PDA

View Full Version : The cows in the Vedas

orlando
13 July 2006, 11:25 AM
Namaste all.
As many people know the cows are sacred animals of Hinduism.
Now please read Rig-Veda,book 6,hymn 28.By http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/rigveda/rv06028.htm

I. THE Kine have come and brought good fortune: let them rest in the cow-pen and be happy near us.
Here let them stay prolific, many-coloured, and yield through many morns their milk for Indra.
2 Indra aids him who offers sacrifice and gifts: he takes not what is his, and gives him more thereto.
Increasing ever more and ever more his wealth, he makes the pious dwell within unbroken bounds.
3 These are ne'er lost, no robber ever injures them: no evil-minded foe attempts to harass them.
The master of the Kine lives many a year with these, the Cows whereby he pours his gifts and serves the Gods.
4 The charger with his dusty brow o'ertakes them not, and never to the shambles do they take their way.
These Cows, the cattle of the pious worshipper, roam over widespread pasture where no danger is.
5 To me the Cows seem Bhaga, they seem Indra, they seem a portion of the first-poured Soma.
These present Cows, they, O ye Indra. I long for Indra with my heart and spirit.
6 O Cows, ye fatten e'en the worn and wasted, and make the unlovely beautiful tolook on.
Prosper my house, ye with auspicious voices. Your power is glorified in our assemblies.
7 Crop goodly pasturage and be prolific drink pure sweet water at good drinking places.
Never be thief or sinful man your matter, and may the dart of Rudra still avoid you.
8 Now let this close admixture be close intermigled with these Cows,
Mixt with the Steer's prolific flow, and, Indra, with thy hero might.

Regards,
Orlando.

yajvan
13 September 2006, 09:05 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~~

Hello and Namaste,
AS the Kavi (rishi) of the ved spoke and cognized the satyam( truth) they spoke in symbols. Such as the cow, yes we know of this as the animals that are important to society but the rishi's of the ved, used various ideas/concepts to speak of satyam rtam brhat ( Th Truth, Right, and ,(Vast). The Cows that you speak play an important role in thier instruction of what they 'seen'/ cognized.

They spoke of Agni ( divine will) and Indra ( Divine mind) , Soma as the delight of existence... just as they speak of Vaishvanara ( from Vast or totality+ nara or leader , so the leader of this totality/universve).

All of the deva's that are in the Ved are in us and can be apprecaited and contacted, so says Sri Aurobindo and others.

If there is interest, perhaps this forum can discuss the cows (gau), the soma, agni, the ashwins, etc. and others and extract the rasa ( essence) of this great knowledge.

I hope to contribute to the discussions of the Upanishads and the Ved and learn from others. The Upanishads are my delight to read and to share with those that find the delight in this knowledge.

IN all the worlds , in all beings, in all selves He (Vaishvanara) eats the food. Chandogya Upanishad.

pranams

sarabhanga
15 September 2006, 08:04 AM
Hari Om !

Namaste Yajvan, and welcome to Hindu Dharma Forums.

The Fire, the Cows, the Nectar, and the Twin ~ these conceptions are essential to the Veda, and well worthy of consideration. :)

yajvan
15 September 2006, 07:07 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~~

Namaste and thank you for your response...
I would hope to hear from others on the key deva's we find in the Rk Ved.
It is with my study of the Upanishads, the ved, etc from R.L. Kashyap, TV Kapali Shastri, Sivananda, Krishananda, and others I form my opinions to get to know tad ekam ( that ONE) and compliment my sadhana .

The rishi's ( kavi) of the Ved used symbolism (sanketa) to communcate thier message of what they cognized, and also to protect the knowledge.

With that when people read the ved, the esoteric ( ninya) meanings are not at the surface and it takes those with enlighteded vision to assist in understanding the deeper meanings. The Upanishads even say the deva's prefer to be indirect, so with the help of guru's , pandits, jivanmuki, we need to unfold the truths in the ved.
So, the soma of the 9th mandala of the rk ved may be seen as a creeper, but to the rishi's it was the essense of delight that is 'pressed' out from the actions we perform.. This delight is something the deva's ( Indra) find delightful. So the conversation is how does Indra enjoy this?
Who is Indra? TV Kapali Shastri, schooled by Sri Aurobindo suggests Indra is Divine Mind, as Agni is Divine Will... Indra is known as surupa kratnu, or the fashioner of perfect performs. For all the devas, Indra, Agni, the rishi's aim is to bring one ( us) to higher levels of consciousness and perfection.

So, those on this list that seek the SELF... its said ( Mundaka and Katha Upanishads) the Self reveals itself to itSELF. We think we make the choice, yet the Self has chosen us already!

I am in hopes I can listen to others and gain thier insight of what they think and what they are experiencing , as we all pursue to remove the knotts ( granthinam) of ignorance that bind us to finite thinking.

I wish all on this forum that Sanatkumara ( the divine child born of Brahma's intellect) come to our aid to remove those knotts. This is found in the Chhandogya Upanishad .

pranams,
yajvan