PDA

View Full Version : Vāstu & directions

yajvan
01 March 2009, 04:40 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

Namasté

There is a body of knowledge that I am not very familiar ( novice ) with, that is vāstu vidya or vāstu śastra.

vāstu वास्तु the site or foundation of a house , site , ground , building or dwelling-place.
vāstu is connected with vas वस् which means to remain , abide with or in.
And from here we get to nivas निवस् - to inhabit, or ' keeps one's ground '.As one would expect this vāstu śastra has much to do with ākāśa¹ (space) and direction (diśā¹). Direction (diśā) and jyotiṣa¹ are also coupled together, and hence my interest in vāstu.

Here is my question for those that may have a POV or direct me to a body of work that can satisfy my curiosity. It is suggested that the direction that one rests or sleeps in influences the person.

I know from jyotiṣa, that when events occur from different directions they are ruled/influenced by different graha (~planets). Does anyone have a view on this, or perhaps a personal experience in trying and testing different directions of sleeping, meditation , etc?

For me I for some reason gravitate to North or East for many things I do. Here are some of the directions and the devatā that own/influence the direction. I have not included the graha-s, but will add if there is any interest e.g. Sun owns the East, etc.

indra - East
agni - South East
yama - South
nairṛytya - South West
fyi - nairṛytya नैरृत्य - belonging to or consecrated to nirṛti - dissolution , destruction , calamity as the goddess of death and corruption and often associated with mṛtyu
varuṇa -West
vāyu - North West
kubera- North
fyi - originally spelled as 'kuvera' in saṃskṛt (sanskrit )
īśāna- North East
fyi - one of the older names of śiva-rudra ; a noun of viṣṇu
ūrdhva- Up ( some say zenith) - 'up' is also considered to be owned by Brahma
fyi - ūrdhva ऊर्ध्व- rising or tending upwards , raised , elevated;
adhodiśā or down direction (some call nadir) - also considered to be owned by Ananta ( i.e. śeṣa or his brother vāsuki)
fyi - ádhara = below , down ; adhas अधस्= beneath , under praṇām

definitions

ākāśa आकाशopen space , vacuity , some like to call 'ether'
jyotiṣa ज्योतिषthe science of the movements of the heavenly bodies and divisions of time dependant thereon ; science of light
graha ग्रह- seizing , laying hold of , holding i.e. a graha ~seizes~ or influences the circumstances of the native.
diśā दिशाis direction, region , quarter or point of the compass