PDA

View Full Version : Any Perfect Yogi/Master currently alive??

omnamonarayanaya
24 April 2009, 11:13 AM
Om Namo Narayanaya

Hello to all !

This is my first post on this forum. For quite a few days, I have been a silent reader of the posts and happy to say that it was quite a great insight into Sanatana Dharma.I liked the posts of senior members like yajvan,sarabhanga,atanu and others.

I have a few questions in my mind and would like to post each one of them as a single post for knowledge and discussions.
Please take some time to reply to my questions.

Q) Is there any perfect yogi currently alive known to any member of this forum? Because I don't know any.
By perfect yogi, I mean the likes of these people below.

Adi Shankaracharya
Shirdi Sai Baba
Lahiri Mayasaya
Ramakrishna Paramhamsa
Ramana Maharishi
Shri Trialinga Swami
Baba KinaRam(The great Aghori)

Also does any know of any great devotees currently living following Bhakti Yoga of the likes of
a)Chaitanya Mahaprabhu
b)Annamayya

Also, Can any one tell me whether Swami Vivekananda was a perfect master like the above - did he in the end realise Brahman? or was he a great spiritual teacher? - I bow to the feet of Swami Vivekananda in any case.

Thanks in advance.

Reagrds,
A well-wisher!!

Om Namo Narayanaya.

yajvan
25 April 2009, 01:26 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

Namasté omnamonarayanaya

Regarding 'masters' , one established in the Supreme, Brahman (brahma niṣṭham¹), lets see what Ādi Śaṅkara says about this¹:

śrotriyo'vṛjino kāma-hato yo brahma-viduttamaḥ || (३४)
brahmaṇyuparataḥ śānto nirindhana ivanalaḥ |
ahetuka-dayā-sindhuḥ bandhur ānamatām satām || (३५)

A Master is one who is well versed in scriptures (śrotriyaḥ), taintless, (avṛjinah) desireless, a perfect knower of the Absloute (brahmaṇyuparataḥ); calm (śānta) like the flame when its fuel is consumed; a boundless ocean of spontaineous compassion for which there is no reason, a friend to all good people (satām) who surrender (ānamatām) to him.

One established in the Supreme, Brahman (brahma niṣṭham) - may we all be blessed even to spend one minute with this svāmin¹.

praṇām

words and references

From Vivekacūḍāmaṇi - 34th and 35th śloka-s. His work is called Vivekacūḍāmaṇi or the Crown jewel of Discrimination ( some say crest jewel) . I am using John Grimes book ISBN 81-208-2038-x
niṣṭham निष्ठ - ground in, being in
avṛjinaḥ अवृजिन- straightforward
svāmin स्वामिन् - a spiritual preceptor; master , lord or owner ; learned brahman or paṇḍita. Note the beauty of this word: From
sva स्व+ asmi अस्मि - sva स्व my own, ones self (also a noun for viṣṇu ) + asmi अस्मि' I am' - we get svāmin & svāmi
paṇḍita पण्डित - a scholar , a learned man , teacher , philosopher

omnamonarayanaya
25 April 2009, 11:58 PM
Om Namo Narayanaya.

Namaste Yajvan and others,

Thanks for your kind post.
I salute and bow at the feet of Adi Shankara for imparting real knowledge to the humankind. May we all get blessed from the Great Holy Master.

India has produced a great number of Yogis/Masters in the past but with the world population at 6.6 billion people, do we not have single Master alive now?
It is indeed a very rare thing to get a Sadguru.

I still feel a Master might be there somewhere on this earth still, but I guess it is fruitless to search for Him through internet - I mean even just to know HIS name.

Times have changed, Modern times have come but the way to reach the Absolute will not change.
for HE is eternal,changeless and timeless.

Q) Has anyone heard of "Shri Janaki Jivan Sharan" ? Is HE still alive ?
HE was a sadhu who was regarded as a jivanmukta.
Please refer to the link below:
http://www.adolphus.nl/sadhus/index.html

Please post your opinions on the great Masters/Yogis.

Pranams.
A well-wisher.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are many paths to HIM, but all of them lead to nonduality.