PDA

View Full Version : Updates

atanu
29 May 2009, 02:36 AM
Some may be surprised with this post, wondering why this subject matter here?

This is about battle with updates, which I write here so that any one who faces same situation may be able to cut a short cut. This battle has lasted for about a month, causing a few sleepless nights for me.

I am using Vista Business Edition OS with SP1 and all latest updates. As Internet Security and Virus protection tool, I used McAffee 9.3.

All was well, with Windows defender and mCaffee guarding me and with shower of updates. There was strong protection, until about a month back, when the Security Center in Vista started warning me that full scan with Windows Defender was overdue. Mcaffee also warned me similarly.

Then the problems started. As soon as I put the PC on full scan with either Defender or with Viruscan, the computer crashed -- without any message or warning. After millions of trials, chats with Mcaffee and Vista, and millions of crashes, I got a solution today. I saw in Sytem Information tool of Windows that crashes were "App hang Up" or "App Crashes" and the associated number traced back to Mcaffee, which was hanging up and instead of solving PC problem, was not allowing the PC to run. This is not pointing a finger to Mcaffee but to indicate that there were incompatibilties between Vista and Mcaffee.

I removed Mcaffee with a Mcaffee provided tool called MCPR. This is essential since Windows does not remove McAffe (or Norton) completely. I also removed the traces of Norton (that came with the laptop). Then I restored the Windows firewall to its pristine default state. And then installed Symantec Internet Security.

Now the PC is smooth. The funniest part is that there was no Virus, no malware or no spies in the PC.

Hope this may be of use.

Om

Znanna
30 May 2009, 08:16 PM
Still XP here, thank goodness. Reasonably stable.

I must say, though, that antivirus and automatic download update things have been my biggest banes,

ZN

yajvan
30 May 2009, 10:02 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~

Namasté atanu,

I have had simular problems in the past. Running Defender and another anti-virus tool ( I think it was Norton). It only gave me grief.
I too am on Vista O/S, yet I use Home Addition. If I had a choice I would have stayed on XP , but buying a new computer I went with Vista®.

That said, I use AVG Anti Virus ©. There are two versions. Free and a subscription. I use the 'free' version ( rev 8.5 I think) and have been using it for 1 1/2 years ( with regular updates). This app did infact find issues that Norton passed up.

It is light weight and easy to use - not all the bells, whistles, knobs, levers of Norton.
For me it works well. If you google AVG free you will find it. You may have to hunt to get the 'free' version if you wish to try it. They like to push you to the subscription version. I do not run it with Defender.

Running two Virus tools as I undersand it may cause issues - and this was the crux of this post. Perhaps this is where the problem lies.

praṇām