PDA

View Full Version : How to Enter the Temple?

dana
14 January 2009, 02:36 PM
Namaste!
I am Dana and i am really new to many things about hinduism. I used to go to the temple when i was younger but that was many years ago. My question is: How do you enter a temple? What to do and why? Please help. I am really trying to get back into Hinduism. Thank you for those giving me some advice.

hindustallion
14 January 2009, 05:30 PM
Enter the temple with your right leg first.
Pray to every God one by one,if the temple have more than one deities,by going in front of the deity...close your eyes....chant some hymns.
If you have money and is interested,you can do a pooja(Archana...etc)by giving money to the receptionist of the table.If anything is required to do pooja like flowers,coconuts etc. they are available inside the temple,so you can buy it.
After the pooja is over, the priest will give you the prasadam. Paste the sandal on your head and neck.
Walk around temple from left to right of the deity.
come home and share the prasadam with everyone.

..........This is how i do in SouthIndia,I don't know the tradition of NorthIndia.

reflections
15 January 2009, 03:58 AM
If the temple is North Indian. Archana i.e. Puja happens mainly in the morning. There will be various Aartis through out the day but they are conducted at specifice time, and devotee should be present there to have Darshan at that time.

Eastern Mind
18 January 2009, 04:55 PM
Enter the temple with humility and an open heart. The shakti can alter your life. Aum

hindustallion
19 January 2009, 04:38 PM
And of course, while entering, bow down.try not to show the deity your back.