PDA

View Full Version : Buddhist Gayatri!

saddha
26 April 2009, 03:48 PM
Buddham Saranam Gacchami (pada 1, 8 syllables)
Dhammam Saranam Gacchami (pada 2, 8 syllables)
Sangham Saranam Gacchami (pada 3, 8 syllables)

This is 3 feet (tripada) and 24 syllables!

Unlike the Hindu Gayatri which has the following limitations:

1)one must declare one's gotra/parivara
2)One must gain initiation by a certain age, or one falls and can no longer chant gayatri, differing by caste.
3)One must be a male (there are exceptions, but rare)

...Buddha made it so that we don't need to be limited by our gotra, age, or sex to cleanse our minds -- it's FOR EVERYONE!

Even the meaning is the same

tat savitur varenyam = THAT Light (sun) adore
Buddham Saranam Gacchami - Buddha the repository of Buddhi whom we adore! The Buddha declares he is the manifestation of the greatest light

bhargo devasya dhīmahi = Splendor divine meditate
Dhammam Saranam Gacchami - We meditate on the Dhamma Sanatano!

dhiyo yo nah prachodayāt = May our intelligence be inspired
Sangham Sarhanam Gacchami -- those whose intelligence are inspired!

TatTvamAsi
26 April 2009, 05:27 PM
The Gayatri Mantra has NO limitations. It was formulated by Brahmarishi Vishwamitra in the days of yore in order to help illumine the minds of those who are seeking to experience the nature of reality, who mostly happened to be Brahmin men of a certain age group.

This ridiculous modern interpretation of "it's for everyone" is puerile and honestly is a joke. It's like saying, "Stochastic Calculus is for everyone!" There are many idiots who will never understand Calculus. That does NOT mean that Calculus is limited or has faults! This funny myth propagated by westerners is silly but it is understandable because if they don't repeat this lie, they themselves cannot follow the tradition or practice it!

Having said that, the knowledge of the Brahman, including the Gayatri Mantra cannot be really understood or experienced unless a real guru transmits this knowledge to his dutiful sishya. Despite the fact that every Tom, Dick, and Harry can read the Gayatri Mantra on some website or book, the true essence of the mantra, and the Vedas in general, cannot be interpreted/extrapolated or understood unless one has been initiated into it and is under the tutelage of a proper guru!

2)One must gain initiation by a certain age, or one falls and can no longer chant gayatri, differing by caste.

...Buddha made it so that we don't need to be limited by our gotra, age, or sex to cleanse our minds -- it's FOR EVERYONE!

Buddham Saranam Gacchami - Buddha the repository of Buddhi whom we adore! The Buddha declares he is the manifestation of the greatest light

devotee
26 April 2009, 09:26 PM

Namaste Saddha,

I am surprised the way you have twisted the meaning of "Buddham sharanam ....." etc. I have very high regards for Buddha & Buddhism. However, the way you are trying to impose your views here, is certainly disappointing.

With your posts it seems that you don't really understand Buddha properly. I am sorry but you appear acting under some deep underlying complex within you. What is your purpose behind comparing Hinduism & Buddhism & trying to show that Buddhism has an edge over Hinduism (though not directly but silently) ?

Calm down & find the Buddha within you. Just by reading/memorising Buddhist literature & comparing with Hinduism & concentrating on weaknesses of Hinduism, you will never know real Buddha ! Buddha never said that he was a Buddhist & not a Hindu.

OM

shian
26 April 2009, 11:51 PM
Buddhism is like Hinduism have many sect

and different sect is have different philosopy

what Saddha said is seems like Vajrayana way to understand Buddha teaching

not all of the lineage Gurus in Buddhism is teach Buddha is reject Hinduism
also in Hindu, not all Gurus in Hindu is reject Buddha Dharma.

Even everyone and every beingis in this universe have different percept to understand GOD in mind.

Can you give me proof if GOD in your mind is same with GOD in your Dharma Brothers mind ? even you are is same in sect !!!

who can give me proof please tell me

OM Mahesvaraye Svaha
Om Mahaklaya Svaha

saddha
27 April 2009, 04:57 PM
The Gayatri Mantra has NO limitations. It was formulated by Brahmarishi Vishwamitra in the days of yore in order to help illumine the minds of those who are seeking to experience the nature of reality, who mostly happened to be Brahmin men of a certain age group.

This ridiculous modern interpretation of "it's for everyone" is puerile and honestly is a joke. It's like saying, "Stochastic Calculus is for everyone!" There are many idiots who will never understand Calculus. That does NOT mean that Calculus is limited or has faults! This funny myth propagated by westerners is silly but it is understandable because if they don't repeat this lie, they themselves cannot follow the tradition or practice it!

Having said that, the knowledge of the Brahman, including the Gayatri Mantra cannot be really understood or experienced unless a real guru transmits this knowledge to his dutiful sishya. Despite the fact that every Tom, Dick, and Harry can read the Gayatri Mantra on some website or book, the true essence of the mantra, and the Vedas in general, cannot be interpreted/extrapolated or understood unless one has been initiated into it and is under the tutelage of a proper guru!

The Gayatri mantra does have limitations.

1) It needs to be given by a guru WHO HAS OBTAINED THE GAYATRI...
2) It needs to be taken by a certain age (read Dharma Shastra) -- the age is 24 I believe.
3) It has limitations -- it is transmitted BY A MALE PRIEST to ONLY children of a certain gotra/parivara.

If Hindus wish to know the truth, and love the truth, than please discuss the Hindu Gayatri initiation through Dharma Shastras -- not your personal opinions.

The limitations are expounded in Hindu Dharma Shastras. If you do not accept Hindu Dharma shastras which give instructions on how to initiate one into Vedas/Upanishads, than you are not a Hindu.

Buddhist initiation does not have age, sex or lineage as a limitation -- in fact, any Tom, Dick or Marry can start chanting it if they have faith in Buddha:) .

saddha
27 April 2009, 04:58 PM
Buddhism is like Hinduism have many sect

and different sect is have different philosopy

what Saddha said is seems like Vajrayana way to understand Buddha teaching

not all of the lineage Gurus in Buddhism is teach Buddha is reject Hinduism
also in Hindu, not all Gurus in Hindu is reject Buddha Dharma.

Even everyone and every beingis in this universe have different percept to understand GOD in mind.

Can you give me proof if GOD in your mind is same with GOD in your Dharma Brothers mind ? even you are is same in sect !!!

who can give me proof please tell me

OM Mahesvaraye Svaha
Om Mahaklaya Svaha

Hi Shian,

ALL of Buddhism is Vajrayana teachings. The diamond (Vajira) mind is what an Arahant obtains. This is in the earliest Tipitika.

saddha
27 April 2009, 05:02 PM
Namaste Saddha,

I am surprised the way you have twisted the meaning of "Buddham sharanam ....." etc. I have very high regards for Buddha & Buddhism. However, the way you are trying to impose your views here, is certainly disappointing.

With your posts it seems that you don't really understand Buddha properly. I am sorry but you appear acting under some deep underlying complex within you. What is your purpose behind comparing Hinduism & Buddhism & trying to show that Buddhism has an edge over Hinduism (though not directly but silently) ?

Calm down & find the Buddha within you. Just by reading/memorising Buddhist literature & comparing with Hinduism & concentrating on weaknesses of Hinduism, you will never know real Buddha ! Buddha never said that he was a Buddhist & not a Hindu.

OM

I am quite calm, it is you whose mind seems to be offended at truth.

Look up the Dharma Shastras. What I say is fact and if you hate the truth, you hate the Dharma because the Dharma is the truth and for lovers of truth.

Buddha came because he DID teach something new, this offends Hindus because Hindus think they have everything -- that the Hindu Gayatri is valid for everyone -- THAT IS NOT THE CASE ACCORDING TO ANY DHARMA SHASTRA!

Buddha innovated the Buddhist Gayatri to be chanted by all. That is Buddha's gift. If any person makes an honest study -- he/she will find, I am correct.

Would you like for me to start quoting Dharma Shastras?

satay
27 April 2009, 08:21 PM
Admin Note

Namaskar saddha,

Like Devotee, I am disappointed as well. Personally I have a deep affection for the Buddha dharma and thus for shakyamuni.

Having said that, please note that this is a 'Hindu' Dharma Forum. The purpose of Buddhism forum on this site is to discuss dharma from the Hindu prespective. In fact since this is a Hindu forum, all discussions more or less have to be from the Hindu prespective.

Thus please, stop harassing and do not make further comments of the like

Buddha came because he DID teach something new, this offends Hindus because Hindus think they have everything

It is unreasonable for you to shove Buddhist Dharma Sastras down our throats.

I would be happy to redirect you to some Buddhists forums better suited for your personal agenda...

Thank you.

devotee
27 April 2009, 08:29 PM
I am quite calm, it is you whose mind seems to be offended at truth.

Look up the Dharma Shastras. What I say is fact and if you hate the truth, you hate the Dharma because the Dharma is the truth and for lovers of truth.

Buddha came because he DID teach something new, this offends Hindus because Hindus think they have everything -- that the Hindu Gayatri is valid for everyone -- THAT IS NOT THE CASE ACCORDING TO ANY DHARMA SHASTRA!

Buddha innovated the Buddhist Gayatri to be chanted by all. That is Buddha's gift. If any person makes an honest study -- he/she will find, I am correct.

Dear Saddha,

If you are so happy in Buddhism, what are you doing here ? Go & attain enlightenment. My best wishes are with you.

You have left Hinduism & become a Buddhist. That shows how much you understand Hinduism & Buddhism !

You have no idea what you are talking about. And we don't need a Non-Hindu ( & also a pseudo-buddhist) to teach us our Dharma Shastras ! Are you not happy going to Buddhist forums

Leave your guilty conscious aside. There is no need to justify your action to the world & create hatred. Once you chose to convert, forget about Hinduism. That is not your cup of tea.

OM

saddha
27 April 2009, 09:21 PM
Truly, it is I who am disappointed in "Hindus", instead of inviting and treating a guest like a God inviting a healthy debate, you only want people to come here and say, "Hindus have the highest, the best". It is called the sin of delusion.

Truly only a person who doesn't love the truth, would say "I have great affection for Sakyamuni" -- but "don't shove Buddhist sastras down Hindu throats"...

YOU DON't Love Sakyamuni, because if you did you would read what he said word for word, and you would also know why Buddha said them!:)

Buddha is Vishnu in Hinduism, the protector of the REAL VEDAS. The demons he misguides are the people of Kaliyuga who are in Kaliyuga because they are demonic in nature:

Now this is what Hindu texts say:

He cursed those wicked sages that they would become bereft of the knowledge of Vedas and also that they would no longer be entitled to perform the vedic rituals.

The Sapta rishis requested Gautam to have mercy on those unfortunate brahmins. Gautam then declared that his curse will come true only in Kaliyuga and those brahmins will not be affected by his curse in all the remaining three yugas. VARAHA PURANA, Shiva Purana

So good luck to Hindus trying to gain the upanayanam in Kaliyuga through the Hindu Vedas -- Even Hindu texts don't know if it will work.

Buddha, ONLY BUDDHA gives the Upanayanam in Kaliyuga:

In the Visuddhimagga (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visuddhimagga) it is called "opanayiko" or "upanayanam" as the practice leads "onwards to Nirvana (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nirvana)": nibanam upaneti ti ariya maggo upaneyo...opanayiko,"It leads on to nibanna, thus the Eightfold Path (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eightfold_Path) is onward leading...so it is leading onwards."
In Buddhism, a person of any age, sex or caste can obtain the Upanayanam through refuge in the Triple Gem (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_Gem) and practicing the Eightfold Path (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eightfold_Path).

Hindus don't have the real Tri Vedas, let alone the true Gayatri of Kshatriya Brahmarishi Vishwamitra:

BUDDHA ONLY GIVES THE THREE VEDAS KNOWLEDGE IN KALIYUGA! Keeping the real Vedas safe :

"well brahmin, this description of a brahmin who has the threefold lore (Tevijja) is one thing. The description of him who has the threefold lore in the discipline of the Ariyan is quite another thing." (Anguttara Nikaya:3:6 The Brahmins:Tikanna)[38]

Buddha further describes the Buddhist Triveda discipline (Pali: ariyassa vinaye tevijjo) as being the following three knowledges:

1)Knowledge of past births across cycles of ages (contractions and expansions of the universe).
2)Knowledge of heavens and hells.
3)Knowledge of the destruction of defilements (asavas) which cause rebirth (obtainment of Nirvana).

Good luck to Hindus who will actually understand! Don't walk! Run for refuge in the Lord!

Adios!

:)

saddha
27 April 2009, 09:22 PM
Truly, it is I who am disappointed in "Hindus", instead of inviting and treating a guest like a God inviting a healthy debate, you only want people to come here and say, "Hindus have the highest, the best". It is called the sin of delusion.

Truly only a person who doesn't love the truth, would say "I have great affection for Sakyamuni" -- but "don't shove Buddhist sastras down Hindu throats"...

YOU DON't Love Sakyamuni, because if you did you would read what he said word for word, and you would also know why Buddha said them!:)

Buddha is Vishnu in Hinduism, the protector of the REAL VEDAS. The demons he misguides are the people of Kaliyuga who are in Kaliyuga because they are demonic in nature:

Now this is what Hindu texts say:

He cursed those wicked sages that they would become bereft of the knowledge of Vedas and also that they would no longer be entitled to perform the vedic rituals.

The Sapta rishis requested Gautam to have mercy on those unfortunate brahmins. Gautam then declared that his curse will come true only in Kaliyuga and those brahmins will not be affected by his curse in all the remaining three yugas. VARAHA PURANA, Shiva Purana

So good luck to Hindus trying to gain the upanayanam in Kaliyuga through the Hindu Vedas -- Even Hindu texts don't know if it will work.

Buddha, ONLY BUDDHA gives the Upanayanam in Kaliyuga:

In the Visuddhimagga (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visuddhimagga) it is called "opanayiko" or "upanayanam" as the practice leads "onwards to Nirvana (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nirvana)": nibanam upaneti ti ariya maggo upaneyo...opanayiko,"It leads on to nibanna, thus the Eightfold Path (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eightfold_Path) is onward leading...so it is leading onwards."
In Buddhism, a person of any age, sex or caste can obtain the Upanayanam through refuge in the Triple Gem (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_Gem) and practicing the Eightfold Path (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eightfold_Path).

Hindus don't have the real Tri Vedas, let alone the true Gayatri of Kshatriya Brahmarishi Vishwamitra:

BUDDHA ONLY GIVES THE THREE VEDAS KNOWLEDGE IN KALIYUGA! Keeping the real Vedas safe :

"well brahmin, this description of a brahmin who has the threefold lore (Tevijja) is one thing. The description of him who has the threefold lore in the discipline of the Ariyan is quite another thing." (Anguttara Nikaya:3:6 The Brahmins:Tikanna)[38]

Buddha further describes the Buddhist Triveda discipline (Pali: ariyassa vinaye tevijjo) as being the following three knowledges:

1)Knowledge of past births across cycles of ages (contractions and expansions of the universe).
2)Knowledge of heavens and hells.
3)Knowledge of the destruction of defilements (asavas) which cause rebirth (obtainment of Nirvana).

Good luck to Hindus who will actually understand! Don't walk! Run for refuge in the Lord!

Adios!

satay
27 April 2009, 11:54 PM
Namaskar,

Adios!

Be well.:)

devotee
27 April 2009, 11:56 PM
Namaste Saddha,

Guest is always welcome with open hearts. However, when a guest starts showing his superiority over his hosts, then it is a different situation, isn't it ?

All your quotes don't show much of your knowledge on Buddhism. This is not what real Buddhism is. I don't find much difference between Buddhism & Vedanta.

If you really want to discuss :

i) What do you understand by "Anatta" ? If "Anatta" means, "No-self", what is it which goes into the cycles of death & birth ? What gets "nibbana" ? Then where is the existence of Shakya Muni Buddha or Padmasambhava after their death ? How can they help if there is 'no-self' ?

ii) There are three stages which a monk goes through when he sees a mountain :
a) Mountain is mountain.
b) Mountain is not mountain
c) Mountain is mountain again but the vision has changed.

What is meant by the above ?

iii) In Mahayan Buddhism, it is said, "If you see Buddha, kill Buddha". What does this mean ?

iv) Does the words really carry any meaning, or is it only in our mind ? How does or doesn't chanting Mantras like Buddhist Gayatri help ?

v) The Mind is Buddha in its primordial state. How does it resonate with Vedanta ?

OM