PDA

View Full Version : Newbie

jaggin
24 June 2006, 02:43 PM
I am a born again Christian (That means I have accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior and He controls my life), from the Baptist convention (an oxymoron since Baptists don't have any conventions) and influenced by the Charismatic renewal of the seventies.

Lately God has been steering me into an understanding of other religions and that course led me here through a post on the Sangha site.

Muslims define Islam as submission to God, so I fit that definition but they extend it to the Quaran which like the writings of Moses contains many laws but all lawfullness is fulfilled in me by Jesus not books. So in effect the Muslims redefine me out of Islam because they don't think I observe the law (sharia).

I wouldn't make a very good Buddhist because I believe in God, war and suffering.

I tried reading the Hindu scriptures but decided it just wasn't worth it since they were much less than inspiring.

I am now reading a book about a Sikh master and finding it quite enjoyable.

satay
24 June 2006, 11:06 PM
I wouldn't make a very good Buddhist because I believe in God, war and suffering.

I tried reading the Hindu scriptures but decided it just wasn't worth it since they were much less than inspiring.

Namaste,
Welcome to the forums. Dharma (buddhist or sanatana) can not be 'inspiring' to everyone...our karma has a lot to do with this but let's leave it at that.

I wanted to find out which sikh guru (of the 10 gurus) are you reading about? Shri Guru Nanak Dev or Shri Guru Gobind Singh? These two are the most famous.

Singhi Kaya
25 June 2006, 12:22 PM

God is not necessary in buddhism but there is nothing wrong in believing in God either as far as i know.
War or suffering is basically the point where buddhism starts at ~ goal being to eliminate suffering. So I don't see a contradiction there ~ except your christian view is perhaves to believe suffering is needed or something like that.

I'll just re-iterate what Satay has said.
Some people find novels inspiring than anything else.

sikkhism is an offshoot of sanatana dharma ~ guru govind singh ji made this sishya (deciple) clan into a sikh clan motivated by the need to stand up to the moslem oppressors in India and protect the dharma. Thus in social aspect Sikhism borrowed few things from abrahamism (like congression) as a tool to counter abrahimism. Sikh history is quite fascinating.

Jalasayanan
28 June 2006, 05:03 PM
sikkhism is an offshoot of sanatana dharma ~ guru govind singh ji made this sishya (deciple) clan into a sikh clan motivated by the need to stand up to the moslem oppressors in India and protect the dharma. Thus in social aspect Sikhism borrowed few things from abrahamism (like congression) as a tool to counter abrahimism. Sikh history is quite fascinating.

There is an Hindu offshoot sect having its origin to Sikhism. They were originally Sikhs and was later outcasted (ostracised/ex-communicated) by later gurus, thus had no other go than to become Hindus.

Singhi Kaya
29 June 2006, 02:17 AM
There is an Hindu offshoot sect having its origin to Sikhism. They were originally Sikhs and was later outcasted (ostracised/ex-communicated) by later gurus, thus had no other go than to become Hindus.

You are talking about the Udasin sadhus

jaggin
30 June 2006, 08:09 AM
Namaste,
Welcome to the forums. Dharma (buddhist or sanatana) can not be 'inspiring' to everyone...our karma has a lot to do with this but let's leave it at that.

I wanted to find out which sikh guru (of the 10 gurus) are you reading about? Shri Guru Nanak Dev or Shri Guru Gobind Singh? These two are the most famous.

If memory serves me right, Nanak was the founder of the religion and he is quoted from their granth (scripture) in the book. I will have to take a notebook to work and copy down the information because my memory is poor. I am reading the book on my lunch hour. I remember the name Ji. That might be the one but not his full name just the end of it. I am finding the book entertaining and informative although a bit repetitive. Maybe that is due to the fact that it is a collection of the gurus writings.

satay
30 June 2006, 09:42 AM
If memory serves me right, Nanak was the founder of the religion and he is quoted from their granth (scripture) in the book.

Shri Guru Nanak Dev Ji is not the founder but the first guru of Sikhs. The founder of sikhism is Shri Guru Gobind Singh Ji.

Would you like to share the title of the book that you are reading?

jaggin
08 July 2006, 07:16 AM
I have it memorized now. His full title is: Param Sant Kirpal Sing Ji Maharaj of Delhi. The book is titled: The Way of the Saints by Kirpal Singh and is published by the Sant Bani Press which if my memory serves me comes from the Sant Bani Ashram in New Hampshire, USA. I forgot what Ashram means but I suspect it is similar to Sangha. What do Hindus call it?