PDA

View Full Version : hello

nac
28 May 2009, 11:27 AM
I'm a Bengali Muslim living in Kolkata. I've been interested in eastern religion since my recent de-conversion from Abrahamic monotheism. I have a few questions concerning Hinduism:

1) Is it true that Hinduism doesn't accept converts?

2) Have Hindu spiritual leaders said anything about fanatical parties like the Shiv Sena and similar groups?

3) What are your thoughts on the Laws of Manu and other classical texts which discuss the caste system?

Spiritualseeker
28 May 2009, 11:39 AM
Hello nac,

welcome. Thanks for asking those questions I look foward to hearing some replies. I practiced Islam for 7 years. I just recently gave it up. Though now I dont really follow a religion but I am indeed interested in eastern religions like Hinduism, Buddhism, and Taoism. Hopefully we will find what we are looking for

Eastern Mind
28 May 2009, 12:35 PM
1) I'm a convert, and most people would think I'm a Hindu so yes.
2) no idea
3) In my opinion laws of Manu are irrelevant, and caste isn't religious

Welcome, and your sojourn will be interesting. You will find a lot of different opinions here, as Hinduism is so very vast.

Aum Namasivaya

nac
28 May 2009, 05:43 PM
Thanks, all.

Hindus believe in the existence and transmigration of souls, am I right? That is, literal reincarnation? How about fate or destiny? A deterministic universe?

I'd also like an answer to question 2, please.

Eastern Mind
28 May 2009, 07:22 PM
Thanks, all.

Hindus believe in the existence and transmigration of souls, am I right? That is, literal reincarnation? How about fate or destiny? A deterministic universe?

I'd also like an answer to question 2, please.

As I said before, you will get a lot of different answers. Here are my personal views.

Yes I believe in reincarnation ... literally. I remember my last past life, and that of 4 out of 5 of my children, but that's all irrelevant. I do not believe in fate, as we have the will to get up and change our future this very minute, either in a good way, or a bad way.

For question 2, most religious leaders are not politicians at the same time. In fact, if they are renunciates, (most swamis, or monks) they would also give up on politics as it is part of the world. The goal of life in our religion is self - realisation.

Aum Namasivaya

devotee
28 May 2009, 10:00 PM

2) Have Hindu spiritual leaders said anything about fanatical parties like the Shiv Sena and similar groups?

3) What are your thoughts on the Laws of Manu and other classical texts which discuss the caste system?

Namaste Nac,

Your answers are given below :

1) Hindus generally don't believe in "conversion" & don't try anyone to convert. However, there is no bar in joining Hinduism. There are many organisations, e.g. Arya Samaj which formally help in "conversion" to Hinduism.

2) Religions & politics are two different things but everywhere there are politicians who have used religion for their political gains. True Hindu Saints would never like to associate themselves with any political group, more so with hardliners like Shiv Sena etc.

3) Manu Smriti affects the structure of the Hindu Society & various social rules to be followed. However, I doubt if even 10% Hindus are aware of laws of Manu & follow those. Hindus have discarded many rituals which became irrelevant with change in time.

Actually, Hinduism is not as simple as Abrahimic religions. If you consider an Abrahimic religion like a pond, the Hinduism is like a sea (and I am not at all belittling Abrahimic religions, anyone who has knowledge of all these religions would say the same). There are many sects within Hinduism & every sect has its rules varying from others. There are hundreds of books & many philosophies which may seem contradictory. You may accept any theory that you like & my not accept whatever you don't. No one is going to cut off your head if you have a different view. However, all Hindus accept the Shruti or the Vedas as the highest authority. All scriptures must conform to the Vedas.

The Truth is one & Hinduism doesn't only talk about theories written in books. The Hindus accept Truth which can be realised like scientific Truth. You may follow any path but you will reach the same final destination. Reading books, following one path or the other is not very important .... you must realise the Truth "yourself" ... you must know Who You Are ... what this world is ... what God really is .... that is the ultimate goal of every human being. Hindu Gurus & the Scriptures echo this Truth : You too can Realise That ! After Realisation .... there are no doubts left, no questions, no desires burn, no bondage & no restlessness.

OM

atanu
29 May 2009, 11:39 AM
How about fate or destiny? A deterministic universe?

Namaste nac,

EM has already given a view. I will attempt to give another perspective but I pre-warn that this topic is complex.

The scriptures say that the Lord, Ishwara, has bound the Pasus (egoistic animals that we are). So, Veda also calls Him Pasupati (Lord of egoist animals) . To this extent, the Universe is deterministic and Niyati (taqdir in your scripture) is the supreme controller.

But fetters (the bondage of destiny or fate) fall off with absolute submission to Him. The bondage is also overthrown by His grace when a 'pasu' begins to enquire "Destiny for whom?"

Om

Eastern Mind
29 May 2009, 12:25 PM
Namaste all:

Devotee:
What excellent answers! Easy to understand and enough depth and clarity to get the real points across. Reminds me of my Guru who spoke and wrote in simple American English.

Atanu:
I agree with you as usual.
On the subject of fate, I have observed first hand too many people using it as an excuse: "Oh, it must be my karma. I must be destined to be broke, have failed relationships etc. etc." That is why I like to take the stance that you can change your fate with will power. But in the ultimate way of looking at things, I believe truly it is every soul's destiny to realise the Self within and attain moksha, whether they know it or not ... whether they accept it or not.

Nac: I hope your search is fruitful. One way to get clarity and help is to beseeech the God or gods with prayer. Ask for clarity or answers in a humble sincere way. It is their job to guide you in the right direction.

Aum Namasivaya

brahman
31 October 2009, 04:02 AM
I'm a Bengali Muslim living in Kolkata. I've been interested in eastern religion since my recent de-conversion from Abrahamic monotheism. I have a few questions concerning Hinduism:

Personal opinion

1) There is nothing such as 'Hinduism',
believer of vedic principles can follow Sanadhana Dharma.

2) Politics and religion is different.(we have the freedom to choose)

3) let us know your ideas about caste systems please.