PDA

View Full Version : Names for a seeker

yajvan
25 March 2009, 12:36 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

Namasté
I thought to list out a few names that a seeker may be known by. Perhaps you will see one that resonates with you. I will add to the list as time permits.

One of my favorites is jijñāsu जिज्ञासु - desirous of knowing , inquiring into , examining , testing. Some of its components:
ji जि- to win or acquire (by conquest), conquer (in battle) , vanquish or defeat , excel , surpass to conquer (the passions) , overcome or remove any desire or difficulties or diseases + jñāna ज्ञान- knowing , becoming acquainted with , knowledge , (esp.) higher knowledge i.e. the Supreme, Universal Self

praṣṭṛ प्रष्टृ- one who asks or inquires
adhyāyin अध्यायिन्- a student; ingaged in reading and note it has ties to adhvan - अध्वन्a road, a journey; hence a adhvanīna is a traveller
mumukṣu मुमुक्षु desirous of freeing ; eager to be free (from mundane existence) , striving after emancipation or mumukṣutva मुमुक्षुत्व - desire of liberation or of final emancipation
śiṣyaka शिष्यक- pupil or scholar
cela चेल -(also written chela) often called a disciple this word means a servant ( even a slave); This word also means garment or clothes from cil चिल् to put on clothes or garments.
Sannyāsa we know is the notion of renunciation, and it kinda looks like this:
saṃyamin संयमिन् is one who restrains or curbs or subdues; it is self-controlled.
saṃyas संयस्is to make effort. It is rooted in yas यस्- to strive, or exert one's self.
Some like to break up the word to saṃ + ni + ās which roughly means to throw down completely. What is thrown? All worldly ties. What is key is saṃ or sam सम्- this is to join together, union, thoroughness , completeness. And some write it like this sannyāsin.

It is said there is two kinds of saṃyamin:
vividiṣā विविदिषा- to find, discover, obtain.
vidvat विद्वत्- one who knows , knowing , understanding , learned , intelligent , wise.
Satyakāma सत्यकाम- lover of truth
One of the well-known seekers found in the Chāndogya Upaniṣad is śvetaketu;
śvetaketu; श्वेतकेतु śveta + ketu śveta श्वेत is white, of a comet, bright, of a pupil + ketu केतु - bright appearance, clearness; also means intellect, discernment. So śvetaketu is that pupil that is bright, clear with strong intellect and discernment.
praṇām & dhanyavāda

yajvan
20 April 2009, 04:30 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

Namasté

...adding to the list

antevāsin अन्तेवासिन् - a pupil or adhyāyin¹ who dwells near or in the house of the teacher.This also infers the antevāsin provides services, maintains the home, etc. of the teacher ( guru, śāstri¹, etc). This service is recognized as guru-śuśrūṣā , reverence to the guru.

praṇām

words

adhyāyin अध्यायिन्- a student or śiṣyaka शिष्यक- pupil or scholar
śāstri - one who knows traditional doctrine
guru-śuśrūṣā गुरु शुश्रूषा- reverence , obedience , service (śuśrūṣā) to the guru.