PDA

View Full Version : ISKCON' s reason for no onions or garlic

Peshalah
22 June 2009, 01:38 AM
I posted this question as a thread elsewhere but I was wondering what followers of ISKCON's reason for no garlic or onions is. Is there a Scriptural mandate from the Veda's, Upanisads or other reputable source saying we shouldn't eat these?
I have been a vegetarian for a while but I still eat garlic and all
manner of onions; regular onions, long green onions, leeks and chives.
Are all of these supposed to be avoided? And what about carrots? Someone told me that carrots should also not be eaten. I can do without garlic and without carrots. But I especially like to eat leeks and sometimes onions. However, I want to please Krishna and I want all my food to be offerable to Him. Though I am not yet convinced that onions shouldn't be eaten. If I want the food I eat to be completely acceptable and offerable to Krishna, do I have to give up leeks and onions too? Is there a Scriptural mandate from the Veda's, Upanisads or other reputable source saying we shouldn't eat these?

Eastern Mind
22 June 2009, 06:37 AM
I'm not sure if any ISKCON people follow this site. Perhaps you would get your answer from their sites, discussion boards etc. Best of luck. Out of curiousity, I hope you share your answer here after.

AUM

Znanna
22 June 2009, 09:09 PM
In my way of looking at things, if you feel more of the spirit by avoiding onions and garlic, go for it~ZN

Peshalah
23 June 2009, 10:22 AM
Yeah, I may be straining at a gnat here, I know. But I am very curious.
I'll try to find out what ISKCON thinks from their website and post the answer here if I find out.

Hiwaunis
23 June 2009, 10:42 AM
I posted this question as a thread elsewhere but I was wondering what followers of ISKCON's reason for no garlic or onions is. Is there a Scriptural mandate from the Veda's, Upanisads or other reputable source saying we shouldn't eat these?
Are all of these supposed to be avoided? And what about carrots? Someone told me that carrots should also not be eaten. I can do without garlic and without carrots. But I especially like to eat leeks and sometimes onions. However, I want to please Krishna and I want all my food to be offerable to Him. Though I am not yet convinced that onions shouldn't be eaten. If I want the food I eat to be completely acceptable and offerable to Krishna, do I have to give up leeks and onions too? Is there a Scriptural mandate from the Veda's, Upanisads or other reputable source saying we shouldn't eat these?

Pranam,
Remember the food we eat has a subtle affect on the 3 ganas (energies that control certain actions/directions that we take in life). By eating what one desires is one way of knowing that you are being controlled by your rajastic or tamanistic (not sure of spelling) ganas. The goal is to be controlled by our sattvic ganas.

It is not that hard to give up eating certain foods. Just experiment with foods that have similiar taste. It is a matter of re-programming your taste buds to do what is the ultimate best for you. As human beings we can adjust to almost anything. Also, there is always Ganapati Ganesha waiting to help you.
Good luck towards your enlightenment.
Namaste,
Hiwaunis

Peshalah
24 June 2009, 07:43 AM
Many thanks Hiwaunis. I am not sure about ISKCONs reasons for not eating garlic or onions but it is interesting to note that some Buddhists don't eat garlic or onions because they say that if these are eaten raw it increases your anger and if these are eaten cooked it increases your desire for sex and since they are trying to free themselves from desire they think these things are better off avoided. I think that it is the same branch of Buddhists who, like strict followers of ISKCON, don't eat carrots. These Buddhists don't eat any roots because it would be eating the plants life source. They only eat the part of the vegetable that can grow again and leave the root in the ground.
My friend follows ISKCON and he was told a story about a cows blood that dropped in numerous places on the ground and then from that grew all manner of onions, carrots and garlic. But I don't have the adress (reference) of that story in the Scripture. Niether am I sure that this means these things should not be eaten. I want to ask someone from ISKCON if they can give me the source and a small exerpt so I can read it myself.

Yogkriya
31 July 2009, 08:15 AM
Many thanks Hiwaunis. I am not sure about ISKCONs reasons for not eating garlic or onions but it is interesting to note that some Buddhists don't eat garlic or onions because they say that if these are eaten raw it increases your anger and if these are eaten cooked it increases your desire for sex and since they are trying to free themselves from desire they think these things are better off avoided. I think that it is the same branch of Buddhists who, like strict followers of ISKCON, don't eat carrots. These Buddhists don't eat any roots because it would be eating the plants life source. They only eat the part of the vegetable that can grow again and leave the root in the ground.
My friend follows ISKCON and he was told a story about a cows blood that dropped in numerous places on the ground and then from that grew all manner of onions, carrots and garlic. But I don't have the adress (reference) of that story in the Scripture. Niether am I sure that this means these things should not be eaten. I want to ask someone from ISKCON if they can give me the source and a small exerpt so I can read it myself.

Dear Peshalah,

Namaskar!

There are two different versions of Iskcon not eating onion garlic. Primary is that it is tamoguni (lowest of the three gunas, subtle qualities present in living entities and in everything else in the universe). The stories are -
one that u sited, other is Lord Vishnu's fight with a demon and while fighting his nails and body hair (or blood in the other case) falls to the ground and there start appearing/growing onions and garlics. From some purana.

Matter of fact is that you cannot annihilate Tamo Guna and Rajo Guna from your life and still be fit to live in present day environment. You need the right and healthy combination of all these three gunas in your life to be used at different points of time. The same was done by people in other yugas too, until and unless they were engaged intensively to attain a pure sattvic siddhi for spiritual upliftment. But again they used tamo guna and rajo guna in proper balance. One needs to defend oneself. So you need tamo guna. or rajo guna for managing family life nicely which again is your duty as prescribed in the Vedas as well as Lord Krishna in Gita. One should be steadfast on his dharma or duty.
So its not a big deal if you eat onion or not really. Its more of a pandit thing that crept in during the Bhakti kaal in the last about 1200 years.
Besides onion and garlic contain medicinal properties. Living in a hot climate or extreme cold one needs them.
Always remember, the number one priority is protection of the body and its sustenance without which you cannot progress spiritually or work out your karma. Just having the soul is not of much use. The soul needs the body.
So if it helps you keep healthy, you should take it. Be need based, not lust based. Lust in taste or other things.

Having a pure sattvic diet does help in purer thoughts. A sadhak needs to watch his mind and keep it straight as an arrow. Always keep in mind your aim and how to attain it, being steadfast on it. Then see if eating onion helps or hampers with it. Do what helps. Don't go for dogmas as Iskcon people. I've seen so many undernourished Iskcon people in Russia who don't get vegetables as they are too expensive and many other things people easily get in India. They used to rely on inion and garlics for immunity in harsh winters. So body must be protected and mind must be watched. These are two basic principles my friend. Others are do good karmas, don't earn bad ones. People in sects and sampradayas get way too attached to specific minute things. They help but one doesn't need to worry too much about them. Make sure your main aim is being followed steadfastly.
Do planetary corrections through sadhna and other procedures for any such problems.
May God Bless you.
Best regards,
नम: शिवाय।
ॐ परम तत्वाय नारायणाय गुरुभ्यो नम:
Yogkriya.

Sudarshan
01 August 2009, 02:01 PM

Most vaishNava-s do not take onions, garlic etc. I personally know many smArta-s who avoid onions and tuber crops. manu saMhita has the relevant references.

http://oaks.nvg.org/pv6bk4.html#5

Personally I think it is the influence of Jainism on Hinduism that made many Hindus vegans. Food has a role in influencing thoughts and emotions so this maybe scientific.

When I was younger I was crazy about onions and used to eat it almost with every meal. I even used to eat eggs. Ever since I stopped these I have personally felt a great peace in meditation so I think restricting certain foods has an effect on our spiritual health. It becomes rather difficult when impose ourselves lots of food restriction if we travel a lot.

amra
01 August 2009, 03:31 PM
The demon destroyed by Sri Vishnu was none other than the imposter Rahu, who imitated the devas' to drink the sacred Amrit. When Vishnu was informed of this deception by the sun and moon he cut the demon in half. Unfortunately some amrit went into the demon and made him immortal. He now revenges the sun and moon by consuming them occasionaly. He is a shadowy planet who causes confusion and obscuration and proliferation of desires, he is the force of maya - deception and is to be respected. His blood fell to earth and where it fell garlic sprouted up, garlic is said to have a rejuvinative effect on the body similar to what amrit has, but the effect on the mind is the effect of Rahu