PDA

View Full Version : Brihadaranyaka/Isha Upanishad: Wallpaper

TatTvamAsi
25 December 2008, 01:21 PM
Namaste,

I created this wallpaper (using a picture from the Internet) for my own computer and thought I would share it.

It is one of my favorite shlokas; so mathematical and so profound.

I have a high resolution image (1920x1200) of the image but have uploaded a smaller version. If you want the higher resolution image, I can email it to you.

Subham.

satay
25 December 2008, 02:29 PM
Beautiful!
With your permission, I would like to add this to HDF picture profile database so that if a member chooses to, they can use this picture for their profile.

Please let me know.
Thanks,

TatTvamAsi
25 December 2008, 05:36 PM
Beautiful!
With your permission, I would like to add this to HDF picture profile database so that if a member chooses to, they can use this picture for their profile.

Please let me know.
Thanks,

Namaste Satay,

Sure, go ahead and add it to the HDF picture profile database. If you want, I can send you a higher resolution version of the same image. If the current one will suffice, that's fine as well.

Regards.

yajvan
25 December 2008, 05:45 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

Namaste TatTvamAsi,satya (et.al)
This Upaniṣad is one of my favorites... I thought just to add a bit on its name.

bṛhadāraṇyaka is :
bṛhad = bṛhát बृहत्= extended or bright, full grown, great. This is also a noun for Brahman. It is sometimes written vṛhat. Yet know matter it brings to mind great , large , wide , vast , abundant , strong & mighty .
āraṇyaka अरण्यक - forest.

So combined we have the bṛhát + araṇyaka , the Great forest book Upaniṣad . Some times it is written bṛhadāraṇyakopaniṣad.

Yet why call it the great forest book? Some say it’s the book one takes during the specific āśrama ( halting place ) stage of life when there is retirement to the forest (araṇyaka); Others say due to it vastness (bṛhát) that is contained in this body of knowledge, it covers all the items of life ( the full forest).
Since this book is much to do with Brahman, having it for a āśrama ( halting place ) also suggests a place that removes the fatigue of wordliness and hence the value of this book's wisdom.

Another view of this Bṛhadāraṇyakopaniṣad's greatness is due to its attentnion on Brahman and its exhaustive views and profunity on the subject. It is considered in size one of the largest Upaniṣad ( along with the Chāndogya Upaniṣad).

Together, Bṛhadarāṇyakopaniṣad + Chāndogya Upaniṣad = 80% of all the text ( in volume) that Bādrāyana (Veda Vyāsa) used in his most famous work of the Brahma Sūtra-s. He quoted from 13 upaniṣad-s and these two mentioned by volume and wisdom must have played a key role, hence key reading for anyone wishing to comprehend this wisdom.
FYI - the Muktika Upaniṣad calls out 108 Upaniṣad-s.

One śloka that is most notable from this great work:
Bṛhadāraṇyaka Upaniṣad 1.3.28 बृहदारण्यक उपनिषद् 1.3.28.
oṁ asato mā sat gamaya
tamaso mā jyotir gamaya
mṛtyor mā amṛtam gamaya oṁ
oṁ śāntiḥ śāntiḥ śāntiḥ
Lead Us From the Unreal To Real
Lead Us From Darkness To Light
Lead Us From Death To Immortality
oṁ peace peace peace

pranām

devotee
29 December 2008, 10:50 AM
Namaste,

I created this wallpaper (using a picture from the Internet) for my own computer and thought I would share it.

It is one of my favorite shlokas; so mathematical and so profound.

I have a high resolution image (1920x1200) of the image but have uploaded a smaller version. If you want the higher resolution image, I can email it to you.

Subham.

That is really lovely, TTA ! :)

OM

Pretnath
30 December 2008, 04:38 AM
Namaste TatTvamAsi,
This is beautiful picture,I do not have any image like that, but if you don't mind I can say that it was half, like showing TRIDEV only to upper half.

Please don't took me wrong your picture is really beautiful, but it is known that half showing pictures are not good except the all half like "ARDHNARISHWAR".

TatTvamAsi
29 January 2009, 09:08 PM
Namaste TatTvamAsi,
This is beautiful picture,I do not have any image like that, but if you don't mind I can say that it was half, like showing TRIDEV only to upper half.

Please don't took me wrong your picture is really beautiful, but it is known that half showing pictures are not good except the all half like "ARDHNARISHWAR".

Namaste Pretnath,

The reason the TRIDEV is shown only in the upper half is because I had to fit it into the size of the wallpaper along with the Devi. Other wise, we would see only her neck and it would look weird. I meant no harm and it was unintentional. I wish I can get a better version of the picture so that I can fit the shloka along with the FULL picture.