PDA

View Full Version : Are the Vedas from God?

OmSriShivaShakti
17 June 2009, 11:09 AM
I had a question that has troubled me. Are the Vedas from God or are they the creation of rishis beliefs, writings, and sayings that were eventually compiled into one extrensive set of works? I ask this because we know that God came down to earth in the form of Lord Krishna to tell the Bhagavad Gita to Arjuna but we have no such story of the Vedas.

atanu
17 June 2009, 12:09 PM
I had a question that has troubled me. Are the Vedas from God or are they the creation of rishis beliefs, writings, and sayings that were eventually compiled into one extrensive set of works? I ask this because we know that God came down to earth in the form of Lord Krishna to tell the Bhagavad Gita to Arjuna but we have no such story of the Vedas.

Namaste Om,

Rig Veda contains within it its bringing forth as below:

Book 10 HYMN CLXXXl. Visvedevas.

1.VASISTHA mastered the Rathantara, took it from radiant Dhatar, Savitar, and Visnu,
Oblation, portion of fourfold oblation, known by the names of Saprathas and Prathas.
2. These sages found what lay remote and hidden, the sacrifice's loftiest secret essence.
From radiant Dhatar, Savitar, and Visnu, from Agni, Bharadvaja brought the Brhat.
3 They found with mental eyes the earliest Yajus, a pathway to the Gods, that had descended.
From radiant Dhitar, Savitar, and Visnu, from Surya did these sages bring the Gharma.

coolbodhi
17 June 2009, 02:08 PM

Yes, vedas are from God.

Unlike the abharmic religions where a book or collection of books are written by a man, Vedas are the breath of God and are not man mad imaginations.

Ganeshprasad
17 June 2009, 03:53 PM
Pranam

I don't know why you should be troubled by this at all, if you had done even a bit of research, and then you would have found that Vedas are called Apurhshya. First you should learn what is sruti and smriti.

And for your info, Lord Krishna did not come specifically to Speak Bhagvat Gita to Arjun but that is secondary.

Frankly if someone going to direct a Hindu to a site of some one who is known Hindu basher then I have to question your sincerity of this question, I may be wrong but nothing I have read so far in your posts give me confidence of your motives.

Jai Shree Krishna

Sagefrakrobatik
18 June 2009, 04:24 AM
I think this is legitimate dissent. Dissent is good. I was watching a PBS special yesterday and some black guy who converted was saying that the fact that Judaism allowed him to question his religion and debate it made judaism appeal to him. In the Talmud you find instances of rabbis debating with each other on all kinds of issues. This is perhaps the most poignant question of any religion. If the scriptures are not of God then the religion loses its legitimacy. Im not a Hindu but i would like to respond somewhat intelligiently and rationally when someone says that Hinduism is nothing more than Idolatry or worse is work of Satan. I am more so agnostic I cant say definatively whether or not God can be obtained through Hinduism anymore than i could say the same for any other religion. Even Christian apologist themselves have to answer to critics who question the Historocity of Christ and the ressurection. Likewise Hinduism should have to undergo the same historical scrutiny, if it wants to distance itself from ancient mythologies like from ROme and Greece.

satay
18 June 2009, 11:57 AM
namaskar,

I see your point, however, this obession with 'historicity' is somewhat of a western thing or more specifically a christian thing. Chrisitians are obessed with proving 'historocity' of JC because otherwise their whole religion falls apart.

Not sure if you are familiar but hinduism encourages debates. Debates have been going on for centuries among the different groups on specific interpertations of scriptures.

I think this is legitimate dissent. Dissent is good. I was watching a PBS special yesterday and some black guy who converted was saying that the fact that Judaism allowed him to question his religion and debate it made judaism appeal to him. In the Talmud you find instances of rabbis debating with each other on all kinds of issues. This is perhaps the most poignant question of any religion. If the scriptures are not of God then the religion loses its legitimacy. Im not a Hindu but i would like to respond somewhat intelligiently and rationally when someone says that Hinduism is nothing more than Idolatry or worse is work of Satan. I am more so agnostic I cant say definatively whether or not God can be obtained through Hinduism anymore than i could say the same for any other religion. Even Christian apologist themselves have to answer to critics who question the Historocity of Christ and the ressurection. Likewise Hinduism should have to undergo the same historical scrutiny, if it wants to distance itself from ancient mythologies like from ROme and Greece.

devotee
18 June 2009, 10:23 PM
I see your point, however, this obession with 'historicity' is somewhat of a western thing or more specifically a christian thing. Chrisitians are obessed with proving 'historocity' of JC because otherwise their whole religion falls apart.

Not sure if you are familiar but hinduism encourages debates. Debates have been going on for centuries among the different groups on specific interpertations of scriptures.

Namaste,

Satay has pointed correctly about the "historicity" obsession of Western people. This question, "Are the Vedas from God ?", assumes someone in finite form who comes to this earth & gives a collection of some commandments etc. ... Vedas ... Jnana comes first before God. Why ? "Jnana", the Pure Intellect is the Absolute. It is without a beginning and without an end. It doesn't arise in our brain ... we and everything else are within that & it is revealed in purity of mind.

Vedas don't exist because of God ... the existence of God is proved because it is revealed in the Vedas.

---------------------------------------------------------
Regarding Bhagwad Gita coming from Lord Krishna for the first time, I would like to clarify that there is nothing in the Bhagwad Gita which is not already there in the Vedas.

OM

OmSriShivaShakti
19 June 2009, 02:02 PM
Thank you devotee, I think you have just answered my question!