PDA

View Full Version : Roma Gypsies and Vedic scriptures

Indra
14 June 2009, 11:31 PM
Namaste.

I talked to a indian brahmin guy via email and he told me that the vedas and the baghavad gita held gypsies to be unclean and lower than the "lowest sudras".

here are his words

the Bhagvad Gita and Vedas held Gypsies to be unclean and not worth mixing with....according to the Hindu Vedic system, Gypsies are held lower than the lowest caste of 'Shudras', and were not at all Aryan......that is what the Ancient Aryan caste system says in the Vedic scriptures

Is that true? I didnt know before that the vedas and the baghavad gita mentions gypsies. Can you help me out and quote the scriptures?

Thanks

devotee
15 June 2009, 12:14 AM
I talked to a indian brahmin guy via email and he told me that the vedas and the baghavad gita held gypsies to be unclean and lower than the "lowest sudras".

Is that true? I didnt know before that the vedas and the baghavad gita mentions gypsies. Can you help me out and quote the scriptures?

Namaste Indra,

You don't need anyone to tell you where you stand in Hinduism. BG and the Vedas declare that you are the nothing but the Brahman as everything in this universe is. How can you be above or below in status to anyone, dear ? There is nothing in the Vedas & the Bhagwad Gita to support the views of the person who told you so.

The Caste-system is there in Manu Smriti (and it doesn't talk about gypsies but all Hindus) & that is a very complicated issue to discuss. Today, majority of Hindus don't really even know what actually is there in Manu Smriti let alone follow it like dictates in Q'uran & the Bible.

The birth is not important Indra, it is your Karma which is important. Read the Bhagwad Gita yourself & you will come to know that what your "friend" was saying was really not correct. The BG does talk about the Varnas but Varnas are not the same as caste by birth. Your Varna keeps on changing depending upon in what state of mind you are & how you progress spiritually.

OM

MahaHrada
15 June 2009, 12:25 PM
You can find a lot of Information about Indian Roma, their Religion, Culture, Activities and also History at this webpage:

http://www.banjaratimes.com

MahaHrada
17 June 2009, 06:28 AM
The Romani people are never specifically mentioned in any Hindu text.

Om Namah Shivaya. Jai Mata Kali. Om Subramanya Namah.

Namaskar

Is there a scholarly consens on this? In the Website Banjaratimes i found many articles that say that Banjaras and Roma are connected.
For instance see this excerpt from an article:

Everything that was said about origin of Roma, based on written documents, can serve as a reliable proof that Roma – in respect to their appearance, temperament, language, folklore, traits of character and other sacred values-are part, i.e. members of the big Indian nation of Roma and they are most related to Banjaras, a big tribe of that nation. Their native country is India, their real home is Panjab in the middle part of the area along the Indus and further all the way to the desert Tar. Roma call India Baro Than, which means the big land of ancestors. In spite of time, place and extensive metamorphosis in many European countries, where they have often been like a grain of salt in an ocean, they remain independent in many aspects. On this basis, it is possible nowadays to accept their relations to other Roma groups in India as scientific fact.

Bajram Haliti

http://www.banjaratimes.com/27601/29501.html

OmSriShivaShakti
17 June 2009, 09:52 AM
Please go here: http://www.fsigenetics.com/article/S1872-4973(07)00378-X/abstract

So apparently I was wrong in saying that Romani in general are of Jat ancestry, only Macedonian Romani are. Other Romani are of the ancestry of Malabarese (Tulus, Malayalis, etc.) and Malaysian Tamil ancestry. This was interesting for me particularly since I am also Tulu.

Indra
17 June 2009, 10:24 AM
Please go here: http://www.fsigenetics.com/article/S1872-4973(07)00378-X/abstract

So apparently I was wrong in saying that Romani in general are of Jat ancestry, only Macedonian Romani are. Other Romani are of the ancestry of Malabarese (Tulus, Malayalis, etc.) and Malaysian Tamil ancestry. This was interesting for me particularly since I am also Tulu.

Thanks