PDA

View Full Version : Namashkar from Bangladesh

Bishawjit
03 April 2009, 12:41 PM
Namashkar all. I am a hindu from Bangladesh. i found this site while i was looking for some articles on Veda.
I am glad that i could be a part of this great community. there are many customs of hinduism that i learnt in my childhood seemed to be based not on religion but on superstions. so i started to read all the scriptures. i tried to read Veda but i realized that such divine scripture can not and must not be understood literally. my Guruji advised me to read Bhagvat Gita first. so i am doing it right now.
Anyways i hope i will be able to get a deeper understanding of my religion with the help from all of you.

Kind Regards
Bishawjit

saidevo
03 April 2009, 09:35 PM
Namaste Bishawjit.

Welcome to HDF. How is the day to day situation for religious Hindus at home and outside in Bangladesh? Because statistics indicate that the percentage of Hindu population is quickly declining there. We also read some horrible stories of harassment on the Net. Are the Hindus allowed public religious processions, festivals and satsang there? Are the Hindu temples safe and Hindus are allowed to worship there peacefully? Do Brahmins chant Vedas there?

Welcome to HDF, once again.

Bishawjit
04 April 2009, 06:53 AM
Namaste Bishawjit.

Welcome to HDF. How is the day to day situation for religious Hindus at home and outside in Bangladesh? Because statistics indicate that the percentage of Hindu population is quickly declining there.

Namste saidevo and thank you for the welcome. non-resident hindus from BD are living very well specially in the west where they dont have to worry about any interference in their rituals. but here in BD its a bit complicated.

statistics indicate that the percentage of Hindu population is quickly declining there.

Unfortunately its true. the main reason is that the hindus here are proportionly more educated than muslims. for this reason they have a tendency to take 1 or 2 kids. but muslims have far greater birth rate of 3.5 per family.

We also read some horrible stories of harassment on the Net.

During the last government of Khaleda Zia along with her alliance with fundamentalist party Jamate-e -islami there were countless incidents of oppressions towards hindus, for example many hindu houses were brunt, properties illegally captured. Moreover, there was a widespread discrimination on the government job sector for us. but the situation has changed to some extent as Awami-league came to power. this party has a secular image and are sympathetic towards minority.

Are the Hindus allowed public religious processions, festivals and satsang there? Are the Hindu temples safe and Hindus are allowed to worship there peacefully?

Well, No secular government can change the core ideas that Islam hold towards kafirs. you may think me as a hate-monger. but the reality speaks for itself. let me give you two examples:

1] Hindu resturants are forcibly closed down along with the muslim one during the Ramjan [month long fasting] because muslims think merely seeing people eat will break their "roja" [fast] . besides no body is allowed to eat publicly from dawn to dusk even if he is not muslim. And of course kirtan and bhajons are indirectly prohibited during the "tarabi namj"[ 2-3 hour long prayer at night during the entire month of Ramjan].

2] you may know, Durga puja is the main Puja we celebrate. and in every year government deploys about 10-12 policemen at each puja center. Nobody can think of celebrating Durgapuja without police protection. although violence do not occurs regularly but they do happen most of the times.

There are so many things that cannot even say here because i am scared of online surveillance.

Unfortunately we must deal with these miseries, and there is no way out

Do Brahmins chant Vedas there?

Of course, they do.

Welcome to HDF, once again.

Thank you

devotee
04 April 2009, 11:02 AM
Namaste Bishwajit,

It feels so nice to hear a Hindu voice from Bangladesh, which has been under tremendous hate campaign against Hindus.

Welcome to the forum !

Bishawjit
04 April 2009, 02:53 PM
Namaste Bishwajit,

It feels so nice to hear a Hindu voice from Bangladesh, which has been under tremendous hate campaign against Hindus.

Welcome to the forum !

Namaste Devotee, thank you for the welcome.