PDA

View Full Version : What of this Soma?

yajvan
30 March 2009, 01:28 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

Namasté

On another post the notion of soma came up. The entire 9th maṇḍala of the ṛg veda is dedicated to this soma, hence its level of importance in the veda.

On the surface many view this as some kind of elixir/libation made from the soma plant. This could be yet I have not seen a soma plant or have I found anyone that has harvested this creeper ( that has been actively looking).

As it goes with the ṛṣi-s of the veda, they speak on multiple levels. So when it comes to this soma there is another view on this matter - one of adhyātma jñāna (or knowledge of the Supreme or spirit).

Let me offer the following discussion and an attempt at one translation I think is compelling - any errors are attributable to me.

ṛg veda (some write ṛk veda) 10.85.3, ṛṣi sūrya, anuṣṭubh chandas or meter ( I may stand corrected on the ṛṣi )

somaṃ manyate papivan yat sampiṃṣantyoṣadhim |
somaṃ yambrahmāṇo vidurna tasyāśnāti kaścana ||

soma (somaṃ) the drinkers (papivan) prepare (yat) placed together/near
~crushed~ (sam-piṣanti) imagine (manyate) the creeper/herb (ośadhiṁ) |

soma (somaṃ) the wise (vidurna) brāhmins (brahmāṇo) support (yam) or
satisfied with (kaścana) that not (na) ~nobody~ ever (tasa) eats (aśnati) ||

The creeper soma, the drinkers prepare ~crush~, imagine they are drinking soma elixir, (yet) that soma which the brāhmins (enlightened) know (viduḥ), is something nobody ever eats.

That is, this soma juice that is prepared is a symbol, a hint (saṃketa) representing something much more profound then an elixir or libation.

Another view of this same śloka is offered by R.L. Kasyap, from the Śrī Aurobindo Kapāli Śāstri Institute of Vedic Culture (Bangalore), he translates it thus:
The ritualists may regard soma as a creeper to be crushed for its juice, used in the ritual but to the wise (brāhmaṇaḥ), soma is not something to be drunk.
Another from Ralph T.H. Griffith, a westerner, who has translated most of the Vedas some years back suggests the following translation:
One thinks, when they have brayed the plant, that he hath drunk the Soma's juice; Of him whom Brahmans truly know as soma no one ever tastes.
Another consideration from a jyotiṣ POV from the HDF Post on amāvāsya¹ :
We also know 'sat' as Supreme, Brahman. And Umā is Śrī Devī, Pārvatī. Now when sa(t) comes together (amā + vāsya¹) with Umā what is created Soma. That is when a+u are joined in sanskrit we get o. Hence s(a+u)ma = soma.
What do we call the moon? Soma . When Śiva and Pārvatī are joined together we get Soma. Hence for amāvāsya, the new moon, Śiva and Pārvatī come together, are enveloped, become Soma.That is, the wise know it's other then a fluid or juice. We are helped with this understanding by soma's other name as vanaspati - the lord (pati) of vana. This 'vana' is both a plant and is defined as a ray of light, of plenty and abundance. And looking at 'vanas' , it is loveliness.

For me, reviewing and reading about soma, it is the notion of 'delight'. It is more then a drink, juice or libation. It comes into existence via being 'pressed between the stones' of existence - that of actions that are performed. Within actions, there is delight and this squeezing (suta - pressed out , extracted ) brings out the delight or 'vanas' , it is loveliness of being, of existing.

It is the natural part of Brahman, ānanda ( joy) that resides in creation. It is experienced via the 'pressing of existence' of actions, that one gains joy. And for the realized being (jñānin) this joy/soma is present in their lives in waves.

The wise know it is not just a liquid that is poured into the mouth.

praṇām

words/references

somaṃ manyate papivan yat sampiṃṣantyoṣadhim |
somaṃ yambrahmāṇo vidurna tasyāśnāti kaścana ||
yat यत्- to exert one's self , take pains, to prepare
ośadhiṁ is ośadhi ओष a herb , plant , simple , esp. any medicinal herb ; a remedy in general
sam - 'placing together'
piṣanti piṣ पिश्- to form or fashion, make ready + anti अन्ति in the presence of , near
manyate or manya मन्य - thinking one's self to be , passing for , appearing as ~imagine~
somaṃ or soma सोम - from su meaning juice , extract; The traditional view is the soma plant , a creeper, its stalks (aṃśu) were to be pressed between stones (adri) by the priests , then sprinkled with water , and purified in a strainer (pavitra) ; mixed with clarified butter , flour , made to ferment , and then offered in libations to the gods or was drunk by the Brahmans. Yet we find in this mantra , that soma is more then a juice or libation.
papivan - papi पपि - to drink ( also m. Moon) + van वन् to prepare , make ready for
yam यम् to sustain , hold , hold up , support ; to hold or keep in , hold back , restrain
vidurna or vidura विदुर wise , intelligent also viduḥ विदु - intelligent, wise
na न- not, nor , that not
kaschan - kas कस् to go move, approach + can चन् - be satisfied with
tasa or tas तस्- to throw down, throwing
aśnati or aśnat अश्नत्- eat or consuming
amā + vāsya is reviewed in this HDF post - http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3354 (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3354)
adhyātma अध्यात्म spirit, Supreme + jñāna or knowledge/wisdom

mithya
02 April 2009, 01:55 AM
Soma is both literal and a figure of speech. So it cannot be denied that soma is a psychedelic that gives experiences. And to associate soma with joy seems to be a bit of a stretch, because a simpler word like ananda would do. Why then use the specific word soma, unless they were referring to the drug?

atanu
02 April 2009, 02:42 AM
Soma is both literal and a figure of speech. So it cannot be denied that soma is a psychedelic that gives experiences. And to associate soma with joy seems to be a bit of a stretch, because a simpler word like ananda would do. Why then use the specific word soma, unless they were referring to the drug?

Dear Mithya,

Soma is Vachaspati, Prajapati, Brahmanaspati, Param Vyom where Vak is infinite. It is the bliss sheath of Atman.

It is also the entheogen in both the ways.

Om

satay
14 April 2009, 03:30 PM
Namaskar,

I saw parts of a documentary (of course prepared by a person of the British origin) a few months ago in which the person in the documentary actually went to Afganistan and found a 'soma' plant. Apparently, there they still prepare a drink called soma from a plant that exists in the mountains of Afganistan. This plant is called soma. The idea was to show (incorrectly) that the 'Aryans' came to India via Afganistan and brought their habbit of driniking soma to India with them!

That's when I turned the channel...and chose to watch something else less rubbish...

rainycity
09 November 2009, 06:52 AM
http://hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=4628

atanu
21 November 2009, 03:21 AM
http://hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=4628

Namaste rainycity,

You say "Soma is the mind altering sacrament taken by the sages who authored the Rig Veda and praised it in its hymns". What you point to is not the Soma that Veda teaches of.

RV Book 1. HYMN XCI Soma.

1. Thou, Soma, art preeminent for wisdom; along the straightest path thou art our leader. Our wise forefathers by thy guidance, Indu, dealt out among the Gods their share of treasure.
------------
5 Thou, Soma, art the Lord of heroes, King, yea, Vrtra-slayer thou: Thou art auspicious energy.
------------
22 These herbs, these milch-kine, and these running waters, all these, O Soma, thou hast generated. The spacious firmament bast thou expanded, and with the light thou hast dispelled the darkness.

Om Namah Shivaya

sambya
21 November 2009, 09:40 AM
like satay said , i too have watched a documentary quite recently in google videos on the story of india starting from human migration from africa and ending in independence . as it was a reputed british production there was some less than satisfactory documentation of the freedom struggle . but apart from that the documentary was quite good . there we are led to some bazzar in peshawar where a drink still exists by the name of soma . there is also another urdu name of it . according to the documentators soma plant which was obtained from himalayas was mostly leafless and had lots of brownish twigs. (cant say where they got this information from ) . this drink(that we see in the documentary) was also made with such a brownish stem of some himalayan shrub . it was boiled and a liqour was made out of it much like tea , which the host consumed . he reported a light drowsiness after that .

a similar verse like rig veda is found in a medieval bengali devotional song to kali in bengal. here the celebrated kali sadhak says to his mother --" o mother , i dont drink sura (liqour) , i drink the sudha(nectar) of kali's name . it is my mind alone which made me intoxicated but to the common men it is the sura(liqour) that have made me intoxicated " .

charlebs
16 April 2011, 07:30 AM
Namaskar,

I saw parts of a documentary (of course prepared by a person of the British origin) a few months ago in which the person in the documentary actually went to Afganistan and found a 'soma' plant. Apparently, there they still prepare a drink called soma from a plant that exists in the mountains of Afganistan. This plant is called soma. The idea was to show (incorrectly) that the 'Aryans' came to India via Afganistan and brought their habbit of driniking soma to India with them!

That's when I turned the channel...and chose to watch something else less rubbish...

I agree with you, to say that aryans made the hindustani family as it were is pure speculation on the part of jealousy for true wisdom. the english used it as an excuse to further extort india.
hitler was mad with the idea, and actually raided india for their knowledge...

Crijptex
12 June 2011, 09:46 PM
I am thankful for the records saved in Sanskrit but looking at all oldreligions and the comparison between them and the Vedas I can say that thestart point of man (beside the way it is created) we can say that is was worldwidethere we find the same stories all over and to my humble opinion the creek mythologyhas a very close resemblance with the Vedic stories just the names are differentand the same point in all religions is to pray to god thus the Europeans don’t tryto steal from the Hindus but they are getting back to the original roots of thebelieve now the problem of some of the translators from the Hindu religiousbooks where Christians (Catholics in the first place) they are already bias tothe whole concept of Hinduism. Thus there work must be taken with care andbetter checked for proper interpretation. Remember for almost the 2000 years ofChristianity and Muslim suppression ofreligion the so called Pagan (western version of the Vedic religion) has beenforced out and now people are getting back into it and thank full for the Vedicbooks we can find the true way of the Goddess and God

Hope to explain the new trend going on in the west not stealing but gettingback into it.

dogra
26 August 2011, 10:44 AM
Here is some more information about meaning of soma:

http://agniveer.com/3965/soma-alcohol-and-vedas/

Soma has multiple meanings. However the core essence is that Soma refers to something that produces happiness, peace, relaxation and enthusiasm. Probably that is why in later era, its usage as synonym of alcohol or intoxicant got popular

Thus, Rigveda 1.91.22 states that:
“O Soma, You alone create the medicines that heal us. You alone create the water that quenches our thirst. You alone create all moving objects, sense organs and living beings and also give us this life. You have provided expanse to this universe and you alone enlighten the world to eradicate darkness.”
Now only a fool would claim that Soma refers to any intoxicant or alcohol when Soma is said to be creator of universe, stars, life, objects etc. Very clearly Soma refers to the Supreme Lord – the Ishwar or God.

yajvan
26 August 2011, 07:22 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

Here is the conundrum regarding the veda-s. They are not intended for those steeped in ignorance. When they read the most profound śāstra-s with a blemished view, what can they think? They can only relate to their world. Soma becomes alcohol, agni becomes fire, indra becomes the wielder of the thunderbolt. All interesting ideas but off the mark.

richo akshare parame vyoman yasmin deva adhi vishve nisheduh,
yastanna veda kim richa karishyatiya it tad vidus ta ime samasate ||
(rig veda, 1.164.39)
this says,
The veda or rks, reside in the transcendental field or akshara, of the highest (parame) etheral Being (vyoman) in which reside all the adhi vishve deva's (or impulses of creative intelligence, the laws of Nature), responsible for the whole manifest universe. He whose awareness is not open (na veda) to this field, what can the verses accomplish for him? Those who know this level of reality are established in evenness (samasate or rest contented) , in That ( tat or bhuma, fullness-wholeness of life).

What does this say in short? Of what use is the ved, for he whom is not becoming established in the Absolute? Where will be the value of this great knowledge other then words... it says, become established in atman, the avyayam (undecaying), the even-ness to reap the full value of the knowledge.

praṇām

yajvan
26 August 2011, 08:49 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

I wrote,

Here is the conundrum regarding the veda-s. They are not intended for those steeped in ignorance. When they read the most profound śāstra-s with a blemished view, what can they think? They can only relate to their world.
Let me give an example... bṛhadaraṇyaka upaniṣad ( some write bṛhadaraṇyakopaniṣad ) is composed of bṛhad+araṇyaka upaniṣad.

bṛhad = bṛhat = lofty , high , tall , great , large , wide , vast , abundant; this is also another name for brahman
araṇyaka = a forest Some think then that the naming of the bṛhad+araṇyaka is that upaniṣad that was written in the forest. This may be mildly interesting but lacks an appreciation of the subtler values of the name. If it was a upaniṣad that was written in the forest why not just call it araṇyaka upaniṣad and leave it at that ?

What is being offered is a few things in this name. That the knowledge is being offered is bṛhat - vast , lofty , great , large. It is a vast forest of knowledge. It also infers that, like a forest, it takes some navigation to get around, to find one's way. Hence another definition of bṛhat is 'brightly' and is considered the light to find one's way as it is brightly lit.

Yet too this bṛhat is also of wholeness , of bhuman, because it is another name for brahman - fullness, wholeness itself. Hence from a forest perspective it is composed of all sorts of trees, shrubs, flowers, animals, but together there is the wholeness of the forest, bṛhat.

There is also more implied to this name i.e. the forest dweller as the beneficiary of this wisdom, but will leave this for another time.

praṇām

Kumar_Das
21 October 2011, 09:11 AM
Namaskar,

Yup, I watched that documentary too, and out of my foolishness believed that. Untill I got educated and learnt its bonafide meaning.

Kumar_Das
21 October 2011, 09:14 AM
RV Book 1. HYMN XCI Soma.

1. Thou, Soma, art preeminent for wisdom; along the straightest path thou art our leader. Our wise forefathers by thy guidance, Indu, dealt out among the Gods their share of treasure.
------------
5 Thou, Soma, art the Lord of heroes, King, yea, Vrtra-slayer thou: Thou art auspicious energy.
------------
22 These herbs, these milch-kine, and these running waters, all these, O Soma, thou hast generated. The spacious firmament bast thou expanded, and with the light thou hast dispelled the darkness.

Thank you for this post!

Om namah Shivaya

Kumar_Das
21 October 2011, 09:22 AM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

Here is the conundrum regarding the veda-s. They are not intended for those steeped in ignorance. When they read the most profound śāstra-s with a blemished view, what can they think? They can only relate to their world. Soma becomes alcohol, agni becomes fire, indra becomes the wielder of the thunderbolt. All interesting ideas but off the mark.

richo akshare parame vyoman yasmin deva adhi vishve nisheduh,
yastanna veda kim richa karishyatiya it tad vidus ta ime samasate ||
(rig veda, 1.164.39)
this says,
The veda or rks, reside in the transcendental field or akshara, of the highest (parame) etheral Being (vyoman) in which reside all the adhi vishve deva's (or impulses of creative intelligence, the laws of Nature), responsible for the whole manifest universe. He whose awareness is not open (na veda) to this field, what can the verses accomplish for him? Those who know this level of reality are established in evenness (samasate or rest contented) , in That ( tat or bhuma, fullness-wholeness of life).

What does this say in short? Of what use is the ved, for he whom is not becoming established in the Absolute? Where will be the value of this great knowledge other then words... it says, become established in atman, the avyayam (undecaying), the even-ness to reap the full value of the knowledge.

praṇām

Indeed, I am grateful to the Lord, the Rishis for these Most Holy and Noble knowledge for passing us down this text.:) The Vedas protects itself by appearing as unintelligeble and perverse to those who are not qualified to its true meaning.

Om namah Shivayah