PDA

View Full Version : Shiva Yoga

ConnieD
18 April 2009, 01:53 PM
I am inquiring about Shiva Yoga of vedic astrology. Should I inquire there?
I have been told, in another forum, I have Shiva Yoga.
My question really is what aspect of Shiva is the Shiva Yoga of vedic astrology?

yajvan
18 April 2009, 07:21 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

Namasté

I have been told, in another forum, I have Shiva Yoga. My question really is what aspect of Shiva is the Shiva Yoga of vedic astrology?

This post-string may be of interest - please read down the various postings offered:
http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2568 (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2568)

That said, there are all types of yoga's formed in one's chart.
Many talk as if there are two 'camps' of yoga-s:

yoga योग any junction , union , combination ; Yet this yoga also implies fitness , propriety , suitability ; a suitable or positive combination
ariṣṭa अरिष्ट - boding misfortune B.V. Raman offers 300 Important Combinations and that is just a start. Lets look at a Śiva yoga, Viṣṇu yoga and a Brahmā¹ yoga. Also note these 3 devatā own various rāśi-s¹ in the natal chart.

Śiva yoga forms when the lord of the 5th house (bhava) is in the 9th, the lord of the 9th is in the 10th, and the lord of the 10th is in the 5th. The 5th , 9th and 10th houses are very favorable and powerful.
Pending the grāhaka-s¹ involved ( ~planets~) the results or 'blessing' may be a commander of armies (today it could be a politition, a business person with many employees, etc . or even part of the military); this person has the capacity for wisdom and a virtuous life ; again pending the natural qualities of the grāhaka-s forming the yoga.
Viṣṇu yoga involves another divisional chart the 1/9th chart called the navamsa. This yoga occurs when when the 9th lord of the navamsa chart and the 10th lord of the navamsa chart join in the 2nd house ( in the birth chart) with the 9th lord, Viṣṇu yoga is formed. Again a very pleasant yoga i.e. enjoyable life, well versed, abundence, a devotee of Viṣṇu, etc.
Brahmā yoga is formed when Jupiter and Venus are in kendra-s¹ (1st, 4th, 7th or 10th position) from the lords of the 9th and 11th; Mercury is in a similar position from the lord of the lagna (ascendant) or the 10th house (bhava). Another fine yoga offering good foods, respected by brahmin-s and learned people; highly educated, long life is expected and charitable; bent on doing good deeds ( random acts of kindness). praṇām

words and references

rāśi राशि - a sign of the zodiac (as being a certain sum or quantity of degrees i.e. 30º); what does rāśi mean? A a heap , mass , pile , group , multitude , quantity.
bhava भाव - is a house e.g. 1st house, 10th house vs. a sign i.e. Aries. What does it mean ? That which is or exists ;becoming , being , existing , occurring , appearance ; manner of being , nature , temperament , character
grāhaka ग्राहक - one who seizes or takes captive ; from grāha ग्रह- seizing , laying hold of , holding i.e. a grāhaka ~seizes~ or influences the circumstances of the native. This is done via the tattva they manage and control.
kendra केन्द्र - some call quadrants - the 1st, 4th 7th and 10th bhava from the lagna OR from a given position.
brahmā - Observe that in the following derivatives - noun: brahma is used for nirguṇa brahman (Absolute, pure, without attributes); brahmā for saguṇa brahmā, ( with attributes) ie. the Lord . Yet in truth nirguṇa and saguṇa is total, full niṣkala ( partless).
B.V. Raman offers 300 Important Combinations - published by Mortilal Banarsidass, Delhi. ISBN 81-208-0843-6

ConnieD
19 April 2009, 04:58 PM
I read those. Thank you.

Siva yoga forms when the lord of the 5th house (bhava) is in the 9th, the lord of the 9th is in the 10th, and the lord of the 10th is in the 5th. The 5th , 9th and 10th houses are very favorable and powerful.
Pending the grhaka-s involved ( ~planets~) the results or 'blessing' may be a commander of armies (today it could be a politition, a business person with many employees, etc . or even part of the military); this person has the capacity for wisdom and a virtuous life ; again pending the natural qualities of the grhaka-s forming the yoga.
I don't know what planets (grahakas) and houses (bhavas) are involved.

note these 3 devat own various rasis in the natal chart.
I also do not know what divisional charts (rasis) these you refer to are.

The discussion was "Determination of Isht devta".

I had not seen that from astrology: I asked what are my Ishta Devata, Pälana Devata, and Guru Devata.

Here are the actual statements made that led to this question:
Your chara karakas
Highest degree planet - AK - Atmakaraka....Sun at 28:24
2nd Highest - AmK - Amatyakaraka......Jup at 26:05
3rd Highest - BK - Bhatrikaraka.....Mars at 24:20
4th Highest - MK - Matrikaraka.......Mercury at 22:59
5th Highest - PiK - Pitrikaraka.......Rahu at 20:42 (you have to subtract 9:18 from 30 deg as Rahu moves backwards and so has traveled 20:42 degrees)
6th Highest - PK - Putrakaraka.......Moon at 19:50
7th Highest - GK - Gnatikaraka......Saturn at 12:56
8th Highest - Dk - Darakaraka......Venus at 6:40

So your Sun is atmakaraka having traveled the furthest through a sign, and the sign it's in in the navamsha is your karakamsha, and that's Virgo. The 12th from your karakamsha is Leo, with no planets in it, so you take the lord to find the Ishta Devata, which is the Sun.

It doesn't look like it mentions this on the page, but you can't worship yourself (Sun being atmakaraka as well as 12th lord), so the next step is to look for planets conjoining or aspecting the atmakaraka itself in the navamsha chart. In your navamsha, the sun is joined with Ketu, and Ketu connects with Ganapati, so Ganapati would be your Ishta Deveta.

For the Dharma devata, you look to the 9th from your Virgo karakamsha and it has Jupiter, so then Indra or Sambashiva would be your Dharma devata.

For the Palana Devata, you look at the 6th from your Amatyakaraka (2nd highest karaka) which is Jupiter and then the 6th from Jupiter has Saturn in Libra, and Saturn connects with Brahma or Vishnu.

adding, in a "PM"

The ak sign being ruled by itself is supposed to show spiritual advancement. Then you have ak conjunct Ketu, the moksha indicator...and finally....sun + ketu is called 'shiva yoga' and it's also a spiritual yoga as well

A man helping with chart rectification wrote in a "PM":
The Ishta Devata idea is very interesting. The Sanjay Rath link in the thread is a very good one, too, although I feel out of my element with most of this stuff since I'm self-taught and have no teacher or guru. I can't really help you in determining how accurate it is because of that. Btw, I did notice that what Mommylonglocks wrote is at odds with the S. Rath page. His page states that when 12th from karakamsa is empty in navamsa than the strongest rasi/sign aspect to the 12th shows the Ishta Devata. But, she sounds like she knows what she's doing, so maybe there are 2 ways of going about it.

Then she wrote:
And well, about the empty 12th from Karakamsha, if there's planets aspecting it, those only will lead you/help you get on the right path to your Ishta, but they don't actually represent the Ishta itself. Here is a quote from the site It maybe noted that planetary aspects indicate directions to the deity and not the deity itself. It also says to take the strongest planet aspecting, so like in your chart, you have Mercury in Aries and Saturn in Libra in the navamsha aspecting Leo. (That's with sign aspects....Leo is aspected by Aries, Libra and Capricorn and the planets in them). Sign aspects are explained in the Jaimini Sutras, but briefly all fixed signs are aspected by the planets in the the movable signs but not the sign next to it, so Leo is aspected by Aries, Libra and Capricorn, but not Cancer...the moveable signs are aspected by the fixed signs, but not the one next to it and then the mutable signs are aspected by the other mutable signs. And well, the strongest indicator is Saturn, as it's exalted, so everything related to Saturn would help lead you to your Ishta Devata. So like older people for instance are an indication of Saturn, that sort of thing. Or ascetics and I think farmers also are supposed to be Saturn like too. Then of course things like at work, or maybe during a hardship time etc..

The only thing that I'm not sure of about your Ishta Devata is the fact that there's Shiva yoga (so your Ishta could be Shiva) and there might be a special rule for that, but normally if a planet is conjunct the atmakaraka (when there are no planets in the 12th like in your chart) then that planet shows you the Ishta Devata, and yours was Ketu, which is Ganesh/Ganapati. I know that they always say to just go with who you feel is the best for you and that you are drawn to. Do you like Ganesh?

And yes...I feel really good about Mr Karve too...I think he always goes by Yogi Karve. I especially feel very good about that article where at the end it's mentioned how he requests Jyotishis to not charge money for their services. I always believe that's how it should be and I got a good feeling thinking about him saying that.

And about Shiva yoga, I actually have the yoga too, but in my rasi chart (sun in any trine relation with Ketu is a Shiva yoga) and I've never looked too deep into it, but I have known it's supposed to be a spiritual yoga as that's what I've heard. There's a myth it connects with though....which I really don't know too much about...but there's a myth where Shiva cut off Ganesh's head and part of the myth is that there's a chance to get it back. (It's the significance of getting a head back that I don't really understand what it may mean, but maybe since you know some Hinduism then you might?) But like, so when you have a Shiva yoga (Sun+Ketu is just like saying Shiva+Ganesh) then this means that Ganesh has gotten a new head. For me...though I'm not sure if this is too literal....I thought it connected with maybe my liking the mantra Om Namah Shivaya, but I'm not sure.

She has suggested I doublecheck.

The senior monk said I was born on the cusp, adding I would be told my birth time.

Maybe Yogi Karve?

The positions of the planets (grahakas) posted in the quote are slightly off. The chart rectification that forum has, so far, now places the birth time in Jagannath Hora between 12:28 14 and 12:30 PM when the family physician signed the birth certificate because the Sagittarius Navamsha Lagna is a better fit.

However I was somewhat incredulous about the Ishta Devata, Pälana Devata, and Guru Devata. I had experiences of Surya, Rudra and Soma.

I have now read Soma is Shiva together with his Shakti. I have read how Shiva was tired from a fight and she finished off the demon. However, the point is, there are different manifestations: Shiva, Hari and so forth.

It is my understanding vedic astrology has a great deal of information, and with an accurate birth time, things fall into place. It is also my general understanding, the natal chart information contains our heritage and our connection with the universe. I read that the Naabhasa Yogas are the umbilical cord. However, of the heritage of our biological parents or to... the universe?

Because vedic astrologers in that forum have said I am living a moksha lifetime, I am interested in completing everything on my "agenda" this lifetime. I had thought I was only supposed to "realize" but there is so much more. I don't want to fail in my life's purpose.

I have been told the real guru showed up on the time indicated by my vedic astrology. He said very little. He did say I am not to offer flowers, etc. He also said I am not to touch his feet, or any of that. He said, no worship. He gave me a mantra and told me how to say the mantra. He gave me instruction for meditation. After years, he said, basically "Go forth Grasshopper, my son". (little joke). The fact is, he did not indicate I would live there. I had my own apartment the entire time. He did say it is time to go.

I am a westerner. When I prayed, "Will the real G-d please stand up"? I got an experience very much like the I AM G-d. Nevertheless, there is a lot to life and living, death and moksha, and that is for sure.

I would like to know my relationship to the deities indicated, in vedic astrology, for me.

Will you, or others in the forum, tell me more about the inherent questions in this post?

yajvan
19 April 2009, 06:01 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

Namasté

Connie D writes,

The discussion was "Determination of Isht devta".
Please consider reading Posts 1,2 & 3 on this matter of Iṣṭa-devatā :
http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=746 (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=746)
This link brings you to post 1, you will clearly see 2 & 3 from this location.

The positions of the planets (grahakas) posted in the quote are slightly off. The chart rectification that forum has, so far, now places the birth time in Jagannath Hora between 12:28 14 and 12:30 PM when the family physician signed the birth certificate because the Sagittarius Navamsha Lagna is a better fit.
This can be rectified by a capable jyotiṣa based upon janma vighati¹ birth time calculations. In a nutshell specific birth times yield male or female births. If your existing time suggests a male birth ( assuming you are female) then you can look to the closer time that gives a female birth. This is by calculation and should be part of the jyotiṣa's abilities. Are there other ways? Sure.

praṇām

words

janma vighati - there is a birth rectification procedure called janma vighati that allows one to fine tune ones time of birth. One vighati = 24 seconds , so the 'resolution' on time is very good. More info on this takes time to explain and is geared to one who has studied jyotiṣ (jyotish) for some time. So, perhaps you may want to find some information on this, as it gives not only a more refined birth time, but also the graha with great influence on you.
vighāta is 'breaking off or in pieces' and it applies to jyotiṣ. As the small piece we are looking at is 24 seconds; vighāta also means removal , prohibition , prevention , interruption , impediment , obstacle , yet this is not appropos for this application commented on.

ConnieD
19 April 2009, 07:41 PM
For calculation, according to instructions Sanjay Rath
http://srath.com/lessons/beginner/creation2.htm

Convert Longitude Degrees, Minutes, Seconds to Decimal Degrees
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/audio/bickel/DDDMMSS-decimal.html

Sunrise sunset
http://www.sunrisesunset.com/custom_srss_calendar.asp

Time and date (verifying no DST)
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/timezone.html?n=77&syear=1925

Sanjay Rath here http://srath.com/lessons/beginner/creation2.htm states: Determine if the planet is exalted (male) or debilitated (female).

I got Moon.

I do not know how to determine if exalted (male) or debilitated (female).

At http://varahamihira.blogspot.com/2004/06/janma-vighatika-graha.html I read:

The Moon, Venus, Ketu indicates females.

If the Janma Vighatika Graha is exalted or conjoin a exalted planet, then it indicate male birth, where as if it is debilitated or placed with a debilitated planet, then it indicate a female birth.

From time immemorial the rishis, started all the activities of the day with the Sunrise. However, this does not mean that at that point of sunrise, the upper limb of Sun has actually risen on the horizon, rather it was based on the moment they could see the first ray of Sun on the horizon. We know that due to a phenomenon called refraction, the Sun seems to have risen on the horizon a few minutes before the actual rise of the upper limb. As this is the moment, when we can see the first ray of the Sun, it heralds the start of the day and all reckoning should happen from that moment of Sunrise.

So in short, the Sunrise definition for the purpose reckoning the birth time is the apparent rise of the Sun’s upper limb.

In calculation, I had selected civil twilight.

Twi: 4:18am
Sunrise: 4:53am
Sunset: 8:10pm
Twi: 8:45pm
Moonrise: 1:46am
Moonset: 2:10pm

However, http://www.sunrisesunset.com/custom_srss_calendar.asp offers selection Civil Twilight, Nautical Twilight, or Astronomical Twilight.

Do I select astronomical twilight? For astronomical twilight:

Twi A: 2:38am
Twi: 4:18am
Sunrise: 4:53am
Sunset: 8:10pm
Twi: 8:45pm
Twi A: 10:25pm
Moonrise: 1:46am
Moonset: 2:10pm

Is astronomical twilight the first limb of the Sun?

Recalling calculus for navigation, isn't sunrise always calculated on the first limb of the Sun?

Do I use 2:38 or 4:18 or 4:53am for the calculation?

yajvan
19 April 2009, 08:34 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

Namasté

For calculation, according to instructions Sanjay Rath.
Is astronomical twilight the first limb of the Sun?

Recalling calculus for navigation, isn't sunrise always calculated on the first limb of the Sun?

Following Sanjay's instuctions you cannot go wrong.

Sun's first rising - some say limb others say center...
I will need to look at some of my notes - Yet, I believe Sanjay suggests the center of the sun . That said, take a look at this post:
http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1715&highlight=sun+horizon

praṇām

yajvan
20 April 2009, 12:31 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~
Namasté

Sun's first rising
Jyotiṣa Varāha-mihira ācārya says when the upper limb of the sun is in view on the horizon, this is sunrise. Some others consider the central portion of the sun on the horizon. Why would one care?

The difference is roughly 1 min 15 sec. That change influences the position of the lagna and higher level varga charts ( 1/30th division, 1/60th division) and changes the positions of the graha's in these vargas ( or divisional charts).

praṇām

ConnieD
20 April 2009, 04:39 PM
edit: For 12:28:14 I found Venus, not Moon. Is it Venus, after all, and not Rahu? It would help if I could count, really.

I used 4:53 am for sunrise for calculations.

Is it possible Jagannatha Hora 7.32 software is using the center of the sun?

Jagannatha Hora 7.32 has

Sunrise 5:00:07 am
Sunset: 8:04:20 pm
Janma Ghatis 18.6713 (note: I did not get that "remainder". I had 8 rounded up to the next higher integer.)

Yoga Soubhagya (Ve)
Karana Vanija (Ve)
Hora Lord Venus (5 min sign: Pi)
Mahakala Hora Mars (5 min sign: Li)
Kaala Lord Sun (Mahakala: Sun)

Karaka Tithi Sukla Trayodasi (Ju)
Karaka Yoga Siva (Me)

Jagannatha Hora 7.32 software also has

Yogi Venus
Sahayogi Sun
Avayogi Jupiter

2nd chakra ruled by Venus

special deities?
Brahma Mercury
Rudra Mercury
Maheswara Jupiter

1st chakra ruled by Mercury

to be found elsewhere in that Jagannatha Hora 7.32 software.

I also used the "google earth" latitude and longitude for the actual location of birth, because accuracy relies on accuracy of both time and location.

I am interested in the higher division charts. D-30 and D-60 purport to show things I have been asking.

I have been looking at the D-9 lagna changes. I have been looking at when the next lagna changes, because Jagannatha Hora 7.32 software will calculate that.

For example, the janma vighati is 24 seconds. In the time interval of 12:28:14 to 12:30:59 has a half dozen 24 second intervals.

I made vigati graha calculations. Are these the janma vighati?

I looked at the lagna changes.

There were interesting lagna changes were in D-60.

12:28 13.998000000003 D-60 Lagna Gemini Puna Nakshatra
Note: No Viparita Raja Yoga Success after pressures or someone else's losses
Gaja-Kesari Yoga Famous and virtuous
Kalapadruma/Parijata King, principled, warrior, prosperous, strong, kind
Raja/Dharma-Karmadhipati Dutiful and high achiever
Parvata Fortunate, charitable, eloquent, easy-going, famous
Kalpadruma/Parijata King, principled, warrior, prosperous, strong, kind
Raja Sambandha (5X)

12:28 13.998000000003 "plus" 10 seconds D-60 Lagna changes to Cancer Puna Nakshatra
Ruchaka Natural leader, enterprising and bold
Vesi Balanced, truthful and happy
Mahayogada Power, authority and wealth
Rajayoga Successful and high achievements
Daama/Daamini Rich, famous, helpful, many children
Viparita Raja Yoga Success after pressures or someone else's losses (2X)

12:30 57.998000000003 D-60 Lagna changes to Leo Magh Nakshatra
Ruchaka Natural leader, enterprising and bold
Vesi Balanced, truthful and happy
Yogada (GL) Power and authority,
Raja Yoga Successful and high achievements
Raja Sambandha (4X)
Viparita Raja Yoga Success after pressures or someone else's losses (2X)

D-60: all have "Paasa Talkative, characterless, may be imprisoned"
and all have "Rajayoga Becomes a king even if from a lowly family"

I do not know if I am arriving at birth chart rectification.

I "feel" like the last two D-60 because I have always been a natural leader and I read D-60 represents who we are and why we came into this incarnation. I read that in a vedic astrology discussion forum.

I would like to know this.

I looked at the Sahamas "special points". The "pattern" was resonate.

However I do not know how to look for timing of events. I also do not know how to ascertain when yogas are effective, modified or cancelled nor the timing of the effect.

Am I Shiva Yoga, as said?

yajvan
20 April 2009, 06:21 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~
Namasté

Is it possible Jagannatha Hora 7.32 software is using the center of the sun?

Jhora Software allows for the selection of the sun's rising to be :

the center of the sun's disk to truly be on the eastern horizon
the tip of the sun's disk (a.k.a. limb) to truly be on the eastern horizon -or-

the center of the sun's disk to apparently be on the eastern horizon
the tip of the sun's disk (a.k.a. limb) to appearantly be on the eastern horizon The last two which allows for 'apparently be on the eastern ' involves refraction of the sun's rays.

These 4 selections are the ones a capable jyotiṣa may use.

praṇām

yajvan
20 April 2009, 08:45 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~
Namasté ConnieD

you have asked,

Am I Shiva Yoga, as said?

There are few jyotiṣa's (to none) that will be able to divine your critical birth data i.e. date of birth, your birth location, male or female ( it does make a difference) by the information provided in the previous posts..

And you ask many good questions, yet to respond to them in a meaningful way i.e. learning, insight, foundation building, not to mention the question behind the question that arises (always), is a month of information being asked.

So , for the jyotiṣa's here that wish to apply the following rule:

Śiva yoga forms when the lord of the 5th house (bhava) is in the 9th, the lord of the 9th is in the 10th, and the lord of the 10th is in the 5th. The 5th , 9th and 10th houses are very favorable and powerful.
They will need:

Date of birth - using the format Month, Day, Year
Location - City, State, Country
Time of birth: Hours-minutes-seconds
Male/Female Identification
If at the time of birth was Daylight Savings Time in effect?I am not planning to do the chart, but thought to help you and others that may wish to pursue this. Also if you feel this information is quite personal and you do not wish to post it, that is fine and understandable - It's like posting your drivers licence number - a personal thing. What then can happen is to see if someone wishes to assist you, and then you can take your questions off line with that person on this matter.

Perhaps this then is a course of action you may wish to follow.

praṇām

ConnieD
21 April 2009, 04:38 PM
I see I can receive PM's in the forum, by clicking on my name.

However, I do feel that everyone can learn by a thorough discussion and it is better to discuss a real person, than a movie star, because it is impossible to know the inner life of the movie star.

I am willing to go either way.

I see you are a moderator. What do you think?

I have the data ready.

yajvan
21 April 2009, 05:47 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~
Namasté ConnieD

I see I can receive PM's in the forum, by clicking on my name.
However, I do feel that everyone can learn by a thorough discussion and it is better to discuss a real person, than a movie star, because it is impossible to know the inner life of the movie star. I see you are a moderator. What do you think? I have the data ready.

Yes, I am the moderator, but only of this jyotiṣ folder/subject matter.
If you are comfortable with supplying your data, then that is fine.

I hope others entertain your request and look at your chart.

praṇām

ConnieD
21 April 2009, 06:15 PM
Thank you.

June 13, 1947 12:28:14 - 12:30:59 Sagittarius Navamsha Lagna and family physician signed birth certificate
Highland Park, Wayne County, MI 83W 6 18.50 42 N 23 42.53 Google Earth
-5 hours GMT September 30, 1946 - 25 April 25, 1948 verified ref: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/timezone.html?n=77&syear=1925
This was called "winter time" and is a state-by-state determined time adjustment for 1946-1947.
Female

Please answer by PM or in the forum, either way is acceptable.

yajvan
26 April 2009, 10:11 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

Namasté Connie D.

I was hoping another jyotiṣa would take a look at your chart. That said, let me address the one item I discussed and take ownership, Śiva yoga .

Based upon the information provided, I do not see a Śiva yoga in your chart per the following definition:

Śiva yoga forms when the lord of the 5th house (bhava) lord is in the 9th, the lord of the 9th is in the 10th, and the lord of the 10th is in the 5th. The 5th , 9th and 10th houses are very favorable and powerful.
Pending the grāhaka-s¹ involved ( ~planets~) the results or 'blessing' may be a commander of armies (today it could be a politician, a business person with many employees, etc . or even part of the military); this person has the capacity for wisdom and a virtuous life ; again pending the natural qualities of the grāhaka-s forming the yoga.

Also note I applied an average birth time for the calculation: (12:28:14 + 12:30:59) / 2 = 12:29:37
This did yield 'Sagittarius Navamsha Lagna' per your note.

Lets compare the Śiva yoga rule mentioned and compare it to what is formed in your chart:
1. The lord of the 5th , Jupiter, resides in the 3rd house not the 9th house
2. The lord of the 9th house , Mars, resides in the 9th and not the 10th house.
3. The lord of the 10th, Venus, resides in the 10th house and not in the 5th.

One may think ' well maybe the jyotiṣa that said a the Śiva yoga forms, meant the D9 or the Navamsa chart'.

The 5th lord does not reside in the 9th; Yet the 9th is in fact in the 10th house, and the 10th house lord is in fact in the 9th, good placements, yet the 5th house does not reside in the 9th house, and the Śiva yoga rule is not fulfilled ( again still beneficial placements).

One more view - perhaps the jyotiṣa is viewing the Śiva yoga from the Arudha Lagna in the rasi or birth chart. This does not occur - the 5th lord is not placed in the 9th, nor does the 9th lord reside in the 10th house; nor does the 10th lord reside in the 5.
This then fulfills the question posed on Śiva yoga.

Data used:
Natal Chart ConnieD
Date: June 13, 1947
Time: 12:29:37
Time Zone: 5:00:00 (West of GMT)
Place: 83 W 16' 19", 42 N 23' 43"

Sunrise: 5:00:47
Sunset: 20:05:08
Janma Ghatis: 18.7009

Body Longitude Nakshatra Pada Rasi Navamsa
Lagna 29 Le 18' 51.94" UPha 1 Le Sg
Sun - AK 28 Ta 44' 12.48" Mrig 2 Ta Vi
Moon - PK 19 Pi 52' 03.98" Reva 1 Pi Sg
Mars - BK 24 Ar 20' 36.80" Bhar 4 Ar Sc
Mercury - MK 22 Ge 59' 37.91" Puna 1 Ge Ar
Jupiter (R) - AmK 26 Li 05' 23.87" Visa 2 Li Ta
Venus - DK 6 Ta 41' 07.54" Krit 4 Ta Pi
Saturn - GK 12 Cn 56' 19.39" Push 3 Cn Li
Rahu - PiK 8 Ta 21' 26.85" Krit 4 Ta Pi
Ketu 8 Sc 21' 26.85" Anu 2 Sc Vi
Maandi 5 Cn 04' 15.35" Push 1 Cn Le
Gulika 23 Ge 41' 21.96" Puna 2 Ge Ta
Bhava Lagna 20 Vi 38' 39.54" Hast 4 Vi Cn
Hora Lagna 12 Cp 50' 58.67" Srav 1 Cp Ar
Ghati Lagna 19 Sg 27' 56.06" PSha 2 Sg Vi
Vighati Lagna 22 Le 32' 43.00" PPha 3 Le Li
Varnada Lagna 29 Ta 18' 51.94" Mrig 2 Ta Cp
Sree Lagna 25 Sc 44' 39.40" Jye 3 Sc Aq

praṇām

ConnieD
29 April 2009, 12:04 PM
Thank you, yajvan.

This question started because I asked: What is my Ishta Devata, Pälana Devata, and Guru Devata.

I am, of course, interested in chart rectification.

I read: "AL, A1..A9 and UL are arudra lagnas. An Arudha Pada of a house or a planet (graha) mirrors the entity. It indicates "Maya", or 'illusions' assosiated with that entity. Arudhas of houses indicate illusions or perceptions of others around areas of life of the native, and Arudhas of planets indicate illusion or perception about entities indicated by the planets".

The Arudra Lagna?

It is helpful to know the illusions about oneself and that of others to you. I am interested, of course.

I am interested in any and all truth available in vedic astrology.

yajvan
29 April 2009, 01:49 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

Namasté

Please consider reading Posts 1,2 & 3 on this matter of Iṣṭa-devatā :
http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=746 (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=746)
This link brings you to post 1, you will clearly see 2 & 3 from this location.

Arudha lagna : http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?p=13124#post13124 (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?p=13124)

praṇām

ConnieD
01 May 2009, 01:32 PM
yajvan,

I did.

This may seem quite odd, but I do not know if I count clockwise or counterclockwise. I also do not know if I count a bhava (house) the graha (planet) is in, starting with 1 in that bhava (house) or graha (planet).

In addition, you have list 10 grahas, including Rahu, Ketu and Lagna. In one place, you explain Ketu is not counted. However, lagna is listed and there is no explanation lagna is not counted.

I also do not know, why, if the graha having the greatest longitude, in the list you have provided in the instruction about Ishtadevata, includes the lagna (ascendant) then, in my chart, why is the Atmakaraka (AK) not the lagna (ascendant)?

Lagna has the greatest longitude, therefore Kalki is indicated.

yajvan
01 May 2009, 03:37 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

Namasté

This may seem quite odd, but I do not know if I count clockwise or counterclockwise. I also do not know if I count a bhava (house) the graha (planet) is in, starting with 1 in that bhava (house) or graha (planet).

In addition, you have list 10 grahas, including Rahu, Ketu and Lagna. In one place, you explain Ketu is not counted. However, lagna is listed and there is no explanation lagna is not counted.

I also do not know, why, if the graha having the greatest longitude, in the list you have provided in the instruction about Ishtadevata, includes the lagna (ascendant) then, in my chart, why is the Atmakaraka (AK) not the lagna (ascendant)?

Lagna has the greatest longitude, therefore Kalki is indicated.

Connie D,
there are many ( many) rules. Yet I cannot discern from your post what questions you are asking and about what. I do not wish to guess as that is not wise. Can you be so kind that when you create an inquiry provide some headings or subject title to your questions. This will help.

I will assume:

Iṣṭa-devatā calculation is your first question. The count goes in the same direction of the zodiac , house 1,2,3,4,5 , like that. Not 1,12,11,10.
Note you count the first house that the atma-karaka is in also... you do not start with the next house. So atma-karaka house is count 1, then the next sign is 2, then 3,4,5, like that.
Ketu is not counted as a possible atmakaraka - I do not wish to explain at this point - Ketu is not a candidate for this calcuation and for this particular approach.
Why is lagna not the AK? Because AK is a location, not a grāhaka. It would be like saying, why is my house not talking to me? Its a location , not an entity that communicates. See my point.NOW all that said, your AK is the Sun. your Iṣṭa-devatā is (IMHO) is the Sun also , as the 12th from the sun is the sign of Leo. Leo is owned by the Sun AND There is no planet (grāhaka) in the 12th house, or stongly aspecting Leo; hence it is the owner of the house ( Sun) that takes the Iṣṭa-devatā position. There is harmony between AK and Iṣṭa-devatā - this is a blessing in your chart.

AND , ketu ( the karaka of moksa) resides with the Sun - you are again blessed if you are spiritually oriented. - again a blessing in the chart. AND Sun is in the 10th house both in the rasi chart ( birth chart) and in the navamsa ( D9) chart , which it receives dig-bala, directional strength - another blessing.

You now decide who the Iṣṭa-devatā will be in terms of form and formless. You have all the information needed and the blessings of the graha-s to move forward... pls. avoid squandering the opportunity of AK & Iṣṭa-devatā in harmony - and as you would be selling diamonds for the price of cabbage.

praṇām

ConnieD
04 May 2009, 08:11 PM
Thank you, yagvan.

I have received a better answer than the question asked.

I have asked for further clarification of the original assertion shiva yoga is to be found in my vedic astrology charts. I have the answer.

I am asking is it true:

Is Sun/Ketu in trines another Shiva Yoga?

I am also asking:

Do I have Sun/Ketu in trines?

yajvan
04 May 2009, 08:30 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

Namasté ConnieD

Thank you, yagvan.
I have asked for further clarification of the original assertion shiva yoga is to be found in my vedic astrology charts. I have the answer. I am asking is it true: Is Sun/Ketu in trines another Shiva Yoga? I am also asking: Do I have Sun/Ketu in trines?

Do we know what a trikona is first? and who owns these trines and who owns the kendras-s? This too is an excellent question and resides in this Jyotish folder for viewing.

That said, the definition:

Śiva yoga forms when the lord of the 5th house (bhava) lord is in the 9th, the lord of the 9th is in the 10th, and the lord of the 10th is in the 5th. The 5th , 9th and 10th houses are very favorable and powerful.
Pending the grāhaka-s¹ involved ( ~planets~) the results or 'blessing' may be a commander of armies (today it could be a politician, a business person with many employees, etc . or even part of the military); this person has the capacity for wisdom and a virtuous life ; again pending the natural qualities of the grāhaka-s forming the yoga.

Note the trines are called out - the 5th and the 9th ( trines are 1st, 5th and 9th houses) in the definition just offered, just so we are using the correct terms.

In your chart ketu is in the 4th, a kendra, and the sun is in 10th ( another kendra - 1,4,7 and 10th are kendra-s); hence not in trines.

Are they ( Sun and ketu) in trines from the Arudha Lagna? No.
In trines from Sun as a lagna itself? No , only the Sun would be in a trine , as calculated from itself.
What if we used the moon as a lagna location ( again using sun and moon for lagna positions and calculations are done and not unusual) . In this case Ketu is a home ( Scorpio) and is in a trine to the moon, but the Sun is in the 3rd - not a trine.Hence no Śiva yoga that I see. Perhaps someone wiser then me sees another calculation that I have dismissed.

praṇām

ConnieD
04 May 2009, 10:29 PM
I am thinking that person did not know how Shiva Yogas are found in a chart.

However, that one has my gratitude because I went looking for more answers to my underlying question: what does my vedic charts show how I relate to G-d in this incarnation?

yajvan
25 July 2014, 03:55 PM
hariḥ oá¹
~~~~~~
namasté

Based upon the information¹ you have provided , your ÄtmakÄraka is rÄhu.

From there ( knowing one's ÄtmakÄraka) look to these posts to guide you further...

part 1 http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=746&highlight=Ishtadevata (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=746&highlight=Ishtadevata)
part 2 http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=748
part 3 http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=764 (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=764)

iti Å›ivaá¹

1. information used: birth day 16th of April 1977, time 9:10 AM, location Mumbai , India

MSG
25 July 2014, 06:01 PM
Namaste Yajvan ji,

Thanks a million for answering my question and clearing my mental confusion.

Just one more request Sir, if my Atmakaraka is Rahu (5th bhava in navamsha), so Ishta Devta is Maa Durga (your posts), what is my amatyakaraka, which indicates my vocation as i have read on many sites. Sir, iv ran from pillar to post and thru many hardships n fields but i havent found my true calling. if there is any other indicator of career choice, please please let me know.

God bless you with abundance with all sacred knowledge there is, for this selfless service to hundreds of souls :).

yajvan
25 July 2014, 06:46 PM
hariḥ oá¹
~~~~~~
namasté

Namaste Yajvan ji,
Thanks a million for answering my question and clearing my mental confusion.

Just one more request Sir, if my Atmakaraka is Rahu (5th bhava in navamsha), so Ishta Devta is Maa Durga (your posts)

Please look at the post above... part 2 http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=748 (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=748)

It has been re-entered. This will inform you of the proper way to calculate the information you are looking for. ( Some error I presume occurred on the posts HDF address' initial entry). Said another way, my calculations do not yield the same results as your outcome. Please read and apply part 2 post shown.

iti Å›ivaá¹