PDA

View Full Version : Mantras & there strength, intent/meanings???

telltale777
09 February 2009, 03:05 PM
I hope I am posting this in the correct section of the forum.

One day in a B & N bookstore I happened on a book called "Healing Mantras" by Thomas Ashley Farrand, the man damn near saved my sanity, my health and life in a 3 month period waiting for test results & a new diagnosis on my health BUT I PREFACE that by saying I STILL USED conventional doctors & medication to aid & alleviate my health issues.

Since I didn’t have mala beads & couldn’t afford those real pretty genuine ones made of sandalwood and different types of material and didn’t have the patience to make my own. I grabbed a set of plain rosary beads and chanted twice a day morning and night for 108x, I would chant 5 mantras for a 40 day period. The mantras that I chanted were as follows:

Om Gum Ganapatayei Namaha
Om and salutations to the remover of obstacles for which Gum is the seed. (boy did it remove some obstacles in my health and even open some new doors funny...how it worked, its actually worked).

Om Sri Shukraya Namaha (saved me IMO)
Healing of Throat, neck, kidneys, secondary connection with reproductive organs and feet, some thyroid gland influence.

Om Sri Dhanvantre Namaha (Swaha if you’re over 28)
(phenomenal mantra worked great for me as well)

Mantra for improving your physical health

Om Apa-damapa, Hataram Dataram, Sarva Sampadam, Loki Bhi Ramam, Sri Ramam, Bhuyo Bhuyo Namam-yaham
Translation:
Om. O most compassionate Rama. Please send your healing energy right here to the Earth, to the Earth. Salutations.

(the best healing mantra ever written, kind of long but god it worked such a miracle for me, took less than a week to master the pronunciation)

Thomas Ashley-Farrand says that this is THE most powerful healing mantra, and he knows them all. Let me quote him: "I am aware that this mantra is long, but I teach it even to beginners because of the tremendous healing power it produces. I have found that those who are desperate for healing, learn it without difficulty, and many have had extraordinary results."

Om Sri Maha Lakshmiyei Swaha

(OK this one I tried chanting it for (3) 40 day periods and it didn’t work for me AT ALL was looking for an abundance of a 2 or 3 job(s) so I can pay my hospital bills, don’t understand how this one didn’t work. :(

This mantra is good to use when you are struggling financially. It is also good for bringing about spiritual abundance.

Now my question is lately my mantras have lost there strength of working fully. I've been trying to find a job for 3 years, and so far I’m getting nowhere with some other mantras I have incorporated in my praying rituals....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I found 3 mantras 2 for fulfilling wishes and one to attract the one I care and love for.....

1)Om Kapilya Namaha (wish mantra)

2)Om Kama Dayinyei Namaha (another wish mantra, I am going to try this one again for another 40 day discipline)

But I would like to learn more about this Vashikaran Mantra (how many times a day do I need to chant this mantra in a 40 or is it 90 day period?

I even read that I need to chant this mantra at least 100,000 times to even see its full effect to manifest into the results I seek..... so how many times do I really need to chant this mantra, the truth would be truly appreciated?

I get this mantra has a formula and when I ask about it many folks gave a many varying answers and leave out the entire formula on how to chant this particular mantra correctly. Instead I got replied back with in all honestly useless stories on how not to chant this mantra but no reason as to why (which I rather bypass because I am still going to recite this mantra religiously.)

Om Namo Kamakshi Devi Aamuki me Vansham Kuru Kuru Swaha
(Love mantra that I prefer using and I take out the word Aamuki and place the name of the person that I care for in place of it.)

Om Namo Kamakshi Devi (name of the guy I care for) me Vansham Kuru Kuru Swaha

so it’s cause a tiny spark but still don’t understand why the guy I love isn’t corresponding with me with email the way he was...~LoL~

Sat Patim Dehi Parameshawara is way too weak for my taste that why I chose the one up there....my preference of course & I chant it with great care. I don’t chant mantras all willy nilly either.

Can anyone well versed in chanting mantras tell me what I am doing wrong, is my focus getting weak (cause I don’t feel that is has) and I don’t know about it? Are the mantras spelled wrong? I take great care with chanting these mantras carefully and lately my roll of good fortune with these have kind of dwindled.... :( help anyone please? was doing decently till things just halted out of nowhere?

Any help regarding the question about my mantras and their formulas are tremendously appreciated. I believe in mantras with my entire heart and soul I refuse to stop chanting for fear of all my prayers coming undone...thank you again.:)

Thanks.

yajvan
09 February 2009, 05:35 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

Namasté

In the beginning, people find their way to mantra repetition (japa¹) out of need. Over time this develops from need into adoration.
From taking to giving.

The first words of the rig (ṛk or ṛc) veda are
agnim īḷe purohitam yajñasys devam rtvijam |

Agni I adore ...

praṇām

words

japa जप - ' muttering , whispering' - there is external, and there's internal or ajapā.

MahaHrada
10 February 2009, 10:05 AM
In the beginning, people find their way to mantra repetition (japa¹) out of need. Over time this develops from need into adoration.
From taking to giving.

The first words of the rig (ṛk or ṛc) veda are
agnim īḷe purohitam yajñasys devam rtvijam |

Agni I adore ...
It is a very unconventional attitude to allow the practice of kamya prayogas as introductory steps leading to a more serious spiritual practice.

Looking at the diverse shastric injunctions concerned with this matter, all application of kamya prayogas must at least be preceded by the daily practice of the respective nitya karmas that have been prescribed for the devata the prayoga is concernend with. The Nitya Karmas, which preferable should be done in a spirit of nishkamya karma, as well as the optional kamya prayogas should only be done after appropriate mantra diksha and advice by a sadguru.

I have never heard of an injuction in any shastra whether vedic or tantrokta, that recommends the practice of any kamya prayogas or even tantrokta shatkarmas,(like Vashikarana) prior to the regular nitya karmas with mantras taken from books or the internet. Ignoring these basic rules of mantra shastra can never lead to proper sadhana or upasana.

On the contrary following such a reversed course of action is conventionally considered a very improper action in all varieties of bharata dharma including the nastika darshanas, like jaina and baudhha, because it tends to accumulate negativity (papa).

I am only a westerner and I sincerely dislike to be in a situation where i feel urged to give advice to Hindus on how to practice their own religion, and wish to apologize for this intrusion.

telltale777
10 February 2009, 10:37 AM
It is a very unconventional attitude to allow the practice of kamya prayogas as introductory steps leading to a more serious spiritual practice.

Looking at the diverse shastric injunctions concerned with this matter, all application of kamya prayogas must at least be preceded by the daily practice of the respective nitya karmas that have been prescribed for the devata the prayoga is concernend with. The Nitya Karmas, which preferable should be done in a spirit of nishkamya karma, as well as the optional kamya prayogas should only be done after appropriate mantra diksha and advice by a sadguru.

I have never heard of an injuction in any shastra whether vedic or tantrokta, that recommends the practice of any kamya prayogas or even tantrokta shatkarmas,(like Vashikarana) prior to the regular nitya karmas with mantras taken from books or the internet. Ignoring these basic rules of mantra shastra can never lead to proper sadhana or upasana.

On the contrary following such a reversed course of action is conventionally considered a very improper action in all varieties of bharata dharma including the nastika darshanas, like jaina and baudhha, because it tends to accumulate negativity (papa).

I am only a westerner and I sincerely dislike to be in a situation where i feel urged to give advice to Hindus on how to practice their own religion, and wish to apologize for this intrusion.

Please no disrespect, but I did not understand one word in your reply back to my question, I only started chanting mantras 3 years ago very successfully to repair my health (I am really still trying to learn the rules/regulations on how I should chant/recite mantras correctly (respectfully the way I always do).

Are you upset about the fact that I am asking on how to approach Vashikaran type mantras or are these mantras not hindu related matras? I'm really not understanding what your saying. If your upset/angry with me I apologize I am just trying to get a correct ritual on how to approach the Vashikaran type mantras correctly (which seem to be a secret set/society of mantras) only gurus are allowed to give advice on, I meant in no way to offend you.

MahaHrada
10 February 2009, 10:54 AM
Please no disrespect, but I did not understand one word in your reply back to my question, I only started chanting mantras 3 years ago very successfully to repair my health (I am really still trying to learn the rules/regulations on how I should chant/recite mantras correctly (respectfully the way I always do).

Are you upset about the fact that I am asking on how to approach Vashikaran type mantras or are these mantras not hindu related matras? I'm really not understanding what your saying. If your upset/angry with me I apologize I am just trying to get a correct ritual on how to approach the Vashikaran type mantras correctly (which seem to be a secret set/society of mantras) only gurus are allowed to give advice on, I meant in no way to offend you.

I wasn´t replying to your question, but only commenting on the response.

If you like to approach the mantra shastra correctly i recommend the guidance of a sadguru. Mantras generally should best not be taken from books or the internet but from a Guru. Use of Stotras, Namasmarana and puja or prayer would be the correct approach when you are without a Guru.
As far as i know the Shiva panchakshari and Krishna mahamantra are the only mantras that can be used properly without Guru and diksha.

yajvan
10 February 2009, 05:00 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

Namasté telltale777

Many have different opinions on the question you have posed to this forum. You have asked a reasonable question so be of good cheer and not to worry with some of the responses, just be simple about it.

I first was introduced to Thomas Ashley-Farrand's work (and spoke with him) in the early 90's. His dedication and one-pointedness to his tasks are to be commended. For me I have taken a different course, but support any positive influence that can be brought to this good earth and that is Ashley's intent.

The key to mantra's is that of their use - they are the sound form of the devatā one is invoking. What am I implying? IMHO it is to one's advantage to avoid window shopping. My teacher would always say we only dig one well at a time. If one has a guru ( as MahaHrada has advised) all is well with the world and guidence is there. Yet if the native takes up a mantra and some good comes of it, there is wisdom to stay with that sound and find out more and more about that sound and who owns it.

This goes to my point on adoration I made above; over time the routine of meditation (the mechanics of it) turns into adoration.
With that adoration there are those impulses in the Universe that are there to assist us all. If one is 'shopping' then that growth period of the devatā and the devotee, the bhakti भक्ति ( fondness, devotion, relationship, spiritual bond, adoration ) does not have a chance to blossom.

What am I talking about?
Please read this HDF post on help for the sādhu:

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3663 (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3663) as it lays out the idea and will assist you in your understanding.

You will also find on HDF:

Different mantra-s have different uses
There are different types of gurus
The levels of consciousness that may unfold with practice, their definitons and in-depth discussions
Different approaches to meditation and techniques.
You will also see a plethora of opinions and views - this is healthy as long as it remains positive. Once jalpa (argumentative debate for the sake of winning and not moving the conversation forward), then that time is much less enjoyable. I myself just do not participate in it.Look around a bit , there is a wealth of information here on HDF.

praṇām

MahaHrada
10 February 2009, 07:35 PM
but support any positive influence that can be brought to this good earth

"Vashikarana" is one of the tantric Shatkarmas and it is about enslaving someone else by paranormal or occult means, in this case by using a special mantra for japa.

The japa for the purpose of Vashikarana when solely done for the gratificating of personal desires or wishes, cannot be generally considered a positive influence.

Mantra can have a positive influence but also a negative, we should discriminate between these possibilities.

Doing mantra japa for purposes of any of the tantric shatkarmas, without guru kripa and protection of a parampara and sound advice of a sadguru, is certainly not a course of action anyone should recommend.

yajvan
10 February 2009, 07:56 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

Namasté

As I have mentioned and stay by my words, I support any waves of positivity that are brought to this good earth.

If one uses something for self-serving (ill) reasons I cannot control this and they will reap what they sew.
If there are others that think otherwise, then so be it - I cannot speak for them.

praṇām

MahaHrada
11 February 2009, 02:50 AM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

Namasté

As I have mentioned and stay by my words, I support any waves of positivity that are brought to this good earth.

If one uses something for self-serving (ill) reasons I cannot control this and they will reap what they sew.
If there are others that think otherwise, then so be it - I cannot speak for them.

praṇām

The question was about how to use a certain mantra for vashikarana and your reaction is overall encouragement. I fail to see anything positive.

But as i said before i apologize for intrusion since i am no one to judge, if an encouragement is what you think is the correct approach and according to Hindu dharma and the shastras, i feel sort of helpless.

atanu
11 February 2009, 05:40 AM
But I would like to learn more about this Vashikaran Mantra (how many times a day do I need to chant this mantra in a 40 or is it 90 day period?

I get this mantra has a formula and when I ask about it many folks gave a many varying answers -----)
------still don’t understand why the guy I love isn’t corresponding with me with email the way he was...~LoL~

Can anyone well versed in chanting mantras tell me what I am doing wrong, is my focus getting weak (cause I don’t feel that is has) and I don’t know about it? Are the mantras spelled wrong? I take great care with chanting these mantras carefully and lately my roll of good fortune with these have kind of dwindled.... :( help anyone please? was doing decently till things just halted out of nowhere?

Any help regarding the question about my mantras and their formulas are tremendously appreciated. I believe in mantras with my entire heart and soul I refuse to stop chanting for fear of all my prayers coming undone...thank you again.:)
Thanks.

Dear Telltale,

In my office there used to be a friend who wore 10 rings on 10 fingers, each ring to propitiate some diety. He was always afraid of something or other, because his natal Sun was positioned in his 12 th house. Once, a knowledgable person saw the stones on my friend's fingers and asked "How do you know that the stones are not inhibiting you?"

IMO, so with mantras which purportedly promise to benefit the practicer in some material way.

Similarly, I ask: How do you know whether the person whom you wish to control through mantra is good or bad for you? God's grace would grant you what is due to you or would save you from an evil influence, simply if you made a silent prayer and left it at His discretion.

I agree with Yajvan ji that one starts with desire but slowly begins to adore the diety and then goes on to understand that the true grace is silence of the mind (desirelessness). Yet, as no one (except Self realised Gurus or Tantrik Masters) know the efficacy (and also the baneful effects) of Kamya mantras, these should not be encouraged.

--------------
I know some people who get entrance to Balaji temple in Tirupati by paying hefty sums at the door. Some others stand in que to get the darshan. Similarly with mantras. When there are simple prayers for adoring God (who leads to never ceasing bliss), why should one choose/seek a mantra whereby one gains an uncertain goal which may be OK or which may be disastrous? The latter course is surely a mistake as happens with those in distress and/or due to greed but with time good sense prevails.

Om

telltale777
11 February 2009, 08:21 AM
"Vashikarana" is one of the tantric Shatkarmas and it is about enslaving someone else by paranormal or occult means, in this case by using a special mantra for japa.

The japa for the purpose of Vashikarana when solely done for the gratificating of personal desires or wishes, cannot be generally considered a positive influence.

Mantra can have a positive influence but also a negative, we should discriminate between these possibilities.

Doing mantra japa for purposes of any of the tantric shatkarmas, without guru kripa and protection of a parampara and sound advice of a sadguru, is certainly not a course of action anyone should recommend.

MahaHrada your heavy tone suggests that I should stay completely away from this mantra altogether unless I have the assistance/guidance & protection of a guru kripa I hear you I really do. But I reap what I sow and I've already sown & seen the slowest results of my 40 day discipline of this chant that I already performed and I must say scaring me into NOT doing is really does nothing for me. You might take my course of action foolish or careless but I say that it helped me get this gentleman's attention to grow that a tiny bit more attentive towards me and guess what he is right for me but he is extremely shy man and all I wanted to do is give him a tiny nudge.

You act as though my sole purpose is to perform a voodoo spell on him and wait for him to have his way with me or have him ask me to marry him. Love is not to be rushed (and no I don't feel in any way that the Vashikaran mantra has done that) but guess what I am a willing to take any consequences that come with this mantra.

But this is what I mean when I meant when I said that no one is willing to part with the ritual/correct formula of the number of chants or the type of mala beads needed to manifest the goal of the vashikaran mantra (which I know are just focusing tools but I still would like to approach this mantra with much care as I can without getting crucified for test driving it out)....I feel again that everyone is keeping this mantra shrouded in mystery until one feels I am ready to use it which is horsefeathers to me. But I already found out that I might need to chant it at least a 100,000x times in a 90 day discipline for it to remotely feel or see the effects fully.

But again MahaHrada I thank you so much for being the voice of reason in this thread albeit I will try and take what you said with a grain of salt form discouraging me to use this mantra for my own personal gratification is the way you put it not the way I see it. Sorry to ruffle your feathers but thanks for your input on here.

telltale777
11 February 2009, 08:32 AM
Dear Telltale,

In my office there used to be a friend who wore 10 rings on 10 fingers, each ring to propitiate some diety. He was always afraid of something or other, because his natal Sun was positioned in his 12 th house. Once, a knowledgable person saw the stones on my friend's fingers and asked "How do you know that the stones are not inhibiting you?"

IMO, so with mantras which purportedly promise to benefit the practicer in some material way.

Similarly, I ask: How do you know whether the person whom you wish to control through mantra is good or bad for you? God's grace would grant you what is due to you or would save you from an evil influence, simply if you made a silent prayer and left it at His discretion.

I agree with Yajvan ji that one starts with desire but slowly begins to adore the diety and then goes on to understand that the true grace is silence of the mind (desirelessness). Yet, as no one (except Self realised Gurus or Tantrik Masters) know the efficacy (and also the baneful effects) of Kamya mantras, these should not be encouraged.

--------------
I know some people who get entrance to Balaji temple in Tirupati by paying hefty sums at the door. Some others stand in que to get the darshan. Similarly with mantras. When there are simple prayers for adoring God (who leads to never ceasing bliss), why should one choose/seek a mantra whereby one gains an uncertain goal which may be OK or which may be disastrous? The latter course is surely a mistake as happens with those in distress and/or due to greed but with time good sense prevails.

Om

Atanu like MahaHrada I thank you for your pearls of wisdom as well but a simple pray to wish the one I love to come to me falls on deaf ears....been doing that for 30+ years its time that I take action for my life and not wait by the sidelines for it to happen to me. I know this gentleman is the RIGHT guy for me & that is why I have chose the vashikaran mantra to give me that extra nudge.

I apologize if my goals seem tremendously greedy & uncertain to you but again I am willing to deal with the baneful effects/fallouts as you put out there to discourage me from attempting this mantra, no worries I've heard the stories of spells gone wrong that women cast to get the man of their dreams only to end up with a toad ~LoL~. Sure I know that could happen to me but guess what I have 2 eyes wide open waiting to bail on any disaster should it strike, I reap the effects of I sow, so far I sowed an email from my guy after 40 days of chanting this mantra...and guess what, he didn't profess an ounce of love just asked me to meet him for coffee (OMG the sky will be falling now ~LoL~) All this mantra has done is given me a sliver of hope where I had none before. All I am trying very hard to do is get a set formula/ritual on how to perform and how many times to chant this mantra...cause chanting it a 108x a day twice a day for 40 days didn't make such a dent....

Again thank you for you words Atanu and your concern I appreciate it.

MahaHrada
11 February 2009, 09:18 AM
MahaHrada your heavy tone suggests that I should stay completely away from this mantra altogether unless I have the assistance/guidance & protection of a guru kripa I hear you I really do. But I reap what I sow and I've already sown & seen the slowest results of my 40 day discipline of this chant that I already performed and I must say scaring me into NOT doing is really does nothing for me. You might take my course of action foolish or careless but I say that it helped me get this gentleman's attention to grow that a tiny bit more attentive towards me and guess what he is right for me but he is extremely shy man and all I wanted to do is give him a tiny nudge.

You act as though my sole purpose is to perform a voodoo spell on him and wait for him to have his way with me or have him ask me to marry him. Love is not to be rushed (and no I don't feel in any way that the Vashikaran mantra has done that) but guess what I am a willing to take any consequences that come with this mantra.

But this is what I mean when I meant when I said that no one is willing to part with the ritual/correct formula of the number of chants or the type of mala beads needed to manifest the goal of the vashikaran mantra (which I know are just focusing tools but I still would like to approach this mantra with much care as I can without getting crucified for test driving it out)....I feel again that everyone is keeping this mantra shrouded in mystery until one feels I am ready to use it which is horsefeathers to me. But I already found out that I might need to chant it at least a 100,000x times in a 90 day discipline for it to remotely feel or see the effects fully.

But again MahaHrada I thank you so much for being the voice of reason in this thread albeit I will try and take what you said with a grain of salt form discouraging me to use this mantra for my own personal gratification is the way you put it not the way I see it. Sorry to ruffle your feathers but thanks for your input on here.

I already wrote that and will write it again. Please do not misunderstand me. I am not talking about you. I am not concernend at all about you or your plans, and never intended to give any personal advice to you. You will do what you do.
By the way i am not at all in the position to give any advices to anybody on the internet and i am not aspiring for such things.
Except when you asked me i told you that mantra shastra is traditionally studied better with a Guru not from books or the Internet. You should not be concerned about the rest of what i wrote it was directed towards a discussion of a more general idea. Which is what does the shastra tell us about mantra and prayogas?
Since this group is called Hindu Dharma Forum i thought it might be good if there was at least some mentioning of the traditional shastric injunctions and rules and the qualifications that are needed for someone aspiring to be a sadhaka practicing tantrokta or vaidika Prayogas and Shatkarmas.

atanu
11 February 2009, 09:32 AM
--- but a simple pray to wish the one I love to come to me falls on deaf ears....been doing that for 30+ years its time that I take action for my life ----.

Namaste telltale,

Your goal is not greedy. However, if you are sure of your man and you love the man then it may be better to simply talk to him and let him know. Just analyze this. You say that you do not want to sit in the sideline, yet what you are doing with chanting a mantra? Are you still not sitting in the sideline with a vague hope? Take action by all means and that means be straight forward -- bashikaran etc. is not required. Moreover, frankly I cannot make out the meaning of the particular bashikaran mantra (Om Namo Kamakshi Devi Aamuki me Vansham Kuru Kuru Swaha) that you have cited. Have you been told of the meaning?

Think of this in another way. If some one successfully played bashikaran mantra on you and induced you to do an abominable act, would you love that?

Too much craving for any thing is not approved in Hinduism and using a mantra for this purpose is truly beyond me -- I cannot suggest it for any young brother or sister. If a certain desired outcome does not happen with a simple keen prayer to God, then know that God loves you.

I am not discouraging you. I think you should get what you deserve and it should match to what you wish for. And such a match happens more easily with Gayatri Mantra chanting. My sincere best wishes for you.

Om Namah Shivaya

saidevo
11 February 2009, 10:19 AM
Namaste telltale777.

I don't consider myself qualified to give advice on healing or vashIkaraNa mantras, but I should like to correct the pronunciation of one the mantras you have given:

Om Apa-damapa, Hataram Dataram, Sarva Sampadam, Loki Bhi Ramam, Sri Ramam, Bhuyo Bhuyo Namam-yaham
Translation:
Om. O most compassionate Rama. Please send your healing energy right here to the Earth, to the Earth. Salutations.

(the best healing mantra ever written, kind of long but god it worked such a miracle for me, took less than a week to master the pronunciation)

The correct text of the mantra is:

ApadAm apahartAram dAtAram sarvasaMpadAm |
lokAbhirAmam shrIrAmam bhUyo bhUyo namAmyaham ||
--(ITRANS and Baraha transliteration schemes)

It reads thus in Sanskrit script:

आपदाम् अपहर्तारम् दातारम् सर्वसंपदाम् ।
लोकाभिरामम् श्रीरामम् भूयो भूयो नमाम्यहम् ॥

And the correct meaning of the verse is:

"I bow again and again to Shree Rama who removes (all) obstacles and grants all wealth and pleases all."

ApadAm - obstacles, misfortunes, calamities; apahartAram - removing, stealing, carrying off; dAtAram - gives, bestows; sarva - all; saMpadAm - wealth, success, accomplishment; lokAbhirAmam - pleases all the people; shrIrAmam - ShrI Rama; bhUyo bhUyo - again and again; namAmyaham - I bow to.

This is a salutation offered at the start of reading any scripture as per tradition. This prayer is for removing all obstacles encountered. The prefix Sri to Rama indicates that Rama is always accompanied by Sri, His consort Seetha in the form of goddess Sri Maha Lakshmi. (http://www.valmikiramayan.net/)

This mantra is listed as the 35th verse in the Rama Raksha Stotra. You can listen to the audio of this song at http://msabhiblog.blogspot.com/2009/01/rama-raksha-stotra-lyrics-and-video.html

telltale777
11 February 2009, 03:51 PM
Namaste telltale777.

I don't consider myself qualified to give advice on healing or vashIkaraNa mantras, but I should like to correct the pronunciation of one the mantras you have given:

It reads thus in Sanskrit script:

आपदाम् अपहर्तारम् दातारम् सर्वसंपदाम् ।
लोकाभिरामम् श्रीरामम् भूयो भूयो नमाम्यहम् ॥

And the correct meaning of the verse is:

"I bow again and again to Shree Rama who removes (all) obstacles and grants all wealth and pleases all."

ApadAm - obstacles, misfortunes, calamities; apahartAram - removing, stealing, carrying off; dAtAram - gives, bestows; sarva - all; saMpadAm - wealth, success, accomplishment; lokAbhirAmam - pleases all the people; shrIrAmam - ShrI Rama; bhUyo bhUyo - again and again; namAmyaham - I bow to.

This is a salutation offered at the start of reading any scripture as per tradition. This prayer is for removing all obstacles encountered. The prefix Sri to Rama indicates that Rama is always accompanied by Sri, His consort Seetha in the form of goddess Sri Maha Lakshmi. (http://www.valmikiramayan.net/)

This mantra is listed as the 35th verse in the Rama Raksha Stotra. You can listen to the audio of this song at http://msabhiblog.blogspot.com/2009/01/rama-raksha-stotra-lyrics-and-video.html

Thank you Saidevo but the spelling/pronunciation of that mantra I found in a book called Healing Mantras by Thomas Ashely Farrand and believe me I appreciate your input but that's not the mantra I am inquiring or have trouble chanting. That mantra saved my life. But thank you all the same.

yajvan
11 February 2009, 05:24 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

Namasté
Some may be reading the posts above but wonder what is at the core of the conversation? If I may let me offer the following as I see it.

Some say there are 70 million mantra-s; This is called out in the Mālinīvijayottara tantra (1.18). Later the book calls out that Śiva has appointed 35 million mantras for use. Others say each word of the veda is a mantra ( which is true when one understands the word in full) . In any case there are many more mantras available then one individual may make use of.

Now, there is a body of knowledge called mantra-śastra. Within that body there is ṣaḍkarma ( some write ṣaṭkarma) - 6 actions or intent (purpose) of mantra-s. Are there others? Yes, but for this string the 6 matches the conversation-set at this time.

Here are the 6

śānti शान्ति- peace. Mantra-s for general well being, and removing one from the cycle of rebirth.
vaśīkāran or vaśīkāra वशीकार - bringing into control; subjugation; We see the word vaśī + kāra : vaśī or holding others in submission to the will + kāra making , doing , working , a maker ; Some may call this vidheya - to make obedient.
This was called out above . Mantra-s used to captivate another with-or-without their knowing.
stambhanam or stambha स्तम्भ - fixedness , stiffness , rigidity ,paralysis , stupefaction . This is for creating obstructions.
vidveśana विद्वेशन vid + veśana: vid to get or procure for + veśana - that act of entering ; one can consider veśī or piercing.
This mantra type creates a split ( or difference ~ dissention) between others ( people, groups, etc).
ucchatanā ucca + tanā : ucca उच्च is high , lofty , elevated , yet also intense , violent + tanā तन uninterrupted succession ; This mantra type is for creating aversion between others ( people, groups, etc.)
marana or mara मर dying , death. From this word you can see this mantra type is death-causing.As mentioned I support the uplifting approach , śānti. The benefits go to the practitioner and the environment. It brings a life-supporting influence to the family of man. This is how I was taught and I stay with the program.

There are those that may use some of the approaches mentioned above. That has been the jest of the conversation. Some may be using a mantra and not know its influence and this can bring the wrong influence (cause mischief) , even though the intent was well-meant. Others may be using a mantra with no results, it is dead. What do I mean?

Mantra-s need to be enlivened , brought to life and there are multiple 'features' to this which I choose not to lay out. But that said, the value of receiving a mantra from a proper instructor ( teacher, guru, etc.) is of great value; Given by the guru this enlivening process has been accomplished and the mantra is ready for application.

What is needed is the proper application and purascarana (number of repetitions) for siddhi ( sidh = to turn out well i.e. success).
This is the value of teacher-student ( guru-śiṣya ) relationship, as the guru brings the knowledge of the paramparā (tradition, lineage) to use in the proper mantra application.

praṇām

yajvan
11 February 2009, 07:23 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

Namasté

saidevo writes,

telltale777 writes,

Translation:

Note that both mantra-s are equal , but in text look different. Telltale777's mantra is taken from Thomas Ashley-Farrand's book ( page 123, 1996 addition is the one I possess). He, Thomas Ashley-Farrand, has written it out for those new to mantra-s can pronounce out each word-sound. That is why he shows the mantra with simple breaks shown above i.e. words for easier comprehension.

Hence other then the fomat look-n-feel telltale777 starts with Om ( oṁ ॐ ), and also writes 'Loki', yet in Thomas Ashley-Farrand's
book he has 'Loka' ( as mentioned I am viewing page 123, 1996 addition).

Both Mantra's are the same, yet different meanings come out… how can this be? A key word that makes the translations different is bhUyo ( as saidevo wites it) and Bhuyo offered by telltale777.
Lets take a look.

bhu भु - is becoming , being, existing.
bhū भू ( note the long u which sounds out like oo as in pool) - becoming , being , existing , springing , arising; and bhū also means (when feminine) earth (as a substance) , ground , soil , land , lauded property .Hence in telltale777's version , Thomas Ashley-Farrand is seeing it as 'earth' i.e. 'Please send your healing energy right here to the Earth, to the Earth'.

Now lets look at bhUyo as per saidevo.
bhUyo is the ITRANS method for writing bhūyo भूयो. Now what of this bhūyo?

bhūyo भूयो means or is equal to bhūyas भूयस्.
bhūyas means 'becoming' … due to its root in bhū, yet it also means ' once more', 'still more' - and from this we get saidevo's 'again and again'.Hence some see differences, but with a deeper look we can find sameness ( samā).

praṇām

Hiwaunis
11 February 2009, 09:06 PM

(OK this one I tried chanting it for (3) 40 day periods and it didn’t work for me AT ALL was looking for an abundance of a 2 or 3 job(s) so I can pay my hospital bills, don’t understand how this one didn’t work. :(

This mantra is good to use when you are struggling financially. It is also good for bringing about spiritual abundance.

Now my question is lately my mantras have lost there strength of working fully. I've been trying to find a job for 3 years, and so far I’m getting nowhere with some other mantras I have incorporated in my praying rituals....

Pranam Telltale,

For a little financial help I started chanting:
Om Shreem, Reem Shreem. Kamalee, Kamalalay Praseed Praseed. Om Shreem, Reem Shreem Maha Laxmi Namah.
I found info on the web that this mantra has to be chanted 125,000 times.

When I first heard that mantra I thought it was absolutey beautiful. At first I started chanting and I loved it. I would chant in front of Maha Laxmi picture and circle the light. Later I started feeling selfish. Chanting to get to 125k started to seem like work. After doing only 10,000 I became disgusted with myself and stopped.

I realize the need to support myself. Keeping a chart and counting using a mala made me question my faith. I needed a job. The rent was due in 2 weeks and I had nothing. I was chanting while begging Mata Laxmi for help. I felt fear of being homeless in 2 weeks, disgust and anger in having to beg my Beloved God for money. I was thinking that money should just be given to me. I shouldn't have to beg for it! After all I am a good person. Yea, I was an emotional wreak! Something (a little voice) told me that this was not the way to show love and respect towards God. Have faith.

I started chanting Om and regain my mental stability. I decided to face whatever what may come. The next day I went and talked to the apartment manager.

Om Shanti

atanu
11 February 2009, 10:28 PM
Pranam Telltale,

I started chanting Om and regain my mental stability. I decided to face whatever what may come. The next day I went and talked to the apartment manager.

Om Shanti

:iagree:

saidevo
11 February 2009, 11:57 PM
Namaste Yajvan.

There is no doubt as to the healing efficacy of the 'ApadAm' mantra. My doubt is only as to its meaning as given by Thomas Ashley-Farrand.

Firstly, the mantra is found as the 35th verse of Sri Rama Raksha Stotram, a Hindu-Sanskrit prayer composed by the saint Budha Koushika, who quotes from other great stotras. (http://www.hindupedia.com/en/Sri_Rama_Raksha_Stotram)

Note that both mantra-s are equal , but in text look different. Telltale777's mantra is taken from Thomas Ashley-Farrand's book ( page 123, 1996 addition is the one I possess). He, Thomas Ashley-Farrand, has written it out for those new to mantra-s can pronounce out each word-sound. That is why he shows the mantra with simple breaks shown above i.e. words for easier comprehension.

I don't think the meaning given by Thomas Ashley-Farrand matches with the words or phrases of the mantra as he has given or even otherwise. This is how he gives the meaning in his Website http://www.sanskritmantra.com/simple.htm :

Om Apadamapa Hataram Dataram Sarva Sampadam
Loka Bhi Ramam Sri Rama Bhuyo Bhuyo Namamyaham

The very rough translation is, 'Om, Oh most compassionate Rama please send your healing energy right here to the earth, to the earth (twice for emphasis.)'

I am not able to find an audio file of the mantra as Thomas Ashley-Farrand would have it chanted, but assuming that the correct intonations are maintained, the following could be the phrase and word match of the version as he has given:

Apadaam - no match in the given meaning;
this is actually the sandhi extension of term 'Apat' which means 'hasten towards, rush in, assail, fall out, happen' (thus indicating an accident, emergency, danger or allfliction).

(apa)Haataram - 'healing energy'? The term 'apahata' only means 'destroyed, warded off' (MWD). The term 'hAta' means 'given up, abandoned'. If it is 'hata', it would mean 'struck by lightning, injured, beaten, visited or afflicted, tormented by, (sexually) violated, ruined, undone, worthless, defective, deprive of, killing, hurting...'

The actual phrase of the mantra is 'apahartAram'--not 'apa Hataram'. 'apa' is the prefix meaning 'away, off, back' and 'harta' means to 'destroy, seize, take'.

Some versions give the term 'hantAram', from the verb 'hant' meaning 'destroy, strike down, kill'. The Sanskrit text of the Rama Raksha Stotra, however, has only the word 'apahartAram' (http://sanskritdocuments.org/all_pdf/rraksha.pdf)

daataram - give, 'send', bestow (this seems to be right)
sarva sampadam - this phrase could match with 'healing energy' though it literally means 'all the wealth', because the very word 'wealth' derives from 'weal' (well-being, welfare).

loka bhi ramam sri rama - 'Oh most compassionate Rama'? The term 'loka' means 'world, people'; 'abhirAma' means 'pleasing, beautiful, agreeable' which is not the same as 'compassionate'. 'shrI rAmam' indicates that Rama who is Vishnu, is always accompanied by his consort Sita, who is Lakshmi.

bhuyo bhuyo - 'bhu' may mean 'earth, becoming, being, arising, springing' but the phrase intended here by the author of the stotra Budha Koushika is only 'bhUyo bhUyo'. Now, the term 'bhUyo' is derived from 'bhUyas', which means here 'again, once more, still more, first-then-next, abound, becoming in a greater degree'.

namamyaham - salutations.

Thus, fhe following points emerge from the foregoing:

• Sri Rama, of course, is extremely compassionate but this meaning does not figure in the mantra.

• A prayer for healing is usually personal, chanted either by the afflicted or by an agent. A personal prayer usually does not ask the deity prayed to 'send your healing energy right here to the Earth'; instead, it supplicates for personal healing.

• Thomas Ashley-Farrand might have an impressive spiritual record and perhaps be a mystic, but his Website (http://www.sanskritmantra.com/)is commercial (there is nothing wrong with it, though I would prefer much more 'freebies' as in the Website of Divine Life Society or that of Swami Krishnananda). His audio works and mantra dispensations for healing might have very good effects, but he cannot and should not have "very rough translation" of the mantras he dispenses, tailoring the meaning to suit his needs.

• This brings us to the valid point MahaHrada has made repeatedly: proper chanting of the mantras cannot be had from books and the Internet, but best from a guru. Where a guru is not in sight, mantras should be had from authentic audio chantings given by Hindu scholars. I invariably find the audio chants of Western scholars lacking in clarity and depth, because they pronounce Sanskrit words in the way the English words are spoken, usually with undesirable slurs. If a Brahmin pupil in a Vedic Pathashala does not pronounce a Sanskrit word with the correct sound and intonation, the teacher usually chides him with the words, 'Burn your tongue with dharba grass, only then it will be rid of the slurs!" Such is the clarity required of Sanskrit pronunciation.

If sound and intonation is not important in mantra, one can as well pray with just its meaning.

I am not against the efforts of any Western Hindu gurus. I only insist that they keep up the Hindu traditional forms, expressions and meanings in whatever they seek to do.

devotee
12 February 2009, 12:06 AM
Dear telltale,

It is difficult for me to realise your pains which is driving you towards the shelter of these wish-fulfilling Mantras.

Yajvanji, Atanu, Saideo & MahaHrada have given nice inputs & advice. I tend to support what they have said. Mantras that lead you to stay focussed on the thought of God (by any name, it doesn't really matter) are good Mantras. However, Mantras that are for fulifilling our desires focus our thoughts to our desires & there is hidden danger.

As you believe in Hinduism, you have to believe in Karma theory. Nothing comes to us by sheer chance. We must reap what we sow. There are Tantrik methods by which you may get something what you desperately want ... but it is like spending all your accumulated wealth for fulfilling your immediate desires & leaving nothing for the future. It normally proves too costly. I am saying this based on what I was told by someone who had the experience of a lot of such Mantras & was a well known faith healer in the area.

I will advise you not to fall into this trap. Pray to God with deep devotion & ask for help as His Child. Whatever you will get, will be the best for you, as it will be decided by God. Don't force your desire upon him to fufil. You are His child, he loves you & you have every right to ask any legitimate thing from HIM.

I will like to advice one more thing which works :

Before you meditate on God, spend a little time to forgive yourself, your parents, your friends, foes & everything in this world ... truly from bottom of your heart. Then meditate on God in whatever form or with whatever name you like ... when your concentration is deep, you may tell your difficulties to Him.

----------------------

If you think I am discouraging you. It is ok. I am concerned about you. May God help you ! :)

OM

atanu
12 February 2009, 01:56 AM
Dear telltale,

As you believe in Hinduism, you have to believe in Karma theory. Nothing comes to us by sheer chance. We must reap what we sow. There are Tantrik methods by which you may get something what you desperately want ... but it is like spending all your accumulated wealth for fulfilling your immediate desires & leaving nothing for the future. It normally proves too costly.
OM

Namaste Devotee,

I think this is the key point in this discussion. Nice.

If sound and intonation is not important in mantra, one can as well pray with just its meaning.

Namaskar saidevoji,

It is of utmost importance to keep the purity of intonation, yet I think no two sadhus will have exactly the same intonation. This is however, not to support the western pronouciation of sanskrit as correct but to indicate that with a wrong intonation one must not alter the meaning of the words.

Moreover, there is a verse in Rig Veda on Vac, wherein a sadhu who masters and leaves the vac behind for his singer friends and proceeds on with the silent understanding is lauded. I think that correct intonation and correct understanding both are required but finally Vac does not reach Him (of course I am assuming that the goal is to reach Him whereas telltale's goal is not that as of now).

There is a story in Satapatha Brahamana. Dieties were striving very long with various yagnas and pujas but still failed to attain their goal of immoratlity. Then Prajapati taught them that the dieties were not building Prajapati as the whole.

All the efforts of the divinities were fine and correct, yet they did not understand all pervasive and all inclusive Prajapati.

The most important aspect of Yoga and Mantra Japa is their emphasis on effortlessness and in this aspect hindu methods are almost 180 degrees apart from the western methods. Correct intonation and correct breathing are very much the part of attaining the effortlessness -- and the agencies of the Self do the rest.

I feel sad that all these discussions may not make telltale happy.

Om

MahaHrada
12 February 2009, 05:47 AM
śānti शान्ति- peace. Mantra-s for general well being, and removing one from the cycle of rebirth.As mentioned I support the uplifting approach , śānti. The benefits go to the practitioner and the environment. It brings a life-supporting influence to the family of man. This is how I was taught and I stay with the program.

There are those that may use some of the approaches mentioned above. That has been the jest of the conversation. Some may be using a mantra and not know its influence and this can bring the wrong influence (cause mischief) , even though the intent was well-meant. Others may be using a mantra with no results, it is dead. What do I mean?

Mantra-s need to be enlivened , brought to life and there are multiple 'features' to this which I choose not to lay out. But that said, the value of receiving a mantra from a proper instructor ( teacher, guru, etc.) is of great value; Given by the guru this enlivening process has been accomplished and the mantra is ready for application.

What is needed is the proper application and purascarana (number of repetitions) for siddhi ( sidh = to turn out well i.e. success).
This is the value of teacher-student ( guru-śiṣya ) relationship, as the guru brings the knowledge of the paramparā (tradition, lineage) to use in the proper mantra application.

praṇāmThere are three subdivisons of ritual acts (karma) the first are the nitya karma, these are the regular daily procedures, then the naimittika which are the occassional procedures and last the kamya procedures which are acts with a specific purpose.

These kamya prayogas are different ways to deal with calamities and remove obstacles and increase prosperity and well being, which are legitimate aims when pursued within the boundary of ethics, therefore higher guidance and some spiritual achievement is recommended when one wants to truly benefit from, or practice such acts.

All the tantric six acts (shatkarmas), as well as the vedic or shrautra prayogas belong to the category of Kamya procedures and therefore do not lead to moksha or spiritual upliftment they are meant for attainment of specific worldly purposes or for the removal of prior sins or bad acts and other impurities.

All acts with a specific purpose can by definition not lead to moksha or atma jnana, shivatva or attainment of a higher non worldly goal. Only religious acts done without desire for fruits (nishkamya karma) will lead to such an inner attainment.

Kamya Prayogas are solely for worldly ends and are therefore always manipulative. Also so called Shanti procedures are meant to influence the situation in ones favour, pacify worldly strife, obstacles and enemies and attract peace, wealth and prosperity and meant to purify one from the obstacles caused by sins and misdeeds of the past.

Therefore the following statement is incorrect:

śānti शान्ति- peace. Mantra-s for general well being, and removing one from the cycle of rebirth.It is very important to understand that none of the shatkarmas, are meant to be directed towards achievement of moksha, freedom from rebirth or other uplifting spiritual aims, only sadhana done with an attitude free of desire (nishkamya) can remove one from rebirth.

Of course application of any of the shatkarmas requires a lot of discrimination and responsibility, it is dangerous and needs a lot of knowledge of the correct procedures, and therefore is best avoided especially by common people.

Achievement of peace in the community by removal of obstacles should be the primary objective of all application of shatkarmas not ones personal wishes, revenge greed or desires.

Concerning the need for a Guru

There is more to a Guru shishya parampara than the outer advantages of receiving an empowered mantra, with a correct intonation and valid instructions.

There is also an inner even more important difference between a mantra that is read and one that is received and transmitted , which is the presence of the anugraha shakti, the grace of shiva who is the primal guru, that rests only within a line of transmission of countless past masters of a spiritual tradition (Parampara) A mantra must be connected with its origin, which is the devata, through an uninterrupted transmission of its spiritual power its shakti, from guru to shisya to be rightfully called a Mantra, that really contains the sound body of a devata.

When one is acting in a guru shishya parampara one has the protection of the past masters of this lineage and their belessing and help. This is needed to fully benefit from the mantra and be protected from problems that can arise.

It is said that shiva manifests on earth in the form of guru, if you receive diksha or a mantra in a a valid guru parampara it means you receive it from the source of all mantras which is shiva.

It is a common misundertanding that anyone can take up any mantra from any source and profit from that, not only among westerners i guess.

satay
12 February 2009, 09:05 AM
Namaskar,

I was told that to receive a mantra the shisya should be close to guru such that he/she can feel the breath of the guru. I wasn't told the reason but gather that it might be so that the shakti of the mantra transfers to the shisya this way. Thus I conclude in my mind that not only the pronouciation or a guru-shisya relationship is requried but the purity and closeness of that relationship is of utmost importance. Yet, to be honest, I myself do japa of a mantra that I did not receive in such a fashion.

I have been silently reading these posts here and I tried hard not to partake in the discussion as I am not qualified to speak about any aspects of topic on hand.

Yet, I cannot help but feel that there must be something ethically and morally wrong with what the OP is trying to do with the one specific mantra she is using. Probably because I am ignorant of the proper use/reason of use of vasikarna mantras.

Perhaps we can start a new thread specifically for discussion on these types (vasikarna) of mantra and their moral, ethical usage?

telltale777
12 February 2009, 09:55 AM
I feel sad that all these discussions may not make telltale happy.

I buy one book 3 years ago called "Healing Mantras" by Thomas Ashley Farrand and already I am being critqiued on one letter that was printed incorrectly within the mantra. My reply to that is "If it ain't broke don't fix it." I've done 3 or 4 mantras for correcting/repairing my health and 2 or 3 mantras to open/unblock my roads to help me find a job & help me attain some money (yes I will go down into a firey hell for being selfish for using a mantra to help me gain monetary abundance ~LoL~ but at least I can afford to buy gas and food and medication I need), so far its been slow in happening but its turning the wheels of success my way albeit extremely slowly and I am good with that.

And guess what Atanu, you are 250% RIGHT not one of these replies except for Vajvan make me happy or help me understand why reciting/chanting the Vashikaran mantra is so evil. The more you shroud the mantra in mystery for novice like me the more I am incline to recite even further.

Saidevo, no need to worry or concern yourself dear heart about me & doing this mantra out of selfish need which may seem like it is to you but it is not to me. Praying to God for me is useless because he hasn't heard not one of my prayers for 30+ years, if a god heard me by now he wouldn't leave me close to homeless, without a job, with no health insurance and 3 years ago landed me in a hospital sick as a dog, a god like that doesn't put a mere human being through the wringer and watch them suffer for a gag & a laugh. This god has watched me do everything humanly possible to find a job, try and afford health insurance and keep my health from falling back where it did 3 years ago.....I help to help myself, NOT GOD as you so badly want to put my life in its so called hands, but enough of the way I feel about god and my opinion on him.
The mantras I've been reciting day in and out saved my life they are the ONLY faith ridden prayers I will utter when I am at my worst whenever those times are for me.

Now I would like to know why would anyone post these Vashikaran mantras out here online for a novice like me to experiment with Hmmmm any one have an answer to that?

http://www.kalki.ru/vashikaran-mantra-vashikaran-yantra-vashikaran-rosary-vasikaran-tilak/

http://www.aryabhatt.com/mantras/VASHIKARAN.htm

I already used one of the mantras to gain this specific gentleman's attention, I chanted the mantra for 40 days a 108x and I already received a package in the mail from him and an invitation to coffee.
Now that I've witnessed the results of this mantra because (Saidevo talking to him is like pulling teeth, been ther and done that more than a billion times) I feel more inclined to use this mantra and get him to connect with me further. And yes he is the right guy for me cause he and I have been circling each other for 5 years and this mantra should at least help me glue his attention towards me a bit more. And guess what good karma, so so karma, bad karma, I'm always in the thick of things anyway and if I am to suffer a fiery death to hell so be it. At least I die happy ~LoL~

I am still trying to figure out if I need to chant this mantra for 100,000x between a 40 or 90 day period or just chant it the regular 40 day discipline 108x a day? I wish I knew why this mantra is so darn heavily shrouded in secrecy that I have to wait for a guru to give me permission to use it.

But thank you you all from the bottom of my heart for trying to answer my questions even though I really did not understand one rule or regulation you guys posted out here for me reagarding mantras and their language as a whole. I just use the Healing Mantras book when I find myself in some trouble and chant till I feel comfortable in facing the situations I am left to deal with. I meditate even better when I chant myself into a peaceful frame of mind.

Thank you again to all who've replied and will keep on replying. Boy as a new member of this site I already feel I stirred this posting section real fast, sorry for any trouble I've cause or ruffled anyone's spiritual feathers.

yajvan
12 February 2009, 10:37 AM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

Namasté saidevo

There is no doubt as to the healing efficacy of the 'ApadAm' mantra. My doubt is only as to its meaning as given by Thomas Ashley-Farrand.

Firstly, the mantra is found as the 35th verse of Sri Rama Raksha Stotram, a Hindu-Sanskrit prayer composed by the saint Budha Koushika, who quotes from other great stotras. (http://www.hindupedia.com/en/Sri_Rama_Raksha_Stotram)

I don't think the meaning given by Thomas Ashley-Farrand matches with the words or phrases of the mantra as he has given or even otherwise. .

Yes I see your point - the translation you offered is on sure-footing.

My hopes was to point out why Thomas Ashley-Farrand perhaps chose a different translation. I hope I accomplished that.

For me the notion of 'again and again' aligns with my understanding.

I avoided bringing this up but will do so now... while the meaning of the mantra is of value ( and both translations are wholesome), it is
śabda , sound quality (śabd शब्द् = sound, invoke, to call , to be sounded) + chandas ( meter) + the devatā ( we know as śṛi rām) that brings the fruit of the mantra. There are other components that deal with the condition and readiness of the aspirant using the sound also , but we needn't go there for now.

We are talking sound (śabd) and form ( rūpa some may say svarūpa) + meaning ( vākyārtha).

Thank you again for your well-thoughtout posts. I hope to read more.

praṇām

atanu
12 February 2009, 01:28 PM
And guess what Atanu, you are 250% RIGHT not one of these replies except for Vajvan make me happy or help me understand why reciting/chanting the Vashikaran mantra is so evil. The more you shroud the mantra in mystery for novice like me the more I am incline to recite even further.

Namaste Dear Telltale,

I am sure that none of us have any intent to give you sadness. What appears to be bitter and harsh is not so. If you knew what vashikarana means and if you knew that someone was planning a vashikarana on you, I am sure you would have hated that person.

Now I would like to know why would anyone post these Vashikaran mantras out here online for a novice like me to experiment with Hmmmm any one have an answer to that?

http://www.kalki.ru/vashikaran-mantra-vashikaran-yantra-vashikaran-rosary-vasikaran-tilak/

Well. This is what is written in the page link. Please read it patiently.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Use these mantras with Your own full responsibility (always remember of karma, etc.)
You know, that to use any mantra with all of it’s shaktis You should receive it from Guru. You also may become initiated into the Name of Kalki Avatar (http://www.kalki.ru/kalkiru-avatar-kalki-fom-russia/) online, for free, to use these mantras (and not only these) with their full power.---------------------------------------------------------------------

The page is a mere advertisement for some Kalki Avatar site. And some of the mantras (especially written in Hindi) are just bullshit. Gaining control over ladies/gents through exorcism is not Hinduism. The following instruction is one example of the joke given in the site:
(a) Take out dust from all nails of the hands, feet and nose on sunday. Exorcise and then give to lady or any person to eat in bettel leaf.
You must realise that at least some of us are actually concerned of your gullibilty resulting from your obsession. I would not have been concerned had you not asked for our suggestion. I also do not understand as to why you ask us about the number of repetitions to be done when such instructions are already given on the links you have provided.

Best Wishes.

Om

telltale777
12 February 2009, 02:23 PM
Namaste Dear Telltale,

I am sure that none of us have any intent to give you sadness. What appears to be bitter and harsh is not so. If you knew what vashikarana means and if you knew that someone was planning a vashikarana on you, I am sure you would have hated that person.

Well. This is what is written in the page link. Please read it patiently.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Use these mantras with Your own full responsibility (always remember of karma, etc.)
You know, that to use any mantra with all of it’s shaktis You should receive it from Guru. You also may become initiated into the Name of Kalki Avatar (http://www.kalki.ru/kalkiru-avatar-kalki-fom-russia/) online, for free, to use these mantras (and not only these) with their full power.---------------------------------------------------------------------

The page is a mere advertisement for some Kalki Avatar site. And some of the mantras (especially written in Hindi) are just bullshit. Gaining control over ladies/gents through exorcism is not Hinduism. The following instruction is one example of the joke given in the site:
(a) Take out dust from all nails of the hands, feet and nose on sunday. Exorcise and then give to lady or any person to eat in bettel leaf.You must realise that at least some of us are actually concerned of your gullibilty resulting from your obsession. I would not have been concerned had you not asked for our suggestion. I also do not understand as to why you ask us about the number of repetitions to be done when such instructions are already given on the links you have provided.

Best Wishes.

Om

I ask Atanu because the number of repitions that I have asked around for seem false...one page suggests 11x, 21x, 31, 51x a day and another site suggests 100,000x for 90 days which is BS and which is the true ritual/recipe/formula is all I ask? But the answer again I am being given is that I am foolishlessly gullible and that is my problem and I am again willing to take any consequences or aftershocks this mantra may or may not dole out for me. I guess I'll never get the true answer...but at least I tried. Sooory again for upseting/angering anyone here.

But again I thank you for your concerns, your words and for your caring thoughts.

yajvan
12 February 2009, 06:31 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

Namasté

I wrote

What is needed is the proper application and purascarana (number of repetitions) for siddhi ( sidh = to turn out well i.e. success). This is the value of teacher-student ( guru-śiṣya ) relationship, as the guru brings the knowledge of the paramparā (tradition, lineage) to use in the proper mantra application.

Telltale777 mentions repetitions… I will yield to atanu-ji as the question was asked of him, yet offer the following for one's interest and consideration.

There is a rule of thumb that suggests repetitions depend on the number of akṣara अक्षर (syllables or phonemes) the mantra contains.
Pending the number, 1 lac (lakśa लक्ष; 1 lac =100,000) is counted for each akṣara and the total count = the total repetitions that bring siddhi (sidh= to attain or success).
That is why the proper mantra format is of great value. The correct akṣara is considered from the saṁskṛt akṣara format not an interpretation. This has nothing to do with meaning of the mantra but its saṁskṛt (some like to write sanscrit) akṣara count.

Now are there caveats and different approaches ? Absolutely. This then becomes advanced conversations that may only bring confusion or debate to the conversation. Yet for the advanced aspirant the discussion becomes one of suitability to the native that is doing the jāpa¹ (or ajāpa).
One approach called akathāḥ cakara, considers 4x4 ( or 4²) general categories and is considered a 'test' method for mantra suitability. Here are the 4 components:

siddha सिद्ध- accomplished , fulfilled , effected , gained , acquired
sadhya साध्य- to be subdued or mastered or won or managed , conquerable , amenable
susiddha सुसिद्ध- well cooked; very efficacious ; containing power
ari अरि- hostile, below ( less then desirable) There are several other methods. Now what supersedes all this testing? The competent instructor, guru, etc.

praṇām

words

jāpa जाप - muttering, wispering; ajāpa this muttering is done internally, no veral movement of the lips; within the mind.

atanu
13 February 2009, 01:41 AM
I guess I'll never get the true answer...but at least I tried. Sooory again for upseting/angering anyone here.

But again I thank you for your concerns, your words and for your caring thoughts.

Namaste telltale,

You will not get true answer because you do not want it. Do you think that all those who have successfully gained love of some partner did the japa of Kamakshya Mantra one million times? You have set yourself up not to listen to anyone.

I am not upset or angry (as you say) but I am acting merely as I would have advised someone close to me.

For your curiosity, I will add two points to what Yajvan Ji has already added about the repetitions.

Whenever you see varying answers know that there is no science and no truth but only opinions.
The number of repetitions cannot be same for two different sadhakas of unequal maturity. The rule that I follow is to just continue to do it till it does not go away on its own. Satapatha Brahmana has instruction regarding this. It says that whatever form of Agni one lights up (for worship, contemplation, japa etc.) one must continue with the same for at least one year.Hope that above two posts (of Yajvan ji and to some extent mine) may answer your query. Mother Kamakshi fulfills all desires for the good outcome.

Love. Best Wishes.

Om Namah Shivaya

Hiwaunis
13 February 2009, 11:02 PM
I buy one book 3 years ago called "Healing Mantras" by Thomas Ashley Farrand and already I am being critqiued on one letter that was printed incorrectly within the mantra. My reply to that is "If it ain't broke don't fix it." I've done 3 or 4 mantras for correcting/repairing my health and 2 or 3 mantras to open/unblock my roads to help me find a job & help me attain some money (yes I will go down into a firey hell for being selfish for using a mantra to help me gain monetary abundance ~LoL~ but at least I can afford to buy gas and food and medication I need), so far its been slow in happening but its turning the wheels of success my way albeit extremely slowly and I am good with that.

Saidevo, no need to worry or concern yourself dear heart about me & doing this mantra out of selfish need which may seem like it is to you but it is not to me. Praying to God for me is useless because he hasn't heard not one of my prayers for 30+ years, if a god heard me by now he wouldn't leave me close to homeless, without a job, with no health insurance and 3 years ago landed me in a hospital sick as a dog, a god like that doesn't put a mere human being through the wringer and watch them suffer for a gag & a laugh. This god has watched me do everything humanly possible to find a job, try and afford health insurance and keep my health from falling back where it did 3 years ago.....I help to help myself, NOT GOD as you so badly want to put my life in its so called hands, but enough of the way I feel about god and my opinion on him.
The mantras I've been reciting day in and out saved my life they are the ONLY faith ridden prayers I will utter when I am at my worst whenever those times are for me.

I already used one of the mantras to gain this specific gentleman's attention, I chanted the mantra for 40 days a 108x and I already received a package in the mail from him and an invitation to coffee.
Now that I've witnessed the results of this mantra because (Saidevo talking to him is like pulling teeth, been ther and done that more than a billion times) I feel more inclined to use this mantra and get him to connect with me further. And yes he is the right guy for me cause he and I have been circling each other for 5 years and this mantra should at least help me glue his attention towards me a bit more. And guess what good karma, so so karma, bad karma, I'm always in the thick of things anyway and if I am to suffer a fiery death to hell so be it. At least I die happy ~LoL~

I am still trying to figure out if I need to chant this mantra for 100,000x between a 40 or 90 day period or just chant it the regular 40 day discipline 108x a day? I wish I knew why this mantra is so darn heavily shrouded in secrecy that I have to wait for a guru to give me permission to use it.

But thank you you all from the bottom of my heart for trying to answer my questions even though I really did not understand one rule or regulation you guys posted out here for me reagarding mantras and their language as a whole. I just use the Healing Mantras book when I find myself in some trouble and chant till I feel comfortable in facing the situations I am left to deal with. I meditate even better when I chant myself into a peaceful frame of mind.

Thank you again to all who've replied and will keep on replying. Boy as a new member of this site I already feel I stirred this posting section real fast, sorry for any trouble I've cause or ruffled anyone's spiritual feathers.

Pranam TellTale,
Please accept my apology, I certainly had no intention of upsetting you. My experience with mantra's is limited to only a few. I try to stick to the one's that I can pronounce as well as understand. With these mantras you can actually invoke God. Here is a list of my favorites:

DURGA Gayatri : Om Girijaye Vidmahe shiv Prijaye dhimahi tanno durga prachodyat. (eventually you will start to feel tingling on the top of your head and heat in your abdomen)
SARASWATI Gayatri : Om Saraswati vidmahe Bramhaputreeye dhimahi tanno sharda prachodyat. (Goddess of wisdom and knowledge will flood you with spiritual knowledge)
BRAHMA Gayatri : Om chaturmukhay vidmahe hansha rudhaya dhimahi tanno brahma prachodyat.
BRAHMA Gayatri : Om Chaturmakhay vidmahe kamandaludharai Dhimahi Tanno Brahma Prachodyat.
VISHNU Gayatri : Om ekshurngai vidmahe Maha Matsayay dhimahi tanno vishnu prachodyat. (The world sustainer and maintainer, very benevolent husband of Mother Laxmi)
VISHNU Gayatri : Om narayanay vidmahe vasudevay dhimahi tanno prachodyat.
LAXMI Gayatri : Om Maha Laxmaiye vidmahe vishnu priyaye Dhimahi Tanno Laxmi Prachodyat. (This is who you want to please. Make an alter dedicated to her. Always offer her food before you eat it (no meat). Thank her for everything. She likes cleanliness.)
GANESH Gayatri : Om Lambodarai vidmahe Maha devay Dhimahi Tanno dantee prachodyat.
GANESH Gayatri : Om ekdantai vidmahe Vakra tundai dhimahi tanno dantee prachodyat. (remover of obstacles, obedient son of Mother Durga and Shiv)
SHIV Gayatri : Om tat purushai vidmahe mahadevai dhimahi tanno rudra prachodyat. (Lord of Lord's, God of God's, The Great God He is OM)

BRAHMA Gayatri : Om parameshwarai vidmahe param tatwai dhimahi tanno brahma prachodyat.

These Gayatri Mantra's are very potent. If you are of Christian orgin please don't look at this as praying to different God's. One God with many characteristics, personalities and energy patterns.

The easiest mantra for me is OM. Ganesh Mantra is the one for removing problems and controlling our ganas. Laxmi Mantra is for wealth building. Laxmi is the Goddess of fame and fortune. Although She is much, much, much more. It is said that Mother Laxmi rewards devotion, sincerity, persistance, dedication and adoration.

And yes God does and always will play games with us. If you have Hindu beliefs I recommend that you try (as much as possible) to take life lightly because you are going to be doing it over and over and over again.

If you can get you a small MP3 player and download the correct pronounciation of your favorite mantra's. This way you can listen to them all the time. Eventually, you will start to hear them whether you are listening to them or not. You can probably download some of the mantras from YouTube. As for the MP3 player they only cost between $8 to $15. If you can't get one let me know I have plenty that I haven't even used yet. I'll send you one.

Again, if I upset you in any way please accept my apology. I hope I was able to help this time.

Om Shanti

Hiwaunis
13 February 2009, 11:16 PM
" no need to worry or concern yourself dear heart about me & doing this mantra out of selfish need which may seem like it is to you but it is not to me. Praying to God for me is useless because he hasn't heard not one of my prayers for 30+ years, if a god heard me by now he wouldn't leave me close to homeless, without a job, with no health insurance and 3 years ago landed me in a hospital sick as a dog, a god like that doesn't put a mere human being through the wringer and watch them suffer for a gag & a laugh. This god has watched me do everything humanly possible to find a job, try and afford health insurance and keep my health from falling back where it did 3 years ago.....I help to help myself, NOT GOD as you so badly want to put my life in its so called hands, but enough of the way I feel about god and my opinion on him.
The mantras I've been reciting day in and out saved my life they are the ONLY faith ridden prayers I will utter when I am at my worst whenever those times are for me."

Pranam,
I forgot to say something. PLease try not to exhibit so much anger towards God. If nothing more you are inviting a challenge. ShivShankar likes to test and play with us. Try not to give him any reasons to mess with you.

The above text in pink is from my actual experiences.

Om Shanti

Om Namah Shivay, Oh Bholenath please forgive me if I said anything wrong or against you, I am just trying to help, Om Namah Shivay.

MahaHrada
14 February 2009, 11:44 AM
Yet, I cannot help but feel that there must be something ethically and morally wrong with what the OP is trying to do with the one specific mantra she is using.

I question whether mixing dirt taken from the body in someone elses food without his knowledge and consent is still unethical or already criminal.

yajvan
14 February 2009, 01:35 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

Namasté

I wrote

There is a rule of thumb that suggests repetitions depend on the number of akṣara अक्षर(syllables or phonemes) the mantra contains. Pending the number, 1 lac (lakśa लक्ष; 1 lac =100,000) is counted for each akṣara and the total count = the total repetitions that bring siddhi (sidh= to attain or success).
That is why the proper mantra format is of great value. The correct akṣara is considered from the saṁskṛt akṣara format not an interpretation. This has nothing to do with meaning of the mantra but its saṁskṛt (some like to write sanskrit) akṣara count.

Now let me be the praṣṭṛ प्रष्टृ- one who asks or inquires. How long will it take to do 1 lakśa (100,000) repetitions (purascarana) of a mantra?
Lets make a few estimates.
For a mantra that is bīja-akṣara¹ (written bījākṣara) lets assume the matra¹ is 3 ,4 or 5 seconds in duration. This also includes the pause matra between each repetition.

3 seconds = 20 per min, 1200 per hour and 83.3 hrs per 1 lakśa
4 seconds = 15 per min, 900 per and hour 111.1 hrs per 1 lakśa
5 seconds = 12 per min, 720 per hour and 138.9 hrs per 1 lakśa One can say I plan on doing 1 hr per day or 2 hrs, etc. and can then calculate the number of days for the completion of 1 lakśa (some prefer to write lac).

Lets go to a prasiddha (well known) mantra that has more then just one syllable:
Śiva's pañcākṣara ( 5 syllable ~phonemes~ or akṣara) - namaḥ śivāya
It is recommended it should be repeated 5 lac times i.e. 5 akṣara in the mantra X 100,000 = 500,000 or 5 lakśa. Is there some authority that suggests this number is correct? Yes. The Śiva mahāpurāṇa, Vidyeśvara saṃhitā (section), 17th khaṇḍa (chapter or parvan) 53rd śloka.

4 seconds = 15 per min, 900 per hour and 111.1 hrs per 1 lakśa ; 5 lacs = 555.6 hours
5 seconds = 12 per min, 720 per hour and 138.9 hrs per 1 lakśa ; 5 lacs = 694.4 hours
6 seconds = 10 per min, 600 per hour and 166.6 hrs. per 1 lakśa ; 5 lacs = 833.3 hrs.So what does one do when talking of these large amounts? One approach is to calculate what matra or personal measure is at i.e. personal metre ( chandas).

Lets say my speed is at 5 seconds per repetition. And this is done for 2 hrs total a day ( AM and PM). This then suggests that 347.2 days are needed to complete 5 lakśa.
In this method one does not count the individual repetitions but only the days that pass not getting caught into the detail of each mantra repetition.
With this approach one can also set a 'missed repetition' number. That is, say your mind wanders and you miss a few repetitions. No worries.
You say ( and calculate in) that you miss on avg. 2%. So you add in 2% more back in on this practice. That is, you add an additional 13 hrs ( 2% X 694 hrs) to the total or 694.4 + 13 = 707.4 hrs, or a total of 353.7 days ( round up to 354 days).
Note that this number is very close to the number offered by atanu-ji in post number 31 above:

The number of repetitions cannot be same for two different sadhakas of unequal maturity. The rule that I follow is to just continue to do it till it does not go away on its own. Satapatha Brahmana has instruction regarding this. It says that whatever form of Agni one lights up (for worship, contemplation, japa etc.) one must continue with the same for at least one year.
My teacher favored this time period also, he would say it is better to be late by 6 months ( that is 6 months of extra repetitions) , then to be one day too early with ones use of the mantra.

Are there other approaches? Sure. Use the 108 count for each sitting for japa of the mantra. Many like to use multiples of 108. This is where you actually count each mantra. This is usually done with some mālā¹ .

Other approaches? I am sure members of HDF also have some ideas on this matter.

praṇām

words

matra मात्र- measure of any kind ( note not mantra)
praṣṭṛ प्रष्टृ- one who asks or inquires
bīja बीजseed; element , primary cause or principle , source ; syllable which forms the essential part of the mantra of any devatā
aksara अक्षर- the syllable ; also means imperishable
prasiddha प्रसिद्ध- well known
mālā माला- a string of beads , necklace , rosary; also a wreath. Not to be confused with mala - that of a blemish, dirt, etc.

yajvan
15 February 2009, 10:28 AM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

Namasté

I wrote

jāpa जाप- muttering, wispering; ajāpa this muttering is done internally, no veral movement of the lips; within the mind.

A few types of jāpa:

saśabda (jāpa) सशब्द- having sound or noise , full of cries; that which are auidable to all that listen… note 'audible' - does not imply comprehension or understanding.
upāṃśu (jāpa) उपांशु- secretly or in secret; This implies in the mind - 'secret' ; or in a low voice , in a whisper where no one can discern the words.
ajāpa (jāpa) अजप - from jap - one who does not repeat prayers - the implication is 'verbally', yet can also be used as one who just does not engage in mantra repetitions.No matter which format , all are heard by Śrī Devī , parāvāk, the noble (nāyikā) 3 cornered One.

praṇām

telltale777
16 February 2009, 07:40 AM
I question whether mixing dirt taken from the body in someone elses food without his knowledge and consent is still unethical or already criminal.

OK MahaHrada you make me sound like a sorceress and I have NO intention of mixing dirt from another's body in someone elses food without his knowledge & consent is (just plain wrong & disgusting).

For the last time this one Vashikaran mantra is all I want to chant, just trying to translate one lac's worth of repetitions down for myself. That's all.

telltale777
16 February 2009, 07:45 AM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

Namasté

I wrote

Now let me be the praṣṭṛ प्रष्टृ- one who asks or inquires. How long will it take to do 1 lakśa (100,000) repetitions (purascarana) of a mantra?
Lets make a few estimates.
For a mantra that is bīja-akṣara¹ (written bījākṣara) lets assume the matra¹ is 3 ,4 or 5 seconds in duration. This also includes the pause matra between each repetition.

3 seconds = 20 per min, 1200 per hour and 83.3 hrs per 1 lakśa
4 seconds = 15 per min, 900 per and hour 111.1 hrs per 1 lakśa
5 seconds = 12 per min, 720 per hour and 138.9 hrs per 1 lakśa One can say I plan on doing 1 hr per day or 2 hrs, etc. and can then calculate the number of days for the completion of 1 lakśa (some prefer to write lac). <= was planning on doing that as well.

Lets go to a prasiddha (well known) mantra that has more then just one syllable:
Śiva's pa&#241;cākṣara ( 5 syllable ~phonemes~ or akṣara) - namaḥ śivāya
It is recommended it should be repeated 5 lac times i.e. 5 akṣara in the mantra X 100,000 = 500,000 or 5 lakśa. Is there some authority that suggests this number is correct? Yes. The Śiva mahāpurāṇa, Vidyeśvara saṃhitā (section), 17th khaṇḍa (chapter or parvan) 53rd śloka.

4 seconds = 15 per min, 900 per hour and 111.1 hrs per 1 lakśa ; 5 lacs = 555.6 hours
5 seconds = 12 per min, 720 per hour and 138.9 hrs per 1 lakśa ; 5 lacs = 694.4 hours
6 seconds = 10 per min, 600 per hour and 166.6 hrs. per 1 lakśa ; 5 lacs = 833.3 hrs.So what does one do when talking of these large amounts? One approach is to calculate what matra or personal measure is at i.e. personal metre ( chandas).

Lets say my speed is at 5 seconds per repetition. And this is done for 2 hrs total a day ( AM and PM). This then suggests that 347.2 days are needed to complete 5 lakśa.
In this method one does not count the individual repetitions but only the days that pass not getting caught into the detail of each mantra repetition.
With this approach one can also set a 'missed repetition' number. That is, say your mind wanders and you miss a few repetitions. No worries.
You say ( and calculate in) that you miss on avg. 2&#37;. So you add in 2% more back in on this practice. That is, you add an additional 13 hrs ( 2% X 694 hrs) to the total or 694.4 + 13 = 707.4 hrs, or a total of 353.7 days ( round up to 354 days).
Note that this number is very close to the number offered by atanu-ji in post number 31 above:
My teacher favored this time period also, he would say it is better to be late by 6 months ( that is 6 months of extra repetitions) , then to be one day too early with ones use of the mantra.

Are there other approaches? Sure. Use the 108 count for each sitting for japa of the mantra. Many like to use multiples of 108. This is where you actually count each mantra. This is usually done with some mālā&#185; .

Other approaches? I am sure members of HDF also have some ideas on this matter.

praṇām

words

matra मात्र- measure of any kind ( note not mantra)
praṣṭṛ प्रष्टृ- one who asks or inquires
bīja बीजseed; element , primary cause or principle , source ; syllable which forms the essential part of the mantra of any devatā
aksara अक्षर- the syllable ; also means imperishable
prasiddha प्रसिद्ध- well known
mālā माला- a string of beads , necklace , rosary; also a wreath. Not to be confused with mala - that of a blemish, dirt, etc.

Now we are finally getting to the meat of what a lac and how many times I really need to chant these words to feel the change in the air. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you I will keep this post as reference in mind, did I mention Thank you =)

MahaHrada
16 February 2009, 08:36 AM
OK MahaHrada you make me sound like a sorceress and I have NO intention of mixing dirt from another's body in someone elses food without his knowledge & consent is (just plain wrong & disgusting).

For the last time this one Vashikaran mantra is all I want to chant, just trying to translate one lac's worth of repetitions down for myself. That's all.

And i will tell you the last time i am not talking about you or with you and will not advice you.

By the way all vashikarana is sorcery, when not done for communal welfare. What would you call Vashikaran for personal ends, if not sorcery or magic or witchcraft? Shatkarmas are certainly not innocent prayers.

This is the instruction you want our help to practise it correctly, copied from the website you mentioned, if that recipe is NOT sorcery what do you think IS sorcery?

"Om Namo Kamakshi Devi Aamuki me Vansham Kuru Kuru Swaha"
After attaining siddhi of this mantra use any of the following methods and articels etc., which can be exorcised 108 times by the above mantra and the desired results are obtained.
(a) Take out dust from all nails of the hands, feet and nose on sunday. Exorcise and then give to lady or any person to eat in bettel leaf.
(b) Make a powder of Kakjanga, Kesar, Mausli and Tagar. Exorcise 108 times with above mantra. Preserve the powder and put on the forehead of the the lady or any person who will become in infatuated with you.
(c) Procure on sunday flowers, leaves root, trunk and branch of black datura tree or plant. Mix in them kesar, Camphor and Gorochan. Make a powder of all. Exorcise the same 108 times. Put Tilak on the forehead and go before the lady or any person, who will be subjected to Vashi Karan.

pasu
09 July 2009, 09:26 AM
Namaste
Tat Savitur Vareniyam...
In the Gayatri Mantra, we bring with our minds vareniya, venerations, adoration and worship to Lord Savitur...

Can someone please explain to me if Lord Savitur is considered an AVATAR ? Is He a representation of Brahma, Vishnu or Shiva ? Or perhaps Rudra?

OM NA MAH SIVAYAM
pasu

pasu
09 July 2009, 09:34 AM
Namaste

Tat Savitur Vareniyam

Can somone give me the ORIGIN of the Gayatri Mantra ?

I know it is a very old and powerful Mantra...

thank you for your help
pasu

yajvan
21 July 2009, 09:10 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

Namasté pasu,

We know this gāyatrī ¹ is from the ṛgvedá - 3.62.10

tat saviturvareṇyaṃ
bhargho devasya dhīmahi
dhiyo yo naḥ pracodayāt ||

Here is one ( 2006) post that discusses it a bit more:

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=567&highlight=Gayatri (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=567&highlight=Gayatri)

praṇām

1. gāyatrī गायत्री - can be the mantra, or the metre; metre of twenty-four syllables , variously arranged , but generally as a triplet of eight syllables each.

clito
09 August 2009, 07:44 AM
I hope I am posting this in the correct section of the forum.

One day in a B & N bookstore I happened on a book called "Healing Mantras" by Thomas Ashley Farrand, the man damn near saved my sanity, my health and life in a 3 month period waiting for test results & a new diagnosis on my health BUT I PREFACE that by saying I STILL USED conventional doctors & medication to aid & alleviate my health issues.

Since I didn’t have mala beads & couldn’t afford those real pretty genuine ones made of sandalwood and different types of material and didn’t have the patience to make my own. I grabbed a set of plain rosary beads and chanted twice a day morning and night for 108x, I would chant 5 mantras for a 40 day period. The mantras that I chanted were as follows:

Om Gum Ganapatayei Namaha
Om and salutations to the remover of obstacles for which Gum is the seed. (boy did it remove some obstacles in my health and even open some new doors funny...how it worked, its actually worked).

Om Sri Shukraya Namaha (saved me IMO)
Healing of Throat, neck, kidneys, secondary connection with reproductive organs and feet, some thyroid gland influence.

Om Sri Dhanvantre Namaha (Swaha if you’re over 28)
(phenomenal mantra worked great for me as well)

Mantra for improving your physical health

Translation:

Thomas Ashley-Farrand says that this is THE most powerful healing mantra, and he knows them all. Let me quote him: "I am aware that this mantra is long, but I teach it even to beginners because of the tremendous healing power it produces. I have found that those who are desperate for healing, learn it without difficulty, and many have had extraordinary results."

I found 3 mantras 2 for fulfilling wishes and one to attract the one I care and love for.....

1)Om Kapilya Namaha (wish mantra)

2)Om Kama Dayinyei Namaha (another wish mantra, I am going to try this one again for another 40 day discipline)

I even read that I need to chant this mantra at least 100,000 times to even see its full effect to manifest into the results I seek..... so how many times do I really need to chant this mantra, the truth would be truly appreciated?

I get this mantra has a formula and when I ask about it many folks gave a many varying answers and leave out the entire formula on how to chant this particular mantra correctly. Instead I got replied back with in all honestly useless stories on how not to chant this mantra but no reason as to why (which I rather bypass because I am still going to recite this mantra religiously.)

(Love mantra that I prefer using and I take out the word Aamuki and place the name of the person that I care for in place of it.)

Om Namo Kamakshi Devi (name of the guy I care for) me Vansham Kuru Kuru Swaha

so it’s cause a tiny spark but still don’t understand why the guy I love isn’t corresponding with me with email the way he was...~LoL~

Sat Patim Dehi Parameshawara is way too weak for my taste that why I chose the one up there....my preference of course & I chant it with great care. I don’t chant mantras all willy nilly either.

Thanks.
hi,just telling you that its very auspicious that each time you recite a mantra one should begin by chanting the gayatri mantra of the deity yo want to pray to.this way its a guarantee that the deity is gonna listen ty its like asking for permission and invoke their help.the mantras that ashley farrand suggest for healing are very good and simple to recite,but there are others with more capability of healing in my opinion durga dhvantrinsh ,gayatri mantra, mahamrityunjaya mantra and hanuman chalisa are superior but every mantra has a healing weapon on itself.because ofthe hypnotic relaxation that they bring our body heals much faster when is out of worries.in my opinion the most powerfull mantra recitation for healing are the indrakshi stotra with shiva kavacham,ayurveda doctors declare that this two stotras recited together are the miraculous healing mantra sadhana,hope that it helps to you wishing you a fast recovery and happy healthy life.om shanti namaste.

clito
09 August 2009, 08:01 AM
Namaste

Tat Savitur Vareniyam

Can somone give me the ORIGIN of the Gayatri Mantra ?

I know it is a very old and powerful Mantra...

thank you for your help
pasu
namaste the original gayatri mantra was the savitri mantra a solar mantra and it was revealed to sage vashista, later it was worshipped as gayatri devi.namaste

atanu
09 August 2009, 12:06 PM
namaste the original gayatri mantra was the savitri mantra a solar mantra and it was revealed to sage vashista, later it was worshipped as gayatri devi.namaste

Namaste clito,

Gayatri Mantra, as far as I know, is from Sage Visvamitra, a sakta sage. The Mriyuonjaya is from sage Vashista.

'bharga devasya' is the light and heat of Devas. bharga is so called because it goes by rays and it dries up. bharga can indeed be shakti. But it is better to keep it non-sectarian and know it as the glory of Devas.

Om Namah Shivaya

clito
15 August 2009, 06:16 PM
Namaste clito,

Gayatri Mantra, as far as I know, is from Sage Visvamitra, a sakta sage. The Mriyuonjaya is from sage Vashista.

'bharga devasya' is the light and heat of Devas. bharga is so called because it goes by rays and it dries up. bharga can indeed be shakti. But it is better to keep it non-sectarian and know it as the glory of Devas.

Om Namah Shivaya
namaste yes you are absolutely right sorry i dont know what was i thinking about while posting this.at least the gayatri remains untouched from my post sorry again.

shastwo
05 January 2015, 12:13 AM
Namaste all.
Since past few days only I have been reciting the Mahamrityunjaya mantra to heal the sinus condition and mental stress I have been having since 7 years now(I have tried everything else including surgery but nothing works). It felt a bit intoxicatingly good at first. But one day it felt like more powerful than ever after the recitation. So much so that I hardly have to use a blanket in this shivering cold. To be honest I don't have any initiation by a guru and I recite it only after praying to Lord Shiva to be my guru and to forgive me for any mispronounciations. Also I have scant idea how many times it is be recited.

For now I have stopped the recitation as I am scared after reading about the pre-requisite of a guru. I don't have the privilege of having one and have scant idea where to find one.

Also I've heard that once mantra is given by a guru there are a lot of boundations one has to follow(like one can't eat anything in anyone else's house). I am 27 and my working life would make it difficult to follow these.

Should I not do it anymore. Please guide and illumine.

-Shashank.