It is very infrequent to rare that I see or read anything on sadāśiva (specifically). For those that practice Śaivism, do you see sadāśiva differently ? That is, is sadāśiva (not opposed to, but) perhaps a aspect of śiva as Śivabhaṭṭāraka or Maheśvara ? If so , how so?

What are your thoughts on sadāśiva ?
sadāśiva सदाशिव sadā + śiva : sadā सदा- always , ever, continually + śiva शिव the Auspicious One. This word śiva is defined as propitious , gracious , favourable , benign , kind , benevolent , friendly , dear and is rooted in śī which is ' in whom all things lie' ; śī also defined as tranquility, devotion, repose, rest.
Hence sadāśiva is the ever and continually tranquil & auspicious, kind and benevolent One.

ॐ महेश्वराय नमः
oṁ maheśvarāya namaḥ

pranams

words

śī शी -' in whom all things lie' and is also defined as tranquility, devotion, repose, rest, sleep.

Śivabhaṭṭāraka is Śiva-bhaṭṭāra. Bhaṭṭāra is the great lord , venerable or worshipful; bhaṭ भट्- nourish , maintain

yajvan
19 December 2008, 02:12 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~

Namaste

What are your thoughts on sadāśiva ?
sadāśiva सदाशिव sadā + śiva : sadā सदा- always , ever, continually + śiva शिव the Auspicious One. This word śiva is defined as propitious , gracious , favourable , benign , kind , benevolent , friendly , dear and is rooted in śī which is ' in whom all things lie' ; śī also defined as tranquility, devotion, repose, rest.
Hence sadāśiva is the ever and continually tranquily & auspicious, kind and benevolent One.
What do we know of sadāśiva that may help in understanding this expression Parameśvara. Let me offer what I understand and have studied so far.
Sadāśiva is often depicted as Sadāśivamūrta the 5 faced-One. What are these 5 faces?

Iśāna and this face looks up
Tatpuruśa faces East
Sadyojāta faces West
Vāmadeva faces North
Aghora faces South.Now what is the 5 all about ? Śiva's pañcakṛityavidhiḥ (5 great acts). The 5 comes out allot when associated with Śivabhaṭṭāraka. Let me list them out as I understand it ( all additional insights and corrections are welcomed).

Sṛiṣṭi or the act ( śakti ) of creation - being creative - hence Sadyojāta
Sthiti or protective act - hence Vāmadeva
Saṁhāra the destructive act - hence Aghora
Tirodhāna the act of concealing His nature - hence Tatpuruśa
Anugraha the act of revealing His nature - hence IśānaThere is another view ( not different, just another view)

Brahmā ¹ is the creator
Viṣṇu is the preserver and protector
Rudra is the destroyer
Maheśvara is the obscuruer or concealing His nature
Sadāśiva is the revealer the giver of anugraha ( grace)It's said the 4 veda's were revealed by the first 4 listed above, and Iśāna-Sadāśiva revealed the āgama-s via his grace.
We have also talked about this anugrha (grace) on another HDF post http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=24586&postcount=3 (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=24586&postcount=3) and lists out the types ¹ i.e. tīvra, madhya, and manda.
We can see by His grace why His name means (sadāśiva) the ever and continually tranquily & auspicious, kind and benevolent One.

ॐमहेश्वरायनमः
oṁ maheśvarāya namaḥ

pranams

words

When Brahmā ब्रह्मा is written with long ā it is considered saguṇa or with attributes - He is the Creator; When Brahma ब्रह्म is written with the short a, then He is nirguṇa , the Formless, without attributes, the Absolute.
tīvra तीव्रis strong, intense, pervading
madhya मध्यis middle, central, middlemost , intermediate, central
manda मन्दis slow,softly, slight or slack, gentle. Also note manda is another name of śani, mandi, the slow moving one.