PDA

View Full Version : Hanicap Options

Pretnath
27 January 2009, 02:19 AM
Namaste All,:grouphug:

Now I have some questions dedicated to handicaps -

Guru must provide all-important mantras, but how can Guru help a deaf to understand?

We must chant all mantras properly, but how can speaching-impaired chant.

I read some were that chanting in mind always remains pure, is that true.

How can an orthodox handicap perform rituals those usually done physically?

How can the blinds make imagine of Aum and Swastika?

How can a hearing-impaired chant if he/ she cannot understand any mantra?

The correct pronunciation with proper intonation is must, but how can a desired Handicap perform?

reflections
27 January 2009, 06:37 AM
Namaste,

My personal interpretationof chanting, different ritual is: most of the time, our senses are running after objects of materialistic word, the point of worship, puja, meditation, chanting is to focus our sense organs and mind in supreme/brahman and take it away from sense objects. So, for disabled people, it means whichever sense organs are working fine, can be focused on supreme.

In practical terms, people who are deaf from birth are taught to speak by speech thrapy, by vibration of throat, lip reading. The mantra can be taught in the same way. Blind people can be taught of swastik and aum by brail and by touching an engraved or protuding symbol.

A Guru will definitely make required amendments to the prescribed samaskar in these cases. And if nothing of this is possible, God will not fail to realize the devotion in the heart of his disabled devotee.

Then question comes, if 'devotion in heart' is all that what matters, why should be bother about regulations in normal cases as well? Well, I have read there are 2 types of devotion: 'Vidhi Bhakti' and 'Anurag Bhakti' i.e. 'Ritualistic devotion' and 'Loving devotion'. The moment we start feeling intense love for supreme like Sri Ramakrishna paramhamsa, rituals and regulations are not needed. But, at the level where most of us are, entrapped by sense objects, we should try to follow regulatios/samskar as much as possible so that laziness and bad habits don't enter in us.

Regards,
reflections

reflections
27 January 2009, 10:22 AM
Namaste Pretnath ji,
One small note.
The use of word 'Handicapped' is depricated. Rather 'physcially disabled' is preffered. Some even suggest just to use 'Physically challenged' or 'differently abled' or 'people with special needs'.

I don't mean to offend you. Just a small suggestion.

Sorry,

reflections.

Pretnath
31 January 2009, 07:07 AM
Namaste Pretnath ji,
One small note.
The use of word 'Handicapped' is depricated. Rather 'physcially disabled' is preffered. Some even suggest just to use 'Physically challenged' or 'differently abled' or 'people with special needs'.

Sorry,

reflections.
:goodpost: No.. NO thats ok but I myself do not use the word disabled
I used 'Handicap' only to understand othervise I myself use "VaKr" in sanSkrit

Pretnath
31 January 2009, 07:11 AM
Namaste Pretnath ji,
One small note.

Sorry,

reflections.
No..no thats ok but I myself do not like the word disabled or special needs
I myself use the word-vaKr in sanskrit
:)
And If you come to know more please write in this thread thanks