PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Temple Preparation for a First-timer

Zeth
07 May 2009, 09:01 PM
Hello, folks.

I've a problem with which I hope to find aid here. Long story short, I'm very interested in Sanatana Dharma and have decided to attend at a local temple within the week. The problem is, I don't know quite where to begin or what to have in mind as I go for the first time.

I've read your other threads detailing conduct, what times are best, etc., so I've got the basics, but I still don't quite get a few things. Some of these might be non-issues, but with India's high level of culture and decorum it's hard to know; I'd hate to make a poor impression with good intentions.

-Is it best to go during a puja to experience the group worship, or at an
off-time when the priest might have time to speak with me?

-When I find the priest (I presume he'll be easy to spot), do I wait for him
to approach me, or do I go to him? How do I address him?

-Can you recommend any literature detailing how to undertake the physical
duties of the temple (offering, prayer form, etc.), ideally in reference
format?

-Is there a prayer or offering non-Hindus can make to ask guidance and to
give their first visit(s) increased spiritual purpose? If so, what might I do,
and for which Deity (and why that particular Deity)?

-Should a man avoid looking at or speaking to women as one would in a
mosque, or can he look at or speak to them like he would anyone
(obviously the 'other' motive is not for a temple setting)?

If anyone can offer insight into one or more of these areas, it'll be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Eastern Mind
08 May 2009, 06:46 AM
Namaste, Vannakkam, Hello, Welcome:

Perhaps you can state which city you are in and by coincidence someone on here can host you or even if someone has been to that temple they may be able to provide contacts. Perhaps if you contact the temple first, they may already have volunteer 'guides' for such interested people as yourself.

The two times (empty vs a crowd) you suggest would depend on the purpose. Both have uses. Usually when I host someone at our temple we choose the off time because it is more comfortable talking and the talk interferes with fewer devotees. On the other hand you'll witness more people action the other way.

Another suggestion is to inquire when you get there if someone can guide you. In South Indian style temples there is usually a manager on duty as well.

The priest is not a priest in the western way. Many priests may not even know English well. He has the job of bringing out the vibration of the Gods. This of course would depend on the temple. They vary. In my own experience, in North Indian style temples its more likely that the priest also serves as pundit. In this case he is more likely to talk to you If he is in the middle of a ritual, doing his job, he won't (or shouldn't) stop to talk. So be patient.

Just remember to do in Rome as the Romans do and you'll be fine.

If you search the internet there are sites that give you more information. Try this:www.hinduismtoday.com/archives/2007/1-3/46-53_temple.shtml (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/www.hinduismtoday.com/archives/2007/1-3/46-53_temple.shtml)

Aum Namasivaya

Zeth
08 May 2009, 11:10 PM
Thank you for your reply. On your recommendation, I'll give the temple a call.

If anyone on this site happens to be in attendance at it and might be able to host me, the nearest temple is http://livermoretemple.org/hints//default2.asp?menuID=23 . I'd certainly appreciate it.

Regards.

Eastern Mind
09 May 2009, 10:33 AM
I see they have an excellent expansive website as well. Let us all know how it goes. Aum Namasivaya

atanu
10 May 2009, 10:43 AM
Namaste,
If you search the internet there are sites that give you more information. Try this: www.hinduism (http://www.<b>hinduism</b>)today.com/archives/2007/1-3/46-53_temple.shtml

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste EM,

I find the above link broken. Is it a problem of my browser?

Om

Eastern Mind
10 May 2009, 10:48 AM
Atanu: I don't know why but when I pasted it into Hindu Dharma Forums, only the first part comes up in blue as a link. But if you copy and paste the whole thing into your url box it works. At least it did for me just now. I don't know why it did this, and I am not a computer geek.

EM

Aum Namasivaya

atanu
10 May 2009, 11:10 PM
Atanu: I don't know why but when I pasted it into Hindu Dharma Forums, only the first part comes up in blue as a link. But if you copy and paste the whole thing into your url box it works. At least it did for me just now. I don't know why it did this, and I am not a computer geek.

EM

Aum Namasivaya

Thanks EM. Vigilant satay has edited the hyperlink.

Om