PDA

View Full Version : Taking on a Hindu name and rituals, for example

ThouArt
02 July 2006, 04:48 PM
Namaste:

As "new" Hindu and also new to the forum I see the obvious love and devotion everyone has for the Hindu faith.

In another topic thread it is stated that a Hindu name can be taken through devotion and proper rituals.

Besides being born Hindu or marrying someone that is Hindu by birth is it possible for a caucasian woman to achieve receiving a Hindu name?:headscratch:

Sudarshan
02 July 2006, 05:24 PM
It should be possible through one of the institutions. Each Hindu tradition has its own way and own set of rituals and naming/initiation ceremonies. Not every tradition will entertain foreiigners, but I am guessing that most will do so in modern times. I am aware of foriegners adopting the way of Srivaishnavism(my tradition) through their established insititutions in India. Then there are organizations like Arya Samaj( who have a global presence) who can give you a name and also initiation into some mantras in case you do not have a preference for any particular tradition.

Arjuna
03 July 2006, 04:38 AM
Besides being born Hindu or marrying someone that is Hindu by birth is it possible for a caucasian woman to achieve receiving a Hindu name?:headscratch:

There is only one traditional way of getting a Hindu name: Namakarana-samskara. That can be done by a Hindu priest or guru. In a case of a guru it may be done in a simple way as well, without a specific ritual.
Requirement for this samskara will depend on a sect.
In any case, it implies entrance into certain tradition of Hinduism.

c.smith
04 July 2006, 10:19 AM
The book "How to become a Hindu" by the Himalayan Academy is a good source of information on the topic.

NandiniBhakti
30 December 2006, 09:52 PM
Hmm, I am wondering the same thing as ThouArt.
Is it okay to choose your own name? If not, why not?

Agnideva
31 December 2006, 09:32 AM
Namaste Nandini,

Unless, you are given a name by a guru, or request one from a priest, I think you are allowed to choose your own name. I would guess that most children who were born of Hindu parents got a name of their parents’ choosing.

You should check out the book, How to become a (better) Hindu (http://www.himalayanacademy.com/resources/books/hbh/hbh_table_of_contents.html), suggested by C. Smith. It answers many questions that you may have at this point.

Hope that helps :).

OM Shanti,
A.

NandiniBhakti
03 January 2007, 01:43 PM
Thanks. I read from chapter 8 to the end of the book. It helped a lot.