PDA

View Full Version : Gems from Kabir ji

reflections
16 January 2009, 05:44 AM
Namaste all,

This thread is dedicated to mystic poet and saint Kabir ji.

* His knowledge so profound, so deep yet expressed so simply.
* A humble weaver and house holder yet a great mystic.
* A perfect gyani, Karma yogi and a Bhakta and he criticized all sectarian outlook which divides people.

Let us go through some of Dohas by Kabir ji.

First one: in such a simple language Kabir ji ends all debates between Advaita and Dvaita. And he mentions that the spiriutal union or ultimate state can never be expressed.
Ek Kahun To Hai Nahin, Do Kahun To Gaari
Hai Jaisa Taisa Rahe, Kahe Kabir Bichari

If I say one, it is not like that,
If I say two, it is a like a transgression.
After a thoughtful reflection Kabir says,
Let it be what it is.

Regards,
reflections

reflections
20 January 2009, 09:26 AM
Again with the examples from day to day life, kabir ji explains the Nature of the Divine. That divine always resides in us, we just need to discover.

Something very similar to :

Bhagvad Gita: Chapter 15, Verse 15. (http://www.asitis.com/15/15.html)
http://www.asitis.com/gif/bump.gifI am seated in everyone's heart, and from Me come remembrance, knowledge and forgetfulness.

Jaise Til Mein Tel Hai, Jyon Chakmak Mein Aag
Tera Sayeen Tujh Mein Hai, Tu Jaag Sake To Jaag

Just as sesame seed contains the oil, the flint stone contains the
your God resides in you, realize if you can

reflections
21 January 2009, 09:28 AM
Kabira Khara Bazaar Mein, Mange Sabki Khair
Na Kahu Se Dosti, Na Kahu Se Bair

Kabir is standing in market place, wishing well for everyone.
He is neither a friend nor a foe to anyone.

Kabir ji was not an ascetic. He was a family man, a simple weaver. On one hand he says that a businessman can not be a friend or enemy of anyone. On the other hand, in a profound way he explains how to live in this world still being untainted and gives us a glimpse of true 'Stithpragnya. He compares this life with a market, where in he is neither 'attached' nor 'repulsed' with anyone thus free from 'raag and dvesha'and wishes well for everyone.

reflections
26 January 2009, 05:25 AM
Kabir ji on Love.

Kabir ji was a 'Yogi' and a 'Bhakta' at the same time. A 'Sufi' and 'Vedanti' at the same time. Let us rejoice some of the couplets gloryfying devotion and love of God.

This one could have been aimed at so called pundits in the time of Kabir ji, who were very learned in scriptures but missed the basic point of love for humanity and love for God. Kabir ji tells 'Love' is the way to become wise and learned.

Pothi Padh Padh Kar Jag Mua, Pandit Bhayo Na Koye;
Dhai Aakhar Prem Ke, Jo Padhe so Pandit Hoye.

Many died after learning from books, still no one became wise
One who learns the letters of 'love', becomes wise.

Here he is actually on his journey of love, state of being united with beloved is not an easy one. The lover should undergo pangs and pain of separation from beloved. After that only, union can be anticipated. i.e. in Bhakti marg, God is hidden unless Bhakta intensely wants nothing but God.

Pehle Agan Birha Ki, Pachhe Prem Ki Pyas;
Kahe Kabir Tub Janiye, Naam Milan Ki Aaas.

First the fire of separation, then the thirst of love.
Kabir then only have the hope of a union.

This one is the ultimate, I wish I could translate its spirit and gyst. However, I can just translate words. Sometimes, people like to differentiate 'Bhakti/devotion' and 'gyan/knowledge' or 'dvaita/dualism' and 'advaita/Monism'. Kabir ji is an exceptional case, a loving bhakta, still hinting 'Advaita' in his verses. And he is also showing the importance of 'unconditional devotion/ Nishkam Bhakti' saying that love is not a commodity to be sold in a market.

Kabira Preman ka kahoon, Prem na haat bikaaye;
Prem gali ati Saankari, ta me dou na samaye.

Kabir what do I tell of love, love is not sold in the shop.
lane of love is very narrow, where 'two' can not accommodated.

Finally, after the jpourney in the path of love, after the dissolution of Ego, lover meets beloved; jeevatma meets paramatma. And the experience is too beautiful for the words to express it.

akath kahani prem ki,kahat kahi na jai;
gunge keri sarkara,khaya aur muskai.

The tale of God's love is indescribable. No words are enough for that experience.
Just like that of a dumb person tasting sugar, smiles but cannot describe the taste.