PDA

View Full Version : HDF

atanu
03 May 2009, 12:03 AM
Namaste Friends

I feel that the members should be required to state their religion and broad faith while registration. And I feel that HDF should welcome openly members of any faith under the Sun.

Those who confuse others by flip-flop contrary views in their own posts, either due to lack of understanding, or due to mischief can then be tackled properly. The sarcasm in posts will surely isolate a mischief monger, who feels no need to reflect on alternate views (and answer them) but who has an agenda to belittle others for the sake of perversity alone.

While it is entirely legitimate to have a view and expound it or discuss it to enrich oneself and others but deception is vile. May we have opinion on this?

Om Namah Shivaya

satay
03 May 2009, 09:33 PM
Namaskar Atanu,

New members 'are' required to state their religion at registration. Although I think it is an optional field. The reason being that there is no way to actually validate what is chosen in that field. It entirely depends on the honesty of the registring member and his or her integrity.

Those who register and start breaking the rules left, right and center have obviously lied when signing up because the forum software asks the registrant to 'accept' the terms of registration and that they will follow the site rules. Such members get banned.

Also, I think that everyone 'is' welcome to the forum. That is why we have forums and subforums for religions other than sanatana dharma. Is there anything in particular we should be doing to encourage non-hindus to come to the forum? I am open to ideas.

I try to read all the posts but find that sometimes I just cannot keep up. I request all members to please report the posts if you see that they are against the forum rules or not in alignment with the forum goals.

Thanks for the feedback. I look forward to a discussion on this thread and willing to change whatever is necessary to make the forum a better place.

Thanks,

devotee
03 May 2009, 11:08 PM
I feel that the members should be required to state their religion and broad faith while registration. And I feel that HDF should welcome openly members of any faith under the Sun.

Those who confuse others by flip-flop contrary views in their own posts, either due to lack of understanding, or due to mischief can then be tackled properly. The sarcasm in posts will surely isolate a mischief monger, who feels no need to reflect on alternate views (and answer them) but who has an agenda to belittle others for the sake of perversity alone.

While it is entirely legitimate to have a view and expound it or discuss it to enrich oneself and others but deception is vile. May we have opinion on this?

Namaste Atanu,

I don't think the problem lies in asking the new members to divulge more information about their religion & their orientation. The problem lies in one's conviction, whether right or wrong, & also in egotism.

In one case, one member is so much convinced of Bhakti Marga that he can't accept anything against his conviction. That is not bad as such. The problem is that people never read what the other has posted & instead of "replying" they just repeat what they think is correct, just like a parrot. The reasons cannot work here. No discussion is possible in this case .. it is more of a monologue than a dialogue.

In another case, one member has some idea of a philosophy but has not understood the true meaning behind it. However, the egotism is so high that he is not ready to listen to any idea which can make him feel "losing" in the "debate" ( they don't take it as discussion). This case is worse than the previous one because there is a strong attachment to winning/losing & may cause the discussion to degenerate into a sort of "ego-war". Here, too, logic is of no use & it is better to avoid any discussion with such people (though I myself am guilty of continuing the discussion in some cases)". As in real life such people are better ignored.

Lastly, I really admire Satay being always vigilant unlike sleeping "moderators" on many other similar forums. However, as he has said in his post above, we can make his task easier, if we promptly inform him, if we find someone violating the Forum Rules.

Regards,
OM