PDA

View Full Version : Satyam's Raju

atanu
10 January 2009, 11:40 AM
Shri Ramalinga Raju, having confessed to some wrong doing, is now a hated man.

I wonder, with awe, the unbearable load of karma that men have to carry. A man who was instrumental towards livelihood of more than a million people, diectly and indirectly, suddenly has become untouchable now.

I wish all connected with the situation peace of mind.

Om

reflections
12 January 2009, 04:16 AM
Atanuji,
As a software-Engineer, I am concerned that it might affect the whole Indian IT outsourcing. Like, our company in the UK, may think n times before outsourcing to WIPRO, TCS now. I pray this is taken as a stand alone case and don't reflect the whole Indian IT industry.

Now as a Human, I feel compassion for Raju. Many business tycoons do the scams which he has done. Only thing, his scam came out, he will be punished. Losing fame, character are the biggest loss. May he get purification from the negative karmas he created. May he finds peace in the long run.

Bhaskara Narasimhaiah
13 January 2009, 12:26 AM
Ramalinga Raju has proved the traditional wisdom that there are no short cuts to TRUE success.

You can not create WEALTH out of manipulation; TRUTH always prevails
So is Knowledge. Unfortunately there are many such Rajus in the Sphere of knowledge as well, pushing people to darkness . Truth can not be many; but we have so many versions of 'truth' in the names of faith, religion, cult etc.,and in total contradiction!

The fight in todays world is not between good or bad, right or wrong; but, between one man's belief versus another man's belief. Unfortunately, all these faiths, religions etc., that were meant to enhance the overall well being of whole creation, have become causes of pain, violence and destruction.

This is because every theory originates in human mind and has all the subjectivity of it. eventually it becomes a dogma and blinds the reason of its followers, who fight with followers of other faiths.

We must first stop institutionalizing spirituality in the names of faith, religion etc., for, Spirituality is very subjective and is meant to enhance inner well being of an individual. Collective inner well being of all individuals is well being of whole of creation.

Isn't that beautiful.....

atanu
19 January 2009, 06:33 AM
Atanuji,
As a software-Engineer, I am concerned that it might affect the whole Indian IT outsourcing. Like, our company in the UK, may think n times before outsourcing to WIPRO, TCS now. I pray this is taken as a stand alone case and don't reflect the whole Indian IT industry.

Now as a Human, I feel compassion for Raju. Many business tycoons do the scams which he has done. Only thing, his scam came out, he will be punished. Losing fame, character are the biggest loss. May he get purification from the negative karmas he created. May he finds peace in the long run.

Namaste reflections,

I am afraid that in the short run a bit of disgrace to Indian Industry cannot be avoided. I am also nearly sure that nothing will come out of the enquiries -- bureaucrats and politicians who have benefitted will put barriers.

Brihadaraynaka Upanishad stipulates that leaders (khatriyas) must follow the advice of Brahmanas. Without prejudice, i state that in India, for a long time, the vaishya rule has prevailed.

Regards

Om

sm78
19 January 2009, 06:38 AM
Business leaders are a strange set of people who assume a khastriya "posture" but are driven by profit.

atanu
19 January 2009, 06:51 AM
Business leaders are a strange set of people who assume a khastriya "posture" but are driven by profit.

I fully agree.

:D This is the first agreement between you and me.

Infinite Regress
22 January 2009, 02:20 PM
The problem is not Raju, the problem is capitalism which puts profits before people, and I am sure there are many more Rajus who aren't caught yet, so this isn't all that surprising an incident. In a system as barbaric as capitalism (where a person has to sell his labor, or he'll starve!), even good people can change for the worse, if only to survive. No point in dealing with isolated cases like these, and ignoring the actual cause of these problems.

atanu
23 January 2009, 07:05 AM
The problem is not Raju, the problem is capitalism which puts profits before people, and I am sure there are many more Rajus who aren't caught yet, so this isn't all that surprising an incident. In a system as barbaric as capitalism (where a person has to sell his labor, or he'll starve!), even good people can change for the worse, if only to survive. No point in dealing with isolated cases like these, and ignoring the actual cause of these problems.

Namaste Infinite,

I am inclined to agree to your view to some extent. But, IMO, the fundamental problem of individual greed for money, power, and fame will remain in any type of social system you create.

There is a small story.
There was a Shiva devotee whose penance was frightening to others yet he did not relent and Shiva also did not relent. Shiva kept on postponing the boon. Compassionate mother then pleaded on behalf of the devotee. But still Shiva did not relent. He warned Parvati that the devotee was dangerous. But who can withstand the continous pressure from one's consort?
Finally Shiva relented but issued a warning to Parvati that He should not be held responsible for the after effects. Shiva then approached the devotee and told him that whatever boon the devotee gets his neighbours will get in double. First the dangerous devotee raised hue and cry but sensing that Shiva is of fixed nature accepted the fate. He asked for a boon by which he was to lose one leg, one hand, and one eye.
Shiva replied 'tathastu' and vanished. Next day all neighbours went blind and limbless. Now Durga again complained to Shiva of His recklessness (My complaint: Consorts have only complaints).Well, my experience is that one can be happy only when one's Chitta is pure, rejoicing with happiness of all and sharing the misery when required.

However, India of my experience, as of now, is that it is a brokering fraternity. One person/one company works and hundred brokers gamble on the result of toil. Likes of Harshad Mehta or Ramalinga Raju are our heroes till they fail. Then we become holier than thou. This scenario includes me of course.

Om

saidevo
23 January 2009, 08:20 AM
Until the Islamic invention, a native Indian country's entire wealth was under the control of just one man--the king. Yet there was no greed for amassing astronomical amounts of wealth at the cost of the country and the people, because everyone, specially the rulers and the other wealthy people were conscious of dharma. Kings used to distribute herds of cows, acres of lands, bushels of foodgrains and gold coins to the brahmins and the needy who had talents and sought his help. The average life standard of the citizens was also much higher than now. There were of course, bad and tyrannical kings but they were exceptions rather than the rule. Dynastical transition of power to the throne also passed on smoothly, unlike in the history of the Muslim rulers where the son invariably killed the father to ascend to the throne and the British history where even king's wife conspired against him.

Today, in this age of science and technology, wealth is generated overwhelmingly, only to be cornered by mighty and powerful coteries of power mongers, who in their insatiable greed would go to any adharmic extent to amass and possess the wealth and the power that goes with it. This is invariably the case in every country, more so in India. The shocking feature of today's business ventures is that the gullible public and the employees are blatantly cheated and driven towards bankruptcy.

There are, of course, some exceptions where the successful business tycoon spares something for the common man too. The name of Bill Gates comes readily to mind. Dhirubhai Ambani adopted his native village where he is adored as a god. And now, this man, Ramalinga Raju, is said to have 'helped' his village and community people by creating fake documents and sending them abroad as engineers to do the job of cooks, servants and drivers!

Our political tycoons are the vilest of the lot: they amass wealth for ten generations without any production, stash huge amounts of money in secret Switz bank accounts by swindling what is meant for welfare schemes, wear desi clothes to fool the people, throw them pittance out of the governmental money at election times in the name of free offers and try to stay in power all the time.

Whatever the system of our modern economy, government, politics and education, we invariably end up on the wrong side, creating only Gargantuans out of the system. So what is wrong with us and what we have? Why can't the science and technology come up with a fool-proof, people-friendly welfare system of economics, education and government? Does the answer to this question needs to be only metaphysical?

Infinite Regress
24 January 2009, 01:07 PM
Until the Islamic invention, a native Indian country's entire wealth was under the control of just one man--the king.

Even without power, we see people trying to control others. If we give all the authority to just one man, the king, the disaster would be unimaginable. Bottom line, power corrupts. Besides, it'd be impossible for one person to manage the country's resources, unless he were an all-knowing entity. The whole thing sounds impractical.

saidevo
24 January 2009, 06:49 PM
Namaste IR.

Even without power, we see people trying to control others. If we give all the authority to just one man, the king, the disaster would be unimaginable. Bottom line, power corrupts. Besides, it'd be impossible for one person to manage the country's resources, unless he were an all-knowing entity. The whole thing sounds impractical.

I have not advocated for a governmental system of monarchy. Power corrupts, agreed, but why did not power corrupt people in the olden days? I think it is because in the older system of government in India, the King was guided in dharma by the state gurus and advised by a scholarly minister and his team. Hinduism by itself being a way of life, the consciousness of dharma was imparted on everyone, most of all the King, in all acts of his life.

We tout ourselves to have progressed immensely due to science and technology, but the question is, why the governmental systems evolved by modern science has failed to provide a foolproof, corruption-free, wealth-distributed form of government? The answer is again that there is no scope for dharma in today's life and government. The initiative of dharma today depends on the individual's character rather than on the system, and that is the cause of all our ills.

saidevo
24 January 2009, 10:32 PM
Here is an interesting mail that was forwarded to me:

Inspiring Attitude from a SATYAM employee

I am deputed at client location and came across a very interesting conversation in cafeteria yesterday. One of my co-worker, also deputed with the same client through some lesser kn ow n two room company, mustered guts to ask me sarcastically in front of entire team, "So, Satyam is gone! What are you guys planning to do n ow ?" In normal circumstances, I have a habit to not to reply to lose talks, but in front of entire team....

I thought I need to fix this guy's thought process. I asked him, as my military training has imbibed in me the habit to fight till last breadth, "Who says Satyam is gone when I am very much alive here and committed to create value on behalf of my company?". He shot back, "Hello Mr., your chairman has resigned, you guys are facing financial turbulence and you still have a face to say that Satyam is not gone!"

At this juncture, I thought of replying to this guy in his ow n language. I asked him, "Tell me, what will you do and where will you go if our country India was not there?" He was not prepared for this level of thought and asked back, "What a stupid question, H ow can India be gone, it is a country?"

I asked him back, "Country! What makes a country? Land? Economy? Our Prime Minister? Our President? Our Geography? Or the PEOPLE? If our PM resigns, will you say India is gone? If our economy faces a sl ow d ow n, will you say India is gone? But yes, if the people of a country are lost for any reason, we will say that country has no meaning. Who cares of vast land of Antarctica today which has just one permanent resident, Father Georgy? Which country does it belongs to? Why does not it has any government? Why does not it has any economy? Or, h ow many countries were there when humans used to hunt for food in pre-historic times? Countries, Wealth, Infrastructures and booming economies are nothing but creations of efforts of PEOPLE, and they do not have any existence on their ow n. And the final blow was, "When one man can create Satyam as an organization of 53,000 people, why not 53,000 committed people can rebuild one SATYAM?"

sm78
25 January 2009, 06:01 AM
Until the Islamic invention, a native Indian country's entire wealth was under the control of just one man--the king.

While king had the ultimate power of decision much like presidents of present day, I am not sure how much you say is true. King has to consult a wide array of officials before taking any step. Some of these officials like maha mantri were representatives of the people.

However the secret of raja tantra is not power in one man's hand (which will be dictatorship), but proper training of the person who is to assume power.

In present day democracy, the people who take the ultimate seat have no training in warfare, in economics, in policy or in any branch of knowledge and least of in the areas of spirit.