PDA

View Full Version : Worshipping a Personal God

Vedant
03 July 2006, 12:15 AM
OM TAT SAT

Many people believe that Vedanta which preaches the reality of Brhaman, or the Impersonal Absolute, is intolerant of worship. This belief is not true. No doubt the goal of Vedanta is to realise that there is no duality, but a man who is under the spell of ignorance can not deny the actuality of the relative world. As long as a man remains ignorant, the world is real to him and so are the pairs of good and evil. Only a highly qualified aspirant can conceive of the impersonal absolute and meditate on it.

For the rest of us the approach to impersonal reality lies through the Personal God. Therefore, worship of a personal god or isvara is recommended at the beginning of spiritual life. As long as a man regards himself as a separate entity made up of body, mind and ego he can not meditate on the impersonal reality.

Arjuna
03 July 2006, 04:49 AM
For the rest of us the approach to impersonal reality lies through the Personal God. Therefore, worship of a personal god or isvara is recommended at the beginning of spiritual life.

If so, why did Shankara Bhagavatpada compose Saundarya-lahari? His authorship is not 100% sure matter, but most of scholars do accept it, as well as Hindu tradition (both Shakta and Vedanta — at least Kanchi Matha).

Ulatimate God is both personal and impersonal, and beyond both these definitions.

Vedant
03 July 2006, 08:52 PM
Personal God is symbolic. This is pointed out to the student from the beginning. The reality behind the personal god is impersonal Absolute.

According to Sankara, a man can not deny the universe as long as he sees it, as long as he feels it with his senses, nor can a man deny his relationships with other beings or the various objects of the world as long as they appear to be real. Surely things are real as long as we are concious of the reality of our own individual ego and of the universe around us.

Therefore, as long as we see multiplicity, we must work, we must pray, worship and reap the fruits of our actions. The personal god to us is as real as the universe. In the end both the worshipper and the personal god merge in the absolute.

tatvam
24 August 2006, 03:04 AM
OM TAT SAT

No doubt the goal of Vedanta is to realise that there is no duality, but a man who is under the spell of ignorance can not deny the actuality of the relative world. As long as a man remains ignorant, the world is real to him and so are the pairs of good and evil. Only a highly qualified aspirant can conceive of the impersonal absolute and meditate on it.

Hi Vedant,

Can you explain why man is under ignorance?
what is impersonal absolute? is it a matter? or energy? or some thing else?
I know some thing about Advaita and want to know more..please consider me.
Thank you.

satay
24 August 2006, 03:07 AM
Hi Vedant,

what is impersonal absolute? is it a matter? or energy? or some thing else?
I know some thing about Advaita and want to know more..please consider me.
Thank you.

hi, just an FYI, I have not seen vedant for months and same for arjuna...not sure where they are...
hopefully they will answer soon...in the mean time, maybe you can ask these questions on another advaita forums on the net if you want or google it...

satay
25 August 2006, 08:06 AM
I moved all the pointless posts to the canteen section anyone who has time to waste can continue it there.
thanks,
s

tatvam
29 August 2006, 04:27 AM
I moved all the pointless posts to the canteen section anyone who has time to waste can continue it there.
thanks,
s

Satay,
do you think enquiry into Brahman is waste of time?
I don't understand your problem..:confused:

atanu
02 September 2006, 10:20 AM
Hi Vedant,

Thank you.

Since, there are not many answers I wish to counter question Tatvam.

What is ignorance? And what is 'man' who is supposed to be under ignorance? With your clear cut definitions we may proceed further.

Regards

tatvam
03 September 2006, 10:20 PM
Since, there are not many answers I wish to counter question Tatvam.

What is ignorance? And what is 'man' who is supposed to be under ignorance? With your clear cut definitions we may proceed further.

Regards

Namaste Atanu,

I think you have not seen the Canteen section where all of my doubts and questions were moved by Satay.
As an adavaitin you to answer those questions..like "what is Ignorance?"