PDA

View Full Version : Filmmaker researching Devadasi heritage

Filmresearch
30 April 2009, 09:24 AM
I am working on a long form, sensitive documentary about the Devadasi system. The project has been researched for over two years and it will look closely at the Devadasi's historical connections to the temple, dance and to the Gods. It will also look at the current crop of Devadasi remaining in India.

We would like to speak with people who have been dedicated themselves or are part of a devadasi family, either here in the UK or in India. We are also looking for anyone willing to talk about the Devadasi system from a religious perspective positive or negative.

I very much look forward to hearing from you and feel that your input would be invaluable to the film we are making.

Jemma
E: Devadasiuk@googlemail.com

Eastern Mind
30 April 2009, 03:24 PM
Check out the Hinduism Today archives. An article was done some time back.

Believer
06 July 2010, 12:39 PM
All the movies/documentaries on India-themed controversial subjects made by Indian immigrants in US and Canada are mainly self-serving projects to dig up dirt and make some money out of the venture. This type of "secular" effort is much appreciated by the film making community here and you get atta-boys with some awards and favorable reviews. The aim is to get some recognition in the H/Wood film community; to stoke ones ego and further ones financial position. The only reason such NRIs flash their Indian-ness badge is to suck the marrow out of their own culture, and never to benefit or nurture the Indian culture. In the name of freedom of expression, and by taking a non-judgmental/secular high moral ground while "digging up dirt" on India, they give themselves a pat on the back while laughing all the way to the bank. Good job my fellow NRIs. You have truly mastered the concept of greed, so prevalent here.