PDA

View Full Version : Too much sex is drains vital energy ??

shian
16 May 2009, 11:08 AM
Namaste

in thread Was Muhammad a Yogi?

Devotee was wrote :

i) Yogis mostly avoid sex ( except the Vaam Margis who use sex for achieving higher level of consciousness), considering it a distraction in yoga, an exercise which leaves deep impression & forms habit & also drains vital energy.

My question is, but why in yoga sex is drains vital energy ?
because as i know, many doctor is said loosing sperm is normally, because in three days sperm will full again. And sperm is no relation with anything vital in our health.

I just understand controlling sex to good ways (like ISCKON said sex only for make a suputra sons, good sons.. and not only for pleasure) it is because for controlling our mind to attach in Baghavan.

But i dont understand about relation with any what drain vital energy.

I hope who understand this can explain to me

Thank You

Nondogmatic Nondualist
22 June 2009, 10:42 PM
Namaste

Devotee was wrote :

i) Yogis mostly avoid sex ( except the Vaam Margis who use sex for achieving higher level of consciousness), considering it a distraction in yoga, an exercise which leaves deep impression & forms habit & also drains vital energy.

because as i know, many doctor is said loosing sperm is normally, because in three days sperm will full again. And sperm is no relation with anything vital in our health.

I just understand controlling sex to good ways (like ISCKON said sex only for make a suputra sons, good sons.. and not only for pleasure) it is because for controlling our mind to attach in Baghavan.

I hope who understand this can explain to me

Thank You

Traditionally, brahmacarya (usually interpreted as including celibacy) is seen as one of the prerequisites for all practice of yoga. It is considered a moral necessity, on the same level as non-stealing and non-harming.

According to Tantra, sexual energy is converted into spiritual energy, which allows for the rising of the Kundalini. Sexual energy is thought to be directed up the spine rather than downward to the loins.

Personally, as an adherent of Advaita, I do not see the necessity of complete celibacy, but it is important to most yogis. I would say that the only way to know for sure is to see for yourself in your own experience whether it is true that sex drains you of vital energy. If it does, then you could either cut back or stop entirely (which may be difficult for you); if not, then there is no problem (though all things in moderation).

devotee
23 June 2009, 01:36 AM
Namaste Shian,

Devotee was wrote :

What I meant by "Vital Energy" is the spiritual energy which propels you upwards. I didn't mean the physical energy.

Again, this is what the Yoga says & Yogis follow or at least try to follow.

OM

shian
25 June 2009, 02:38 AM
Om Mahamahesvaraya Svaha
Namaste

maybe,,,,our ida, pingala, sussuma and prana is not phsycally

more conecction with mind

so if one pleasure in sex without control, its mean one cannot control the mind

if the mind is srava (drain), so the prana and spiritual energy also drain.

in Buddhism Tantrayana, not only sex, but mouth (speech ) also and other karma by body, speech and mind all is can drain spiritual energy

one who cannot control the speech and action is also drain spiritual energy.

amra
25 June 2009, 12:21 PM
Is there a difference between spiritual and physical energy? can they be separated out?

Can physically abstaining from sex create 'spiritual' energy to 'propel you upwards'

As in many of devotees posts there seems to be confusion. I think the point Shian is making is that sex does not drain energy but the incorrect functioning of the mind drains energy. The physical and spiritual nomenclature is outdated dualistic thinking originated by descartes who said mind and matter are two totally seperate entities with no interaction. The ghost in the machine.

There is no 'physical' or 'spiritual' energy only energy. Either everything is spiritual or everything is material.

Eastern Mind
25 June 2009, 04:52 PM
Most schools that teach renunciation in any way teach celibacy, and it does have to do with transmutation of sexual energy into kundalini rising up sushumna. True, there is only one energy, but it comes in many forms.

Excessive talk is also draining.

Aum Namasivaya

atanu
26 June 2009, 01:01 AM
Most schools that teach renunciation in any way teach celibacy, and it does have to do with transmutation of sexual energy into kundalini rising up sushumna. True, there is only one energy, but it comes in many forms.

Excessive talk is also draining.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste EM,

I remember reading something in Padma Purana sometime back that I wish to bring here. And what I write has connection with the message in ZN's signature line 'what causes fall also can uplift'. Padma Purana passage lists certain items that impart strength. Prominent one was the breast of a young female. (I hope, people do not take it prudishly) but how true -- both as a source of eternal food-nourishnment and as the cause of arousal of fervour.

I agree entirely with your 'it does have to do with transmutation of sexual energy into kundalini rising up sushumna' and 'True, there is only one energy, but it comes in many forms'. To generalise a bit more: The externalised mind flitting from objects of desire to objects of desire, is a drain.

It is said that when the mind is absolutely devoid of desire, it is Brahman. In sleep it happens unconsciously.

Om Namah Shivaya

chandu_69
23 August 2009, 09:02 PM
Namaste Shianji,

Yes, it is true sex drains vital energy for those who survive on subsistence diets like the sages.

Semen has very high amounts of Zinc(about 100 times more than blood) and sexual activities deplete this essential mineral.Zinc is vital for a robust immune system.

This is not a problem for meat eaters.Vegetarians have to consume high zinc sources like Peas, milk products(cheese for example), beans etc.