PDA

View Full Version : The true meaning of Brahmacharya

orlando
05 July 2006, 11:52 AM
Namaste all.
I'd like to know the exact meaning of the word Brahmacharya.
I know tha it means chastity and control of the senses.
Does "control of the senses" mean only chastity in all sense or does it mean to take under total control all the senses?I mean:not listening to music at all,not to watch television at all,etc.

Regards,
Orlando.

Parnah Dhanika
23 July 2006, 06:17 PM
Brahmacharya means an acharya who delves in knowledge of brahman

He needs to have mental chastity as well as physical until marriage

Masturbation is not permitted for seminal energy is developed from spiritual energy, thus doin any of such acts will incur losses of spiritual energy. If we dont, the seminal energy is reabsorbed back into our system as spiritual energy. 'wet dreams' are however permitted, for it is lost naturally, and is considered to be 'impure'(the word used is something else) seminal energy.

Atman
18 May 2007, 07:06 AM
Go to www.celibacy.info (http://www.celibacy.info)- it explains all about the chaste life of God seekers.

yajvan
18 May 2007, 08:59 AM
Hari Om
~~~~~~

Brahmacharya means an acharya who delves in knowledge of brahman
He needs to have mental chastity as well as physical until marriage

Namaste Parnah,
this is a good explaination... If I may let me add from a post I made some weeks back but cannot find the link to it that adds some dimension to Brahmaachara:

It's said that contol, or self -control specifically brings all the fruits/benfits/results of the following.
Brahmachara - 'chara' is conduct , and Brahman as we know is Fullness, wholeness of Being, the Bhuma ( or Full plenum of all seen and unseen). Hence, bramachara is continence and is the 'conduct' of Brahman.

Vedic rituals, called Yajya - these can be called Sattrayana. Sattra is yajya and sat is Truth or Being; Trayana is the way [ 'ayana' is a presession; 'a-yana' is eternal, without ending ] or attainment of freedom - so one free's oneself by the contact with Sat or Being/Truth; Though these Yajya, one gains this benefit; yet self-control is equal to this and gives the same benefits.

Observance of silence, maunam - is self control, and one controls speech, and one gains the same benefits of brahmachara;

Anasakyana, or fasting - control of the senses is equivalent to brahmachara and gives the same results i.e one gains merely by
self-control.

Transcending the mind/thoughts and the relative field - is yajya , and is therefore equal to brahmachara; One 'gives up' the relative field of existence, per se, and left with the Wholeness of SELF. One gains benefits of bramachara.

Again, just another view of this Brahmachara as many see it as celibecy but is much more.

pranams,