PDA

View Full Version : Purush Shukta

Bishawjit
07 May 2009, 02:09 PM
Namashkar,

i have been recently reading Rig Veda when i came across 10-90-12. this verse says about the origin of four varna. i am interested to know does it emphasizes on caste system rather than varna. besides in some of the websites i visited claims purush sukta was added later by brahmans to keep their supremacy.
is it true or just an attempt to defame sanatana dharma?

atanu
09 May 2009, 03:38 PM
Namashkar,

i have been recently reading Rig Veda when i came across 10-90-12. this verse says about the origin of four varna. i am interested to know does it emphasizes on caste system rather than varna. besides in some of the websites i visited claims purush sukta was added later by brahmans to keep their supremacy.
is it true or just an attempt to defame sanatana dharma?

Namaskar Bishwajit,

How do the claimants know that Purusha Sukta was added later by Brahmins? Such claims are as baseless as the claims of opponents that Purusha Sukta supports discrimination based on caste etc. There are a few threads on the subject wherein you will get many opinions and you can sift out the common theme therefrom. I feel that instead of claiming this way and that way, it is better to read Purusha Sukta and understand. Purusha endows His own parts with different functionalities and thus Brahmana and Shudra are both equally puppets. And also, these functional differences exist eternally in all existence -- in all societies.

Om

Bishawjit
10 May 2009, 04:15 PM
Namaskar Bishwajit,

How do the claimants know that Purusha Sukta was added later by Brahmins? Such claims are as baseless as the claims of opponents that Purusha Sukta supports discrimination based on caste etc. There are a few threads on the subject wherein you will get many opinions and you can sift out the common theme therefrom. I feel that instead of claiming this way and that way, it is better to read Purusha Sukta and understand. Purusha endows His own parts with different functionalities and thus Brahmana and Shudra are both equally puppets. And also, these functional differences exist eternally in all existence -- in all societies.

Om

namshkar atanu,

i thought the same. but some people justify the caste system by quoting purush sukta. this is the reason why i asked this question. but i will go through the threads as you suggested.