PDA

View Full Version : Unparallaled Genius!

TatTvamAsi
18 February 2009, 10:56 PM
This, without a semblance of a doubt, is genius embodied:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKdHPCw3K9c

Thanks to Rajaji for the simply sublime composition!

Enjoy!

Namaskar.

saidevo
21 February 2009, 07:38 AM
kuRai onRum illai

Chakravarti RajagopAlAcharyAr, popularly called Rajaji, the author of this lyric, was a perfect example of a 'gRuhasta' shining as a 'jnAni'.

This song is unique in many respects which include:

• Rajaji was not a regular composer of lyrics or known as a musician, only as a statesman and a sage; yet this song became a masterpiece and will be sung for ever in the Hindu world.

• The Tamil word kuRai has several overtones of meaning. Here the word is used to mean that the devotee has no wants to ask for, finds no blemishes in the Lord's creation, or has no grievances at not being able to see the Lord as the JnAnis do.

• Usually, a devotee prays to the Lord to get things done for him/her. Here, the devotee realizes that God is always there to grant him his/her wishes, so requires nothing.

• The names Krishna (KaNNA in Tamil), Kesava, Venkatesa, Govinda are used interchangeably for the one and the same God.

• This song was sung by MS Subbulakshmi at her United Nations concert in 1969 arranged by the then UN Undersecretary-general C.V.Narasimhan. The song was set to music by Kadayanallur Venkataraman who has worked with MS for decades. It is now a highly popular song in the concert circuit. Almost every musician keeps it in his/her repertoire to be rendered either as a regular item towards the end or to be rendered at the request of the audience.

I have with all humiliation, attempted an English versified translation of the lyric, which can be sung in the same tune as the original composition in Tamil. I have presented the English transliteration and my translation in stanzas one after another, with the corresponding pauses marked with a vertical bar (|). I have retained the Tamil form of the Lord's 'nAmAvaLi' to have the same devotional fervor. The Tamil original is given at the end.

The best way to try the English translation is to sing along with the original Tamil song, an mp3 file of which can be downloaded at: http://www.ecse.rpi.edu/Homepages/shivkuma/personal/music/originals/

kuRai onRum illai
English Transliteration (Baraha scheme)
rAgaA: rAgamAlikA
tAlam: Adi
Lyrics: Chakravarti RajagopalAcharyAr
Artiste: M.S.Subbulakshmi

rAgA: shivaranjani
pallavi:
kuRai onRum illai | maRaimUrtti kaNNA,
kuRai onRum illai | kaNNA AAA,
kuRai onRum illai | gOvi~ndA!

No blemishes are there, | MaRaimUrtti KaNNA,
No regrets for me | KaNNA Ah Ah Ah,
No grievance for me | GOvindA!

anupallavi:
kaNNukkut teriyAmal | ~niRkinRAy | kaNNA,
kaNNukkut teriyAmal | ~ninRAlum | enakku,
kuRai onRum illai | maRaimUrtti kaNNA!

Invisible to the eyes | standing there | KaNNA,
Invisible to the eyes | though you be | for me,
No grievance is there | MaRaimUrtti KaNNA!

charaNam 1:
vENDiyadait ta~ndiDa | vE~gkaTEsan enRirukka,
vENDiyadE vERillai | maRaimUrtti kaNNA,
maNivaNNA malaiyappA | gOvi~ndA gOvi~ndA!

To grant all that's prayed for | as Venkatesan you are there,
None else is needed | MaRaimUrtti KaNNA
MaNivaNNA MalaiyappA | GOvindA GOvindA!

rAgA: kApi
charaNam 2:
tiraiyin pin | ~niRkinRAy | kaNNA,
kaNNA | tiraiyin pin | ~niRkinRAy | kaNNA--unnai
maRai Odum | ~jAniyar maTTumE | kANbAr,
tiraiyin pin | ~niRkinRAy | kaNNA--unnai
maRai Odum | ~jAniyar maTTumE | kANbAr,
enRAlum kuRai onRum | enakkillai | kaNNA,
enRAlum kuRai onRum | enakkillai | kaNNA!

Veiled in you | stand there | KaNNA
KaNNA | veiled in you | stand there | KaNNA--only
Veda-chanting | JnAnIs will always | see you,
Veiled in you | stand there | KaNNA--only
Veda-chanting | JnAnis will ever | see you,
Even so grievances are | not for me | KaNNA,
Even so grievances are | not for me | KaNNA!

charaNam 3:
kunRin mEl | kallAgi | ~niRkinRa varadA
kunRin mEl | kallAgi | ~niRkinRa varadA
kuRai onRum illai | maRaimUrtti kaNNA
maNivaNNA malaiyappA | gOvi~ndA gOvi~ndA

On the rock | as a stone | standing there VaradA
On the rock | as a stone | standing there VaradA
No grievance for me | MaRaimUrtti KaNNA

rAgA: sindhubhairavi
Charanam 4:
kali~nALukkira~ggi | kallilE iRa~ggi
~nilaiyAgak kOyilil | ~niRkinRAy kEsavA
kali~nALukkira~ggi | kallilE iRa~ggi
~nilaiyAgak kOyilil | ~niRkinRAy kEsavA

Sympathizing Kali Days | on a stone descending
Fixed up in temples, | and standing there KesavA
Sympathizing Kali Days | on a stone descending
Fixed up in temples, | and standing there KesavA

Charanam 5:
yAdum | maRukkAda | malaiyappA
yAdum | maRukkAda | malaiyappA--un mArbil
Edum tara ~niRkum | karuNaikaDalannai
enRum iru~ndiDa | Edu kuRai enakkE
enRum iru~ndiDa | Edu kuRai enakkE
onRum kuRai illai | maRaimUrtti kaNNA
onRum kuRai illai | maRaimUrtti kaNNA
maNivaNNA malaiyappA | gOvi~ndA gOvi~ndA
gOvi~ndA gOvi~ndA gOvi~ndA gOvi~ndA!

Nothing | you'd say no to, | MalaiyappA
Nothing | you'd say no to, | MalaiyappA--On your chest,
there to grant anything, | that Mother of compassion,
When she's ever there, | what shortfalls for me,
When she's ever there, | what shortfalls for me,
GOvindA GOvindA GOvindA GOvindA!

Tamil Text
குறை ஒன்றும் இல்லை மறைமூர்த்தி கண்ணா
குறை ஒன்றும் இல்லை கண்ணா ஆஆஆ
குறை ஒன்றும் இல்லை கோவிந்தா

கண்ணுக்குத் தெரியாமல் நிற்கின்றாய் கண்ணா
கண்ணுக்குத் தெரியாமல் நின்றாலும் எனக்கு

வேண்டியதைத் தந்திட வேங்கடேசன் என்றிருக்க
வேண்டியதே வேறில்லை மறைமூர்த்தி கண்ணா
மணிவண்ணா மலையப்பா கோவிந்தா கோவிந்தா

திரையின் பின் நிற்கின்றாய் கண்ணா
கண்ணா திரையின் பின் நிற்கின்றாய் கண்ணா
உன்னை மறை ஓதும் ஞானியர் மட்டுமே காண்பார்
திரையின் பின் நிற்கின்றாய் கண்ணா
உன்னை மறை ஓதும் ஞானியர் மட்டுமே காண்பார்
என்றாலும் குறை ஒன்றும் எனக்கில்லை கண்ணா
என்றாலும் குறை ஒன்றும் எனக்கில்லை கண்ணா

குன்றின் மேல் கல்லாகி நிற்கின்ற வரதா
குன்றின் மேல் கல்லாகி நிற்கின்ற வரதா

கலிநாளுக்கிரங்கி கல்லிலே இறங்கி
நிலையாகக் கோயிலில் நிற்கின்றாய் கேசவா
கலிநாளுக்கிரங்கி கல்லிலே இறங்கி
நிலையாகக் கோயிலில் நிற்கின்றாய் கேசவா

யாதும் மறுக்காத மலையப்பா
யாதும் மறுக்காத மலையப்பா
உன் மார்பில் ஏதும் தர நிற்கும் கருணைகடலன்னை
என்றும் இருந்திட ஏது குறை எனக்கே
என்றும் இருந்திட ஏது குறை எனக்கே
ஒன்றும் குறை இல்லை மறைமூர்த்தி கண்ணா
ஒன்றும் குறை இல்லை மறைமூர்த்தி கண்ணா
கோவிந்தா கோவிந்தா கோவிந்தா கோவிந்தா!

vcindiana
21 February 2009, 04:30 PM
Kurai onrum illai

I do not have any complaint

Love this song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKdHPCw3K9c (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKdHPCw3K9c)

This song is indeed most beautiful; one has to listen to Subbalakshmi. I hope people not that fond of Karnatic music also enjoy her rendition. I have listened to this song several times and it has touched my heart deeply. Apart from the sweet melody, this song also brings something unique that this awesome God is for everyone, we do not have to be a Saint or a learned one, we do not need to struggle to please Him, we do not need anything for He has given us unconditional Love through His Grace. My own humble understandings of this song are not in bold. (No threats to Rajaji’s soul)

I do not have a problem or complaint to bring to You, Oh KANNA !(Sweetest name at least in Tamil, I can call you with) This literally means Immortal and Holy Figure.You are invisible Oh God! But even when you remain invisible I do not have any problem/compliant Oh Kanna!!

When you are there to give us what we want, we shall not want anything, Oh God. We praise you with names signifying your noble characters. You already know what we need.

You are standing behind a screen, only the wise men well versed in Veda can see you, still I do not have a problem (even I cannot see you). I do not need to be Wise with all the knowledge of the Scriptures. When I humble myself and surrender to you I do not need a physical proof to see you. All I need to know is that you are Love and I just need to experience that Love

Even if you are standing there like a stone on a hilltop, I do not have any problem. You (may) have taken this stone form in Kali Yuga and (look like!) staying in this temple permanently, forgive me, this is my human limitation of understanding you. But still I have no woes/ grievances Oh Kanna, Immortal One

You do not forget nor refuse to grant. You are are Graceful. Because the ever-merciful “Lakshmi” is residing in your Heart. In that situation what complaints/ deficiency/problems ("kurai") can I have?
It is all about LOVE, expressed physically as Heart. ("kurai onrum illai"), Oh God Kanna !!

Thanks to Rajaj, Subbalaksmi TTS and Sai

Love……………………….VC

saidevo
21 February 2009, 09:58 PM
This wonderful song has other nuances of words and meanings.

• The term 'maRai' in the opening stanza primarily means 'to veil'. Since the Vedas are knowledge that is veiled from the ineligible and even for the eligible, they are known by the name 'maRai' in Tamil. Another term that denotes the Vedas is 'ezhudAk kiLavi' meaning 'unwritten word'. Thus Sri Krishna is a 'maRaimUrtti', Lord of the Vedas as well as the hidden god.

• The name kaNNA in the second stanza is derived from the word 'kaN' that refers to the eye, perhaps the dearest of our body parts. The eye is the lamp through which the hidden soul shines. KaNNA is black like the pupil of the eye, yet he enlightens us with real knowledge. The black complexion of Sri Krishna also signifies the darkness of deep sleep as well as the gray of the 'turIya' that pervades every moment of our lives. By keeping the 'eye' open, we might see the light that self-shines in these states, unlike the borrowed light of the waking or dreaming states.

And then KaNNA ('kAnA' in Hindi) is a favourite term of Sri Krishna's Gopis they address him with. Mahakavi BharatiyAr, the most popular poet-sage of modern Tamil literature, took on the 'bhakti bhAva' of a lover to worship Sri Krishna. Treating Krishna as his male lover, the poet addressed him as 'KaNNA'; treating him/her as his female lover, he addressed Krishna as 'KaNNammA'. This term became the most popular pet name a man addresses his love/wife with.

• The 'vENDudal' in the third stanza has two meanings: 'to pray' and 'to want'. God gives what we pray for if it is what we really need to have, so the devotee can 'pray for his/her wants' but God knows what he/she really needs, therefore in toto there is no praying or wanting.

In the name MaNivaNNA, 'maNi' has these meanings: bell, gem, time, wattle, crystal, apple of the eye, RudrAkSha bead, lotus seed, a corn grain, snake stone, moonstone, any small round thing, liberated soul, beauty, light/lustre, fine/excellent, round sinkers attached to a net. The term 'vaNNam' means 'color', so here the name MaNivaNNA indicates the color of the peacock feather that Krishna wears on his head as well as his lustrous nature.

MalaiappA is one who resides on a hill, Lord Venkateswara here. GovindA is one who takes care of the cows ('go').

• 'tirai' in the 4th stanza means: wrinkles, shrink, float, coagulate, gather, rise and roll (with a wave), contain, hug, veil/curtain, the movie/TV screen, stream, sea, a roll of betel leaves. Most of these meanings can be applied to the manifest and unmanifest nature of Sri Krishna.

• There is a subtle wordplay in the words 'irangi' and 'iRangi' in the 6th stanza. The former word means 'feeling sympathy/compassion' and the latter signifies God's descent/descension in stone.

There might be specific reasons for choosing a specific 'rAgA' for the stanzas, but I am not conversant with Karnatic music.

Such nuances that are roused with commonplace words speak of a great composition. Knowing them greatly enhances our enjoyment of the song and music.

vcindiana
24 February 2009, 09:28 AM
This wonderful song has other nuances of words and meanings.....

Such nuances that are roused with commonplace words speak of a great composition. Knowing them greatly enhances our enjoyment of the song and music.

You said it right. ..This wonderful song has other nuance of words and meanings.....There is so much we can learn and enjoy once we start dissecting these powerful words. I asked several of my family people. They all know this song very well. But a few of them knew the richness and depth of this song. Of course that included me till you guys brought it out to the Light! Thanks.

I just wondered what Rajaji was thinking when he composed this beautiful song. I guess this man knew humility despite his expertise in Scriptures and being a statesman. It is my humble understanding that he knew that God is Love through Grace. There is nothing we need to ask or complain (Kurai) or seek or do some ritual or be an expert in Veda. Any parent especially in Tamilnad loves to call his/her child as Kannaaaaa.. or Kannee… It is the word of deep affection. That is the amount of Love God pours on us and we in return call Him in affection. Kanna as you say it also means Eyes, an organ of sight which can express a range of emotions from sorrow and gladness to greed, lust and understanding. We have heard an expression “Keep an Eye on some one”. Isn’t that true God always keeps his eyes on us? He loves us too much

Love......VC