PDA

View Full Version : Goddess Mariamman and the Virgin Mary - A connection?

ScottMalaysia
30 April 2009, 11:17 AM
I posted the following thread on the "Non-Christian Religion" section of Christian Forums. If it seems a little belittling, that's because it was written for Christians who have no idea who Goddess Mariamman is.

Catholics, Orthodox and even some Anglicans the world over are strongly devoted to the Virgin Mary as the Mother of God. They have pictures, icons or statues of the Blessed Virgin in their homes. Orthodox light oil lamps before icons of Mary. There are special prayers and hymns to her (the Akathist for example). People have devotions like the Rosary in honour of Her.

In Southern India (and also in places where there are a lot of South Indian immigrants like Malaysia), Hindus worship a Mother Goddess called Mariamman. The Tamil word "Amman" means "mother", so the name Mariamman means "Mother Mari". She is considered to be a form of Mother Parvati, who also manifests Herself as Durga and Kali. Hindus have statues of Mariamman in the temples, and pictures of Her in their houses. Ghee or oil lamps are lit in shrines to Mariamman, and some devotees may place ghee lamps before Her shrine in the temple. There are special prayers and hymns to Mariamman.

Could there possibly be a connection between Mariamman and the Virgin Mary? Was Mariamman "borrowed" into Christianity as the Virgin Mary? It is also worth considering that many South Indian Hindus (in Malaysia at least) observe a vegetarian diet on Fridays - they refrain from eating meat. This practice will immediately strike a familiar chord with Catholics and Orthodox.

What do you think about the connections here? Please share your thoughts.

Eastern Mind
30 April 2009, 04:58 PM
I posted the following thread on the "Non-Christian Religion" section of Christian Forums. If it seems a little belittling, that's because it was written for Christians who have no idea who Goddess Mariamman is.

I believe there is no connection whatsoever. I also believe that the Christian minds might like to see a connection. Mariamman, and all other Goddess aspects are representing the manifest. Siva/Sakti ... unmanifest causal/ manifest results. There is no individual Goddess. It is a representation only. Of course others will differ in their interpretations. To think that God has gender/sexuality is just plain absurdity. The God beyond form, time and space surely is beyond that too. Aum

rcscwc
05 May 2009, 08:23 PM
I believe there is no connection whatsoever. I also believe that the Christian minds might like to see a connection. Mariamman, and all other Goddess aspects are representing the manifest. Siva/Sakti ... unmanifest causal/ manifest results. There is no individual Goddess. It is a representation only. Of course others will differ in their interpretations. To think that God has gender/sexuality is just plain absurdity. The God beyond form, time and space surely is beyond that too. Aum

Xtians of course will be offended, because that makes Mariamman as another Mary, whom they consider unique.

It will offend Hindus too, as an insidious effort to convert them.

Eastern Mind
05 May 2009, 08:45 PM
Xtians of course will be offended, because that makes Mariamman as another Mary, whom they consider unique.

It will offend Hindus too, as an insidious effort to convert them.

lol -- so easy to offend these days .. might a swell just take vows of silence..